main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Gaming Zelda Fans Come Hither...

Discussion in 'Community' started by alpha_red, May 11, 2004.

1. Reynar_Tedros

Reynar_Tedros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 3, 2006
    Has anyone here played the multiplayer-centric Zelda titles, and if so, are they playable alone and/or necessary games?

2. Saga_Symphony

Saga_Symphony Force Ghost star 4

Oct 30, 2010
    ^I played Four Swords single-player. Maybe not one of the top Zeldas, but I remember liking it.

3. Reynar_Tedros

Jul 3, 2006
    Started Wind Waker tonight. Few hours in, just finished the first dungeon. Love the style in this one, the HD version on the Wii U looks outstanding. Having a great time so far. Hookshot's a little awkward to use.

4. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    You mean the grappling hook? Yeah, it can take some getting used to. You get the actual hookshot later, which is much more user-friendly.

5. Reynar_Tedros

Jul 3, 2006
    Oh nice, just figured that was it for the rest of the game. Trying to aim the grappling hook at the dragon's tail in the first boss battle was a bit of a hassle.

6. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    I think you cede all rights to complain about the grappling hook if you pick the Wii U version, you're sacrificing them on the altar of a better late game. :p

Last edited: Mar 28, 2018
    Reynar_Tedros likes this.
  7. Reynar_Tedros

Jul 3, 2006
    Okay, Wind Waker. Really? This just happened in my game so obviously I don't know if something happens later on to "fix" it, but...

I had a feeling Tetra was Zelda. But... she's a badass pirate who basically saves Link's life. And then not ten minutes later, she gets put in a lame princess outfit and has to hide in some secret chamber while Link goes out and saves the world? WHAT?

Anyway. Time to go get this Master Sword back up to snuff.

darklordoftech likes this.
  8. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Lol, yeah,
    she got hit pretty hard with Useless Princess Syndrome right there. All I'll say is that there's more of her later, and it's pretty good.
    But the temples where you restore the Master Sword's power are some of my favorite segments of the game, so I think you're in for a treat there.

darklordoftech likes this.
  9. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    This is a slight spoiler for another game, a DS game that you probably shouldn't bother with (it was all touchscreen controls, which made it a pain to go through), but that moment is kind of referenced, and it is funny.

In Spirit Tracks, the Zelda there calls it a family tradition for the Princess to wait somewhere while the Link goes off to do something. And she's a descendant of Tetra. Although she's stuck as a ghost for most of the game, and yet ironically she actually plays a big part in solving the puzzles as she can take over some of the guardians in the dungeons.

10. Reynar_Tedros

Jul 3, 2006
    Ran into a weird glitch where I pause the game and I have no cursor. Couldn't switch items, check the map, anything. Anybody else experience this or heard of it? Did a quick Google search didn't see anything like it. Turned the console off and haven't gone back yet, a bit peeved since it happened in the middle of the quest where I was watering the dead korok trees.

11. Reynar_Tedros

Jul 3, 2006
    Hey, Breath of the Wild,
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 7, 2018
  12. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    I give it a What No Minish Cap?/10.

13. Reynar_Tedros

Jul 3, 2006
    Not pictured: 3DS/Wii U eShop games. :p

The2ndQuest likes this.
  14. Reynar_Tedros

Jul 3, 2006
    Finished Wind Waker. Okay, so I get it now, not every Zelda game is good. :p

15. Todd the Jedi

Oct 16, 2008
    Aw. What are your criticisms? I can't imagine it's the sailing or the Triforce quest, since supposedly they vastly improved both of those in the HD version. (I've only played the GC version).

16. Reynar_Tedros

Jul 3, 2006
    This might have something to do with the Wii U pro controller I use, which is of questionable quality, but I didn't think Link controlled all that well. I accidentally leaped off ledges far too many times, and the camera can become atrocious in some close-quarters combat situations and boss battles (looking at you, Molgera). The sailing is fine, the ship combat not so much. For a while there I was in a nice groove, but then it just got old and tedious, even during the apparently improved Tri Force quest. Ganon's Tower and the final boss battle left a sour taste in my mouth to close the game off with, so I'm sure my opinion will improve as that wears off. I just didn't find anything particularly great about The Wind Waker as I did in A Link to the Past and Breath of the Wild. I do love the art style and the story is probably my favorite of the three Zelda games I've played so far, but I was never wowed by anything I saw or did (or heard, I found most of the music to be pretty forgettable, classic tunes aside). The world overall feels pretty empty. Early on when a friend of mine told me to think of each square on the map as a shrine like in BOTW, I got really excited, but a lot of the islands have very little to do on them, to the point where I can't point out a single one where I thought "Wow, that was cool." ALTTP had a lot of those moments for me, and BOTW, well, I could go on for days about that one. Calling Wind Waker not good is probably too harsh, but I definitely don't think it's great.

Is it unfair to compare WW to a couple games that could justifiably be argued as GOAT-tier? Maybe, but I do see a lot of people naming it as their favorite in the franchise. Am I just a tad Zelda-fatigued after completing three of them in the span of less than a year? I don't think so (I'm having to stop myself from starting A Link Between Worlds now), but maybe I would've been more impressed with WW if it was my first in the series. Either way I'll be taking a break from Hyrule for a little while, as there are some other games I'd like to get around to playing in the meantime. But I highly doubt I'll be able to stay away for long.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2018
  17. Todd the Jedi

Oct 16, 2008
    I think those are pretty valid complaints. One thing I think that helps fill in the world is the Nintendo Gallery, which allows you to connect to some of the characters a little better, if not some of the random islands. Otherwise yeah unlike BOTW and even ALTTP to an extent the empty seas are just that- empty.

I think it's a really good idea to take a break. I've had that feeling before with some other franchises, and breaks definitely help.

18. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    So I got a GameStop GC for my birthday in February and finally decided to spend it by buying the BotW DLC (Wii U).

What should I play first? I haven't play BotW in about a year. Should I de-rust with some regular game play before diving into the DLC? I'm thinking of starting with Champion's Ballad. I'd love to hear your non-spoiler thoughts on what I should do first, second, third, etc.

Side note: I have never bought DLC before. Is it always taxable?

19. Reynar_Tedros

Jul 3, 2006
    I tried Champions' Ballad for a bit and didn't much care for the one-hit weapon you get saddled with in the beginning (therefore I wouldn't start out with that before you get back into a groove with the gameplay, as it's fairly difficult compared to most of the base game). Never got around to finishing it before my Switch's memory was wiped, and I never tried the Master Trials.

TiniTinyTony likes this.
  20. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    Yeah, it's probably been a good year since I've played last and it took a little bit to get back in the swing of it. I played for about 1.5 hours last night of Champion's Ballad and I accomplished 3 of the 4 goals on the Plateau. I'm sure they're more to it after the Plateau, but yeah I find myself using other methods than the one hit weapon because you also die in one hit so it doesn't make much sense to get close to your enemy, especially if they have a spear or something. The most embarrassing part was being killed by a Korok Leaf last night.

Also I've been playing a lot of Horizon Zero Dawn, and I'm trying to duck in the weeds in BOTW so the enemies don't see me, but they still do. :p

Last edited: Apr 13, 2018
  21. Reynar_Tedros

Jul 3, 2006
    My friend felt it appropriate to mention after my Switch's memory wipe that the final dungeon in the Champions' Ballad is the best dungeon in Breath of the Wild and the ending to the DLC is amazing. So. I've come to accept that I'm gonna have to replay it at some point.

22. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    I will say that the music in the final dungeon is the best dungeon music. There are some cleaver puzzles in it, but the same can be said about the other dungeons. I did enjoy the bird dungeon if I remember correctly. I think the hardest one was the giant camel and elephant with the neck and trunk mechanism respectively.

I will also agree with your friend and say that the ending was pretty great. I don't want to say anymore and risk spoilers, but you should definitely play it for sure.

23. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Nearing the endgame of ALBW after some playtime on the train last weekend:

[​IMG]

Ended up doing the Ice Ruins last and that was a pretty challenging one. Took a lot of 3D thinking and cheating edges to get through some of that. Now I'm just trying to get any heart containers pieces and Maimais I have missed before I hit the castle. I feel like i might be missing some items too, since there's still slots in my inventory, but I'm going to poke around some more.

But, at this rate, I might actually soon finish the game I bought my original 3DS for! Got distracted by Fire Emblem Awakening for a stretch there...

(and, no, I haven't finished FEA yet, either- I got distracted by ALBW :p)

A lot of SNES games got a lot of mood and atmosphere intro mileage out of (by modern standards) limited tech. I think there's just something particularly special about the 16-bit sound and how it's, for lack of a better term, "muffled". That unintentional effect strikes something magic when it comes to atmosphere and tone.

But it's not just the sound/music- they generally did a lot of concise but effective storytelling in such games (like Super Metroid) with some interesting, yet simple, graphical tricks to create interesting effects. Like how the background to the prologue in ALTTP is just two graphic sheets designed to create an effect when moved diagonally over one another.

Curious- is your controller 3rd party? Or just something wonky with it?

For TWW i think it actually helps to take a break in the middle of the game. I unintentionally did so for a couple years but came back into it at the start of the shard quest so it let my first session part peak with the Tower then my second start off slow and build towards the end.

The seas are definitely more barren to increase the scope, but the sense of sailing to the horizon balances things out, I think.

What stands out to me the most about TWW is how much Link powers up over the course of the game. The Wind Waker item itself provides rather powerful capabilities when you think of it and the toon stylizng allowing for more over the top combat moves combined for an effect that i have always summarized as "a boy becoming a god".

I also can't hate on the game much because exploring one of those random mini caves on an island somewhere in the game had the Triforce logo on the wall and when I stumbled upon it, the feeling i got made me realize that that symbol truly resonated with me and, so, convinced me to pull the trigger on a tattoo of it.

Last edited: May 31, 2018
  24. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    [​IMG]
    All Maiamais found! Peace of mind obtained so now i can finish the main quest.

I'm actually very surprised by how much of the game I hadn't yet discovered even though I've been able to go to Lorule Castle. It wasn't until I was on my second-to-last Maiamai that I found the Tower of Torment. And it wasn't until after I had all the Maiamais that I got both Master Sword upgrades, the reduced price milk, etc. The former of which is particularly weird given how significant the Golden Sword was in ALTTP.

What makes things kinda weirder is that, for the most part, I'm getting all these upgraded items/weapons that I no longer really need since I only have Lorule Castle left. Only the Great Spin Attack you get from Mother Maiamai once you've found all 100 of the babies is really useful (especially in the Tower of Torment... but, then, completing that ultimately gets you... an upgraded bug net?).

I mean, I wasn't aiming to 100% everything (I'm still missing 6 heart pieces, I think), but it seems the late game lets you get pretty close even unintentionally.

Anyways, I'm about halfway through Lorule Castle now. Sometime this week I'll probably finish it off. It will literally be my first retail 3DS game completed- both in the context of being the first title completed in my library for the system and in the context of being the first game I got for/with the system becoming finished, heh.

EDIT- Couldn't wait, heh. Not bad for a 5-year-long playthrough, I suppose... ;)

[​IMG]

Only missing 5 heart pieces in the end.

Interesting ending. I think i might have to make a new file just to refresh my memory on the initial part of the story, as the locations were a bit odd (so we have Hyrule/Light World, Hyrule Sacred Realm/former Dark World, Lorule/new Dark World and Lorule Sacred Realm?) especially in terms of having Hilda sending them back through the Sacred Realm crack when they've all been jumping back and forth between worlds with ease the entire game.

A shame Lorule is kinda still left in ruin, though. Even if the earthquakes have stopped.

Also, Zelda won't let you leave the Sacred Realm without touching the Triforce- I tried, lol.

Lastly, I liked the connection with Ravio. Puts a new twist on Link's rabbit form in ALTTP.

Even though it won't be for several years, I think I'd like to take another shot at this in Hero Mode one day. The game did seem easier than I would have liked and, even though it's a minor point, small added details you can access there like Ravio's journal provide some further incentive.

It's also a bit weird that a couple of items/gear are left until the final dungeon. I feel like there should have been more opportunity to use one of them in particular because I wasn't able to guess one of its characteristics/functionality during the boss battle on my own. Some kind of training opportunity should have been given for that so you'd know how to use it in the final battle.

Speaking of that final battle- probably the best "dead man's volley" in the series so far. Took some practice to figure it out right and the speed and variety was welcome- I wish there was more of it (but it may have been so short simply because my sword strikes were maxed).

Last edited: Jun 18, 2018
  25. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    So, this arrived today:

[​IMG]

Thus completing a Triforce of awesomeness. Behold, Power, Wisdom & Courage:

[​IMG]

But, man, the content in the Encyclopedia is outstanding. I mean, I wouldn't go so far as to say this book was made specifically for me or anything, but...

[​IMG]

I'll be in my bunk.