main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Orlando, FL Your toy gathering experience!

Discussion in 'SouthEast Regional Discussion' started by dddmaul, Apr 23, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dddmaul

dddmaul Jedi Youngling

Oct 15, 2001
    Hello everyone, I am new to posting here. I just wanted to share my positive experience with the Orlando FanForce community.

I was at the Wal-Mart on E. Colonial near UCF, hanging out with about 20 people for about an hour. About 12:10-15, a covered rolling rack with "Don't open until 12:01" marked on the outside is pushed out by 2 employees. As soon as they rip the cover off, it was crazy. There was no time or supply for cherry pickers, as it was as frantic as Enron officers and directors selling their stocks last year.

It was mostly collection 1, lightsabers, poseable figures, Slave ship, some deluxe figures, etc. It took about 3 minutes for that cart to be dismantled, with most of the lightsabers left. About 10 minutes later, and every 5 minutes after that, they brought out what they said was all they had, including some power of the force tie bombers, snowspeeders, vehicles from the new movie, collection 2.

The rarest figures seemed to be count dooku(which a nice guy named Steve picked one of maybe two total in the store out for me after I had introduced myself earlier after he was knocked in the head with those metal things that the figures hang on in the initial rush), r2-d2, all the deluxe figures, obi-wan, battle droid, jango, c3-po (I know it seems like most of them, there were some that they had a lot of or nobody wanted them). There were no Shaak Ti, Plo Koon, Tusken Raider, mace windu and others.

There are some other figures that I did not see but don't think I can say due to possible spoilers, and that is the last thing that I want to do to someone.

So, in all, I was glad I went, talked to Steve, who was nice even w/o picking dooku for me, talked a little to others, all in all most people were friendly, didn't steal from other carriages, had a funny conversation about what the cashier up front might due to ruin the card of the figures when they bag them, and other small-talk.

Anyway, I had fun, and I hope to maybe see some of you around for the premiere at midnight. I was at Pleasure Island in '99 for Ep 1, dressed in a decent Darth Maul outfit, with my dual lightsaber, face painted, no horns though(I couldn't borrow my ex-girlfriend's), having fun with the tv cameras and my friends.

2. Cigam Retah

Cigam Retah Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 30, 1999
    That's great, man!

I just realized I didn't get a Slave One.

3. Bobanutt

Bobanutt Jedi Youngling

Apr 23, 2002
    Hi everyone. I have to say that I was pretty disappointed with the whole toy gathering thing last night. I went to the Super Wal-Mart on 441 in Apopka and I guess I have a problem with people scooping up armloads of figures and dumping them in their carts before everyone has the chance to have access to them. It didn't seem like there were that many people in line but in the 20 seconds it took for me to walk toward the pegs, they were pretty much picked clean(by the vultures). Since I didn't want to be rude, pushing my way through, all I could do was stand there, watching the ensuing gluttony. I've been a collector for a long time. I understand the excitement. But, I mean, do you really need more than two of something? One to keep mint and one to open( if that's what you like to do- if not then one is fine). Unless you plan on taking advantage of someone who doesn't know any better by reselling the item at a rediculously high price. In that case, you would need to grab as much as possible.

I don't remember midnight madness at TRU in Altamonte in 1999 being anything like last night was. I remember that it was fun and there were genuine good feelings between people.

Sorry to be negative on my first posting.

4. Lord_Gita

Lord_Gita Former TFN FanFilms Staff star 4 VIP

Oct 5, 2000
    What do you still need? I can see if we have extras down here. THe various stores have far different selections.

5. Forja-Bingbey

Forja-Bingbey Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 12, 2002
    I'm sorry that you feel that way. If you really need figures you should check out the store in the Daytona beach area, they're off the hook. Loads of figures for everyone. I picked up a Red Guard and a Tun-We today at the local Toys-R-Us and they still have tons more on the shelf. So if you live in the Orlando area and are willing to make a trip out to good old Volusia County, we have plenty to go around.

I was there last night and I do agree with your 'Vultures' remark. Espically when they are so desperate for stuff they take it right from your cart, guarded or unguarded.

P.S. I just want to tell everyone that I was glad to meet some new people last night... Cigam, Gay-Len to name names. The real reason I went was to meet some of the people off of the Fan Force and have a good time. What happened didn't effect Me, it just was a shock that I thought there might have been a little more solidarity.

Forja

6. Lumwyrm

Lumwyrm Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 10, 2001
    Hey everyone. Sorry I missed the big get together. By the time I got off work I had completely forgotten about it.

7. JediDan

JediDan Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 25, 2001
    I hit the Wal-Mart in St Cloud on my way home last night. There was only me and one other guy waiting...and one poor lady who must have thought us deranged digging through the boxes of figures. Still got to pick and choose a few figures to get, and wish I had more cash.
    :(

8. SeaTrooper

SeaTrooper Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 21, 2001
    OF all the things to be walking out of TRU with, and it was the Jango Fett skateboard.
    Granted I didn't do it because I was fixing to pay for it with a credit card I swiped from my wife.....
    But there is tomorrow!

9. SeaTrooper

Jul 21, 2001
    I got the Sith Lords skateboard! Now my Star Wars shopping experience is complete.
    Buzz

10. Lord_Gita

Lord_Gita Former TFN FanFilms Staff star 4 VIP

Oct 5, 2000
    I went out today and bought the Jango Fett and Anakin/Jedi posters and a pair of Jango electronic Jango blasters that I am customizing to be more accurate and weigh/feel better in my hand. :)

11. Mayo_Solo

Mayo_Solo Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 9, 2001
    Man. I haven't got anything yet. My sister found the Episode II soundtrack but look at it for fear of spoilers.

Anyhow, a store had a whole bunch of stuff in it, and since I couldn't read the tags, I wasn't looking fast ebnough and we had to leave the store so that my sister could hunt down the perfect outfit for a dance. grrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

I'm ok.

12. Ia-Bou

Ia-Bou Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 15, 2001
    hey thats the walmart where I got all of my figures!!!1

13. SeaTrooper

Jul 21, 2001
    If you want to avoid spoilers don't read the packaging the action figures come in. I think I have the plot figured out just from that.

14. Mayo_Solo

Mayo_Solo Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 9, 2001
    I have home study on Wensday for an exchange student, so I had to clean my room and since I did so, and my mom felt bad for me because I couldn't see crap today when I was having private dance lesons cause I can't wear my contacts , guess what?

She bought me a whole set of trading cards.

She wouldn't and won't let me get anything until after I get back from Celebrations because she says she'll buy me stuff there.

Another thing to look out for with spoilers is the New Essential Guide to Characters. The whole plot for EP2 is in the bio of each character that is in EP2.

Just thought I'd warn you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.