main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate Misogyny, Entitlement, and Pop Culture

Discussion in 'Community' started by Heero_Yuy, May 29, 2014.

1. Zapdos

Zapdos Force Ghost star 5

Jan 7, 2013
    actually that's a great way to work out. you'll never run as fast as you do when there's a creep chasing you

2. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Creep.

3. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    Let's not get personal. I get you women can't help it bu-- crap.

Darth_Invidious likes this.
  4. EmpireForever

EmpireForever Force Ghost star 8

Mar 15, 2004
    ITT: creep shaming.

and the mods allow this? how? where is juicetice?

PRENNTACULAR likes this.
  5. Zapdos

Jan 7, 2013
    moviefan logic
    "i don't like you" means "i secretly like you and want you to stalk me plz"

this guy knows women. take notes, the rest of you

6. EmpireForever

EmpireForever Force Ghost star 8

Mar 15, 2004
    But as has been pointed out, chasing is for betas. If you want to attract someone you've got to repel them first--if you want to be true alpha, I mean.

7. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    I think he's highlighting the problem of extraordinary examples. Yes, they can shock the conscience enough to start cultural dialogue around a question that doesn't usually receive attention. But that same weirdness usually manages the warp the character of that dialogue so much that one can wonder, in retrospect, what it's true value was. For instance, look at the the public reaction to Donald Sterling's comments. Did we need to have more frank discussions about the way racism persists in the US? Absolutely. But, in the first place many people came away from that incident incorrectly assuming that racism is no longer a problem simply because everyone agreed to condemn Sterling. Likewise, there was almost no discussion of institutional racism as seen in our criminal justice system at every level (from stop-and-frisk policies, all the way through sentencing and the death penalty), the retrenchment of segregation in our educational system, the role of unconscious bias in hiring and promotion. It just reinforced the increasingly irrelevant notion of racism as being primarily about an old bigot spewing invective. In light of that, did this "conversation" really move us forward on the issue of race?

Likewise here, the killer's comments absolutely stimulate people to reflect on misogyny. But if it's conceived as being primarily about mass murderers (or really, murderers at all) then it's missing a great deal of important elements. Just as a Sterling framework lets policies that envision all black males as criminal slide by without being identified as racist (because, hey, at least no one from the NYPD went on a 30 minute rant about being seen with black people at basketball games) so too does it let misogynists off the hook because at least they didn't kill anyone. I can certainly sympathize with that view, though I don't know I agree.

8. Zapdos

Jan 7, 2013
    that was pointed out by a gamma. trust moviefan. he knows his stuff.

EmpireForever likes this.
  9. Moviefan2k4

Moviefan2k4 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 29, 2009
    I wasn't referring to women who plainly tell men they're not interested, but those who play mental or emotional "teasing games" to gauge the extent of the man's interest.

10. PRENNTACULAR

PRENNTACULAR VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2005
    every time i see a girl in running shoes i give her a good chase. she wouldn't be dressed like that if she didn't want it.

11. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    Hooray, another Gender Wars thread on the internet. This is exactly what everyone needs.

Point Given likes this.
  12. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005

. . . .

Okay.... needed a moment to process that crap post. I don't know what color the sky is in your world, or if you're even speaking from experience, but this generally doesn't happen. Chances are, what you perceive as "emotional or teasing games" is simply rejection, and you're turning it into a "chase" on your own.

13. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002

beta

14. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    Fast becoming the JC's hit word for 2014.

15. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I would try to figure out how moviefan distinguishes between "plainly telling men they're not interested" and "playing teasing games" but...nah. I don't want to know.

No means no means non means nein.

Don't read anything into it and hurt your brain.

16. Zapdos

Jan 7, 2013
    i'd like to hear more about this game. how do you play? what do you win? because if it's a sweaty creep then i don't want to play

harpua and anakinfansince1983 like this.
  17. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    m'lady

Rogue_Ten likes this.
  18. Heero_Yuy

Heero_Yuy Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 28, 2000
    LMAO. Because yet another debate about gun control is just so much more intellectually stimulating, right?

19. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
    i think there is an element of taking moviefan's points a little too literally, blowing them up a little too much and running with it. due to primarily historical interactions with him, i'd imagine. i don't think it's too ridiculous to claim that there is an element of "gaming" in men and women's sexual interactions -- there is a bit more subtlety to things, if only because we are human beings, and most of us don't always know what the hell we want. anecdotal admittedly, but a male friend of mine spent years "chasing" a female friend of mine before they finally started going out. they're now married. him "chasing" her for years, when she made it clear, evidently, for years, that she just wanted to be friends, didn't mean he was stalking her outside her house every morning. it also didn't mean that she didn't like the attention he gave her for those years, even if nothing happened. it's a point not really related to the article, but i see this kind of lampooning of people's posts a lot thesedays and think sometimes it's a little unfair.

Souderwan and Moviefan2k4 like this.
  20. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    ok, i can definitely appreciate that view. but the conversations i've been seeing and taking part in have been going the other way. from what i've seen this is causing people to have the discussion about the broader issue of underlying misogyny in our culture. it's causing people to speak up about this issue where they might not have before. the article we're discussing is a perfect case in point. he begins by stating that he was going to write an article about 'the big bang theory' before this happened.

21. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Why is it every time the discussion of gender or sexism comes up, the same men have problems with it and don't want to talk about it?

22. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    Gun control is going to cause less people to die than this thread will.

23. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    This thread will cause people to die? Literally? :p

24. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Yes, it's all part of MS's new "JCDIE" virus, which goes into effect every time we issue a warning.

Boba Nekhbet likes this.
  25. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001

Much this-edness.

There was a piece I read, which I'm trying to find, just after the Rodger shooting took place. But the author quoted a noted feminist blogger who cautioned something related to your point, in a tangential way; the risk we face is that we talk of his misogyny as part of a crazy lone-wolf ideology and not as a symptom of rot in our wider culture.

Yanksfan and Juliet316 like this.