main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Your reaction to Palpatine's force lightning

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by dolphin, Jun 6, 2014.

1. Prophet 49

Prophet 49 Jedi Master star 1

Sep 11, 2014
    I think I liked it better when Palpatine was the only practitioner of the Dark Side who could command Force Lightning. As much as I do like the prequels, it kind of took away from the almost "god"like powers that the Emperor had and nullified it to "just another thing the bad guys could do".

2. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    I don't think it's limited to 'bad' guys and I think it's awesome Dooku used it teach arrogant Skywalker a lesson. :D

Sudooku likes this.
  3. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    That part is good but it ruins the reveal of it in ROTJ imo.

whostheBossk likes this.
  4. Ananta Chetan

Ananta Chetan Force Ghost star 5

Aug 11, 2013
    Your reaction to Palpatine's force lightning...

[face_worried]

5. sbk1234

sbk1234 Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 21, 2014
    Luke did rush away from his training too fast, so it's possible that he would have taught Luke, had he stuck around.

6. dolphin

dolphin Chosen One star 5

Nov 5, 1999

How exactly does one get trained to repel/absorb lightning?

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  7. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    [face_rofl]

dolphin likes this.
  8. sbk1234

sbk1234 Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 21, 2014
    I have no idea. If I knew, I'd be a Jedi master. I imagine there must be some way, since Yoda was able to do it.

dolphin likes this.
  9. Sudooku

Sudooku Jedi Master star 4

May 31, 2014
    The first time, I saw Palpatine's force-lightening, was in RotS. That time it was pretty much stuff to perceive for me from all of the three parts of that prequel-trilogy. The chancellor seemed to be a honorable distinguished man in my eyes. I was still wobbling until that showdown in Palpatine's office, who was really the bad and who was the good guy. Palpatine's arguments against the jedi he uttered towards Anakin, seemed very reasonable to me at first. :confused: When the force-lightning came, I was first a bit flabbergasted, but also very impressed. Then, after Mace Windu flying out of the office's window and Anakin grieved and mourned about what he has done, only by then I was convinced that Palpatine is really the evil guy and must be fight.

(image removed at poster's request)

In the sequels I saw a little later, it was much more clear to me that Palpatine was the ultimate bad guy. Later in RotJ I was terrified because the force-lightning upon Luke seemed to be never ending and Vader just stood there wobbling with himself for such a long time doing completely nothing. Then finaly he acted. (sigh)

dolphin likes this.
  10. SatineNaberrie

SatineNaberrie Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2014
    It was scary when I was little, lol.

dolphin likes this.
  11. rsdaddy141

rsdaddy141 Jedi Youngling

Feb 14, 2015
    I was 10 when ROTJ came out.When The Emperor used his Force lightning,I was super surprised. It was scary and awesome at the same time.I don't count the Prequels(I'm not insulting them,it's my personal preference :) )and I thought the Emperor was old like Yoda,like a counter part,and the lightning was perfect for an ancient evil like him.

dolphin, Force Smuggler and Sarge like this.
  12. Sudooku

Sudooku Jedi Master star 4

May 31, 2014
    Well, Palps really looked quite as old as Yoda after the defeat of Mace Windu [face_laugh]

I just discovered recently that he was infact almost twenty standard-years younger than his second apprentice Dooku. And I wonder what would have happened if not Plagueis would have discovered him at Naboo, but Dooku instead when he was a young Jedi (if he was Jedi at this time).
    Maybe Yoda would have told Dooku something like this: "Doubtful about bringing him into the temple I am. To much hatred sense I do."

Sorry, just one spontaneaus thought of my humble self.

OT off.[face_blush]

dolphin likes this.
  13. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005
    too long ago for me to remember

14. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    I felt terrible for Luke, it looked he was being electrocuted.

nightangel likes this.
  15. RobbaFett

RobbaFett Jedi Youngling

Feb 7, 2015
    I was impressed! The worst we'd seen of the dark side at that point was Force Choke from Vader, so to see actual lightning manifested was just brilliant!

dolphin and Force Smuggler like this.
  16. enigmaticjedi

enigmaticjedi Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 2, 2011
    Honestly, no other word more aptly describes my reaction than this little one: "Whoa!"

At the same time though, I thought Luke was an idiot for throwing away his lightsaber.

Juxtaposition that went through my head:

Yoda: "Do not underestimate the power of the Emperor." Luke (thinking): "Completely disarm myself when confronting the Emperor, got it."

dolphin likes this.
  17. Tarkin's Fuzzy Slippers

Tarkin's Fuzzy Slippers Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 18, 2014
    I was both terrified and intrigued by it. Seriously, it has to be my favorite force power hands down.

dolphin likes this.
  18. Libs

Libs Jedi Knight star 1

Aug 17, 2018
    Being a PT kid first, I had the same reaction when Palps revealed he had a lightsaber ( perhaps the whole time he spent time with him ) inside his sleeve and killed 3 Jedi at once in mere seconds.

Less unique than Lightning I'll admit, and little goofy but that's when it first entered to me that not only was this guy evil and smart, he's also the strongest Sith in the whole saga, where I had only seen him as a manipulative old guy.

19. Erkan12

Erkan12 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 27, 2013
    I was like ''wow'' I wasn't expecting that... I couldn't blame Luke when I first saw it.

But after seeing so many times the Force lightning from Dooku, PT era Palpatine, and Snoke it's not that impressive now.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  20. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    When I was extremely young... like, 3-4 tops... I remember this scene absolutely terrifying me. Like, to the point where I'd actually start feeling anxious as soon as Luke and Vader's duel ended.

dolphin and Sarge like this.
  21. Matty20172018

Matty20172018 Jedi Knight star 1

Aug 20, 2017
    Lightsaber didn't save Windu. What if Windu actually put down his blade and called Palpys bluff. Anakin may not have turned after all. Certainly not at this moment and Palpy would have a problem.

22. Jade Kenobi

Jade Kenobi Jedi Padawan

Aug 2, 2018
    I was ten, I think, and had no clue it was coming. I remember freaking out, expecting Luke to die, and inwardly screaming at Vader to do something.
    I still get the same feeling during the scene, even after watching it so many times, and seeing lightning used in the PT etc, that original feeling of shock is still there.

23. C.Roach

C.Roach Jedi Knight star 2

May 3, 2018
    A surprise I wasn't expecting back in 1983. The old spider was lethal.

24. xx_Anakin_xx

xx_Anakin_xx Jedi Master star 4

Jan 9, 2008
    This. It is debilitating, but the recovery seems to be fairly rapid unless there are additional injuries. This seems to have remained true in subsequent movies/series. You'd think it would shock a human (even a Jedi eventually) to death. Perhaps the Emperor could regulate its use...

dolphin likes this.
  25. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    I've accidentally touched a live wire a few times. It can be painful enough to stop you doing whatever you're doing for as long as the electricity flows, but as soon as it stops, you can just shake it off and you'll be fine in a few moments. I think that part was realistic enough.

dolphin likes this.