main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Your reaction to Palpatine's force lightning

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by dolphin, Jun 6, 2014.

1. BlackRanger

BlackRanger Jedi Master star 4

Apr 14, 2018
    If you can think of a use for Force lightning that doesn't involve pain and suffering, maybe. Short-order cook, perhaps? Though I wonder how often that aligns with a Jedi's job description.

2. AEHoward33

AEHoward33 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 11, 2019
    What if the energy of some ship, device, etc. requires more charging? Use lightning. I've seen other franchises that use lightning abilities for good or bad reasons.

3. BlackRanger

BlackRanger Jedi Master star 4

Apr 14, 2018
    That could work. So far, though, all we've seen of it is its use against sentient beings. Which is very Sithly.

4. lord_sidious_

lord_sidious_ Jedi Knight star 3

Feb 19, 2019
    I think might be possible, in theory, for the Jedi to use a version of Force lightning. But they have to design their own Force lightning "software" compatible with their Light Side "operating system". And the Sith aren't going to help them out by showing them the "programming" of the Dark Side version; the Jedi need to start from scratch.

5. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    I like @devilinthedetails description of Force lightning being a reason he was afraid of Sheev, as I always wondered why Vader didn't just overthrow him. It seems Shiv had something on him that held him back.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2019
    dolphin and devilinthedetails like this.
  6. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    Thanks. I'm always happy when someone likes my head canon:)

whostheBossk and dolphin like this.
  7. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    I've said this before but your posts are very well thought out and articulate. :)

dolphin and devilinthedetails like this.
  8. oierem

oierem Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 18, 2009
    The Emperor's force lighting was always one of the most fascinating moments for me, as a kid. I LOVED that he could do that, and I loved that he didn't do it until the last moment.
    In a way, it's a shame Dooku used the same effect in Clones. I could do without it.

9. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    Exactly. The lightning was effective because it confirmed the Emperor was a powerful figure and not an old man sitting in a chair or walking around with a cane.

dolphin likes this.
  10. AllTheSingleMaras

AllTheSingleMaras Jedi Knight star 2

Aug 16, 2019
    Agreed. As a kid I wondered why Luke couldn’t just force the Emperor to surrender... the old dude seemed pretty weak. And why would Vader hold the emperor in such high regard??

But when that lightening came out.. BOOM. I was shook. Also, I think it’s a darker power because it’s so uncontrollable and chaotic, like the dark side. You don’t wield the power of the dark side... it wields YOU.

But yah, if Luke ever gave the Falcon a jumpstart in an act of desperation, I don’t think that constitutes a ping for dark force usage. IMO.

11. Darth__Lobot

Darth__Lobot Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 29, 2015
    As a 7 or 8 year old kid in the theater it was "Whoah - the emperor can do that?"

I do think it was a mistake to have Dooku use it..... as it begs the question of why Vader never used lightning since he supposed was much more powerful than Dooku. I liked having it be something only the emperor had mastered

whostheBossk and dolphin like this.
  12. Felicia

Felicia Jedi Master star 3

Dec 3, 2012
    My thoughts on Vader not using force lightning is likely due to the fact that one of his arms were cut off and he was more machine than man at that point. Using force lightning post suit would have killed him. If he had remained outside of the suit pretty sure he would have been able to use force lightning once he tapped into the dark side more deeply. Keep in mind Dooku was a lot older than Anakin and had been around longer so he most likely knew a little more.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2019
    dolphin, PCCViking and Iron_lord like this.
  13. dolphin

dolphin Chosen One star 5

Nov 5, 1999
    I like reading these accounts and encourage everyone who saw ROTJ in 1983 to share their firsthand experience of Palpatine’s use of force lightning.

whostheBossk likes this.
  14. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid Force Ghost star 6

Mar 13, 2014
    We had no idea what the Emperor could do. Vader builds him up in the opening. But it's not until the lightening that was see the pay off why it comes to physical damaging power.

It was pretty great. It also left a ton of questions.

whostheBossk likes this.
  15. TheCloneWarsForever

TheCloneWarsForever Force Ghost star 7

Apr 24, 2018
    I didn't think the lightning lived up to the hype. Force choke was already a lot more efficient at killing and it was also much more original and iconic. It's something that became instantly synonymous with Vader. Palpatine is the ultimate bad guy in the final climax of what (was) the end of the Star Wars trilogy and instead of something equally fresh and unique that we could remember the Emperor by, we got something that was an overused trope in every RPG fantasy spellbook.