main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Your highlight of celebration V

Discussion in 'Star Wars Celebrations' started by Matt_Jedi, Aug 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lovelucas

lovelucas Jedi Master star 4

Mar 19, 2004
    Impossible it is to select just one.
    The George/Jon Duet
    Why I Love The Prequels - awesome panel - very free-style, that's how it rolled.
    THE FILMS - one gripe: RotS and ANH were shown in the afternoon instead of 7, which meant I had to skip out of ANH to catch the Prequel panel. Films to need to be on at the same time each day.
    Mark and Carrie - just because they mean so much to everyone and why we're here. To see them both on the stage with George - and hugging him. wow. And Mark is such a love to the fans. Carrie was to me, too.

Another reason why this was my favorite celebration - Lucasfilm people seemed to really, REALLY appreciate us attending. Mary Franklin ...thanked me for being there. I was speechless.

2. Handmaiden Yané

Handmaiden Yané Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 15, 2002
    My top highlights:

-celebrating my birthday by waiting overnight for George Lucas...then seeing Hamill & Fisher join him on stage
    -always the Exhibition Hall
    -hanging out with JCers :)

3. XJapanRoX

XJapanRoX Official Star Wars Artist star 2 VIP

Dec 5, 2004
    I'm with lovelucas on this one -- impossible to pick one!

It's funny because, even though I'm just as big a fan as the next guy, I'd been preparing for Celebration V with it as a business trip in my head. A chance to market myself as an illustrator and possibly get my foot in the door. So here are my moments as an artist first:

- Seeing the TFN table banner in its monster-sized glory!!
    - Portfolio review with Troy Alders at Lucasfilm went super well.
    - Meeting the TFN folks at the SWEET party! Which led to also meeting Dave Filoni!
    - Chatting up the artist alley elites, who all gave great advice.
    - Of course, the autograph signing the TFN crew was kind enough to invite me for!! It was my first one and made me feel like a big deal!

Now as a fan:
    - Why we love the prequels panel. GREAT free-styling format, and by the end of it, I loathed Jar Jar significantly less than before.
    - Getting pictures with people dressed as Kyle Katarn and Dash Rendar. My two favorite EU Characters! Plus all the photo ops in general.
    - The first moment of walking into the exhibit hall. I felt 8 years old again. I had chills!
    - Meeting Amy Allen and getting her autograph! YOWZA! <3

4. Dingo

Dingo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 23, 2001
    *A* highlight, but not the highlight: watching Seth Green try and photo-bomb a pic of Jenn's, and failing because he was actually hidden by her (which for those who have met Jenn realise is a hard thing to do).

5. Kiki-Gonn

Kiki-Gonn Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 26, 2001
    Whatever that event was, I'm really glad I missed it.

6. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    Another highlight: the mass "awwwww"s of people seeing Seth Green couldn't get his face in the picture. :p

7. echo-3

echo-3 Former RSA star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 11, 2002
    LOL
    I ment the all of the sights and sounds of Downtown Orlando.

8. hothie

hothie Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 12, 2004
    Thank you dp. At least I know I can count on SOMEONE to remember our anniversary...:p

9. Lowbacca_1977

Lowbacca_1977 Chosen One star 7

Jun 28, 2006
    There were a lot of great moments, from meeting people I've never met, to just priceless moments (like I'm still riding high from recognising , but not by name, Jaxxon) like arguing about the political implications of Oregon Trail in line for Lucas, but of all the fun I had, and all the great times I had with people, one thing stands above all the rest.

This bit:
    "Fans over 40 like the original trilogy and hate the prequels and fans under 40 like the prequels and hate the original trilogy" - George Lucas [paraphrase]
    "No we don't!" - Me

10. Master_Jaina1011

Master_Jaina1011 Jedi Master star 4

May 20, 2002
    I cannot say exactly what my highlights were...

1. Walking into the exhibition hall and being in heaven.
    2. hanging out with my best friend for three days straight. Cannot beat that!!!
    3. Meeting Troy Denning, Dave Filonli and Jason Fry at TFN party, and talking to them til the party ended. At least Troy Denning
    4. Meeting various JCers that I finally got to a put a face to the name, specifically dp4m, mavjade.
    5. Being so close to the OCCC and being able to do what I wanted because I live in Orlando. And I had the absolute best luck with the shuttles, never had to wait ever.
    6. Being able to talk the EU with fellow fans!
    7. Aaron Allston and face palm. EPIC!!!
    8. The writing panels. A writers dream come true.
    9. Clone wars season 3. Gotta go catch up now!

and lastly, coming from the hospitality industry in Orlando, I have never been to an event where everyone has an enormous respect for each other. I never once got aggravated at people, like I do in theme parks. Everyone was so nice, and respectful and I think that stood out for me.

I had an amazing weekend, and despite being tired it was well worth it.

11. KissinDigital

KissinDigital Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 25, 2010
    You... you got the laugh? you have no idea how envious I am. *sniffles* I was too shy to ask him to do it.

12. KissinDigital

Jul 25, 2010
    I could say the whole weekend, but that's total cop out. :B

Meeting Mark I think. Just plain blown away by his genuine interest in helping fans seriously enjoy themselves. I didn't get a laugh but he did do Joker voice for me (I teared up, I fully admit. I grew up with that voice and I am a B:tAS fan first before nearly any other fandom.)

Also, this was a cool little thing: my bro-in-law was gonna get Clone Wars autographs on Sunday. He asked me to bring his season 1 dvds, which I promptly forgot in the hotel room. (oops.) Well, he and my sis had participated in the Droid Hunt (one of the greatest con ideas EVER, plz plz plz do it for MegaCon or sommat) and they both won raffles. So they ended up with 4 action figures, two of which were perfect for the autographs he wanted to get.

oooh ooh and having James Arnold Taylor toss a little Doc Brown voice at me was epic.

Sooooo many amazing moments. *cloud nine*

13. JediMara77

JediMara77 Force Ghost star 4

Mar 5, 2004
    Ooh, where in Orlando do you live? I'm south of Disney.

All the Orlando people should get together an have our own mini-con. :)

14. Snootles11

Snootles11 Jedi Youngling

Aug 19, 2010
    One? Just one?
    Probably the moment I heard over the loudspeakers on the last day: "There will be a re-broadcast of the Main Event hosted by Carrie Fisher at 12:00!"
    After torturous mulling, we had decided not to line up at 3am for bracelets of the live event because, if we did, the kids would have been impossible from exhaustion by noon and the rest of the day would have been shot. Had regretted the decision and then we got to see it anyway that last day, even if it wasn't live. However, Carrie Fisher was a total treat. She was funny and it was great to see her. (However, what the heck was she wearing then and during the Main Event?)

Also...seeing my kids talk to Dave Feloni, get his photo and autograph at various times during the convention and the Force.net party was priceless. He is such a great guy...especially with kids!

-Kim

15. j-jawa3

j-jawa3 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 4, 2004
    The highlight of my convention was entering the Exhibition Room (after waiting in line), and seeing the life sized TIE Bomber from the Belgian Garrison. Never in all of the Celebrations has anyone built a life sized Imperial vessel. It was BEAUTIFUL, and I took MANY pictures!

I was also impressed by the builders of the vessel--a father and daughter team! If it wasn't for the 501st group as a whole, I don't think there would have been any large exhibits.

16. Master_Jaina1011

Master_Jaina1011 Jedi Master star 4

May 20, 2002
    I will be living right by the Premium Outlets off of I drive.

And i agree. it would be nice to be around other SW fans!

17. KissinDigital

Jul 25, 2010
    We do, it's called Mega. :cool:

No srsly, we should get together, though I spose that's what the GFA is for... .I forgot to join it. [face_blush]

18. s65horsey

s65horsey Otter-loving Former EUC Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 24, 2006
    - Getting hugs from all the people that I spend so much time talking to online.
    - Hanging out with Jan Duursema and JJM at the tfn party.
    - watching the RMFF step up and help out wherever needed.
    - Jan wearing a tank top that I made with Cade on it.
    - The entirety of the Last Tour to Endor (including beating the people I was with on the Toy Story ride :p )
    - Getting a hug from Troy Denning [face_blush]
    - Hearing the news that Aaron Allston is going to write a new Wraith book

19. MrZAP

MrZAP Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 2, 2007
    My top five CV experiences, in descending order.

5. So I didn't meet Mark, but I did randomly run into Nathan Hamill at Tom Hodges's booth on Sunday. I talked to him about his dad's voice-acting and got a picture with him.:p
    4. Aaron Allston book signing for Wraith Squadron!
    3. Showing up at the JC party 15 minutes before it ended and still meeting lots of JCCers I had known for years.:cool:
    2. The 2-4 hours I spent in the Artist's Alley each day, not to mention the $400 worth of art and other things I purchased from the artists', including about $160 of commissions, not counting another two $40 commissions I'm having done after the con.8-}
    1. Meeting my online JC nemesis in person and discovering we're actually capable of getting along in real life. You know who you are.:D

Oddly enough, I didn't attend a single panel at CV, although I was planning on seeing at least the three-part writer's seminars. Didn't happen, but it was still awesome all around.

20. Skywalker2B

Skywalker2B Jedi Grand Master star 3

Dec 8, 2000
    Meeting Aaron Allston, Troy Denning, and Shelly Shapiro.
    Talking to Aaron for about 15 minutes.
    Getting the red wristband to see Mark Hamill.
    My son telling Dave Filoni "Don't hide what's inside.", then seeing Seth Green give him a high five, then meeting Seth Green coming out of the CV store, then meeting Dave Filoni the next day.
    Dave Filoni wanting a picture of himself with my son.
    Seeing my daughter meet Ashley Eckstein.

It was my/our first convention and we absolutely loved it all! What a wonderful time...worth every penny!

21. JediMara77

JediMara77 Force Ghost star 4

Mar 5, 2004
    Jaina: I used to live right near there!

KissinDigital: Heh, that is true. I haven't been to MegaCon in awhile; it's always way too crowded for my tastes. Maybe next year I'll make plans to attend.

I didn't join the GFA either...silly me. :(

22. JediJustin

JediJustin Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 17, 2006
    Aside from all the obvious highlights, three of my most memorable moments were getting to don the blue Norway crew jacket that Robert Watts brought with him. My hands were shaking as I put it on and took a pic with him, as that is my favorite vintage piece of SW history.

I loved getting the chance to meet/speak with all of the SW creators - Kurtz, Watts, Peterson, Berg, and Burtt. It was like being in the company of royalty.

And seeing my wife come to tears as we met Tom Kane and hearing him speak to her as Yoda. My wife loves Yoda and Tom said a few sentences to her as her favorite Jedi. It was flat-out awesome to see.

23. KissinDigital

Jul 25, 2010
    Yeah it's never been as awesome, but I enjoyed myself last year - though most likely because of the amount of Green Lantern love I saw. :3

24. tribbleorlfl

tribbleorlfl Jedi Knight

Aug 22, 2010
    Seeing my son light up and geek out. This was the first time I took him to a Con, so it was quite the experience for him. Everyone was so kind and polite to him, especially all of the costumed fans and volunteers who got down one knee for pictures with him. Hearing him say, "Look daddy, theres x!" the whole time was priceless. He got to meet Jon McBride, the astronaut, and got on TV building a Lego starship (Still looking for a video if anyone sees one of an adorable 5 year old wiping his hands clean after finnishing their lego masterpiece).

Close second is getting the Hallmark ornament set. We went on Thursday, only, and were initially extremely bummed when we found out the shipment was late and wouldn't be sold till Friday. The ladies at the booth kept saying not to worry, but they'd be sold all weekend. I spoke up and said "those of us only here today are out of luck, then?" One of them looked at my badge, confirmed I was Thurs only and said "I tell you what, come back around 3 or 4; we should have the shipment in by then and I'll sell you one. It wouldn't be faair since you're only here one day."

We came back about 3:30, right as we were about to leave (had my son's Kindergarten orientation at 5) and low and behold, she remembered me. She unlocked the cabinet under the table and pulled one out for me. I was a little underwhelmed at first; the ornaments are small and only so-so quality-wise for $20. However, this was the one exclusive we absolutely wanted, being Hallmark collectors, so we were quite happy to be able to procure one.

Turns out we ended up w/ something more special than we realized. I remember reading in the on-line guide they would be numbered to 500. Well, after we bought ours, I noticed it was "1 of 500"." I thought it meant it was "one of an edition of 500." That was until they started popping up on Ebay. What we have is literally serial number 1!!!!!!

25. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    If those of you in Orlando would like to meet up you can always use the Orlando forum, there isn't much else going on there. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.