main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Your Thoughts On Qui-Gon Discovering Anakin

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Anakin_Darth, Feb 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Anakin_Darth

Anakin_Darth Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 28, 2005
    Some people say that it should have been Obi-Wan to find and discover Anakin. Personally, for me, with the way Ben describes how he came to know Anakin, I would say there's nothing wrong with Qui-Gon finding and training Anakin. Ben never says he discovered Anakin, and by saying "he was a good friend" doesn't imply that he spent every single second with him, or even liked him at first. I have people that I didn't like at first, and yet I call them good friends. I'm just saying - I see nothing wrong with Qui-Gon finding Anakin in TPM, and as it goes, by the end of the movie, Obi-Wan believes in Anakin and desires to train him.

2. jbird2155

jbird2155 Jedi Youngling

Jan 30, 2008
    Obi-Wan doesn't necesarily believe in Anakin at the end of TPM, he just couldn't bring himself to refuse his promise that he made to Qui-gon when he was dying, that he would train the boy. On the other hand I am also perfectly fine with Obi-Wan not "discovering" Anakin.

3. Anakin_Darth

Anakin_Darth Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 28, 2005
    Any other thoughts?

4. Master_Starwalker

Master_Starwalker Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2003
    The problem isn't about Obi-Wan believing in Anakin it's that he says he took it upon himself to train Anakin when we know that he only trained Anakin because his master said to.

5. The Lurker

The Lurker Jedi Master star 4

Aug 19, 1999
    well what he said was true... from a certain point of view

6. Master_Starwalker

Master_Starwalker Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2003
    It is, but that doesn't mean Lucas should have sought out ways to make it less literally true than it had to be.

7. DARTHCLANDESTINE

DARTHCLANDESTINE Jedi Youngling star 3

May 17, 2005
    Im glad we're not the ones making the movie. Just can't please everyone.

" I will train Anakin. Without the Council's approval if I must". Sure sounds like he took it upon himself. [face_peace]

8. DARTH-SMELLY-FEET

DARTH-SMELLY-FEET Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 7, 2007
    I liked how he was discovered.

9. SaberJedi2

SaberJedi2 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 5, 2007
    I liked that Qui-Gon discovered Anakin. The fact that Obi-Wan did not discover Anakin played more into the story. His doubt in Anakin during TPM plays is foreshadowing for the coming movies. You can almost see that he'll have trouble training Anakin.

I also think it's fitting that Qui-Gon, the "rogue" jedi was the one to find the chose one. Had it been anyone else he was so devoted to the force, he may not have been discovered.

10. Eternity85

Eternity85 Jedi Master star 3

Jan 24, 2008
    It was perfect! If any of the other jedi had discovered Anakin, i dont think they would have taken him back to Corucant.
    Maybe they wouldnt have noticed him at all?? Qui gon was so aware of the living force, he was very different than the other Jedi, without him i dont think Anakin would ever have been a Jedi, although he would still be the choosen one.

11. xx_Anakin_xx

xx_Anakin_xx Jedi Master star 4

Jan 9, 2008
    I think it was very good that Qui-Gon found Anakin. As others have said, most would have left him there - maybe every other Jedi except Qui-Gon would have. But the prophecy was a product of the Jedi, revealing the will of the force. I don't think the force wished for Anakin to become a Sith - so it was his destiny to become a Jedi. It was that the force knew, no matter how much of a Sith Sidious and Vader tried to make Anakin, the flicker of light that was the Jedi inside of him would always remain. I think that had to do with Anakin's nature; he was a selfless and compassionate child who knew nothing of greed. While he learned the opposite of those things and practiced them, they could never be completely erased from his character.

How much of that Qui-Gon saw we don't know. He may have merely seen the end where Anakin the Jedi had destroyed the Sith and brought balance to the force. And in the end, that is all that mattered. The whole Vader thing maybe could have been avoided and everything played out differently, but the finale would have been the same.

12. LemmingLord

LemmingLord Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 28, 2005
    It was fine to have another Jedi spot him. The star wars universe seems a little too confined at times - with everyone being someone's father or master or such; so it was good to have the Qui Gon character for that reason alone.. I suppose there are ways that Obi Wan could have found him, but he would have brought him before Qui Gon anyway, so it works either way.

I find it somewhat disagreeable that Obi Wan chose to train Anakin BECAUSE his master wanted him trained. What kind of Jedi detachment is this? Then again, perhaps this is the recklessness some people have noted seems missing from the PT. In the OT Obi Wan says "[I was reckless too] if you remember..." to Yoda and some people don't think he displayed that in the PT... But perhaps choosing Anakin just because his master said so was the recklessness in question...

13. DARTH-SMELLY-FEET

DARTH-SMELLY-FEET Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 7, 2007

Its strange that when Anakin was a boy he knew nothing of greed and was selfless and compassionate. It took Jedi training to remove his selfless and compassionate side and make him greedy.

So a big well done to the Jedi.

14. xx_Anakin_xx

xx_Anakin_xx Jedi Master star 4

Jan 9, 2008
    [face_laugh] true. But we can't forget that he was also allowed by the Jedi to get close to Palpatine who worked in that regard. Nothing like being extra careful of your 'chosen one'. I think I would have recommended limiting his outside influences greatly and pushed for Yoda and other esteemed Jedi to help with Anakin's training.

As for Obi-Wan being reckless; I don't think it was only in keeping his promise to train Anakin, but in in things like leaping out after Darth Maul in anger. That went well, but it could have easily ended in his defeat. We didn't witness a lot of recklessness from Obi-Wan, but we didn't witness a good part of his training and subsequent raising of Anakin, etc. He obviously was reckless sometimes or he would not have said so or the others would have disagreed with him.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.