main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Embrace The FU - Formerly the STAR WARS IS BAD thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by -polymath-, Oct 30, 2012.

1. duende

duende Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 28, 2006
    fool=cool=snool

2. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    Today YouTube suggests I watch: "Rey and the sad devolution of the female character".
    And they say these tech companies know us.

3. duende

Apr 28, 2006
    i want to watch that. because it has "devo" in the title.

4. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    It also has ale char. You should click on it just for the drunken burning.

5. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    fool=cool=snool=yule.

6. duende

Apr 28, 2006
    b'dool.

7. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    Remember when this thread was about hot pockets?

8. duende

Apr 28, 2006
  9. duende

Apr 28, 2006
    when you want a hot meal
    with ally mcbeal
    whatcha gonna pick?
    hot pokkits.

when a smelly bum
    shows up for rum
    whatcha gonna pick?
    hot pokkits.

harpua likes this.
  10. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    This thread has gone really downhill ever since it stopped being about vibrators.

harpua likes this.
  11. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    *slips a vibe up your “hot pocket”*

12. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009
    It stopped being about hot pockets?

Then how on earth did the thread manage to survive 1365 pages? Star Wars can't possibly be that compelling.

13. gezvader28

Mar 22, 2003

ZOMG! The "Star Wars is Bad" Thread is bad .

14. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
  15. gezvader28

Mar 22, 2003
    Does George have DisneyTM stamped on his ass now ?

16. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    If he did, it now say Disnuts with an arrow pointing down.

17. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Is this a serious complaint? Do people fuss over this? I am unaware of any point in the Star Wars saga where any character seriously struggled to pilot any sort of vehicle at all, regardless of the circumstances or their background. I just sort of assumed that it was a pretty rudimentary task in this universe. That certainly wasn't my complaint about either Luke or Rey.

However, I did find it odd that someone whom, as far as I know, didn't have any reason to do physical combat with people would suddenly outfight Finn. Especially since we know from TR-8R that apparently the Stormtroopers had significant training in hand-to-hand combat and melee weapons. I would otherwise consign it to an instance of them remembering the character is black and therefore an incompetent janitor. Except Kylo Ren also grossly underperformed despite supposedly being well into his training. Beyond that, the film itself had sort of done away with the notion that only a Force user could successfully wield a lightsaber, so we should have just been down to skill with a weapon she'd scarcely heard of before, let alone used.

Likewise, the Force powers thing was a bit odd. She seems to invent sui generis techniques that others only mastered over time. I've no real problem with her being advanced in her ability to pick up new skills, especially if she is supposed to be a user of great potential. Even for the new powers, how they work is undefined, so I whatever she does is apparently workable (eg the mind invasion thing). But I'm baffled at the Jedi Mind Trick, which she successfully masters without even knowing it is something that is possible, and there being no obvious way to intuit the existence of such a skill. Again, though, this isn't really a problem unique to Rey. It's a bizarre feature of the sequels and their aggressive desire to shoehorn everything into plots that they haven't really written towards naturalistically.

18. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    Skill in Star Wars does seem to be hereditary.
    Luke is a great pilot because he's the son of a great pilot. Although unlike Rey it's mentioned how much he regularly flies on Tatooine, so combine that with chosen one DNA & you have easy explanation for why Luke is good at stuff.
    Rey as far as we know in TFA has never left Jakku since being abandoned there. She is essentially a homeless scavenger who seemingly has never piloted anything except her speeder. Going from that to suddenly being able to pilot the Millennium Falcon is far less convincing than the son of space Jesus who regularly flies a T-16 being able to fly an X-Wing.
    All that was needed was a throwaway line about how Rey spent years doing pilot stuff for Unkar Plutt or whatever & it would all make sense. Her just seemingly being able to pilot a complex starship with zero experience at all is the problem in TFA.

Her beating Kylo on the other hand is fine. He was injured badly (by Chewbacca & then Finn) and lacked mobility. Plus he was arrogant & she had a Force surge or whatever and overwhelmed him.
    Keep in mind it looked like he could pretty much only fight one handed. Hard to defend against an aggressive attacker guided by the Force when you're defending with one arm and bleeding.

19. Chewgumma

Apr 14, 2009
    I'm curious Wocky, if the input included a scene of Rey heroically sleeping on the bare floor, with no mattress between her and the sandy metal of her downed AT-AT, would the algorithm change and you go easier on the woman?

20. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    *looks at thread*

Uh huh.

plus les choses changent plus elles restent les mêmes

Emphasis on memes or meme persons.

SuperWatto and Sarge like this.
  21. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
  22. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    1. I reiterate that my problems are not personal to Rey and I’m not playing favorites based on my overall opinion of the characters.

2. Absolutely yes

23. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
  24. duende

Apr 28, 2006
    every time yodra says "hmmm" a child dies.

25. Chewgumma

Apr 14, 2009
    Is that the real cause of the downfall of humanity in Children of Men?