main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Gaming Zelda Fans Come Hither...

Discussion in 'Community' started by alpha_red, May 11, 2004.

1. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    It's difficult for me to picture a live action LoZ show. I'd definitely want it to look close to LOTR or even GOT production wise. Xena/Conan has too low-budget feel for me as well. Maybe something closer to "Eragon" or "The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe" feel without looking silly or childish.

Live action aside, I don't love the TMNT style in this video, but this is the only thing in recent years that I found myself wanting more.

Last edited: May 22, 2020
  2. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I think too many people default to LOTR when trying to envision a LOZ film or series- it would just get lost and look like so many other clones. You'd need something visually distinct, at a medium-scale. Like the Warcraft movie (but smaller) or the Dark Crystal series. Conan should be the primary influence from a character and storytelling perspective, though- that's basically the gold standard in telling a story through visuals and music (two of the most vital aspects of any Zelda project) with a character who is often alone (and with little dialogue).

3. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    Certainly nowadays a Xena style show wouldn't fly. But for the time, I think that model, definitely in line with Conan and Dark Crystal, would have been ideal for a live action Zelda series. And I say that specifically because of the practical effects that would have to have been used. Especially given that the Zelda series itself was still relegated to early forms of game play. I also think a video game has certain inherent qualities that would necessitate a level of campyness to it, that a series in the style of LOTR would make seem entirely too over dramatic. A good balance of both seriousness and campyness is what would have made for a good video game series. And I'm only referring to the time that Xena, Conan, and Dark Crystal would have been relevant influences and would have been the perfect window for a Zelda series. Nowadays, CGI and all that stuff would make things seem entirely too over the top, especially with how it would have to be adapted to modern audiences.

4. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I would still distinguish between the Xena/Hercules/Jack shows and something like Conan. One is intentionally light and campy w/ a lower TV budget and the other is heavy and mythological (at least the first film, no one really cares about Destroyer) w/ a mid-scale film budget (closer to what a modern day streaming show could afford). And while the latter remains a heavy cinematic influence, I doubt many are trying to emulate the former.

Not sure there's a window where a Zelda series would have been practical until the early 2000's, which would have been after LOTR- and by then you'd have a heavy CGI influence. It wouldn't be until recently that the circling back around to practical effects (or, at least, a blending of both techniques) would be strong enough for something like TDC to once again become a strong enough source of inspiration to affect it.

Something like LOZ would definitely need a combination of influences to be executed properly- and I don't think the campy quipiness of the Hercules/Xena shows would be the right model. LOZ certanly needs to be lighter than LOTR with some humor thrown in, but it would, realistically, probably need more of an anime influence there. Meanwhile, the heavier moments would definitely need that Conan influence (take the Atlantean Sword sequence as a basis for Link first discovering (but not yet being able to pull free) the Master Sword, for instance- a moment of discovery, wonder, sadness, defeat and respect for Link) with the more character and music-focused artistry.

MotivateR5D4 likes this.
  5. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    darklordoftech and MotivateR5D4 like this.
  6. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    In Link’s Awakening, Link dreams about Marin and Tarin, and then OOT introduced Malon and Talon. However, OOT and LA take place generations apart, raising the question of how ALTTP/LA Link could dream about people who lived so long before him. Then Oracle of Seasons, a prequel to Link’s Awakening, revealed that ALTTP/LA Link met incarnations of Malon and Talon, answering that question.

7. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Koholint Island, and it’s inhabitants, are also technically a manifestation inside the dream of the Wind Fish, not Link. Though Link seems to have influenced things (that could be more the doing of the Nightmare).

8. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    Are we really supposed to believe that the Wind Fish met Ganon and Moldorm?

Last edited: Aug 1, 2020
  9. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    I think he just knows Link's memories. But has his own as well, and just dream things, which is how you get a Yoshi doll in there.

10. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I actually wouldn’t be surprised if all of the Mario stuff is actually sourced from Wart’s memories/exposure to the Mario crew, brought over through “Wart” to Koholint, since he also exists in/originated from a dream world.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2020
  11. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    I think it's because the people who worked on Link's Awakening were typically Mario staff and wanted to throw in a few shout-outs. Since Metal Gear Solid conclusively proves that all video game characters are aware, on some level, that they're in a video game, we can conclude that the Wind Fish simply adhered to the developers' wishes.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2020
    The2ndQuest and Ulicus like this.
  12. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    It didn't really raise any questions at the time. Marin was explicitly described as being Zelda's doppelgänger and Tarin was Mario.

And then OoT was just referencing popular elements of Link's Awakening.

13. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
  14. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    Why is it called “Ganon’s Castle” in OOT when he’s still “Ganondorf”?

15. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Hmm- good catch. Could be he was already considering himself to be Ganon at that point, even while still in Gerurdo form.

OOU, the level was probably titled independently of the lore/story being finalized and they just used the more common "Ganon" character name used in the previous 4 games (even if the name was first mentioned in the backstory to ALTTP).

darklordoftech likes this.
  16. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    My thinking was that perhaps at some point during development he was intended to already be in pig form when you arrive at the castle.

Anyway, here’s the (underrated, in my opinion) Inside Ganon’s Castle theme.

17. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    We knew there was a Breath of the Wild sequel in development, but did anyone expect a Hyrule Warriors prequel to BotW too?! And its coming November 20, which is pretty soon actually.

I liked the first Hyrule Warriors well enough, and more BotW is even better. I'm looking forward to seeing more of the Champions.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2020
  18. Corellian_Outrider

Corellian_Outrider Former FanForce Admin star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 9, 2002
    I was not expecting that and so soon!

Does that mean this is considered as part of the main canon?

19. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    I love Hyrule Warriors, so this is definitely a treat. HW already had a great look and great graphics, but it's just insanely awesome that this one will run on the same amazing engine as BOTW.
    Definitely seems so, albeit with some liberties taken on the gigantic amount of enemies.

Nobody145 and Corellian_Outrider like this.
  20. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    Master Vo'Un'Var likes this.
  21. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Well, that's unexpected. And now, not onyl do I need to play BOTW before BOTW2, I need to go back and play most of HYWA1 and, now, HYWA:AOC. Gah!

No mention of a Special Edition yet- just the laddle item bonus for pre-ordering the digital version. Means I can wait another month or so in case something pops up. I already have the FEWA SE, so I guess we'll see...

22. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    Plus, the Nintendo or Zelda Facebook page said they're re-releasing the Champion amiibo so that'll be cool if you haven't gotten them already, but I have a feeling you already own them, Quest.

23. DarkGingerJedi

DarkGingerJedi Chosen One star 6

Nov 21, 2012
    Be kinda nice to get outside Hyrule sometime. I spent about 4 days trying to glide across the chasm/gorge in the northern boundary of BotW. I made it once ... well... I 'physically' got over the gap, but Link just phased through the other side of the cliff until finally falling to his death (inside the ground/polygons) which probably wasn't coded as 'real' in the game since it was technically outside of bounds

But yeah, it would be kind neat to visit other lands never seen before.

The2ndQuest likes this.
  24. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Dammit, had to preorder this. Haven't ever played a Warriors game, but I definitely want to see the story of the calamity.

TiniTinyTony likes this.
  25. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    You can always get out of Hyrule and visit Lorule in "The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds". :D