main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT You've Taken Your First Step Into a Darker World: An AOTC Analysis

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Deliveranze, Jul 24, 2020.

1. Deliveranze

Deliveranze Force Ghost star 6

Nov 28, 2015
    AOTC's relationship with the overall SW fandom is far from smooth. It is a far cry from the heroes vs villains, good vs evil, space adventure motifs and themes found in the films before and after. However, as The Last Jedi has gained somewhat of a reputation for "flipping everything we know about Star Wars upside down" and "finally adding mature themes to SW," I decided to look back at the complexity found in this film that people tend to look past or look as a flaw of this prequel film.

First, let us look on the surface. AOTC introduces us to what has become the most complex conflict in SW we have seen on the big screen: The Clone Wars. We are introduced to a crisis that is about disenfranchisement, corruption, and separatism. This isn't your dad's Star Wars. This is post-9/11 Star Wars, hammered home by the opening scene tilting upward after the opening crawl and ending with a terrorist attack in a metropolis. We learn from Padme later that the Separatists are afraid the Republic will attack, which means they will turn to the corporations for military supplies.

This adds another dimension to the conflict that carries over from TPM: the evils of capitalism when there is no system in place to regulate monopoly control and corporate influence in government.

Now, look at our protagonists: Anakin, Obi-Wan, and Padme. All 3 heroes are unwittingly pawns of a broken, corrupt system. Some question the system like Obi-Wan who warns Anakin of Palpatine preying on the senators' prejudices and Padme who is worried about the Military Creation Act, which she fears will plunge the galaxy into a needless civil war. Anakin, on the other hand, believes that an authoritarian government is needed to get things done. Not only does this beautifully set up the ideological differences of the characters, but it all comes back in ROTS. Obi-Wan and Padme are both worried about Palpatine's influence and the state of the Republic while Anakin believes Palpatine having more power will "mean less deliberating and more action" and anyone who believes the Republic is the issue is "sounding like a Separatist." This ironically coincides with the Republic instigating the war by attacking Geonosis. The invasion that causes an understandable difference in government becomes an unnecessary prolonged war to create more panic and paranoia so people will accept a dictatorship.

Is George Lucas criticizing American imperialism with the Battle of Geonosis? Did Lucas use the final battle to show America/the Republic's ignorance in believing they can end wars before they start by attacking countries/systems? Given Lucas's criticism of Vietnam, perhaps, but one thing that is frighteningly unintentional was how much AOTC would parallel the War on Terror. A desert planet (Afghanistan) invaded by the Republic (America) to capture the rebel leader from spreading his influence to other systems only for a prolonged needless war to occur.

Even the idea of proxy armies, a cloned army and droids, are shown to parallel Vietnam with Russia and the US using proxy wars to fight their ideological differences. The clones and droids highlight the beauty and tragedy of the Clone Wars. It doesn't matter. It doesn't matter which droid dies or which clone dies, because there will always be another unit to take their place. It doesn't matter until Palpatine wants it to matter. This disturbing look at how powerful men can manipulate wars to their own agenda is not far from the world we live in.

Even class and xenophobia take root in this film as seen on Coruscant, Tatooine, and Geonosis. Tatooine and Geonosis are obvious. Geonosis is full of insect bug-like separatist workers. The conflict on Tatooine between human settlers and Tusken Raiders is touched upon by Cliegg Lars referring to the Tuskens as "vicious, mindless monsters." However, Lucas lets the audience know that Anakin's rage is not warranted by having him mention the death of Tusken women and children and Anakin's guilt. On the other hand, it shows Anakin's naivety. Anakin doesn't care about the why or what. ROTS shows he doesn't care about the separatists's reasons for leaving the Republic. He doesn't understand the big deal about the Republic possibly falling into a dictatorship. He doesn't care about why the Tuskens retaliated against the settlers. Essentially, the only thing that is certain is that Anakin will burn worlds if you step between him and people he cares about.

While maybe not intentional, the rundown streets of the Coruscant nightclub lets the audience know this is the seedy part of the city. The nightclub members seem to be made of humans and humanoid aliens in contrast with Dex's Diner which contains more exotic aliens. AOTC's 1950s retro-aesthetic would give way to show segregation between humans and less human-looking aliens. However, Anakin and Obi-Wan, as Jedi part of the corrupt Republic, are portrayed as Republic/Imperial gunslingers entering the bar to hunt down their target. The crowd gets silent, witnessing a Jedi slice off a human woman's arm. The music is sinister for a victorious moment against the assassin. Anakin's Darth Vader-esque delivery of "Jedi business. Go back to your drinks" only adds to the somber mood. However, once it is revealed Zam isn't quite as human as they thought, the idea of Jedi removing non-human passing aliens from humancentric nightclubs becomes quite dark. Are Anakin and Obi-Wan's roles as Jedi become morally corrupted by the Republic's decline and Palpatine's xenophobic influence?

Lucas managed to create a very complex PG film that constantly asks you to ask questions, to guess why, and to look for pinpoints in the Republic's increasingly noticeable decline. By the end of the film, you should feel like Bail Organa pounding his fist on the balcony as Republic stormtroopers march to their ships. Did Lucas intend for viewers to analyze the film like this? Maybe. Maybe not. But it is a testament to Lucas's strong worldbuilding and characters that has you able to interpret his hexology.

Look at this post as a love letter to a film that has me enthralled in the character study of a failing democracy and characters that are good people at heart but are failing to see the issues around them until it's too late.

2. Dark Ferus

Dark Ferus Chosen One star 8

Jul 29, 2016
    Very good and compelling analysis @Deliveranze

While Lucas specifically has stated that he was influenced by the Vietnam War, he also said that the Iraq conflict contemporary to the creation of the PT parallels the earlier war. Between this and the Vietnam allusions in ROTJ with the Ewoks, it definitely seems like Lucas is an opponent of US imperialism.

I don’t think the Jedi are meant to be xenophobic, but they are not favored by the underworld’s communities. It could however reflect the way Chancellor Palpatine tricks the Jedi into militarizing despite their anti-war principles.

3. Chancellor Yoda

Chancellor Yoda Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 25, 2014
    Late reply but I love this post.

You described why, IMO, Star Wars is truly a magical series. The movies are usually kid friendly enough and have the fun action scenes and lightsaber battles for all ages to enjoy. But the films also always had darker moments and undertones that adults can pick up on, without it going to far away from it's escapism roots. Another PT related example would be Palpatines manipulation of the Senate and Padme to the get in to the chancellor's office. Something I either didn't notice or just didn't even care about as a kid.

4. AEHoward33

AEHoward33 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 11, 2019
    I think even if Palpatine had not been chancellor, the Jedi would have opposed the Separatists. The Order had forged its ties with the Senate a long time ago and would have followed the latter's lead. It was only their fear that someone within the Chancellor's circle might be a Sith Lord or have connections to a Sith Lord that led the Council to consider taking over the Senate.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2020
    devilinthedetails likes this.
  5. Deliveranze

Deliveranze Force Ghost star 6

Nov 28, 2015
    Indeed. I think TPM sets up the Separatist Crisis well. Like Padme, the audience is optimistic about the Senate helping Naboo, only to see how completely useless the Senate is as a whole. And when we see the Trade Federation, a corporate conglomerate, have their own seat, it highlights the true nature of Republic politics.

The irony is, you would think Padme and Naboo would secede from the Republic following TPM, but that is a testament to Padme. Optimistic or realistic, she doesn't see secession as fixing what is broken.

And as Queen Jamillia says, "We must keep our faith in the Republic. The day we believe democracy doesn't work is the day we lose it."

Last edited: Jul 29, 2020
  6. Talos of Atmora

Talos of Atmora Force Ghost star 5

Jul 3, 2016
    As much as the romance between Padmé and Anakin is regularly maligned, a lot of the imagery used in conveying it is honestly rather striking. Usually matching a hopeful and yet ultimately tragic tone, even this early on. It's fitting that one of the primary pieces of focus during their wedding is her taking hold of Anakin's prosthetic hand. It sort of feels like a visual metaphor for her choosing to take him on with all of his flaws and considering how their relationship would go on, it's definitely emotional storytelling.

7. Sith Lord 2015

Sith Lord 2015 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 30, 2015
    It's always good to read something positive about the supposedly "atrocious" or "cringy" romance in AOTC. I know I have written uncountable posts defending it. But it seems the majority of the users here are intent on bashing it. To be honest, I like every aspect of that romance, and I even dislike typical romance movies generally. What makes this one special is that we all know it will end in tragedy. So I feel with all what Anakin has been through he deserves those very few hours of happiness (his last moments of uncaring happiness if you really think about it). And I will say it once more, the "notorious" fireplace sequence is NOT supposed to reflect the average American teenager. It's more like something Shakespeare would have written. It's supposed to sound "corny" or whatever the correct English word may be. Too bad many people just don't get that.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2020
  8. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    @Deliveranze Sorry for being a bit late to the thread, but thank you for your gem of a post praising and examining the merits of AOTC. To me, AOTC is the most underrated and under appreciated Star Wars film, so it always makes me happy to see someone delve deeply into all the things that it does right.

I agree with you that it has a dark tone especially compared to TPM, which has an air of innocence and almost childhood whimsy to it despite some of the darker elements included, while AOTC is clearly building toward the tragedy of ROTS.

Your description of AOTC as post-9/11 Star Wars really resonates with me because I think that is a big reason why the PT spoke to many millennials: it addressed and commented on what we saw occurring in the War on Terror in the real world in an engaging space fantasy format. The OT spoke to a generation raised in the milieu of a Cold War (fighting an evil Empire as it were) while the PT addressed a generation that saw the Twin Towers fall and grew up in the shadow of that defining event.

To expand on that point a bit, I will also note that I regard the OT as largely repeating classic American mythology of how Americans like to view themselves as the underdogs that confront and ultimately defeat tyranny. The Rebels versus the evil Empire is a beloved American plot line because Americans tend to like to cast ourselves in the role of the plucky underdogs fighting for freedom just as American Patriots fought for independence against the imperial might and majesty of the British Empire. Americans pride ourselves on being the underdogs championing freedom against staggering odds, and the OT at heart is the story of underdogs attaining victory over an oppressive empire. It's easy for Americans to see themselves in Luke, Han, Leia, and the Rebels as a whole, and so to cheer them on to victory.

In contrast, I think the PT is designed to sort of poke holes at how we as Americans see ourselves and our role in the world. The Republic is in a golden age of democracy and prosperity yet the chinks in the government and in society that lead to the downfall of this golden age are all too apparent. There is the political corruption and deadlock in the Senate. There is the domination by corporate interests. There is the swelling military-industrial complex that swallows the hope of peace. The PT, then, is more of a mirror on America as it really is rather than an articulation of the myth of how Americans like to perceive ourselves. That is part of the reason why I think the PT received so much criticism, because it pointed out some of the flaws in contemporary American government and society. However, for those of us who like the PT, I think element of political and social commentary is a large reason why it resonates with us and has staying power and relevance as a story.

I also believe that AOTC does a very effective job setting up the flaws and the circumstances that will lead to Anakin's tragic downfall. We see how he is haunted by prophetic dreams of his mother's death. We watch how those nightmares play out with Shmi dying after being kidnapped and tortured by the Tusken Raiders. We are horrified that Anakin slaughters all the Tusken Raiders, including the women (implied to be non-combatants rather than warriors in Tusken society) and children, which foreshadows Anakin's march on the Temple and slaughter of the younglings in ROTS. Like Padme, we can perhaps understand and sympathize with why Anakin has committed this brutal crime, this vengeance and vigilante justice, at the same time that we recoil from it. We see just how destructive Anakin's hatred and rage can be. We see just how much Anakin fears losing those he loves and how he cannot come to terms with the death of a loved one. This is all the important legwork that helps Anakin's fall in ROTS seem moving and meaningful rather than rushed to me. I feel that AOTC accomplishes so much for Anakin's character journey that it is really essential in terms of holding the PT together as a coherent trilogy and bridging the gap between the innocence of TPM and the tragedy of ROTS.

I really like AOTC as a film, and I think it feels very connected to ROTS and that ROTS couldn't be as strong or as brilliant a film as it is without in a very real sense standing on AOTC's shoulders. I feel like I appreciate more about AOTC every time that I see it, and that I've changed my perspective on AOTC as I've matured. To me, that's one of the highest compliments I could give a movie: that I can see fresh things in it ever time I watch it, and that my interpretation of it can evolve so much over time. It is a film that allows that sort of evolving perspective to exist.

Perhaps this is my own love letter to AOTC in response to yours. If so, I have to say that I love the beautiful lake country of Naboo and would totally want to go on vacation there.

9. oierem

oierem Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 18, 2009
    Both the original post of this thread and your reply are spot on. Can't really add much to your great analysis.

Even though the PT shows us the failures of the galaxy (and, by extension, our world), the fact that it's FOLLOWED by the optimistic OT makes SW a happy-ending fairy tale.
    However, reading your post made me think about how the story would work if the PT happened after the OT, storywise (that is, after the Rebels have defeated the Empire and established a democracy, the corruption and manipulation leads to its fall). It would be a really interesting (and more pesimistic) take on the same story, and without a doubt, what many fans expected from the ST.

Anyway, as you say, considering how far away TPM and ROTS are from one another, AOTC had a hell of a job to accomplish - and it turned out to be a really crazy awesome film.

10. Sith Lord 2015

Oct 30, 2015
    Totally agree! I don't really have anything to add, as those last couple of posts are extremely well-written. In any case I'm glad to see that the apparently most-hated movie in the entire saga is finally getting some well-deserved appreciation!

11. Aah Fisto

Aah Fisto Jedi Knight star 2

May 30, 2020
    Yeah there’s some really brilliant posts in here, the OP with an absolute gem of an analysis.

@devilinthedetails i completely agree with you that as I’ve matured, AOTC just keeps moving further and further up my rankings of Star Wars films. Even 4/5 years ago I wasn’t a huge fan and as much as I liked it, i wouldn’t feel the need to rewind it if I fell asleep for example. Whereas now I love the feel and aura around the film, the sense of impending dread it foreshadows for ROTS while still bridging the gap to TPM. I think it will forever be an incredibly underrated film unfortunately, but it’s good to see how myself and others have come to appreciate the film for what it is and how effective it was as the middle episode of the trilogy

12. KyleKartan

KyleKartan Force Ghost star 4

Feb 4, 2004
    I'd say that the most hated film of the saga is TLJ by far. That movie had so much mud thrown at itself as ist actors and creators its shamefull for the whole fandom.

I cant add much to the thread itself but agree wholeheartedly. I feel like Ep II was my last step into becoming a die hard SW fan. I LOVE LOVE LOVE that film for all its themes, its plot, its Locations, its designs and so on and so forth. Its a very mature very dark movie and the mystery Music which is played through the movie again and again represents all this. It gives so much lore and world Building. I really love it.

13. Sith Lord 2015

Oct 30, 2015
    Really? OK, I have to admit that I haven't read much about the ST. I did see TLJ though. While I did have the impression it wasn't that well-liked, I personally didn't find it worse than TFA.
    In any case, glad to see yet another user is with me concerning AOTC! It's in many ways unique to the entire saga, and possibly the "bravest" entry of them all. Besides, without it ROTS would never have had the impact it had. It perfectly builds up to the prequels' climax and ultimate tragedy. And contrary to what many "critics" claim, I find the acting by all the cast to be top-notch. Hayden in particular perfectly portrayed the extremely conflicted and emotionally tormented future Darth Vader.
    Musically it's also quite interesting. As far as I can remember AOTC's end credits music is the only one in the series ending not in some type of epic fanfare we are used to from SW but a very subtle and downplayed version of the "Across the Stars" theme. Played on harp? No idea, I don't know much about music and instruments, but I really like it.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2020
  14. oierem

oierem Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 18, 2009
    TPM's end credits also end quietly, with Anakin's theme transforming into a hint of Vader's theme.
    AOTC actually just uses the album version of the Love Theme (Across the Stars), ending with harp and english horn. However, Williams composed a different (and even better!) version, that it's in the album, with Anakin's theme, the Love theme and Vader's theme all merging from one to another.

15. whostheBossk

whostheBossk Force Ghost star 4

Apr 16, 2002
    The build up to this movie may not have been on par as TPM, but most fans of SW knew this was a big movie. We knew it was going to move away from the happy ending we last left off on. I believe this excited us fans for this impending darker descent we knew we were heading into. I was able to attend Celebration Indy before the movie to help build my anticipation. I saw it at midnight and again a couple more times after. It was always loved despite yes the over done CGI and cheesy dialogue. I made my first real toy run as a working adult buying an armful of 3.75 Jedi and main characters. Good memories of this film.

16. QUIGONMIKE

QUIGONMIKE Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 5, 2009
    Wow. What a great post about the often maligned & severely under-appreciated Attack of the Clones! Everything that has been said Im dittos with here. There is so much in this film to chew on: Analogies to worldy events, a blurred line between good and bad sometimes, Obi Wans distrust of Govt, Padmes political angles and Anakins outright dislike of the whole system is great stuff as has been mentioned. Its one of the longest SW films but doesnt feel that way to me. Its perfectly paced, IMO.

Sure a few nitpicks about dialog and some dated looking CG but who cares? Thats very minor and doesnt take away from this movies epic-ness. Its my 4th favorite SW film behind only ANH, ROTS, and ROTJ.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2021
    Count Yubnub and Deliveranze like this.
  17. FightoftheForgotten

FightoftheForgotten Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 19, 2020
    The Empire was always supposed to be the United States. It's been that way since 1977.

HolyKenobi93 likes this.
  18. Darth Invictus

Darth Invictus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 8, 2016
    One motif of the film I hadn’t realized was there-was the multiple failed rescue attempts. Anakin fails to rescue his mother, and then Anakin and Padme fail to rescue Obi Wan, and then the Jedi strike force fails to rescue all of them, with Yoda finally arriving and successfully rescuing them all and then rescuing Obi Wan and Anakin specifically.

I’m trying to think, is there another SW movie where the protagonists have three failed endeavors on top of one another?

(Obi Wan’s endeavor is somewhat more successful, but not entirely so-as he doesn’t discover who the Sith master really is and the Jedi don’t immediately accept it).