main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Your favorite little moment or detail in the PT? (image heavy)

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Chancellor Yoda, Apr 30, 2015.

1. Binary Sunset

Binary Sunset Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 31, 2014
    My mind just exploded like the Saa'lak, Alderaan, the two Death Stars, the Executor and the Liberty did. Thumbs up to George!

2. chagrian_scavenger

chagrian_scavenger Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 17, 2015
    I love Anakin and Obi-Wan's bickering in Attack of the Clones over Anakin constantly losing his lightsaber.
    And when his saber ultimately gets cut in half in the droid factory, Anakin says 'Obi-Wan's gonna kills me'.

Also, I love the running gag about Obi-Wan's distaste of flying in AOTC and ROTS.

3. MarcJordan

MarcJordan Force Ghost star 4

Nov 17, 2014
    Palpatine in the big reveal to Anakin: I KNOW you would. I can FEEL your ANGER, it gives you FOCUS! It makes you STRONGER.

[​IMG]

Undoubtedly this whole scene is riveting and IMO a world class Academy Award (R) deserving performance. My favorite little moment in it is the above words and Ian's facial countenance is dramatic, tense, and pardon my language "erogenous and arousing". Infact the word FOCUS is said in such a crude way like a dirty word. I don't know how else to explain it. Im 100% sure it was intentional by GL.

MJ

4. MarcJordan

Nov 17, 2014
    "I'm sorry Sir, it's time for you to leave"

[​IMG]

The inflection of these words by Temuerra Morrison, is wrought with mixture of regret, kindness and threat (at least how i sense it). The way the Troopers point the blasters, convey they mean Bail has no business here.

MJ

5. MarcJordan

Nov 17, 2014
    Again from ROTS, and the continuation of the Sidious reveal to Anakin... Anakin lights up his lightsaber and at this moment had a chance to end Palpatine's scheme. I didn't expect Anakin getting this opportunity before seeing the film. What would have happened if he did swing at Palpatine? [face_nail_biting] What would have been the repercussions? What transpired was Anakin said he'll handover Palpatine to the Jedi.

[​IMG]

Speaking of handover, I couldn't help think about ROTJ, when Luke meets Vader and it is revealed that Luke calls Vader "Anakin" and Vader will be handing over Luke to the Emperor (Sidious). Parallel?

[​IMG]

MJ

AusStig, Senator Wan, wobbits and 6 others like this.
  6. DarthSheev

DarthSheev Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 9, 2015

I love this scene to pieces. Palpatine really was a manipulative genius. The way he speaks, it really makes you think he is a kind benevolent leader, but the shimmers of ultimate evil can be seen just below the surface. This has got to be the part where most people who had doubts about Palps and Sidious being the same put two and two together. Just look at his face when he says "He could save others from death. But not himself." Reading Darth Plagueis made me love this scene and ROTS as a whole just that much more. Absolute brilliance.

7. MarcJordan

Nov 17, 2014
    GL once said that Star Wars was written as if seen from the eyes of R2 and C3PO. And in TPM we see this moment. We experience it when C3PO is looking down over Anakin while he's preparing and collecting his stuff to leave. I thought Jake was excellent here and his disdain to leave C3PO incomplete, and rush off for the greatest adventure of his life was put in great effect. Love the part "hope mum doesn't sell you or anything" ROTFL!

[​IMG]

MJ

8. MarcJordan

Nov 17, 2014
    [​IMG]

The moment I saw above, I recalled below. Like Mother Like Daughter. In contrasting rooms, but saved later by Father/Son.
    [​IMG]

MJ

9. MarcJordan

Nov 17, 2014
    Mace Windu was a really cool Jedi. I was in awe in the sequence after Anakin was tested, when Qui Gon asked that whether Anakin would be trained. I mean he was sure of it! Yet, Mace's response was just uber stylish and nonchalant. Loved his response "NO, he will not be trained" ie....

[​IMG]

Amazing!

That said,yet why did it seem so familiar to me? This demeanor. Maybe because of this?.

[​IMG]

GL you sly fox!

MJ

10. Dandelo

Dandelo SW and Film Music Interview Host star 10 VIP - Game Host

Aug 25, 2014
    MJ: you might want to watch the double/triple postings, wouldn't want to see you get in trouble :)

11. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    This suggests that the clone is saying, "Nothing personal, but the Jedi Temple is under lockdown."
    I love how there's an image of an ancient battle in the background. It forshadows the battle that is about to unfold. Perhaps it's a battle from the time of "the oppresion of the Sith" that Windu references?

Tonyg, Senator Wan and Shaak Ti like this.
  12. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012

MarcJordan He is right, but its too late. Please read the thread on double posts pinned at the top of this forum.

13. Cryogenic

Cryogenic Force Ghost star 5

Jul 20, 2005

Good post.

It's interesting to note the little creatures on Anakin's desk. That whole workstation, in fact, appears as something like an in-universe tribute to the visual effects people at ILM. Figurines, tools or utensils, possibly some kind of control or power pack, and a sort of canvas or monitor on a bracket. The Maker, indeed.

Oh, and, less a "LOL" moment, that aside by Jake/Anakin, more of a very telling remark about his inwardly-perceived powerlessness. He tells Threepio that he'll "make sure" Shmi doesn't sell him; but all Anakin can do is advise his mother not to sell Threepio. He's going away and leaving them behind to a fate/fates unknown. (In other words, he is really worried about his mother; but this has so far escaped his rational mind -- bringing a tragic inflection to TPM's running theme of mindfulness).

Yes, the freakishly panoramic, wrap-around effect of the mural (note how the lighting makes it appear curved) could also be a metaphor for the saga itself: stories within stories, films within films. Wonderful sky-blue effect with that saber drawn. Look at the otherwise somewhat-muted colours.

I also love the floors in ROTS. Note all the beiges, bronzes, and olive-greys that appear; and also the beautiful lines and symmetries. I think the fact that Palpatine's antechamber floor gleams adds an extra touch.

This is even more of a subjective rumination, but it's notable -- in my opinion -- how kind of "staged", for want of a better term, that shot is, with the tight (possibly even "uptight") blocking of the actors. I suppose that is the sort of thing that some people despise about the prequels; but I love it, personally.

In fact, now that I think about it some, that shot is ROTS' answer to the "meditation" scene in AOTC, coming at the half-way point, where Anakin is forced to make a crucial decision to "abandon" someone he loves/trusts, for what is a bit of a selfish aim in AOTC (saving his mother) and more of a noble one in ROTS (doing his duty to the Republic/Jedi). In the ROTS frame, Anakin assumes a similar position to Padme in the AOTC scene, while Palpatine stands facing forward as Anakin does during his meditation. A little "dance"/circling manoeuvre follows in the AOTC scene as Anakin and Padme literally draw closer to one another, while it precedes the positions that Anakin and Palpatine assume above; right after Palpatine's main oration about saving Padme. Anyway...

The mural/bas relief was actually added in post-production. There was nothing there originally but bluescreen. In fact, if you look really carefully, you might notice some tiny hints of blue cast in the reflection on the floor.

More on the mural/relief here:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Great_Hyperspace_War_Bas-Relief

Note that the "Emperor" of Tatooine, Jabba the Hutt, has a relief in ROTJ:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Ne_Ganna_Dateel_Jabba

Too cool is this saga, eh? ;)

Tonyg, Senator Wan, Toddy and 3 others like this.
  14. MarcJordan

Nov 17, 2014
    If Obi Wan caught me doing this, he'd be very grumpy.

I thought this was interesting alluding to the Adam and Eve forbidden fruit. especially when Anakin said "if Obi Wan caught me..." Anakin is having too much of a good time here when he's there to protect her, not necessarily joining and enjoying meals as such. And use of force power for fun? A no no in the Jedi book!
    [​IMG]

Im not sure but I think this is last time maybe we see Anakin with someone else for a meal at a dining table till he did this...
    [​IMG]

:-B

MJ

15. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    The dinner on the top doesn't have anything mechanical, is in a classical building, and the participants are having a good time together. The dinner on the bottom is full of mechanical things, is in a building sustained by mechanical tech, and one participant is holding the other three prisoner.

Tonyg, AniLukeRey, Shaak Ti and 3 others like this.
  16. Cryogenic

Cryogenic Force Ghost star 5

Jul 20, 2005

Yes. A very big visual theme I-VI (or at least I-IV or I-V) is of encroaching mechanization.

Also, for what it's worth, Anakin is serenely giving Padme the fruit, while as Vader aggressively taking Han's blaster clean out of his hand. In AOTC, he takes (as in the screenshot) and gives back (a moment later), in TESB, he simply takes.

You'll note, as well, that Han is something like the "charming rogue" some fans expected Anakin to be in the prequels, so it's also like Anakin is emasculating himself as Vader, despite superficial appearances to the contrary.

17. HevyDevy

HevyDevy Force Ghost star 5

Apr 13, 2011
    Good catch, I've posted extensively on this parallel on other threads.

Off the top of my head, some other details that link;

- ROTS: Anakin's fall (protagonist and negative influence in Palpatine) / ROTJ: Vader's redemption (protagonist and positive influence in Luke);

- Palpatine is the last Sith alive (Revenge of the Sith) / Luke is the last Jedi alive (Return of the Jedi). Anakin/Vader are like the fulcrum for each Order's return at the end of each trilogy.
    - Palpatine represents a father for Anakin, Luke is inversely Vader's son.
    - Palpatine (in a deleted scene): "There is great conflict in you, Anakin." / Luke: "I feel the good in you, the conflict."

- Palpatine basically gives himself up to Anakin (pictured above). Anakin turns Palpatine over to Jedi Master Mace Windu / Luke surrenders to Vader. Vader turns Luke over to Sith Master Darth Sidious.
    - Mace (regarding Palpatine's true identity): "Are you sure?" Anakin: "Absolutely." / Palpatine (regarding Luke's arrival on Endor): "Are you sure?" Vader: "I have felt him, my Master.
    - Mace: "I sense a great deal of confusion in you, young Skywalker. There is much fear that clouds your judgement." / Palpatine: "I wonder if your feelings on this matter are clear, Lord Vader?"

- Palpatine to Mace: "No, no... you will die!" / Palpatine to Luke: "Now, young Skywalker, you will die!"
    - Palpatine (as his lightning is deflected back onto him): "Anakin, help me!" / Luke (as Palpatine shoots lightning at him): "Father, please! Help me!"
    - Anakin "saves" Palpatine, betraying Mace and symbolising the end of the Jedi / Vader saves Luke, returning as Anakin and ending the Sith.
    - Finally, there is a kind of karmic balance in the two scenes. Because of Anakin, Mace is killed by the two Sith. / Because of Anakin, the same two Sith are killed in return. Anakin sacrifices his life, and receives a lightning dose much like Mace.

I noticed this too.

Well put, I had (broadly) noticed similar. Vader is quite masochistic in ESB in this way. Firstly, torturing Han; Leia's love interest, paralleling AOTC with Anakin as the romantic lead. Secondly, luring Luke through the pain of loved ones, mirroring a weakness which Vader's past identity had similarly succumbed to over his mother and wife.

Shaak Ti, MarcJordan and Cryogenic like this.
  18. Dandelo

Dandelo SW and Film Music Interview Host star 10 VIP - Game Host

Aug 25, 2014
    [​IMG]

1 dimensional villain with only one emotion of hate? in the words of Master Windu "I don't think so"

19. MarcJordan

Nov 17, 2014
    Since you put it that way can't help but remember enjoying this scene quite a bit:

Padme: Please don't look at me like that.
    Anakin: Why not?
    Padme: Because it makes me feel uncomfortable.
    Anakin: Sorry my lady.
    [​IMG]

For which I then recall the scene in the Falcon :

Princess Leia: Let go, please.
    Han Solo: Don't get excited.
    Princess Leia: Captain, being held by you isn't quite enough to get me excited.
    Han Solo: Sorry sweetheart. I haven't got time for anything else.
    [​IMG]

[face_whistling]

MJ

20. MarcJordan

Nov 17, 2014
    Well I hope the mods won't mind but it's been a few days and Ive tried not to double post. [face_peace]

When Obi Wan was captured in Geonosis, Dooku (a former Jedi Master) came to him to find a way to "release" Obi Wan "a petition to set him free" at Geonosis full of alien insects led by Archduke Poggle , by offering Obi Wan to join him then he could be set free (a ploy in reality) but Dooku is holding the cards. I love the way the magnetic chains hold up Obi Wan where he's basically frozen in position but rotated, yet floating. Luckily Obi Wan can speak up:
    [​IMG]
    Once AGAIN however, somehow I felt there was a parallel in ROTJ, where Luke (a Jedi Master) comes to petition to set free Han Solo, in a palace full of aliens, lead by Jabba by "offering" (of course it was a ploy) two droids in his place but Luke is holding all the cards. Lo and behold Han is frozen and floating by held up by hibernation but can't speak.

[​IMG]

The color coordination amazing similar and blue light in both scenes.

[face_tee_hee]

MJ

AusStig likes this.
  21. Rabs

Rabs Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 15, 2014
    I love many moments and details in the PT. But one of my favorites is the duel between Yoda and Sidious, and the way the old Sith cackles through the entire fight. Evil bastard is having one hell of a good time throwing down with his arch enemy. Love it!

MarcJordan likes this.
  22. MarcJordan

Nov 17, 2014
    At the end of TPM, Anakin asks what will happen to him, now that the one who really took care of him had been killed. I liked the idea that all seemed lost (to Anakin) till Obi Wan gave him reassurance.Obi Wan's seriousness and countenance seems genuine and empathetic.

[​IMG]

Looks to be Deja Vu, when in ANH Luke's guardians are killed and all seems lost. Luke then wants to be learn the ways of the Force and become a Jedi. It is clearly mirrored from the past (TPM) , but juxtaposed to Anakin's son. Obi Wan's countenance is equally empathetic and he nods to train Luke. T he adventures starts again. The Father/Son dynamic is palpable.

[​IMG]

GL just can't help it can he? :D

MJ

23. Tito-Wan Kenobi

Tito-Wan Kenobi Jedi Youngling star 1

May 14, 2015
    People have mentioned quite a few good ones! (Yoda taking care of the guards; QG introducing Obi-Wan and Anakin; Obi-Wan tapping C-3PO on the shoulder)

I will add one more: When the newly-deformed Palpatine, who looks like a bad Vampire character, puts on the hood for the first time (when he says, "Every single Jedi is now....")...He suddenly becomes the Emperor we know!!

24. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    That not every actor has perfect "hollywood teeth"

Seems like most actors/actresses have either natural teeth or teeth you'd get from a few years of braces - not every single one being perfectly straight or paper white. A detail most would pay no mind to or some would even complain about, but I easily notice A-list actors having "perfect" teeth, and how unnatural it is can sometimes take me out of the movie

Tonyg likes this.
  25. Binary Sunset

Binary Sunset Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 31, 2014
    With a bounty hunter and an administrator.

MarcJordan likes this.