main
side
curve
  1. Welcome to the new boards! Details here!

Canada Your favorite movie

Discussion in 'Canada Discussion Boards' started by space_dragon, Oct 13, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. space_dragon

space_dragon Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 25, 2002
    I just watched my favorite movie of all time.

I'm a very big sci-fi fan, but my favorite is not. Oh, the irony.

It's My cousin Vinny with Joe Pesci and Merisa Tomei.

It's a comedy about a lawyer defending his cousin in a murder case. He finished his classes six years ago and never seen a court room since. Everything that can go bad, goes bad.

I love the dialogues in that movie. They are the funniest I've seen.

So what about you? Which movie is your favorite and why?

2. Wolf

Wolf Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 29, 2002
    Well i have a few favorites but i supose i'll just pick one.

Remember The Titans.
    staring Densel Washington

True story about a Virgina highschool football team, having to deal with a black school merging with a white school.

Movie is absoultly amazing in showing the different racial problems that existed and it is very inspiring how it is delt with and how the team comes together.

3. Admiral_Thrawn60

Admiral_Thrawn60 Jedi Youngling star 6

Jul 8, 2000
    Saving Private Ryan

Follows a group of 8 Rangers during and after D-Day as they struggle to find a Private who lost 3 of his brothers, and is going home. Based loosely on a true story.

Unlike other war movies, this movie is as accurate as the director could make it. It is respectful of those who fought in the war. And, unlike some war movies, it doesn't portray the Germans as faceless, baby-eating demons. It has a good story, good characters, and the best action sequences ever seen on film. My favourite genre is war, and so this is the best of the best.

4. space_dragon

Jun 25, 2002
    Saving Private Ryan was great.

I just wouldn't like to be in the landing at the start. That was rough.

5. Admiral_Thrawn60

Jul 8, 2000
    I wouldn't like to be in any of it.

6. Wolf

Wolf Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 29, 2002
    That begining sequence actually was the foundation for the production of Black Hawk Down and We Were Soldiers. If you ask me it started the trend of making war movies more about the killing and gore rather than the characters and effects it had on people.

It was used well in Saving Private Ryan however since it was only used at the begining and set the stage for what followed to be an amazing movie.

7. E_Greyshadow

E_Greyshadow Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 11, 2001
    Das Boot.

Best. Movie. Ever.

EDIT: Must be watched widescreen, in original German with English subtitles. DOWN WITH DUBBING!

8. Woofer

Woofer Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 27, 2001
    Not my favourite... I can't pick just one, but certainly one of my favourites and one I like to recommend to people...

[link=http://us.imdb.com/Title?0088846]Brazil[/link]

It needs to be experienced.

I would recommend any film directed by Terry Gilliam though, I find them all good, and I'm slowly getting them all on DVD.

In the world of surreal vein I'd also recommend [link=http://us.imdb.com/Title?0120601]Being John Malkovich[/link]

For a more serious mood, anything directed Akira Kurosawa is sure to stimulate.

9. Admiral_Thrawn60

Jul 8, 2000
    Das Boot, eh? What's it about? Any chance I can get an original un-subtitled version?

10. Primrodo

Primrodo Jedi Master star 4

Jun 23, 2002
    BRAVEHEART!!!!!!

11. Darth-Schwartz

Darth-Schwartz Jedi Master star 4

Apr 16, 2002
  12. E_Greyshadow

E_Greyshadow Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 11, 2001
    Das Boot: a great story about a WWII U-Boat crew. Their trials and tribulations under the water. The isolation. The terror. The crabs.

It's quite good. Pick it up on DVD. Should be relitively easy to find, actually.

13. Lady_Lucas

Lady_Lucas Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 28, 2002
    How can you pick just one?? ;) .....there are so many movies that are my favorites!! Star Wars(of course), Mouth of madness, WWII video history set(Why We Fight) by Frank Capra, Braveheart, 1941, Shrek, Lord of the Rings and Meet the Parents(or any movie with Robert D.)

14. space_dragon

Jun 25, 2002
    You just take the one you could watch several times in a row and still enjoy it.

15. Darth_Haggis

Darth_Haggis Jedi Master star 4

Mar 21, 2002
    STAR WARS (original trilogy) doesn't matter which one....

16. Izird

Izird Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 29, 2001
    The Matrix, I would have to say, is my favourite movie besides the legendary Star Wars. The Lord of the Rings is my favourite story, but I think the books are MUCH better than the movies (or that is at least my judgment so far).

17. Primrodo

Primrodo Jedi Master star 4

Jun 23, 2002
    the books more??? You have to PLOW through them lol!

18. Izird

Oct 29, 2001
    Huh? I don't see why.

19. Wolf

Wolf Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 29, 2002
    Books are so much better than the movie, The movie cut out a few of the wrong things if you ask me, and they really screwed up the council of Elrond scene.

20. Izird

Oct 29, 2001
    A little, but I was more concerned about how they butchered Galadriel's character. She was kind and beautiful through the whole thing, not freaky. And she didn't do that transfiguration thing in the book!

21. Lelila

Lelila Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 16, 1999
    One of my favourite movies is [link=http://video.go.com/amelie/] Amélie[/link]. It's French with subtitles and I know it's not for everyone, but it's so different than anything I've ever seen before. I find that foreign films are really different than the typical Hollywood.

22. Adam-the-Indifferent

Adam-the-Indifferent Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 30, 2000
    Lawrence of Arabia The scope, beauty, story, there is nothing I don't like about that film. It's better every time I see it. A true epic.

The closing of the York Cinemas (where the Toronto Line for TPM took place) was bittersweet - it was the closing of one of the best theatres in Toronto, but it ended its run with Lawrence in 70mm. Just absolutely amazing to have seen it on the big screen at a Classic theatre.

If you ever get the opportunity to see this movie on the big screen - do not pass it up!

Many more favourites, always growing in numbers.

23. Mahms_katarn

Mahms_katarn Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 31, 2002
    My favourite movie is : American History X. And I'm a sci-fi fan.
    But SW is only a dream.

24. Lady_Lucas

Lady_Lucas Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 28, 2002
    That is a good movie, Americ. history X.

Lelila I think with French films you really have to think more about the plot and they really pull you into all aspects of human relationships. American movies tend to be more entertaining. Movies are our escape and thinking to much during a movie would defeat its purpose for you to relax therefor making American movies faster, more explosions and a bit simpler. So those are some of the differences I think. :)

25. space_dragon

Jun 25, 2002
    I haven't seen it. But I've heard a lot of good about it in Québec.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.