main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Youthful Mistakes

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by KnightMara, Aug 5, 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KnightMara

KnightMara Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 13, 1999
    Okay, I'm nearing the end of Part 2 now. So here's another post begging for feedback.

"Now tell me, sir, what is your full name?"

"Luke Skywalker." Luke was sitting up in bed feeling bored and hungry, but he knew that the medical droid?whom he?d discovered was a 2-1B model?needed to ask these questions to see how serious his memory loss was. It was an annoying drill.

"Your age?"

"Thirteen standard years, but I?ll be fourteen in two months."

"The names of your parents?"

Luke was quiet.

"Do you remember the names of your parents?"

Luke shook his head and explained, "I?m an orphan. I live with my aunt and uncle, Owen and Beru Lars."

"Ah, I see," the droid responded.

Luke frowned. The droid was acting like this was new information. All of this stuff was already on his charts. He didn?t see the need for the droid to start play-acting when it was Luke?s memory that was being tested.

"Favorite moment in the past year?"

Luke smiled. This was a different type of question. "I helped Uncle Owen get his landspeeder running again. His hands were too big to get inside the repulsor system, so I did it instead."

"How long ago was this?"

Luke thought a moment. "A few months, I guess." Dryly he added, "Give or take ten days."

The 2-1B ignored his sarcasm. "What was your first day of school like?"

"Terrible. I got picked on by a bully who later became sort of a friend of mine. But I got him back. And the teacher was awful."

Uncle Owen took a step toward Luke from the corner of the room. He?d been silently watching over every test they?d run on the boy. "I thought your first day of school was great. Isn?t that what you told me?"

Luke shrugged. "I lied because you told me never to complain about stuff."

Owen found himself smiling in spite of himself, and indicated to the medical droid that he could continue.

The droid studied the interaction between the two before continuing. "But you do remember everything about that day?"

"Definitely."

"And what about the accident that caused your injuries?"

Luke shook his head. "Still nothing."

"What is the last thing you remember before the accident?"

Back to the questions that bothered him. Without the aid of a calendar or a set of days he could use as a marker, Luke found this task rather hard. Images and words still came to him in brief flashes, but they were unconnected to anything else and only served to confuse him more. Biggs had already told everyone what had actually happened. But to Luke, it was like hearing a story about someone else. As far as he could recall, nothing Biggs said had happened to him. He merely bore the scars of the events in the story.

"It?s hard to say," he finally responded. "I still don?t remember Biggs? birthday. And I don?t remember anything about the speederbike. Actually, it?s a lot easier to tell you what I don?t remember. Why don?t you ask me questions like that?"

"Luke, don?t be difficult."

Luke turned his head in reaction to his uncle?s comment and threw a sharp glare at him. "I?m not trying to be difficult! This is just very frustrating and pointless!" He looked back at the droid. "I can?t tell you my last memory because it?s all jumbled up with stuff from after I hit my head, so it?s hard to get it all straight. And there?s a lot of stuff that happened before that, so it?s hard to sort out which one is the most recent! Okay?" He let out an angry breath. He was too frustrated to control his annoyance. "Look, I just don?t want to do this anymore!"

Before Owen could react to Luke?s brief tirade, the 2-1B interjected. "Sir, I think I?ve obtained enough information within the past few days to assemble a diagnosis and prognosis. I?ll return after I?ve processed everything." With that the droid turned and left the room, leaving a frustrated boy and an irritated man behind.

A thick silence descended upon the room. Owen stared at his nephew in obvious disapproval, and Luke glared back at his uncle in just as

2. Lara_Notsil

Lara_Notsil Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 30, 2000
    I'm crying as I write this. That was Incredible!

I liked seeing Luke and Uncle Owen so vulnerable.

Post more soon!

3. Alli-Wan

Alli-Wan Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 21, 1999
    Beautiful work. Emotions captured well, particularly the mounting frustration on both sides. Looking forward to more. --AWK

4. RebelMom

RebelMom Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 20, 2000
    Where's my tissue? That was beautiful. I need a hug.

KnightMara, you are a wonderful writer. You have made Owen human. And the interaction between the two was well crafted.

Next post please.

5. KnightMara

Apr 13, 1999
    Wow, I'm at a loss, guys. I had no idea that last part would be so well recieved.

Okay, this is the end of Part 2, but there is still a Part 3.

"I?m actually gonna? miss you, 2-1B," Luke admitted with a slight smile. He sat on the edge of the bed, fully dressed in his own clothes for the first time since he?d been admitted, regarding the droid fondly. "No one else has ever called me ?sir.? It?s been kinda? neat to hear on a daily basis."

"It?s part of my programming, sir," the droid replied simply.

"Yeah, well," Luke shrugged, sliding off the bed to stand on his own two legs again, "I still liked it."

He wriggled his toes inside the brand new boots his aunt had brought him this morning. He?d definitely need to break them in. And now that he was finally going home and getting back to his normal life, he?d certainly have the chance. He took a few steps around the room to get used to them, and to simply walk around some more. He?d walked around some yesterday, but his legs still felt a little wobbly. Pausing at the mirror the staff had placed in the corner this morning, he examined his reflection. He still wore the hard bandage on his head, but the rings under his eyes had faded to a faint blue that would probably become less visible as soon as he stepped out into the sun. He?d have to get a hat soon, though. Aunt Beru had informed him, with no small amusement, that they?d had to shave the back of his head. That was bound to be a hit with the Anchorhead gang. For now, the bandage covered it. But that would be coming off in less than a week, and he?d need something else to hide his "haircut" under.

"You have a visitor, sir," the 2-1B?s voice spoke from behind him.

Luke spun away from his reflection to see Biggs standing sheepishly in the doorway.

"Biggs!" he exclaimed as he crossed the room to greet his friend. "So you?ve finally come to visit me now that I?m leaving," he laughed.

Biggs shifted uneasily. "Well, I?ve been sort of . . .well, I guess you could say . . .sort of . . .grounded." The last word was a barely uttered whisper.

Luke, however, caught it easily. "You? Grounded?" His eyebrows raised in disbelief.

Biggs grimaced and slowly nodded.

Howling with laughter, Luke teased, "And here I thought you were immune!"

With a shrug, Biggs explained, "Yeah, well my dad wasn?t too pleased with what happened to you. And seeing as it was my fault anyway, I accepted it fair enough." He sighed. "Figured I owed it to you."

"Owed it to me?" Luke was clearly confused.

Biggs stared at his feet, unable to meet his younger friend?s gaze. "Luke, I nearly got you killed back there. And if that wasn?t enough, I didn?t listen to my gut instinct and get help. Instead, I let myself be talked out of it by a guy with a skull fracture."

"You didn?t know," the other suggested, trying to brush it off.

"Yeah, but I should have. You fell pretty hard. And you were out for a few minutes." He paused. "And then when I heard . . . it was pretty touch and go for a while there, Luke. I was really scared that you weren?t . . .that you wouldn?t . . . you know."

Luke shook his head. "But I?m fine now."

"Yeah, but I?m the one who?s supposed to be looking out for you."

"Says who?"

Biggs drew himself up and finally looked Luke in the eyes. "Luke, I?m older than you, I?m bigger than you, and I have more experience than you."

"Yeah, but you?ve never experienced falling off a speederbike, now have you?" Luke countered with a grin.

His retort had its desired effect, as Biggs? lips twitched and he seemed to relax. "You?ve got a point there."

Glad to see his friend more at ease, Luke smiled and moved to a chair. "Mind if I sit down?"

"Nope," Biggs answered and crossed to sit beside Luke. He pointed to the bandage. "Nice headwear, by the way. Meant to compliment you on it earlier."

"Ha ha," Luke responded. "Unfortunately, I?m stuck in it for a few more days. And it?s starting to seem like I?m stuck in here, too." He ges

6. Wedge 88

Wedge 88 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 16, 1999
    I'm at a loss for words.

Ummm.... UP!....err....MORE!....hmmm.... Good Job!

7. Vergere

Vergere Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 19, 2000
    wow the next to the last part had me in tears!! how sweet!

this last part was good too, with Obi-Wan watching over Luke as sort of a guardian angel.

WHERE'S PART 3???

8. Leia Walker

Leia Walker Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 10, 2000
    I always knew Obi Wan was a angel.lol. but really this story is great.

9. Tenel'Ka

Tenel'Ka Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 5, 2000
    Obi-Wan strikes again! Well I guess 'appears' is more like it. That was cool! Continue on please!

10. Lara_Notsil

Lara_Notsil Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 30, 2000
    Can't wait for the next installment!

This is one of the best stories I've read! Great Job!

11. RebelMom

Apr 20, 2000
  12. Wedge 88

Jul 16, 1999
    Hope you don't have writters block... I want to see how this ends!

Ohh, and UP!!

13. Wedge 88

Jul 16, 1999
    Up!

Page 5! :(

14. Tenel'Ka

Tenel'Ka Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 5, 2000
    how about a post soon? please?!?

15. maramijade

maramijade Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 17, 2000
    Just a little thing, (great post by the way) No hospital lets the patient walk out, they wheel them to the door to the awaiting car. I should know My mom's had enough sugeries and I just had my apendix out and was ommitted this morning (you don't know how close that last post struck home)

16. Wedge 88

Jul 16, 1999
    Heh. Maybe its different in Star Wars. When Luke was treated on Hoth (even though it wasn't a hospital...) he didn't have a wheelchair or anyother kind of transport. In fact he flew in combat not long after he was healed.

I know you will say thats becasue it wasn't a hospital... but it was an medical station. He has a room with a bed and 2-1B looked over him in it..

And later on when he got his new hand he was on the medical frigate, which is the same as a hospital I guess, and he didn't have a chair then either when he went to look out at the Falcon leaving with Leia and the droids. Ofcorse that may have been in his room because he could see Leia from the bed he was on... but when it shows the outside of the ship it shows they are looking out of a large window. Not a normal hospital room window.

Maybe it was a hall or a concorse.

So, my point, maybe they don't have wheelchairs on Star Wars.

Whatever the case.... does it really matter? :D

Anyway, post more KnightMara, we all love it!

17. Wedge 88

Jul 16, 1999
    AHHH. Its like reading half of a Star Wars book and not being able to finish it!!!

Mesa wants moresa!

18. KnightMara

Apr 13, 1999
    Sorry about the disappearing act, guys. My parents just closed on their house and I had to help them move all their stuff from Miami to Orlando (being the dutiful and helpful daughter than I am). I just got back, so expect a post tomorrow sometime (I'm beat!).

Oh, and having been a hospital patient on numerous occasions myself, I am very familiar with standard procedures. I decided to depart from them specifically because I don't know if the same insurance procedures that force hospitals to wheel their patients to the front doors would be in place in the GFFA, and because I wanted to capture a moment that wouldn't have worked otherwise. Yes, I know it may not be strictly kosher, and I'm impressed with your observance. We all stray from time to time, however. :) And since I could, I did. :)

Anyway, I'll post in the a.m. I just want to catch up on all the stories I've missed in the past three days.

Sorry to have kept you all waiting.

19. Vergere

Jul 19, 2000
    well, they would be "hover" chairs instead of wheel chairs... :)

MOREMOREMORE!

20. maramijade

maramijade Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 17, 2000
    thank you, I'm glad you think I'm observant. . . .

some people don't. . . oh oh

21. KnightMara

Apr 13, 1999
    Okay, as promised, here is the next installment. This part is dedicated to the late Brian Daley and Sir Alec Guinness. "Why?" you may ask. Well, to Brian Daley because he concieved this scenario in the ANH radio drama and I've merely developed it; and to Sir Alec Guinness because. . .do I really have to explain that one?
    Anyway, here goes:

A year later, with memories of his trip to the hospital fading into the back of his mind, Luke was ready to start testing his limits once more. It was easy for a teenager to get bored on a desert planet, and Luke was certainly no exception. With the harvest over, and endless months of monotony ahead, the boy was growing exceedingly restless. In addition, his bond with his Uncle Owen had begun to fray at the edges again as Luke consistently tried to assert his independence and Owen pulled tightly on the reins. It was only a matter of time before the two of them were at it again, and Luke was trying desperately to avoid the inevitable blow up at all costs.

At this moment, it meant getting out of the house. He didn?t care where he went or what he did, so long as he was not around to somehow walk into trouble, as he seemed wont to do lately. He?d already been yelled at twice this week, and it had taken all of his reserve not mouth off in return. Even though he knew now, without a doubt, that his uncle loved him dearly, it didn?t make living with the man any easier. Owen was still gruff, still stubborn, and still apt to push Luke?s buttons. Luke had quickly learned that the best way to avoid this was to avoid him.

He slipped into the kitchen where Aunt Beru was putting away the breakfast dishes.

"I?m going over to Windy?s," he told her.

She spun on him with an incredulous look. "And just how are you supposed to get there?"

Startled by the quickness of her response, he stammered, "I?ll walk?"

Clearly, she?d been expecting him to come in here and say something like this, for she replied rather quickly, "You are not walking across the desert to get to Windy?s by yourself."

"But, Aunt Beru?" he pleaded.

She shook her head resolutely.

"But Biggs is visiting family somewhere, Tank broke his leg last week, and Deak seems to be permanently grounded!" Luke complained. "And I?m bored out of my mind!"

"Whining won?t get you anywhere," she stated firmly. She watched as Luke?s gaze lowered in disappointment and embarrassment, and she smiled. She?d gotten him. "So, you?ll just have to suck it up and catch a ride with your old aunt."

Luke looked up to meet her amused gaze and the corners of his lips twitched. "You prepared for that one, didn?t you?"

She responded with a playful pat on the head. "What good is having a teenaged nephew if you can?t tease him every once in a while?"

Luke merely rolled is eyes.

Beru laughed. "Just give me a minute to get finished here, and then I?ll take you over there."

He quickly kissed her cheek. "Thanks, Aunt Beru." He then dashed to his room to gather a few things.

She watched him go, a sympathetic smile tugging on her lips. This was no place for a boy to grow up, she mused. But it was the only safe place for him in the galaxy. Quickly putting away the rest of the dishes, she took off her apron and headed for the garage. She called loudly, "Come on, Luke."

"Coming!"

In a few minutes, they were cruising across the desert toward Windy?s farm. Like the Lars, Windy?s family were moisture farmers, so they had a lot in common in that respect. Beru also regarded Windy?s mother as a dear friend, and the two boys would often laugh at the women?s desperate need for each other?s company when their husbands were away. They?d exchange recipes, complain about their respective husbands? behavior, and exchange stories about their teenage boys. Usually, they?d end up giggling like a pair of schoolgirls, which almost always drove the two boys out of the house in search of escape.

Unfortunately for them, the boys were not as close as the two women were. Luke saw Wind

22. RebelMom

Apr 20, 2000
    Hope Owen and Beru have paid up their medical insurance premiums. This ought to be interesting. Bring on the next post.

23. KnightMara

Apr 13, 1999
    LOL You crack me up, RebelMom!

What I want to know is, do they have a premium plan or the GFFA HMO? Since they're on Tatooine, I'd guess it's probably the latter. And how much was Luke charged during the rebellion for all those bacta dips? Was that covered under his military insurance? What happened when he resigned his commission? Was he still covered? Or did Leia foot the bill as Chief of State? Hmmmmmm.. . . . . .

Sorry, I've gone off on a tangent again.

24. Vergere

Jul 19, 2000
    hehehe...another one of those :youthful mistakes" comming up??? MORE!

BTW--there was a thread back awhile about how much Luke's spaceship insurence was...

25. Wedge 88

Jul 16, 1999
    Hehe, the study of Jedi Crashology. The Jedi being Luke. That was a funny thread, and the threads to follow about it. Ahh well, good post, glad you got something to move this story along again.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.