main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Your Favorite TCW Episode - Second Half of Season One

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Garth Maul, Mar 26, 2009.

?

Your Favorite TCW Episode - Second Half of Season One

Poll closed Mar 26, 2009.
  1. 112: THE GUNGAN GENERAL

3.4%
  2. 113: Jedi Crash

9.0%
  3. 114: DEFENDERS OF PEACE

3.4%
  4. 115: Trespass

13.5%
  5. 116: THE HIDDEN ENEMY

10.1%
  6. 117/118: Blue Shadow Virus/Mystery of 1000 Moons

6.7%
  7. 119: STORM OVER RYLOTH

3.4%
  8. 120: Innocents of Ryloth

10.1%
  9. 121: LIBERTY ON RYLOTH

11.2%
  10. 122: Hostage Crisis

29.2%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    Just like we did for the first half of Season 1, we now ask you to vote for your favorite episode of the second half of Season 1 of the TCW.

We only have 10 poll options, so I stuck Blue Shadow Virus and Mystery of a 1000 Moons together, which makes sense because they are a (rough) duology, and they were aired the same night.

Some users were having difficulty choosing the correct poll option before, so I alternated all caps with normal letters, hopefully that helps a little. Remember that the voting button and the name of the episode aren't EXACTLY lined up, so please look closely before you vote.

Overall, I'm surprisingly going to go with Trespass. I like that we saw Anakin and Obi-Wan here as true Jedi peacekeepers. They never ignited their lightsabers throughout the entire episode, and yet they acted like I always wished the Jedi would act like.

2. QueenMother_LK

QueenMother_LK Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 17, 2009
    Hostage is a close 2nd for me, but I went with Innocents of Ryloth. I loved Obi in this episode, esp his 'critter-fu' :p

3. Garth Maul

May 18, 2002
    Innocents was my 2nd favorite, no doubts. Love Obi-Wan.[face_cowboy]

4. draemsu

draemsu Jedi Youngling

Feb 2, 2009
    I went with Liberty On Ryloth.

3 or 4 of the others are just as good, but I'm tired of the usual main characters. Any episode with little or no Anakin/Obi-Wan/Padme is an instant winner.

5. Qui-Gon_Reborn

Qui-Gon_Reborn Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 11, 2008
    It was between Trespass and Blue Shadow Virus. I took Trespass.

6. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Hidden Enemy!

What a weird story. Wished it could have been longer to drag out the clone traitor mystery, but the idea itself was unique enough. And the kick-ass series of battles at the end was just plain awesome.

Oh, and CIS General Sean Connery returned. That's reason enough for me to love it.:p

7. Darthrevan4ever

Darthrevan4ever Jedi Master star 6

May 3, 2008
    hostage crisis

8. Black-Dog

Black-Dog Jedi Knight star 4

May 27, 2008
    It was Innocents of Ryloth for me.

9. Garth Maul

May 18, 2002
    Storm Over Ryloth the only episode to get no love so far!

10. VladTheImpaler

VladTheImpaler Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 13, 2000
    I had to go with Hostage Crisis. There wasn't a single thing I disliked about that episode.

Close runner-ups would be Jedi Crash, Trespass, and 1000 Moons.

...followed by even closer runner-runner-ups Innocents of Ryloth and The Hidden Enemy.

And I still maintain my belief that The Gungan General is a good episode. There are too many inconsistencies with other episodes, but taken on its own it's a lot of fun, with a great ending.

The disappointing episodes for me are Blue Shadow Virus(ok action, but over the top Jar Jar antics and an annoying bad guy), Storm over Ryloth and Liberty on Ryloth(actually, taken individually, both of those Ryloth episodes are ok...but they just don't come together to make an exciting arc like I was hoping for).

11. GuNgAnFaN3090

GuNgAnFaN3090 Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 16, 2008
    Innocents of Ryloth. Not only second half, but possibly favorite out of the whole season.

12. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Hidden Enemy. Ventress took on Kenobi and Skywalker! And didn't get crushed! A win! :D

13. BandofClones

BandofClones Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 3, 2009
    The Hidden Enemy.

Give me clones, all clones, all the time.

14. Ashoka

Ashoka Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 20, 2008
    Was going to vote Gungan General - but once again... I voted the wrong one due to the voting system...

15. Garth Maul

May 18, 2002
    Well, I can only help you so far with the voting system. ;)

Hidden Enemy story was great, animation was bleah.

16. AvadaKenobi

AvadaKenobi Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 2, 2009
    Mine was Innocents of Ryloth. Obi-Wan to the rescue! *fanfare* :D But I think I voted for Liberty on Ryloth instead. Oops. :oops:

Trespass is a very close second. I've got all of this season's episodes saved on my TiVo and Trespass has been the one I've rewatched the most.

17. Ludo_Kressh

Ludo_Kressh Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 30, 2005
    Hostage Crisis hands down...if it had been the first half, Lair of Grievous would have gotten my vote.

18. Humble_Jedi

Humble_Jedi Jedi Master star 4

Oct 14, 2004
    Hostage Crisis.

But the first thing that comes to my mind when I saw this list is:

Holy crap, the first half of the season was SO much better!

I could hardly decide what to vote for... Apart from Hostage Crisis, all my other favourite episodes are from the first half. Remarkable. I kind of like 'Innocents' too though.

19. AhsokaMiro

AhsokaMiro Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 21, 2008
    Wow, I sure didn't think so. The only real clunkers in this bunch were the Virus/Moons semi-duology as far as I'm concerned... well, and "Gungan General", but that one's a straggler as the conclusion to "Dooku Captured".

Maridun and Ryloth were both great environments, I thought, and all the stand-alones had their virtues. I thought the show hit a groove in this stretch.

20. Humble_Jedi

Oct 14, 2004
    I feel precisely the other way round;

112: THE GUNGAN GENERAL - The flawed sequel to a good first episode (from the first half of the season)

113: Jedi Crash - It has an awesome opening, Aayla Secura, but the story is so-so. Interesting idea, but not very compelling storytelling.

114: DEFENDERS OF PEACE - suffers from the same problem but lacks the awesome space battle

115: Trespass - An okay episode. I though the chairman's motives were simplistic and not very convincing.

116: THE HIDDEN ENEMY - This has some awesome moments - opening battle and Ventress, but again there's a problem with realism, the traitor's motives aren't convincing.

117/118: Blue Shadow Virus/Mystery of 1000 Moons (2 votes) -
    Vindi was funny, but at the same time a total cliche. The story just didn't grip me, not even after several viewings. The Iego thing was a cool idea... it was just weird that whole situation with the kid that lived/ruled there. Just weird.

119: STORM OVER RYLOTH - This episode is in Space, so finally we're seeing some cool space action - an okay but not very special episode.

120: Innocents of Ryloth - It was okay. I especially liked the Strategic Droid.

121: LIBERTY ON RYLOTH - Finally: Mace Windu. But once again the episode leaves me with an empty feeling. I just can't help but feel that the Ryloth trilogy didn't live up to the hype. The trailer was awesome, but the episodes just weren't.... working.

122: Hostage Crisis - Bounty Hunter Bad-assness from start to end. Can't say I liked how they handled Anakin & Padme and the whole situation of him being without a lightsaber. It was okay... I'm glad he got taken out. The bad guys badly need some credibility.

The first half of the season had Ambush, The Malevolence trilogy (My favourite story - with 'Rising Malevolence' as my season favourite), Cloak of Darkness, Lair of Grievous, the Droid duology, Rookies AND Dooku Captured, all which are made of pure awesome! In fact all episodes of the first half, with the only exception being Bombad Jedi, in my opinion, are better than any episodes in the second half of the season with the exception of Hostage Crisis.

(Opinions...;) )

21. Hyoma

Hyoma Jedi Youngling

Oct 12, 2008
    Hostage Crisis. Cad Bane lives to the hype and some more, IMHO.

I actually feared that new, "TV original" villains might not work as main antagonists, (perhaps because I feel that WE NEED MORE CIS VICTORIES with some of the main villains from ROTS, i.e. Grievous and Dooku), but Bane and all the other BH brought this new, darker tone to the series that we haven't seen yet and that was just awesome. Honest opinion.

Seeing a Duros kicking that amount of Republic a** was much more fun that I could ever expect, since before HC, I had this idea of Duros being a race of drunk, stupid and weak creatures- think KOTOR games. Cad Bane changed that forever. :)

It's episodes like the last one that have me reeeaaaallllyyy looking forward to all they will show us on season 02 and beyond; remember, first seasons are usually "warm ups", and this season already was much more than just that, imo. In short, I can't wait 'til Fall, just like everyone.

May The Force Be With You, TCW crew, and btw, THANK YOU FOR A GREAT SHOW!

22. VladTheImpaler

VladTheImpaler Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 13, 2000
    Humble Jedi, do you think your expectations had increased at a rate that outpaced the improvement of the show?

I have to admit that I found myself feeling somewhat "meh" when a lot of these episodes premiered, but through repeated viewings I can say that the second half was quite better than the first half.

Episodes like Destroy Malevolence and Bombad Jedi and Downfall of a Droid would be trashed by the fans if they were airing now for the first time. The show has gotten way better than those episodes, IMO. Even episodes like Lair or Grievous and Ambush, while good at the time, have pretty thin plots. I feel like there's a lot more meat to the more recent episodes, even if I didn't walk away with an immediate "best episode ever!" reaction after the first viewing.

23. koonfan

koonfan Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 15, 2008
    I went with Jedi Crash as a conclusion to the Maridun arc. It was definitely the most feel-good triumphant episode to me, with a great ending and battle, though lovers of drama and moral ambiguity would have something to say about that. XD

In terms of storytelling, Innocents of Ryloth is probably the best in the whole season, though. Definitely the best 'subtle' episode to date for me.

The episodes here were, I think, more mature and packed more writing from 'critically acclaimed' materials, so I think that's the difference it has over the first half. First half was more adventures and light stuff, though it also had strong character introductions.

Either way, I thought this show is off to a great start. Looking forward to season 2. :D

24. Humble_Jedi

Oct 14, 2004
    Nah, not really... I simply found myself really excited at the beginning, and not so much later on in the season. Perhaps it's simply an 'overdose' of Star Wars or something... a new episode every week is great, but it's a lot more than I'm used to... Perhaps I'd have liked the second half better if the order had been reversed... who knows. I just can't help feeling that the first few episodes were more 'gripping' for some reason.

I really can't agree with that. In my opinion, a thin plot is sometimes better than a more elaborate plot, especially when we're talking about 22 minute episodes. I think generally, the episodes where they're going for some more depth, like Hidden Enemy for example, suffer from script problems. Sure, Ambush has a thin plot, but there's no problem at all with that. The strength of the episode doesn't lie with the plot, it lies in the relationship between the Clones and the Jedi. The wisdom of Yoda, even in warfare, the clones, trying to figure out their General. The way Yoda boosts their morale, and how he trusts in them to save him in time. That's what makes it so great.

So, I think it's other things than elaborate plots that make for good episodes. For example, what I thought was great about Rising Malevolence was the whole feel of it. The Republic is hit hard! Suddenly they're surprised by a superweapon... they lose several cruisers. The situation is desperate... a few survive in escape pods, but even these are hunted down. The whole suspense in that scene leading up to the podbuster.. the discovery of the dead clones... the beautiful backdrop of a big red planet makes for a great atmosphere. And then the end is even better... when the Malevolence comes back and they have to shut all the power down in order to drift by undetected... reminded me of great U-Boat films like Das Boot.

As far as Bombad Jedi goes... I never liked it to begin with. And I'm not even a Jar Jar hater.

25. swcolts157

swcolts157 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 15, 2008
    Voted for Liberty on Ryloth. It was such a great episode and I really enjoyed Mace in it. It was so action-packed with good pacing and it just felt like Star Wars. But thanks to Dave, George, Henry and every one else for making such a great first season of the Clone Wars, lets hope season 2 is even better and I know it will be!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.