main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate Misogyny, Entitlement, and Pop Culture

Discussion in 'Community' started by Heero_Yuy, May 29, 2014.

1. Bacon164

Bacon164 Chosen One star 8

Mar 22, 2005
    incel... what..

2. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    I just wonder why it never seems to occur to any of them that their deep and abiding anger (which is often more accurately labeled as rage, I think) could perhaps have something to do with their inability to find a romantic partner. Who wants to be around someone who is that angry? It's not as if having sex once or even being in a relationship is going to automatically eliminate that anger.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2018
  3. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    I can't stop thinking about insulin.

4. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    Literally FRIENDZONED
    Wait till you learn about femcels, gaycels, transcels, currycels, and braincels

Last edited: Apr 26, 2018
    Ender Sai likes this.
  5. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    This is so complicated to take in :(

6. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    take it to the claus von bulow appreciation thread

7. Zapdos

Zapdos Force Ghost star 5

Jan 7, 2013
    yeah, this is kinda my stance as well.

and i've worked with a lot of mentally ill young men. can't remember a single one being this hateful.. i guess i'm biased though, because i care a lot about mental health and the way mental illness is viewed in society and the stigma around it and all that. so i can't help being more concerned about how society views mental illness, than how society views these hateful incels. and i kind of have a problem with it when all behaviour like that is being blamed on mental illness. some people have ****** personalities. of course, i dunno, maybe i'm being unfair, because i'm sure for some it might be mental illness as well.. i just hate how stories like this end up portraying mental health in the media and add to the stigma of it.

Lordban, Rew, Darth Guy and 7 others like this.
  8. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Exactly. I have anxiety and some depression, and while medication does help me, it's not like it gets rid of it. And it certainly makes romantic relationships harder. It would be unacceptable, however, for me to blame outward forces for that fact, or to be violent and hateful about it. I don't forgive people that unless they have a disorder that genuinely warps reality for them to a degree where they don't know what they're doing (e.g. some schizophrenics, though they are rarely violent).

But I hate how we ONLY seem to talk about mental health issues when it comes to the small segment of mentally ill people who are dangerous. Because apparently mental illness only matters when it's part of some terrible person's plethora of issues...?

9. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    People only seem to care when their safety is threatened by someone who is mentally ill otherwise the general public is content to let others suffer.

10. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    I'm not suffering from depression and am ridiculously privileged. :(

11. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    And this is coming from a guy who has this person's quote as his sig

[​IMG]

12. Bacon164

Bacon164 Chosen One star 8

Mar 22, 2005
    who's gonna win drag race season 10?

13. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Is Cher in a windtunnel?

14. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    When misogynists become terrorists

This part reminds me of the recent discussion in the Gun Control thread:

“Part of the problem is that American culture still sees men’s sexism as something innate rather than deviant. And in a world where sexism is deemed natural, the misogynistic tendencies of mass shooters become afterthoughts rather than predictable and stark warnings.

The truth is that in addition to not protecting women, we are failing boys; failing to raise them to believe they can be men without inflicting pain on others, failing to teach them that they are not entitled to women’s sexual attention and failing to allow them an outlet for understandable fears and foibles that will not label them ‘weak’ or unworthy.”

15. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    I concur with Solojones and Anakinfan. I would hate to meet deviants who would want to run me over. Else, I would have been run over long ago.

Juliet316 likes this.
  16. Talos of Atmora

Talos of Atmora Force Ghost star 5

Jul 3, 2016
    I forgot how morbidly hilarious it was to read this guy's statements. The comedic element really shouldn't be there but the ridiculously melodramatic nature of these proclamations are what make me start cracking up. That second sentence may as well have been something a DM ad libs in a campaign for a necromancer whilst mildly drunk. Like, why would you ever waste this much energy and time being mad over someone not wanting to have sex with you?

Last edited: May 22, 2018
  17. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    watto has the sickest burns

Diggy , Ender Sai and SuperWatto like this.
  18. Fire_Ice_Death

Fire_Ice_Death Force Ghost star 7

Feb 15, 2001
    This INCEL movement has been around for years. It's just now gaining attention, but it's been lurking in the background online for much longer than our media is giving it credit for. It's why I love and hate the internet. I love it for the access to information and building friendships with people I'd likely never meet, but I hate how it can be used to create echo chambers.

Juliet316 likes this.
  19. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    lol

The Jedi Council Forums is the absolute echo chamber of echo chambers when it comes to politics.

Lordban, V-2, Ghost and 2 others like this.
  20. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    No one can disagree with this.

gezvader28 and Darth Punk like this.
  21. Ava G.

Ava G. Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2016
    Social skills classes in schools might help. Blend it with group therapy.

SateleNovelist11 likes this.
  22. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    I'm With Her!

23. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    LOL, not that echo chamber, at least not anymore.

SateleNovelist11 and Lord Vivec like this.
  24. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    That Irony When Ender implies he hates echo chambers, but can't reasonably engage with anyone he disagrees with.

V-2, Juliet316 and PCCViking like this.
  25. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    Everyone claims to hate echo chambers and everyone gets angry when their views are challenged. It's up to us to keep each other honest.

That said this place really is a bubble. I learned that after joining a lot of other spaces on the internet.

V-2, Jedi Merkurian and Diggy like this.