main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph [Your thread should you choose to accept it] The Mission: Impossible movies

Discussion in 'Community' started by TiniTinyTony , Jul 30, 2018.

1. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2019
  2. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    He chose to accept that mission. ;)

3. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
  4. duende

duende Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 28, 2006
    i still haven't started MI2 yet. i will soon, i promise

5. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Bring provisions, it's the toughest sit.

Violent Violet Menace and Sarge like this.
  6. duende

Apr 28, 2006
    i'll bring alcoholic provisions and maybe have a captain willard moment.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  7. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    I still need to see Fallout.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  8. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    You should! this happens! He reloads his arms CA-CHAK

[​IMG]

9. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    The best part about that whole thing started even from the trailer, because we're all like... "Did... did he just reload his actual guns?!?"

And then everyone's totally cool with that, like it's normal, because ... Henry Cavill. Checks out!

10. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    I liked this scene. It was very Bourne, just three guys in a bathroom beating the crap out of each other. Hell, the very first thing Henry Cavil does it beat a guy over the head with Hunt’s 3D printer-laptop

Last edited: Jan 15, 2019
  11. duende

Apr 28, 2006
    i love the bourne movies. maybe i should skip straight to fallout...

12. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Skipping 2 isn't a bad idea but even if you skip to Fallout it's the only real direct sequel in the franchise. Hell, the title is "Fallout" and it's all about what happens after "Rogue Nation".

I still love 3 and 4, though.

13. Violent Violet Menace

Violent Violet Menace Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 11, 2004
    Fallout makes the most references to previous plots than any of the others in the series.

14. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    If you care about the plots of these films, you should see Rogue Nation before Fallout. But if you're just watching for the stunt scenes, it really doesn't matter. IMO, the plots are just thin excuses for a string of stunts.

15. duende

Apr 28, 2006
    just finished mi2. a very silly effort. reeks of ego - disgusting. while stylish, it is taken to the point of absurdity. is woo always like this? i honestly don't remember.

turn-of-the-millennium garbage. i almost puked when the metallica song kicked in at the end.

16. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    And all of the s l o w m o t i o n action shots. :rolleyes:

17. duende

Apr 28, 2006
    yeah, terrible. i'm gonna try to start mi:3 tonight. just bought a new soundbar so i need to spend some time setting it up first and calibrating the sound and all that ****. we'll see.

EHT and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  18. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    MI3 and Ghost Protocol are my favourite ones although Rogue Nation and Fallout ain't no slouches. (Apparently I'm in the minority for MI3 which everyone else just seems irritated by). Ghost Protocol is just pure gold all the way through. I should rewatch the first Mission Impossible since it's been, oh, decade at least, probably more.

19. Luke_Sparkewalker

Luke_Sparkewalker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 23, 2001
    I like MI:3 the best then ghost protocol. So you’re not alone

20. duende

Apr 28, 2006
    okay so mi:3! much better than i remembered it being. i suspect this (unofficially) formed the blueprint for the following installments. certainly the next one, which i've seen.

anyway the decision to humanize croozes character was a necessary one, particularly after the abstracted godlike entity he was in the last film. vomit.

i remember not really buying into the fiancee thing when i first saw the film but now i think its fine. the stakes certainly feel more real than they did with the thief he oh-so-poetically falls for in magical espana.

psh as the villain was an inspired choice. though his motivations are about as vague as the loser from the last film, his laser-like focus and ice-cold, unsentimental logic contrasting with his shlubbiness and lack of self-regard is really compelling.

so far the most macguffiney macguffin yet. self-mockingly so. i enjoyed it now, not so much back then.

again, some sequences strain credulity but in comparison with the last film, completely tolerable.

can't believe how chunky simon whatsisface is in this.

anyway, on to mi:4!

Last edited: Feb 9, 2019
  21. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Yeah, the Rabbit's Foot or whatever is by far the most literal Macguffin since the GI Joe cartoon episode "Once Upon A Joe" which features the Macguffin Device (it's actual name), thus lampshading it for all time.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  22. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    did we ever find out what the rabbit's foot was ?

23. duende

Apr 28, 2006
    a macgucfins

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  24. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    The closest you get is the anti-God theory, good as any. Oddly, one thing that sticks in my head in that movie is when Cruise is perpetuating his cover story of working on traffic and he talks warmly about traffic being alive and an organism that can stop at any moment "I study traffic patterns. You hit the brakes for a second, just tap them on the freeway, you can literally track the ripple effect of that action across a 200-mile stretch of road, because traffic has a memory. It's amazing. It's like a living organism."

and Greg Grunberg kind of rolls his eyes. It's very silly but Cruise sells it, still makes me laugh.

Violent Violet Menace likes this.
  25. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    is that the one with an egg on top?

duende likes this.