main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Your writing resolutions for the new year - a fun thread

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Kit' , Dec 31, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kit'

Kit' Manager Emeritus & Kessel Run Champion! star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Winner

Oct 30, 1999
    As the new year swiftly approaches, I thought it might be fun for people to put up their writing resolutions for next year. Things you want to do, things you want to avoid and so forth.

Here's mine...

1) I will read more stories. Furthermore, I'll stick with reading one story rather then dropping it half way through.

2) I will participate more in the current JemmiahsChronicle round robin

3) I will finish the two stories I've been working on

4) I will finish the series of snapshots about Sara and Xani

5) I will be nicer to fanficcers in general, and a better moderator.

6) I will balance the time spent here better with the time I spend with my boyfriend and flatmates.

7) I will wish everyone a happy New Year!

Of those, there is at least one I can keep!

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

May it be joyous, prosperous and full of plot bunnies :)

Kithera

2. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    This is a good idea.

1) I will finish Betrayal - come heck or high water!

2) I will write more plot bunnies, instead of letting them die of old age.

3) I will lurk less and comment more.

4) I pay attention to my loved ones more.

5) I will glare at my husband every time he tells me to write for money instead of writing for love.

Hopefully, I will actually do all of the above!

3. Jane Jinn

Jane Jinn Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 12, 2000
    1. I will finish Invisible Enemy and make it as good as it can possibly be.

2. I will work on *cough* I mean, I will finish the Kit Fisto and Bant story that's been plaguing me -- *cough* that I've been planning since before AOTC came out.

3. I will participate in at least one holiday challenge in 2004 and offer to help judge one, too (not the same one.)

4. rogue11lovesjag

rogue11lovesjag Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 13, 2002
    I will:

1) Try to update more than once every two months. This is my first semester as an English major..I'm going to be writing on everything but my Star Wars stories.

2) That said, I'm going to FINISH Aftermath and Of Rogues and Remnants before school starts, if I have to post the entire endings in one huge post.

3) I will write songfics despite the lack of critical acclaim for them. ;)

4) I will write my plot bunnies.

5) I will write at other times than the dead of night, so I can actually get up in the morning.

6) I will run all my posts through spellcheck before I post them. (Sometimes I forget.)

7) I will take part in more challenges as they arise...the Christmas fanfiction challenge was fun, and made me think, and I can't wait to try another challenge.

~Rogue

5. Ty-gon Jinn

Ty-gon Jinn Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 12, 2000
    1) I will FINALLY get around to finishing The Shadows of Conflict -- Part Two: The Past Rediscovered.

2) In posting The Cost of Honor or any Shadows of Conflict stories, I will not vanish and make my readers wonder what has become of me while they wait for an update.

3) I will continue to paticipate in challenges and contests.

4) I will not forsake one story for the sake of another.

6. Sara_Kenobi

Sara_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 7

Sep 21, 2000
    1. I'm going to finish all of my stories, and then I will get back to what I've always loved most about my time at this place.. Being just a reader for a while.

2. I will involve myself in more challenges as they come.

3. I may even try and join a Round Robin in 2004, or co-write. That's something I've always avoided.

Edit:

4. I will try and balance out my time here with the other forums more. I'm finding I write less than I used to. It's not a habit I'm too happy about, and one that I hope to break in the new year.

7. Suzuki_Akira

Suzuki_Akira Jedi Master star 7

May 13, 2003
    1)I will finish And A Child Shall Lead Us
    2)I will begin a fanfic arc
    3)I will bring my wishes for Post NJO SW to life in my fics.

8. Jaina_and_Jag

Jaina_and_Jag Jedi Master star 5

Apr 19, 2003
    I will:

1. Finish writing Driven so it can be posted instead of putting it off.

2. Stop writing in the middle of the night when you're supposed to be sleeping.

3. Keep up with the stroies I'm reading instead of starting a million others that I forget about.

4. Balance out my reading with my writing. (i need to write more)

9. Jaina_Fel_06

Jaina_Fel_06 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 17, 2002
    I will:

1) Finish Setting the Matter Straight so I can move on

2) Work on the story TJF suggested

3) Develop my plot bunnies fully instead of writing a paragraph or two and then letting them die

4) Read a lot more

5) Comment more instead of lurking

6) Harness my muse

Happy New Year, everyone! :D

10. Lt_Jaina_Solo

Lt_Jaina_Solo Jedi Knight star 5

May 27, 2002
    Here are mine...

1) I will spend more time writing stories, and less time being distracted by those stupid games on the computer... (die, minesweeper, die 8-} )

2) I will finish the sequel to Complications within nine months, and I won't drag it out for a year and a half like I did with its predecessor

3) I will focus on the other, non-Jaina/Jag story ideas that I have, and I will participate more in the various challanges.

4) I will start/read/review more stories, and I WILL STICK WITH THEM.

5) I will not disappear for months at a time.

Hmm...how much do you want to bet I don't keep any of them? [face_plain] ;)

11. MariahJade2

MariahJade2 Former Fan Fiction Archive Editor star 5 VIP

Mar 18, 2001
    Good idea Kit. :)

I can't promise to keep these, they're more like "guidlines" to borrow from pirates. Hehehe.

1. I will try to finish at least one of the stories on my hardrive and actually post it.

2. I will spend more time reading in the fan fic forum.

3. I will try to reply more rather than lurking.

4. I will encourage certain people to finish their stories.

12. Seraphena

Seraphena Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 20, 2003
    1.) I will be more faithful in my reviewing of stories

2.) I will try to be more indepth as to my responses.

3.) I will not kill my computer for eating my posts.

4.) I will be more attentive in reviewing new stories, not just the authors I am familiar with.

13. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    Hmmm....

1) try to reply more often... drag myself out of lurkdome.

2) particpate in challanges.

3) finish what I

14. Ginger_Jedi

Ginger_Jedi Jedi Knight star 6

Jun 4, 2001
    1) Start and finish what *may* be my last JA fan fic

2) Start and finish more originals

3) Read more fan fics to try and get my Star Wars kick back

15. CmdrMitthrawnuruodo

CmdrMitthrawnuruodo Force Ghost star 6

Jul 1, 2000
    ? I will finish Survivor before Christmas!
    ? I will try to control the plot bunnies before they begin breeding out of control again.
    ? I will pick up That Road Not Taken, Officer's Devotion, and Imperial Walker Down and flesh out the plots to these three fan fics.
    ? I will replot the James Bond/Star Wars crossover I had tried to start a year ago.

16. anakin_girl

anakin_girl Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 8, 2000
    1. I will write more and write a greater variety.

2. I will spend more time on the fan fiction forum than I do on other forums.

3. I will participate in all the challenges.

17. Ornen

Ornen Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 22, 2003
    I'll write to at least Chapter 15 (or when its finished) on my current story.

18. red rose knight

red rose knight Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 3, 2001
    Oooh, good idea!

1) I will finish everything I have started (Tale of a Jedi, Wild Knights, Reminiscence, and Katas in the Desert) and not start anything new until I am finished.

2) I will read and reply to more stories and keep caught up with them

3) I will participate more on the fan fiction boards (posting, contests and whatnot)

4) I will spend more time on my original works

That doesn?t look too difficult?

19. KrystalBlaze

KrystalBlaze Jedi Master star 5

Aug 3, 2002
    Cool.

1. I will attempt to finish every single fic I have started- Unable to Catch a Dream, Ready to Crash, Breathe, For So Much More, The Longest Mile, The Hardest Part is Letting Go and Decadence.

2. I will also attempt to finish my other fics in other genres I have written.

3. I will write more vignettes and short stories with an actual meaning and not count on my beta reader to connect the points.

4. I will review more stories and try not to lurk.

5. I will try to read outside my norm, even if I am turned off at first by the characters.

6. When I start reading a story, I WILL finish it.

Edit: I spelled my own title wrong. Shoot me.

20. JediNemesis

JediNemesis Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 27, 2003
    Good idea :)

1. I will finish Shadow on the Stars
    2. I will try and finish that pesky plot bunny that's been haunting me since July
    3. I will not disappear for weeks on end
    4. I shall cease to lurk
    5. I shall try and read outside the Saga forum
    6. I will write a sentence or so for every plot bunny I have, NOT think 'that's stupid', forget it and spend 3 hours later on trying to remember the damn thing :mad:

So, here goes [face_plain]

Nem :D

21. obi_ew

obi_ew Jedi Master star 5

Apr 14, 2002
    1) I will work hard to improve my writing, especially learning to be more descriptive.

2) I will become more diverse in my reading habits.

3) I will work harder to keep my Obi-Wan challenge thread flowing.

4) I will write a story that does not include Xanatos! :p

22. NarundiJedi

NarundiJedi Jedi Master star 6

Oct 8, 2001
    Here goes nothing:

1. I will finish yet another big, long story, bringing my grand total up to seven stories out of nine that I've completely finished. (The last one is a collection of vignettes that COULD be updated ;) )

2. I will update that little collection of vignettes after I move it to the Beyond the Saga forum.

3. I will start another story with either a thriller or medical thriller theme, and I will try to bend the norms of Star Wars fanfic.

4. I will write a few vignettes or short stories from out of my normal writing habit. A Luke/Mara vignette or an Ulic Qel-Droma story is not out of the question.

5. I will take a look at my old stories that I gave up on and see if they can be salvaged.

And lastly:

6. I will try to be a better reader and give more frequent feedback. When I don't have time for feedback, I will leave the author a note to let them know I'm thinking of them. :) However, it's sometimes not possible to read so many things at once, as I have found out. [face_blush] But I will try, because I love to read too.

Jae Angel

23. Mistress_Renata

Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 9, 2000
    1. I will participate in at least one challenge or contest (in a capacity other than judge).

2. I will submit an entry to the Review Challenge thread.

3. And actually, I want to spend a bit more time on some original fiction ideas I've had. So I will probably try to do less fanfic. Unless they fall into category #1, above.

And of course, Jane, I WILL get off my lazy derriere and get back to work on Invisible Enemy! :)

Oh, and I WILL finish at least three projects (writing, art or costuming) that I've started before beginning any more.

24. padawan lunetta

padawan lunetta Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 15, 1999
    1. I WILL write on Why Love was Forbidden in the Old Jedi Order so that Mely and I can *finally* finish it.

2. I will then start it's sequel. ;)

3. I will spend more time on my original work so that as my sister so nicely puts it, I can stop wasting my talent.

4. Lurk Less

5. Give more detailed feedback, I've been trying.

6. Do the Review Challenge more than once a month...

25. Dantana Skywalker

Dantana Skywalker Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 7, 2002
    Okay . . . I will:

1. Finish "Aftershock".

2. Finish my novel

3. Keep better track of the stories I'm reading and not pick them up nine months later and go, "Oh, hey, I remember this!"

4. Post more often than once every three months.

Dana

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.