main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate Misogyny, Entitlement, and Pop Culture

Discussion in 'Community' started by Heero_Yuy, May 29, 2014.

1. Heero_Yuy

Heero_Yuy Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 28, 2000
    I specifically elected NOT to post this in the gun control threat so we could have an actual discussion on the topic instead of people using this tragedy as an excuse to further a pet agenda.

Sorry, but this is NOT a gun control issue objectively speaking. This isn't even specifically a mental illness issue either.

TOSCHESTATION and FRAGWAGON like this.
  2. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    I'm too old to remember what dating was like, but in particular I don't remember women being manipulative about the process. If I asked someone out on a date and she said no, I took it to mean that she wasn't interested. I found that women were more likely to say yes reluctantly purely because they felt pity for me and hated to be rude. A pity date was like a real date, but typically with less sex. Unless she really, really felt sorry for me. Pity sex is exactly like sex.

3. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002

not gonna lie, it really is

Boba Nekhbet likes this.
  4. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002

why do all the best posters have "jabba" in their username? that's it... mods, change my name to "Jabba Ten"

5. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

You want to bring the batting average down?

6. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    How is this not a mental illness issue? This guy filmed himself talking like a mustache twirling villain, then shot people, then shot himself. I'm no doctor, but I'm pretty sure that was a mentally ill individual.

7. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    No gun control talk here, please, as the OP requested.

It's a fantastic article and it completely touches the dark side of "nerd culture". We've all been fed those stereotypes.

8. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

[​IMG]

You never studied...

For real? Of course the dude was almost certainly mentally ill, but on the other hand his manifestos and YouTube videos (and the not mentally ill people online nodding their heads and agreeing) were some of the base misogyny overrunning society today.

Adam of Nuchtern, Juliet316 and tom like this.
  9. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    NO GUN CONTROL TALK. YOU HAVE A WHOLE THREAD FOR THAT.

10. JoinTheSchwarz

Nov 21, 2002
    I clearly remember when I realized that Steve Urkel was a massive ***hole and should be put in a watch list. :p It's scary to think of the people that have never realized it.

11. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002

[​IMG]

owned... so owned...

Souderwan and Point Given like this.
  12. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

To be fair, the entirety of the Steve Urkel thing was a hugely problematic thing over the course of the entire show's lifetime. Why?

[​IMG]

Stefan Urquelle.

It's Steve Urkel -- the same guy -- just more suave and confident. AND LAURA FALLS IN LOVE WITH HIM AND TRIES TO PREVENT HIM TURNING BACK TO STEVE MULTIPLE TIMES. But then -- right at the end -- realized the "error of her ways" and chooses to marry the geeky Steve just the way he is.

... and so we end up with people believing that's okay and articles like this.

13. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    i think it's a lazy and dangerous cop out to say "oh he's just crazy" as if mental illness exists in a vacuum and societal factors and pressures can't and don't contribute to it. the fact is that there are underlying conditions and attitudes in our culture that help to create people like this. we should be doing what we can to figure that out and change it for the better. that's what this thread is about.

14. Moviefan2k4

Moviefan2k4 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 29, 2009
    Actually, the reason she chose Steve was precisely because he was real. Stefan was the result of Steve taking everything out of himself that he believed Laura found offensive. For a short time, the illusion worked, but when a lab accident separated the two permanently, Steve had to literally fight against a copy of himself. When Laura ultimately chose Steve over Stefan, the moral being driven home was that people desire relationships with whole, honest individuals, not copies or illusions made through deception or self-hatred.

(Yes, I watched the show as a kid, along with most of the TGIF lineup).

15. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    There is a disconnect here, but I just got edited and am not sure how to respond even though Elliot Rodgers is used as the example of the article of the OP.

Otherwise, this past year there was a story about a girl who went to a convention and......for the damned life of me I do not recall her complaint. The topic was sexism, I want to say she was hit on too much? Or she might have won a contest of some sort and guys did nto like it? Forgive me of what her complaint was but the point really is the response she got. Guy after guy responded with every possible put down a guy could do against a female and then some. Girls don't belong, get raped, die *****, you name it.

I am not sure this means nerd culture = rape culture. How about troll culture that leaves nothing taboo? This is going in like 10 different directions from Rodgers to a comedy flick so I am not sure how to partitian all these examples.

16. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    I think Arthur Chu's (I keep thinking he's the brother of a guy I knew in HS) column is good and mirrors what other people have said before. The need to focus on the loony guy from Santa Barbara is dumb. Mainstream misogynists aren't out there shooting people, and linking them to some crazy mass murderer inevitably makes them look tame. Mental illness doesn't exist in a vacuum... and? Charles Manson's interpretation of a Beatles song should've been a rallying cry to address racism in society?

17. Wanderguard

Wanderguard Jedi Knight star 1

May 15, 2014
    I would agree. A large part of mental illness seems in a lot of cases to be a sensitivity to triggers. Taking that into account I can see how culturally ingrained misogyny could be a trigger along with other things. Nothing is ever only one thing, I guess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Juliet316 likes this.
  18. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005

Interesting that this thread has you so defensive and agitated.

Boba Nekhbet, Souderwan and Ender Sai like this.
  19. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    Actually it doesn't.

20. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    okay.

21. JoinTheSchwarz

Nov 21, 2002
    Yeah, I don't think he's agitated. Let's not go with the easy target, come on.

Ender Sai, Zapdos and Rogue_Ten like this.
  22. Zapdos

Zapdos Force Ghost star 5

Jan 7, 2013
    oh gawd is this gonna be another moviefan thread

23. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    ...with the added bonus of bad stereotypes about women.

24. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    We like to be chased, apparently. Tracy, have you ever woke up in the morning and thought to yourself, "It's a lovely day... I think I'll go out and make some creep chase me"?

25. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    i'm not sure what you're getting at here. mainstream misogyny should get a pass here? that it should be dealt with entirely as a separate problem? that linking it to a mass murderer somehow makes it seem more okay? i think i'm probably misreading, just looking for a little clarification.

Adam of Nuchtern and Ender Sai like this.