main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Embrace The FU - Formerly the STAR WARS IS BAD thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by -polymath-, Oct 30, 2012.

1. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    Fun episode, great cast

cubman987 and Rylo Ken like this.
  2. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
  3. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    Twi'leks have vampire teeth now. Huh.

Darth Punk likes this.
  4. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    Rey:"Really? They fly now like you?"

5. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    I just fundamentally disagree. He is not running your Dungeons & Dragons campaign.

Good stories are independent of new “questions” or “lore.” It is the prioritization of this material over building a narrative that has led to the stupidity we now have. Because isn’t aphasia an awesome new addition to the Universe with chrome armor?

Worlds are made to tell stories.

6. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    And he never will!

I think what makes a story good depends on the world its in, and a star wars story that doesn't utilize the lore tools that have already been set and doesn't create interesting lore is not a good star wars story in my books.

cratylus and Abadacus like this.
  7. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    What Star Wars product do you feel exemplifies these qualities?

I’ll counterpoint that ROTJ is widely beloved despite mostly dumb additions to the lore. Ewoks aren’t fundamentally interesting. But a son believing in his father’s redemption against the odds is a heartening and resonant tale. Lore elements just held this back, if anything.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2019
  8. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    Which makes them closer to being real vampires than the glittering ones from Twilight. :p

9. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    Honestly? KOTOR is one. KOTOR 1 and 2. I thought TFA introducing "non-sith" dark side users as the main baddies was pretty good (of course, then Rian kills off Snoke).

Can you tell me what interesting thing was left from TLJ for us to watch in Episode 9? Literally all that was left was for Rey to fight Kylo. Okay.

10. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Well, the First Order won despite the setback of Snoke's lower half being separated from his upper half.

And I don't know why the next film's plot should be obvious from the end of the previous one. Yeah, they are different situations, but ESB did not obviously follow from ANH and that contributed to it being a great sequel. I would expect millionaire screenwriters to be able to come up with something satisfying. Right?

....Right?

cratylus and tom like this.
  11. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    I think the idea will be to overwhelm all other inputs into consciousness by filling every frame of the movie with top shelf visual effects and very loud sounds. It works for Marvel. Will you be satisfied? Yes, in much the same way as the feeling you get after a good round of electro convulsive therapy.

cratylus likes this.
  12. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    I don't think I was clear, and that's caused a misunderstanding. I'm saying that there is nothing that happened in TLJ that forecasts or tells us where the story is gonna go next in Episode 9. It's the exact opposite of what you thought I meant. So it's exactly like ANH in that it was an "ending" and whatever happens in ESB/ROS it's gonna be completely fresh.

13. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    I think even Jabba-wocky thinks you are making a strange point now.

jp-30 likes this.
  14. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    I think it's great to deviate from predictable plot developments even though I don't expect JJ to really take advantage of it.

15. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    We'll just have to see, won't we. I'm aware that all the interesting speculation we do usually gets the most boring answers in the films themselves, but Rian Johnson was a big culprit in giving said boring answers and not taking advantage of anything.

16. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    Baby Yoda is carrying Star Wars. I don't think anyone would have predicted that plot development 3 months ago.

Darth Punk likes this.
  17. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    It's gonna be great.

cratylus and Boba_Fett_2001 like this.
  18. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    Did they, though? Yes, they didn't use the name Sith. But they literally reconstituted the Empire using former Imperial officers and ships based explicitly off Imperial designs. Their philosophical outlook stressed power and negative emotions in exactly the same way. The apprenticeship system and iconography of authority were also identical. In what sense, then, was this actually "new?" It seems like they came up with a brand new name for exactly the same thing.

19. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    I’ve already impulse preordered my vacuous plastic/plush one for possible delivery in April. I’m quite looking forward to the feeling of vague confusion and complete disappointment when it arrives. Like anyone I’ve had a one night with back in the day.

Darth Punk and Rylo Ken like this.
  20. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
  21. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Like I’ve had reading this thread.

22. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    Oh yes. It didn't really fit into the flow of my earlier post but I needed to reiterate Baby Yoda is terrible.

Rylo Ken likes this.
  23. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    Star Wars is hanging on by a thread. And Baby Yoda is holding the other end of that thread.

What we need is a cover of this song with "Baby Yoda" replacing the word "Flash"

Diggy likes this.
  24. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    He’ll swallow the thread. Then we get the nasty **** hanging on from invisible wire from baby Arse: do you try and grab the thread or swing the baby hoping the thread breaks.

You do the second. And end up doing the first anyway.

Rylo Ken likes this.
  25. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012