main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Gaming Zelda Fans Come Hither...

Discussion in 'Community' started by alpha_red, May 11, 2004.

1. Luke_Sparkewalker

Luke_Sparkewalker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 23, 2001
    Oh.my.god

downloading it now but just from the shots and talk this is going to be the best zelda in a long time.

when do we get it!!

2. alpha_red

alpha_red Jedi Youngling star 5

Aug 24, 2003
    Link must battle Ganon, because Zelda has been kidnapped.
    But first, he must retrieve half a dozen artefacts.
    Them he must complete his quest by retrieve several more sacred artefacts.
    Then Link vs. Ganon. Link wins. And Zelda is Rescued. And all is well. Until Next Time.

Beyond the obvious, I meant. ;)

The battle system, judging by Link's movements, is presumably the same as that of OOT, MM, and WW -- if it ain't broken, don't fix it.

It does look a lot like OOT Hyrule, though I doubt it's a remake.

3. Luke_Sparkewalker

Oct 23, 2001
    Yep, looks like OoT Hyure(sp?)

Looks like we'll actully see the army of darkness the games always refure too, which is somthing I've always wanted.

From the writing in the tralier do you think the game could foucas on darkness taking the light from hyure? or just refuring to the army of darkness thing?

looks amazing, and only a year or so away! kool

4. Valyn

Valyn Jedi Master star 8

Mar 2, 2002
    alpha: My thoughts exactly, Val. Been a while. How's it hangin'?

...Shriveled and to the left

[/Liar_Liar] ;)

5. Valyn

Valyn Jedi Master star 8

Mar 2, 2002
    Link must battle Ganon, because Zelda has been kidnapped.
    But first, he must retrieve half a dozen artefacts.
    Them he must complete his quest by retrieve several more sacred artefacts.
    Then Link vs. Ganon. Link wins. And Zelda is Rescued. And all is well. Until Next Time.

[face_laugh]

6. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    Well everyone complained when they got the cell shaded Link in Wind Waker. Now we finally got our adult link. I can't freakin' wait!

Unfortunately it said "coming soon" at the end of the trailer. For most games "coming soon" means in a few months. For Nintendo, "coming soon" means 2006.

7. Luke_Sparkewalker

Oct 23, 2001

IGN(If you trust those guys) have posted that nintendo has been working on this behind close doors for a while now and it is being released some time early next year.

but we all remember OoT release...

8. alpha_red

Aug 24, 2003
    The official release date is slated for April 2005.

Which, in Nintendo time, means Christmas 2005.

9. Luke_Sparkewalker

Oct 23, 2001
    Heres the quote from cubeign

"Nintendo fans never forgot about that brief trailer(spaceworld) that showed so much promise.

And, as it turns out, neither did Nintendo."

"Today at its pre-E3 event in Los Angeles, Nintendo dropped a earth-shaking bomb. Not only has it secretly been working on a brand new Legend of Zelda title inspired by its famous Space World 2000 demo, but the game is very far along and looks absolutely drop-dead gorgeous"

"The game, simply titled Legend of Zelda (and not Wind Waker 2), is set for release on GameCube sometime next year."

"After the display ended and the crowd settled, Nintendo designer and director Shigeru Miyamoto took the stage with Master Sword and shield in hand and addressed lucky attendees. "I am not Link, but I do know him!" he joked. "Even after 18 years the Legend of Zelda never stops changing and this game is no different. We are now taking you to a world where Link has grown up -- a world where he will act different and look different. In order to grow, Link must not stand still and neither will I. Thank you and goodbye." With a few more sword swings, Miyamoto stepped off the stage."

;)

10. Sarendipity

Sarendipity Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 12, 2004
    Majora's Mask was the OoT sequel.

I'd like to pretend it wasn't ;)

11. Luke_Sparkewalker

Oct 23, 2001
    I thought every Zelda was a differant Link? I remember the director/creator saying that somwhere.

I think THIS could actully be the sequal. It sounds/looks like you will always be old link just like in WW you were young link.
    This could be the same link as OoT grown up and Gannondorf has unleashed his army to destory hyrule for the last time.

or maybe not..

12. Syrix_Kahl

Syrix_Kahl Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 25, 2001
    Yes, this news has kept me from sleeping for the last day. I've been doing quite a bit of research. There's quite a bit of speculation that the game will be based on the original Legend of Zelda game.

As for LoZ history, here's the rundown (spoliers included):

Ocarina of Time is generally considered to be at the start of the timeline. Ganondorf rises up from the Gerudo nation and claims the Triforce of Power. It is important to note that in the game's future Ganondorf creates a phantom of himself to fight Link in the Forest Temple, which Link defeats and so Ganon banishes it to "the world between dimensions". At the end of OoT all is set right and Link is returned to his youth.

Majora's Mask continues on from OoT. It is the same Link. I haven't found anything of great importance in this game, although it is interesting to note that the role of the two witches is drastically different to OoT.

And that's it for Link I.

Link to the Past was the only Legend of Zelda released on the SNES and it comes in place next. The sorceror Aganihm kidnaps the Princess Zelda to open a doorway to the Sacred Realm so that the Evil King Ganon can come back through. Aganihm is, in fact, the Phantom Ganondorf. When Ganon was banished at the end of OoT he was trapped in the Sacred Realm. However, he still had possession og the Triforce of Power and over many years managed to influence the world outside the Sacred Realm. He sent his phantom back from the world between dimensions into Hyrule so that he might be able to open a portal between the two worlds again.

Link II only gets the one game.

Next comes the first two games, The Legend of Zelda and Link's Adventure, followed by Link's Awakening for the Gameboy. Of these three, it is Link's Awakening that is the most interesting. After defeating Ganon's evil twice, Link heads out to a distant land, seeking knowledge and power so that he might find a way to banish Ganon once and for all if he ever tried to return again. Link is shipwrecked in a storm and ends up dreaming an adventure on a small, far away island. Although he wakes up at the end, we are left seeing him drifting on a bit of wood in the ocean.

The Wind Waker stars Link IV, and from information in the opening movie, as well as from the King later in the game, it would seem that Link III never returned to Hyrule. When Ganon eventually returned to Hyrule, the godesses sealed the lands away beneath the waves. However, if the Hero of Time was to ever rise up again, he would be able to undo the seal of the godesses and return Hyrule to it's former glory. This is touched upon by the Deku Tree in tWW, as well as the Forest Koroks whose task it is to help spread out the Great Forest so that it will one day join the Islands together. In addition to this, we know that tWW was originally supposed to contain an extra TWO dungeons, that were cut out towards the very end due to time restrictions.

So, that's the History of Hyrule. As for the new game, I think it will either be a continuation of the Link to the Past or Wind Waker storylines. From what we've seen so far, I'd be more willing to back the former, but time will tell.

Edit: The old crappy Phillips CD expansion-y thing for the SNES had 3 Zelda games which don't count, since they suck ass and aren't offical games anyway.

As for the Seasons/Ages games on Gameboy Color, well it's hard to say. Since they were made by Capcom, and not Nintendo, I am reluctant to include them as offical storyline material. However, since they do share quite a bit with the other games, I have worked on my own little theory for them. The Orcales games both feature Kolune and Kotake (or whatever their names are, the two witches), and we learn that they plan to summon Ganon. The only logical place for the Oracles games to occur is inbetween OoT and MM. The witches are evil in OoT as they are in Oracles. However, in MM they run a potion shop and can actually come in rather handy. And, off the top of my head, none of the witches in any other Zelda game are evil.

13. Darth_Omega

Darth_Omega Force Ghost star 6

May 19, 2002
    Wind Waker is another sequel to OoT :p Am I the only who thinks that OoT has two endings, the one where everyone celebrates, the future timeline and the one where Link meets Zelda at the end in the past time line.

tWW is a sequel to the future timeline.

edit:
    I also have to point out that Termina in MM is an Alternative Universe where everything is the opposite. Or something like that :p

14. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002
    Wasn't the next Gamecube Zelda supposed to be cel-styled like that childish cartoonish WW? That trailer, looking very commendable, was in a more mature format.

Incidentally, what does Zelda do in the games other than be the cliched damsel in distress? The games should really be called Link, not known as Zelda.

15. Darth_Omega

Darth_Omega Force Ghost star 6

May 19, 2002
  16. Luke_Sparkewalker

Oct 23, 2001
    ^Sounds cool

"But since then, we've been left with a very big question: and that was, what are we going to do when we decide to make Link a teenager again -- a 16-year-old Link. So after Wind Waker we tried several different models and made varied versions of them. Ultimately we decided that in showing a teenage Link really the best style of expressing him would be something that's closer to our graphical style in Ocarina of Time."

yeah, thought we would be older link throught the game. SWEET

I want to lead the Hyrule army into battle!!

17. Blithe

Blithe Jedi Master star 4

Jun 24, 2003
    Wasn't the next Gamecube Zelda supposed to be cel-styled like that childish cartoonish WW? That trailer, looking very commendable, was in a more mature format.

No, it was just a marketing scheme to fool everyone.

But Jesus! I have not been to a gaming site in months, and today I pop into IGN.com and ...there it was. [face_shocked] What I have been waiting for since I finished Ocarina of Time. [face_shocked] I was just stunned, I watched the trailer, and tried not to scream like a little girl or something.

The game engine looks great! None of that in the video was CG, it was the Game engine itself. And Miyamoto coming out on stage and talking to the crowd and saying he knows who link really is, that he has "grown" up, and he acts different. :D

Its almost as if he is apologizing in a way. [face_mischief]

But I think one of the most interesting aspects is how the game is going to be about teen link growing up instead of Young Link becoming a teen. I wonder if he will actually look older? Guess we'll have to wait and see.

-Jabba out

18. Pooja

Pooja Jedi Knight star 6

May 25, 2002
    I was just stunned, I watched the trailer, and tried not to scream like a little girl or something.

There were like five of my "gaming buddies" standing around my PC when they aired the trailer on the live webcast from E3 and I STILL screamed like a little girl. :)

19. jedi_john_33

jedi_john_33 Jedi Master star 7

Sep 26, 2003
    I now have reason to acquire a Gamecube. [face_love]

that video clip gave me goosebumps!

20. DarthMaul431

DarthMaul431 Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 19, 2003
    I loved the image of Link on Epona in the forest. It reminded me of Fangorn Forest in LOTR. I also liked the sunset pictures.

21. alpha_red

Aug 24, 2003
    Link's Awakening did NOT come after the original games. It came shortly after LttP. That Link gets 2 games.

We don't know whether the original Link ever returned to Hyrule or not. In fact, we don't even know that the King was referring to Majora's Mask when he said that Link was called away to "another land." This is incredibly ambiguous -- all we know is that at some point, Link lost the Triforce of Courage. It might not even have been the same Link that lost it -- the powers of the Triforce appear to be hereditary. On the other hand, the powers of the Sages appear to be rather arbitrary in terms of race -- anyone worthy enough can carry the mantle of a Sage.

It's noteworthy that Ganon still has the Triforce of Power in WW. Therefore, it could not have been after LttP. LttP must take place on the "new Hyrule" that Link and Tetra founded. I'd like to see a WW sequel where they search for this land.

My vote says that the game is a continuation of the Ocarina of Time story, taking place between MM and OOT's annihilated future timeline, starring a near-adult Link. If you watched the animation, you'll notice that he looks considerably more mature. Link's shield is in the exact same style and shape as OOT's Hylian Shield. The horse also appears to be Epona.

Miyamoto isn't apologizing for WW. He doesn't have to apologize -- plenty of people liked it. But this is what everyone wants and can agree on.

Truthfully, LoZ history is a hotly debated topic, and there is no one definitive answer to certain points, because Nintendo has left them ambiguous (possibly in an effort to encourage debate so their games sell?) Don't rely on my history or anyone else's to tell you what to think -- find facts and decide for yourself.

I made no effort to not scream like a girl.

22. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    TWW is a sequel to the future timeline.

Yes, that's true.

23. alpha_red

Aug 24, 2003
    No, it is not.

But, hey, at least no one here is one of those nut jobs that thinks there's only one Link.

24. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Wind Waker mentions the "Hero of Time" who came out of nowhere and defeated Ganon, then disappeared. In OoT, Link is returned to the past and Ganondorf never gains power-- thus allowing Majora's Mask happen; when OoT ends, Link never becomes the "Hero of Time." Since TWW mentions the future that never happened (as far as people at the end of OoT are concerned), that must mean that the world in TWW is a continuation of the timeline in which Ganon reigned over Hyrule for seven years before the "Hero of Time" came out of nowhere and kicked his ass. BTW, I consider the timeline with Majora's Mask as an alternate timeline, and TWW as part of the "main" timeline.

25. Valyn

Valyn Jedi Master star 8

Mar 2, 2002
    ^^
    Ditto

EDIT:

Did Link have the fairy Ocarina or the Ocarina of Time in MM?

You know, MM could easily fit into the main storyline with OoT and TWW. Link might still have retained his memories after returning to his childhood at the end of OoT, and he might have befriended Epona again and Zelda, which could have gotten him the Ocarina of Time from her. And if it's not the OoT that he has in MM and it's the fairy Ocarina, Saria might have given it to him regardless of the OoT tragedy never happening. They were best friends after all.