main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Gaming Zelda Fans Come Hither...

Discussion in 'Community' started by alpha_red, May 11, 2004.

1. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Or the Golden Land/Sacred Realm/Dark World in ALTTP, or Koholint Island in Link's Awakening, or Holodrum & Labrynna in the Oracle games or Termina in Majora's Mask or... ;)

Actually, those are among the few I'm missing. Was too broke around the time the SMO & BOTW ones came out to amiibo hunt much (same reason why I didn't have a Switch, SMO or BOTW to play). I have the Bokoblin, Zelda, Link Archer & Guardian amiibo from the BOTW series but none of the champions.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2020
    TiniTinyTony likes this.
  2. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    All four are available for pre-order at BestBuy.com (searched Zelda amiibo) for $15.99 each.

solojones likes this.
  3. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Hopefully they're still available in 10 days when i get paid next. Stupid Best Buy charging pre-orders up front. Already pre-ordered SM3DAS and the two cat amiibos from them this past week.

[​IMG]

I must say, though, I played so little of HYWA on Wii U (only the first two levels) that I'm tempted to just buy the Definitive Edition on Switch to start from scratch- at least that way I'll have all the characters, etc without having to pay for DLC (and, even then, I believe I'd still be missing out on the 3DS exclusive content that never went back to Wii U). It'd be sacrificing the local co-op mode without the GamePad but I'd still have the Wii U version for that if I ever needed it...

EDIT 2- Hmm...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Corellian_Outrider likes this.
  4. Corellian_Outrider

Corellian_Outrider Former FanForce Admin star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 9, 2002
    More information will be unveiled on the 26th September, I wonder if they’ll showcase what the collector’s editions will entail for other regions...

The2ndQuest likes this.
  5. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity pre-order available on BestBuy
    https://www.bestbuy.com/site/hyrule...-nintendo-switch-lite/6414111.p?skuId=6414111

Out of curiosity, where did they say they'd be revealing more on the 26th?

Last edited: Sep 9, 2020
  6. Corellian_Outrider

Corellian_Outrider Former FanForce Admin star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 9, 2002
    At the end of the trailer

7. Starith

Starith Jedi Master star 3

Apr 5, 2020
    If only I had a Switch...

8. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    I wonder if there’s a song called, “No Deku Scrubs.”

9. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    HW-AoC is available for pre-order on Amazon

10. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    I just got the digital version preordered instead.

11. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I may wait unless we get a LE announced on the 26th. I've realized I'm not going to have time to go through the first HYWA anytime soon, given how much content is in that game (about 40 hours for main+extras, 300-500 hours to 100%) I can't see fitting that in between Squadrons, Mario Sunshine, Mario Galaxy 2, Mario Odyssey (though I may push SMO back to spread out my Mario plays). But, since I still need to play BOTW and I very much wanted to start that by the end of this year, I may modify things slightly and grab HYWA:AOC by the end of the year and play that first before BOTW, just to make it an interesting chronological experience.

12. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    IMHO you should definitely NOT do this. The fun part of playing an amnesiac Link is you're just as in the dark as he is- gradually learning about the events of 100 years prior to the game really increases the emotional connection to the characters involved. YMMV of course, but it's one of those original-prequel works where it's usually better to experience the later events first à la Star Wars.

That and BOTW is just too amazing to keep putting off anyway. :p

Last edited: Sep 11, 2020
  13. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Yeah if you do it this way, there will literally be no story for you to uncover in BotW. It's all about remembering. Play that first, then you can flesh it out with Age of Calamity like everyone else :p

14. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Hmm, interesting. Alright, I'll take that advice and play it safe that way (not like I need a lot of convincing to play BOTW ;) ). I am curious to see how it all plays out in chronological order, ultimately, though- like, if someone was playing through the Zelda series in timeline order (branch by branch, of course). In that scenario, something like OOT spoils a somewhat similar sounding "discover what happened in the past" angle in ALTTP, for instance. Though, the narratives aren't quite as closely linked as BOTW & HYWA:AOC are, so it's not a 1-for-1 comparison.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2020
    Corellian_Outrider likes this.
  15. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    Even though R1 comes before ANH, I'd still recommend watching 4, 5, & 6 before anything that comes before it.

16. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    R1 is an interesting situation though- it simultaneously enhances ANH if you watch it first but also kinda requires you to have seen ANH already to fully enjoy it.

17. Rew

Rew Chosen One star 5

Dec 22, 2008
    The only problem with this is it's never been definitively established where on the timeline (or even which branch) BotW falls into. In fact, some say it transcends the timeline. :p

18. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    However, regardless of where BOTW falls on the timeline, HYWA:AOC would still precede it chronologically in a playthrough.

19. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Yeah but you gotta play BotW first because of the structure of BotW for sure.

TiniTinyTony likes this.
  20. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    That's how I'll tackle it, but once I circle around to AOC I'll be sure to keep in the reverse perspective in mind- they may construct things in AOC to provide impact in BOTW in a different way if you do chronological. Like a Zahn SW novel.

21. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    How does that work with the Switch's memory? Or can you just install direct to a nice fat multi-GB SD card or other?

22. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Yeah, if you get a Switch, you will definitely want a micro-SD for storage.

solojones likes this.
  23. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    I bought a 200gb micro Sd card for my Switch the moment I got it, yes. It would never do on internal memory only. I get most games digitally.

24. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    Thinking ahead to 2021, Zelda will be celebrating its 35 year anniversary. While we wait for BotW2, I wonder if Nintendo will give Zelda the All-Stars treatment. If they do, what games would you hope would be included?

I would want OOT, MM, WW, TP, and SS all on one Switch cartridge. If I had to pick just 3, I'd have to go with OOT to represent the N64, WW as the GameCube representative, and SS as the Wii rep. TP is a great game and I think more beloved than SS so I wouldn't be surprised if that got chosen as one of the three if the game cart could only fit three games. And yes, I know MM has a huge cult following. I'm not part of that cult, so I wouldn't mind if it was left off/not chosen.

Final thought: Do you think we'll see Nintendo release any more GameBoy Zelda games as a Switch remake a la Link's Awakening? I would definitely purchase an Oracle remake and if they could somehow add some content as I know it was originally planned to be a trilogy that would be really cool IMO.

25. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    Ever since 3D All-stars came out, according to the data-miners Sunshine seems to be running on some sort of Gamecube emulator so that's led to speculation of Nintendo re-releasing more Gamecube games, which does cover a lot of possible Zelda games. Even Ocarina of Time was ported to Gamecube way back, if I remember right.

Although the Wii U already covered a lot of Zelda games too (such as WW and TP), so those could be ported to Switch relatively easily too. They'll probably hold off until next year to announce a big Zelda 35th celebration (maybe after March 2021 when they will forcibly wind down the Mario stuff).