main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Your favourite instrument of the Symphony Orchestra

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by __Vader__, Oct 15, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. __Vader__

__Vader__ Jedi Master star 3

May 23, 2005
    READ THE POST PEOPLE!! I said that your choices may include but are certainly not limited to...

That list was just to jog the memories of people who couldn't remember off hand the instruments of the orchestra. There are plently of instruments not listed there. If I gave you a list to choose from, it would only spark debate of which instruments belong and which do not belong in the orchestra which is not the purpose of the thread.

2. han_solo_321

han_solo_321 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 14, 2002
    French Horn all the way! I play it in schooL!

3. _Mark_Skywalker_

_Mark_Skywalker_ Jedi Youngling

Nov 3, 2006
    I would have to say the clarinet and the violin are my favourite mainly because I like the quality of the sound that good players can produce on them.

4. emupiett

emupiett Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 1, 2000
    Since I play the trombone, I would have to say that it kicks the crap out of any other musical instrument. =>

As a composer, however, I have an appreciation for all the instruments, but some of my favorites are the piccolo and the clarinet.

5. Commander_Kayman

Commander_Kayman Jedi Youngling star 2

May 2, 2006
    all the percussion!!!

6. Daniera_Kenobi

Daniera_Kenobi Jedi Youngling

Nov 13, 2005
    That's a really hard question to answer for me. Out of the woodwinds, I'd have to say bassoon because the timbre of the instrument is just so interesting. Being a brass player myself, I couldn't decide. I love all of the brass instruments for different reasons. In percussion, I'd have to say timpani. If I were a percussionist, timpani would be the one that I would most want to play. Out of the strings, I would have to say either viola or cello, with piano being the runner up. Overall, though, I have affection for all of the instruments. I could never pick just one favorite.

7. Jedi-Washington

Jedi-Washington Jedi Master star 4

Aug 3, 2003
    Yes, it is quite a shame that woodwinds have gone out of style. I honestly love them more than anything else in the orchestra mainly for their versatility. Stings can't play loud enough to have massive power behind them like horns (unless you have a lot of them, which is difficult to get together at my age composing wise), the brass can't play quiet very well without a loss of tone. You kinda have to compose around their dynamic limits. Woodwinds on the other hand can get quiet enough to be whisper, and anyone that's heard one of John Williams Piccolo Glissando's can attest to the ability for winds to soar above brass and strings.

Honestly, every instrument has it's wonderful uses. Who ever said a strings section also has it correct. An orchestra is a wonderful arrangement of instruments that wouldn't be the same if even one voice was missing.

~JW

8. vegaserik

vegaserik Jedi Youngling

Apr 17, 2006
    Oh heck yeah .... The bone rules supreme! Especially since I also play it. hehe

John Williams has some very nice low-brass parts in his scores. I wish I had gotten to play something interesting for most of my jr. high/high school career =)

9. FurryDuck

FurryDuck Jedi Master star 4

Apr 2, 2001
    Cello, but I play it so maybe I'm a bit biased. I also love the viola, and when there's a good violinist to go along with the violin, I like that too. Trombones and French Horns are also some of my favorites.

10. Darth_Xizor

Darth_Xizor Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 1, 2003
    This thread fails at mentioning all mallet percussion. [face_frustrated]

but i like Trombone best.... I'm biased because I play it though..

I also like French Horn and just about any kind of mallet percussion, especially those big tubular bells. (Sound like church bells)

11. __Vader__

__Vader__ Jedi Master star 3

May 23, 2005
    I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned percussion too. It seems that most people prefer the winds, and though I don't blame them, (they rock!) The percussion needs some love!

12. DavidScJr

DavidScJr Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 27, 2007
    I'm a percussionist so I have to say... the woodwinds... :) But only because we are usually oriented behind violins or low brass... and we always get those evil stares after loud passages. I played with the NJSO for two seasons and after every loud passage, the Tuba and Bones would turn and stare us down like we were city-folk in the deep south!

So, aside from percussion, the woodwinds are my favorite.

13. Laine_Snowtrekker

Laine_Snowtrekker Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 8, 2003
    Bass clarinet, closely followed by the clarinet.

Um, I'm biased, but yeah, I love the first, and like the second. Play the first regularly, second rarely--right now, this weekend, a whole lot!

14. Robi-Wan

Robi-Wan Jedi Master star 4

Oct 11, 2006
    Strings. Love the strings in the Spider-Man theme by Danny Elfman.

15. Forever_Padawan

Forever_Padawan Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 16, 2007
    Xylophones are brilliant... I wish I had a really BIG xylophone! Their sound is so clear, I don't know why the aren't used more than they already are. But what category of instrument are they?

16. andy1044

andy1044 Jedi Master star 2

Aug 26, 2006
    Pitched percussion

17. BobaFrank

BobaFrank Jedi Youngling star 5

Jul 17, 2001
    My favorite is the OBOE, TRUMPET, TROMBONE, TIMPANI, AND VIOLIN. Sorry, can't pick just one.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.