main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Gaming Zelda Fans Come Hither...

Discussion in 'Community' started by alpha_red, May 11, 2004.

1. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Nintendo CIVIL WAR is over- Sakurai Won!

Last edited: Jul 7, 2021
    3sm1r and Ramza like this.
  2. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    That old Ganon is no match for the King!

3. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    No luck on the Loftwing amiibo, alas (apparently there have been shipping delays that reduced the orders sent to NA, but additional stock is expected in August). But, I did score these:

So now, with 3 sets of JoyCons, I officially have more than i can carry with me in a single carry case. I have to make decisions when I travel now!

Last edited: Jul 17, 2021
  4. Reynar_Tedros

Reynar_Tedros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 3, 2006
    As someone who is frequently bothered by the obtuseness of older Zelda games (I often had to consult guides for ALttP, OoT, LA, etc.), would the notoriously hand holdy Skyward Sword maybe be my jam?

Last edited: Jul 18, 2021
  5. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Probably, it's far more linear than those games, and its overworld is much more limited (though still fairly expansive). And between Fi* and its gossip stones you should never have a difficult time figuring out what you need to do next.

*she'll drive you crazy sometimes with how hand-holdy she is, but I guarantee you'll never feel utterly lost

6. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I just got Skwyard Sword on Friday. I'll probably play that after Mass Effect.

7. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    I'm looking forward to hearing your review of it.

8. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    One of the QOL improvements for the HD version is making her advice optional/you have to ask for it.

9. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Yeah I kinda forgot the HD version just came out. We'll have to wait a bit to see what the consensus is on how hand-holdy this new version is, but from initial impressions it still seems pretty straightforward.

10. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    So I'm confused.
    Where does Skyward Sword belong in the story line ? And is it similar to BOTW in terms of gameplay?
    I thought BOTW 2 would be the next game we were waiting for.

11. Todd the Jedi

Oct 16, 2008
    SSHD is a remaster of a game that came out about a decade ago. Timeline-wise it's the earliest Zelda game. Gameplay-wise it has some similarities but not a whole ton- it's more in line with older games than with BOTW. It was the first game though to have the stamina wheel.

Classically Zelda games are released all over the timeline. Every now and then you'll get direct sequels that come out shortly after their predecessors, but not always. For instance, the very first game is 12th in line on its timeline.

3sm1r likes this.
  12. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    Ok so I guess we are about 100 years before BOTW.

I think I'll buy it.

13. Todd the Jedi

Oct 16, 2008
    More like 50,000 lol. The Zelda world is oooooold.

darthcaedus1138, Rew and 3sm1r like this.
  14. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Yeah, every time a new Link or Zelda is incarnated for a new game timeframe the story is always an “a hundred years later”-type scenario.

Depending on the timeline branch, and assuming BOTW is after everything else, there’s probably an absolute minimum of 700-800 years between SS & BOTW1.

But going by the last trailer preview, we might be expecting connections between SS & BOTW2, so it’s not a coincidence that they’re releasing a new SSHD now versus just porting the existing HD remakes of Twilight Princess or Wind Waker.

Gameplay structure-wise in relation to BOTW, SS introduced the stamina mechanic as well as a decentralized dungeon design that put challenges more into the world surrounding the dungeon than containing them within.

BOTW basically took those concepts and developed them further while combining them with the non-linear structure of A Link Between Worlds and the original NES games (vs the more linear narrative thrust of OOT, TP, TWW & SS).

Rew and 3sm1r like this.
  15. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    IRL chronologically, Skyward Sword was developed after Twilight Princess so there are a lot of similarities and improvements on ideas that started with TP. At one point, I believe SS was going to have the same look as TP but when they started developing it for the Wii, so they changed the art style which added time to its release. Also the incorporation of the new idea of "Wii Motion Plus" probably added development time as well. I believe it was announced in 2008/2009 and it didn't come out until 2011.

But yes, as stated above, SS was developed in mind to the VERY first entry in the Legend of Zelda timeline. So you'll see names and hints of things to come that already existed in later games to tie it all together. I believe BOTW is last on the timeline.

The 2011 (and current) reception was pretty lukewarm compared to other Zelda titles. Personally, I really enjoyed it in 2011, especially the story. The controls were a little wonky, but I found that playing the game standing up helped a lot and added to my enjoyment. Obviously, Nintendo has heard the criticisms and you can play the HD remake now with no motion controls whatsoever if you desire.

Rew likes this.
  16. Todd the Jedi

Oct 16, 2008
    You haven't played BOTW yet right? They explicitly date it "10,100" years after the big fight between the Ancient Hero and Calamity Ganon, which itself is a long time after OoT, at the least. And then presumably there's a sizable gap between OoT and SS, and then about 1000 years between SS and the events in its backstory, which are shortly after the creation of Hyrule. It can be hard to grasp because it's in medieval stasis all that time, barring the occasional schizo-tech popping up in every era (advanced robots in the distant past!)

Rew likes this.
  17. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    Technologies seem to develop at very slow pace in Zelda's universe.

18. Darth_Nabb

Darth_Nabb Jedi Grand Master star 1

Jun 10, 2003
    I never understood the muted reaction to Skyward Sword. To me, it was what we all hoped motion control might be when the "Revolution" was finally revealed. Software mostly and predictably ended up going in the "gimmick" direction, but with SS it felt genuinely immersive and organic.

The2ndQuest and Rew like this.
  19. ZanderSolo

ZanderSolo Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 18, 2007
    I am trying to find these everywhere, since my joycons just broke.

People are legit selling on Amazon/ eBay/walmart for hundreds of dollars and I'm sitting here unable to play my switch/ SkySwo because i hate all the other colors and the white aren't out yet.

20. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    Zelda timelines are... complicated. But anyway, Skyward Sword is the earliest game in the timeline, predating every other game by centuries (at least the mainline ones, not sure about the spinoffs). They also set Breath of the Wild long, long after every other Zelda game (at least 10,000 years).

I have fond memories of the original Skyward Sword, but I agree with why it was controversial. I'll probably get the port soon, although I'm a bit worried about hearing a useful feature from the original that might be locked behind the amiibo now, but I might have misread something elsewhere. Otherwise, sounds like they've made things more convenient by now.

21. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Yeah, I'm hoping to start BOTW by the end of the year. Xenoblade Chronicles 2 will have to go into stasis for awhile- I've been holding off on BOTW trying to finish that game first but I'm only about 30-40 hours in and I need to catch-up on Zelda, Mario, Metroid & the PS4 games I have over the next year. XC2 will get regulated to an hour or two at the laundromat every couple months, I guess.

So, yeah, I didn't know they established that big of a gap (but makes sense, given what basic details I do know about the story). I just figured there's at least 100 years between SS & Minish/FS, another 100 between them and OOT, at least 100 years between OOT & ALBW, another 100 between ALBW & ALTTP, another 100 between ALTTP & LOZ and another 100 between HYWA2 & BOTW. I guessed a 100 minimum between LOZ and HYWA2, but that seems to be my main error.

I didn't play far enough into SS to know myself, but the impression from reports I've read is that the amiibo fast travel feature is a new addition to the game, not an old one locked away.

I'm looking forward to starting SS over eventually (after BOTW). I enjoyed what I did of it originally and had no trouble with the motion controls, so I'll probably keep using them this time to stay as authentic to the original experience as possible. Normally I'd pick up my original save file but it's been almost a decade since I last played it and I'd have no idea where to pick up my quest at. At this point, best to just start from scratch and take advantage of all the new QOL features.

Not to mention the font size in the original game on an SDTV is what made me upgrade to an HDTV back in the day and make me realize that I probably needed glasses in some cases, so having the text in actual HD will be most welcome in that regard :).

22. ZanderSolo

ZanderSolo Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 18, 2007
    Amazon just restocked Zelda SS joycons for anyone who wants, normal cost.

TiniTinyTony likes this.
  23. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Evidently Skyward Sword HD was the best selling game in North America in July.

:/

24. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    I played BOTW again after few months of Witcher and boy it still feels soo good.... even after completing the game. Wandering for shrine alone is satisfactory.

Also I had a closer look to Zora's city architecture and it's really beautiful.

I almost feel tempted to buy Skyward Sword but it's probably wiser to wait for BOTW2 and get obsessed over it for two weeks straight.

25. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    And the amiibo is still selling out seconds after Wario 64 tweets about restocks. Sigh.