main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Your reaction to Palpatine's force lightning

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by dolphin, Jun 6, 2014.

1. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    5 year old me was terrified.

dolphin likes this.
  2. Lukers

Lukers Jedi Master star 1

Jun 16, 2016
    I thought it was awesome and definitely made me fear the Emperor.

dolphin likes this.
  3. BlackRanger

BlackRanger Jedi Master star 4

Apr 14, 2018
    I think it's interesting that up until that point Palpatine's use of the Force has been conveyed entirely through dialogue and facial expressions.

PCCViking and Sarge like this.
  4. Dandelo

Dandelo SW and Film Music Interview Host star 10 VIP - Game Host

Aug 25, 2014
    I kinda already knew through promos and movie stills. And even then probably before I saw any of the movies so the impact was obviously not as strong as it could have been. Still cool though....but then again I'd seen god-skeletor from Masters Of The Universe :p

dolphin likes this.
  5. RolandofGilead

RolandofGilead Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 17, 2001
    I was expecting it as I'd read the novelization half a dozen times before finally getting to see it on a bootleg VHS.

christophero30 likes this.
  6. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    Being the life long spoiler hound that i am I went to a bookstore prior to the movie release and read the last chapter of the novel. So I knew how it was going to end and Luke would live. But the Vader turn was a surprise.

7. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    First time I saw it was when I was nine. I was shocked. I did not see that coming. I wondered if Luke was a goner, and watching Vader be torn with emotional conflict grabbed my attention during this horror for Luke.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2019
  8. whostheBossk

whostheBossk Force Ghost star 4

Apr 16, 2002
    I can imagine i was shocked and scared. I don't remember much but I will live through this scene again with my four year old on the 31st. Going to see the movie at a small theater. I hope I waited until a good time as he is almost three years younger from when I saw it.

9. Dark Ferus

Dark Ferus Chosen One star 8

Jul 29, 2016
    Like many post-OT era kids, I knew about Force lightning before watching the film, so it didn’t faze me so much.

Much less than the scene of Padme giving birth in ROTS.

What was scarier than the lightning was how close Luke was to death, and how much pain he was in.

10. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    Didn't he lift his finger when he removed Luke's shackles? ;)

11. BlackRanger

Apr 14, 2018
    A very good point. So we know the Emperor has the Force. But he hardly uses it, in contrast to Vader, who chokes Imperial officers to death for looking at him funny.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2019
    Iron_lord likes this.
  12. DARTHLINK

DARTHLINK Force Ghost star 4

Feb 24, 2005
    Me: “Well, Luke’s dead. Shouldn’t have thrown your weapon away, huh?”

PCCViking likes this.
  13. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    You think Yoda would have warned Luke about Force lightning. :p

whostheBossk and christophero30 like this.
  14. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Given how broad the lightning streams look, I wouldn't at the time have expected lightsabers to be any defence against it, until AOTC portrayed them as providing some limited degree of protection.

dolphin likes this.
  15. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    And it depends on those who are using the lightning. Dooku's seemed less intense than Sidious, and Obi-Wan was able to block it relatively easily (although Anakin charged and got hurled back). However, Mace had to struggle to use his saber to block Sidious's lightning.

16. christophero30

May 18, 2017
    he was too busy judging him. :p

17. AEHoward33

AEHoward33 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 11, 2019
    I don't have a problem with Force lightning. I just don't see why only the Sith would use it.

18. BlackRanger

Apr 14, 2018
    What would a Jedi use it for? It's inherently pain-causing and life-draining. It's an offensive technique meant not just to incapacitate a target, but cause them pain and suffering also. It's about as close to a stock "evil" Force power as Force powers can get.

19. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Obi-wan said that life creates the Force and makes it grow. Force lightning is used to destroy life, which is its own source of power. That is not a sustainable cycle, it's twisted and wrong, and that wrongness manifests itself in the lives and appearance of those who practice it. It's like a starving snake that tries to survive by eating its own tail; not viable and only leads to an ugly death.

20. lord_sidious_

lord_sidious_ Jedi Knight star 3

Feb 19, 2019
    I think it's compatibility issues, it's like trying to download a cellphone app onto a computer. The light side has its own techniques; Force lightning is just not one of them.

devilinthedetails likes this.
  21. MY Millennium Falcon

MY Millennium Falcon Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 9, 2019
    I remember watching ROTJ for the first time on TV back in 1999 (reruns in conjunction with the release of TPM) and when ol’ Sheev suddenly shot those bolts of lightning from his hands, that was a shock... I didn’t know that the Sith were so powerful to have such a “weapon”, and that Luke would definitely die from the relentless Force Lightning attacks!

Of course we now know what happened in the end and it was the father who would perish instead, sacrificing himself to save the life of the son...

Last edited: Aug 23, 2019
  22. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    My initial reaction was how the hell was the emperor not also shocked. He was standing on a metal floor.

23. christophero30

May 18, 2017
    it was set up nicely because before this he just sat and was very calm. But then you realize how powerful he was.

dolphin and devilinthedetails like this.
  24. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    It was very terrifying when I first saw it as a little girl. I think it's a powerful way of emphasizing Palpatine's strength in the Force (offsetting his soft-spoken demeanor), showing Luke in pain, and also something that can partially explain Vader's fear and deference to Palpatine, since he has this power that can obviously inflict substantial damage on Vader's suit that Vader needs to live. This power of Palpatine's is what puts Luke in such pain that Vader is driven to save his son and it is what ensures that Vader dies for his son, sacrificing himself in a manner that befits his redemption.

25. AEHoward33

AEHoward33 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 11, 2019
    For me, lightning is a part of nature. It can be used for beneficial or detrimental reasons. This is why I don't see why the use of "Force" lightning should have been restricted to the Sith.