main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Embrace The FU - Formerly the STAR WARS IS BAD thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by -polymath-, Oct 30, 2012.

1. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Why so salty?

Sarge and DarthIntegral like this.
  2. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    Watching Batman & Robin

3. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Visceral. You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

PCCViking and SuperWatto like this.
  4. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003
    Visceral = vomit inducing??

news to me

DarthIntegral likes this.
  5. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    Dear, poor Lucas. He really thought he could do it.

His friends had made Important Films. Coppolla: the Godfather, Apocalypse Now. Spielberg: Schindler's List, Saving Private Ryan. And he? What had he done lately? Indiana Jones and Howard the Duck.

He was going to show them. He would make a trilogy of movies, showing how someone can slowly corrupt a government. He called his creation a myth, he spoke of rhyme and poetry, he divided his trilogy like you would an opera.

There was just one problem. He sucked at that.

I know what a compelling story about a corrupting politician should be like. He should surprise you (didn't). His plans should be smart (weren't). It should be relatable (wasn't). And most of all: it should make some sense. Attack Of The Clones featured the following story device: the scheming politician leads the supernatural galactic police people to a hidden army, by way of an assassin who tried to murder a senator. The supernatural police just happens to be in need of an army, so what the hell! Let's take it. No questions asked, even if we're supernatural.

He shoulda stuck with zap zap.

Last edited: May 21, 2019
  6. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    How were Palpatine's plans not smart?

He fooled the smartest people in the galaxy into fighting a war against himself, and they had no idea until he'd put his plans in place for their destruction.

So either he's a genius or everyone else is immeasurably dumb. Wouldn't give me much confidence in a supposedly wise & just Order if they fell for that.

7. FatBurt

Jul 21, 2003
    I've said it before.

Lucas - Great idea's man. Get him to provide the outline of a story with the key beats but then give it to a good director (Kirshner)

Ask him to implement his ideas and he'll struggle and will get lost in his own idea's as he builds further and further on it without creating a satisfying resolution.

8. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    I think the truly awful thing is that you skip over the ten worst things about the story flow.

SuperWatto and Diggy like this.
  9. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    I mean @SuperWatto made it clear why the plan was not smart. He relied upon happenstance.

SuperWatto and DarthIntegral like this.
  10. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    I don't see how.

The Jedi went where he wanted them to go, to find an army he'd created for a situation he'd engineered (Separatists)
    Nothing was coincidence. It was all manipulation.

The Jedi didn't need an army, they're not soldiers. The Republic needed one to fight the increasing threat.

And who is the leader of the Republic?
    Who would then happen to utilize this army that conveniently was created 10 years ago, starting a war against himself?

I agree more questions should have been asked, the whole Syfo Dyas thing never got resolved in the movies which was silly because it's of the main plot points.
    Clone Wars had to resolve it.

gezvader28 likes this.
  11. FatBurt

Jul 21, 2003
    it was awful

stop attempting to defend awful

badly

12. SuperWatto

Sep 19, 2000
    Well, the Jedi take utterly stupid decisions, so if they're the smartest, it must just be a dumb galaxy.

That could work. But it's not immediately apparant. Everything is brought with such ponderous gravity. They even got Christopher Lee. That would be a miscast then.

Sarge likes this.
  13. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    You yourself said Lucas has good ideas.

Palpatine's manipulation is a brilliant idea, just poorly executed in many ways.
    Like the romance & most other parts of the PT that are essential to making the story work well.

A decent screenwriter could have made Lucas' plan awesome, the seeds were there.
    That's the most frustrating aspect of the Prequels, there are good ideas in it that never get fully realised.

Alpha-Red likes this.
  14. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Watto. laid. It. Out.

How do they know how to go? A tip from Dexter. How did he come up with that tip? From a dart Jango used to kill whatever her name is. Why was whatever name is get killed? She failed to get away from Fannyquin and Kenobi? Why was she running? She failed her attempted assassination.

It’s the definition of happenstance. Because let’s face it, Palps “everything is proceeding as I have foreseen it” is dodgy at best.

Unless you believe in #richielogic

DarthIntegral and SuperWatto like this.
  15. FatBurt

Jul 21, 2003
    Yes Lucas has good ideas.

I then said give it to a good director.

I personally believe I have great story ideas. I can't however put them to paper to make a book.

Lucas has the idea, provided the key beats then his best films were when someone else managed the narrative.

The prequels could have been great if Lucas had taken a step or two back.

Instead we got what we got.

SuperWatto and Darth Guy like this.
  16. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    QFT. I can't buy into a character's genius when his plans rely on his opponents making stupid decisions.

SuperWatto likes this.
  17. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    [​IMG]

Part 2

[​IMG]

Darth Smurf and Sarge like this.
  18. SuperWatto

Sep 19, 2000
    Richie.

It's post-brexit. An EU politician, let's say Frans Timmermans, is the target of an assassination attempt. His bodyguard follows the trail - it's Boris Johnson.

The bodyguard stumbles upon a whole army of Boris Johnson clones. Its creators claim to be working for a dead old EU representative. Then, Frans Timmermans and the bodyguard are captured. They're to be executed, along with some other whiner.

You're the EU. What do you do? You have no army. Do you file a protest? Or are you going to have your security men command an army of shady Boris Johnson clones?

Alpha-Red and DarthIntegral like this.
  19. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    The EU has armies, lots of them. And the assistance of NATO.

I never said everything worked well, AOTC has obviously got issues with execution.

I'm simply against the idea everything happened accidentally or by coincidence.
    It didn't. Everyone was exactly where they were supposed to be & followed the trail Palpatine set up.

But it could have been done better.
    Especially without having to do the whole bit where Obi Wan goes to Dex's diner.

20. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Oh ****...does Richie have on ignore.

21. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    I definitely agree that there were some good ideas that sometimes challenged the perceptions of the OT-- e.g. instead of the romanticized samurai Obi-Wan described the Jedi were a bunch of stuffy monks. But Lucas lacked the ability to properly flesh it out or he just didn't care enough.

SithLordDarthRichie likes this.
  22. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    Was always weird to me that the robes Obi Wan wore in ANH weren't simply something he wore to be inconspicuous on Tatooine but actually the clothes all Jedi wore.
    Which you'd think might make him stand out in a galaxy where Jedi are hunted. Especially in a busy space port occupied by the Empire.

23. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Probably both. You can hear it in his voice

24. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Would Yodas robes not dispel this notion?

25. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    I mean he's pretty much just wearing a bathrobe, not quite like Kenobi.