main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Your overconfidence is your weakness

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by muymaul, May 5, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. muymaul

muymaul Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 24, 1999
    I always liked this line by Luke in ROTJ. I thought it perfectly described the Emperor at that moment thinking he was perfectly safe on the Death Star #2.

I was thinking about the PT and there seems to be another moment when Darth Sideous shows his "weakness." This is when Padme/Amidala goes back to Naboo to take the fight to the Trade Federation. Sideous says, "This is an unexpected move for her. It's too aggresive.. Lord Maul, be mindful." It was clear that he didn't forsee her doing what she was doing.

This seems to be a good setup for the rest of the movies. It shows his weakness, but also allows a build-up to what happens in ROTJ. From this point on, everything falls into place the way the Emperor expected it to be and leaves him open for the unexpected triumph of the Rebels and Vader's/Anakin's turnaround.

2. BucketHead8723

BucketHead8723 Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 12, 2003
    I always liked that line also; and i like when Sideous replies with "your faith in your friends is yours". It makes him sound so powerful to respond like that. Maybe he really did forsee the actions of Padme, but just didn't let anyoen know. Kind of like Dooku in Episode II with the Clones.

3. starwars6554

starwars6554 Jedi Master star 6

Jul 9, 2002
    I agree completely. The emperor's witness is that he doesn't even think about his plans not working the way he forsees them. Obviously he didn't go to Yoda's Jedi Academy 101.

"Always in motion the future is." - Yoda.

Palpatine thinks that the vision he forsees is set in stone, and can not be changed. He was proven wrong a couple of times.

4. Aunecah_Skywalker

Aunecah_Skywalker Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 25, 2002
    Yes, that's what I thought when listening to Sidious as well. On the other hand, I've been termed crazy and insane by more than one person so I thought maybe I was the only person who thought that. 8-}

Aunecah

5. BucketHead8723

BucketHead8723 Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 12, 2003
    You are not alone.

haha

6. starwars6554

starwars6554 Jedi Master star 6

Jul 9, 2002
    There are more among us. I can sense it. ;)

By the way, good post Zack! :D

7. MeBeJedi

MeBeJedi Force Ghost star 6

May 30, 2002
    "Palpatine thinks that the vision he forsees is set in stone, and can not be changed. He was proven wrong a couple of times."

Exactly. In addition to Force far-seeing, Palpatine was great at taking advantage of any situation that didn't come out as planned.

All this "everything's going according to my design" talk is just to blow smoke up his apprentice's @$$. Raise your hand if you believe Palpatine would actually admit "Whoops, I musta missed that one" to his various underlings! :p

8. Aunecah_Skywalker

Mar 25, 2002
    MeBeJedi - Are you kidding? The mark of a power-hungry half-insane Dark Lord isto NEVER admit fault even when it's obvious that he is at fault. 8-}

You would think the Sith would learn something from past, which basically is the same situation seen through twenty thousand different mirrors.

Overconfidence is bad.

Aunecah

9. DamonD

DamonD Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 22, 2002
    Let's ask Darth Maul if he agrees with Luke's line.

Mr. Maul? Hello?

Oh, right, he's dead. Due to overconfidence. Guess that counts as a 'yes', then.

10. Aiwendil

Aiwendil Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 1, 2002
    I always thought that the Luke - Emperor exchange was meant to be ironic. Luke claims that the Emperor's overconfidence is his weakness. But overconfidence is more Luke's weakness - he is certain of his ability to turn Vader, and almost fails as a result. Palpatine claims that Luke's weakness is his faith in his friends. But it turns out to be Palpatine's faith in his "friend" - Vader - that is his undoing.

11. Trojan_Sock

Trojan_Sock Jedi Youngling star 4

Feb 27, 2003
    Great points. However, I would argue that it was Luke's "misguided" attempt to redeem his father, in spite of every obstacle (Yoda/Ben/Leia/Emperor/Anakin all said "No way, Jose") that finally got through to Vader.

BTW, I love the "Palpatine depending on his 'friend'" aspect. However, this fell through for Palpatine because Vader finally realized that he was never truly friends with Palpatine (They didn't cut their hands and shake on it :D )

12. ForceHeretic

ForceHeretic Jedi Youngling star 4

Dec 8, 2002
    Also everyone remember this, Palpatine may have been overconfident but did he really have a reason not to be?

He single handedly brought down a government that had been in place for a thousand years with his elaborate plans never failing. He had some setbacks but obviously nothing to major

And he had ruled with an Iron Fist for so long, everything he saw in the future was what happened, he had practically never been wrong

Although it still was a weakness, you can understand why he would feel overconfident if he didn't have any reason to feel otherwise, he'd never failed in what he set out to do. To him the Rebellion was just another obstacle to overcome, which he was confident he could do with enough work, what hope did a small band of rebels have against the likes of a man who had destroyed the longest standing government in history

13. Trojan_Sock

Trojan_Sock Jedi Youngling star 4

Feb 27, 2003
    [Alien] You admire [him], don't you? [/Alien] ;)

14. ForceHeretic

ForceHeretic Jedi Youngling star 4

Dec 8, 2002
    Admire his work ethic maybe and his cunning

Not the whole genocide or suddition of the people thing though, that just sucks

15. DamonD

DamonD Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 22, 2002
    I admire his purity, his sense of survival; unclouded by conscience, remorse, or delusions of morality.

(also taken and altered from Alien) ;)

16. Aunecah_Skywalker

Mar 25, 2002
    Well, you can't exactly that say that Palpatine is an idiot. He definitely is a cool villain, and trust me, I read a LOT of books but have never said that to anybody else - other than Darth Vader. [face_love]

But he's overconfident - and that's still a weakness.

Obi-Wan's reckless - he's young and skillful: of course he's going to be reckless - but it's still a weakness.

:)

Aunecah

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.