main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Classics The Holiday Special - General Discussion

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Exar_Xan, Feb 23, 2003.

1. Exar_Xan

Exar_Xan Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 29, 2001
    Lets discuss here what we think about the Holiday Special in general.

Some info to start with: The Star Wars Holiday Special is a 2-hour long television special that aired on CBS on November 17, 1978. It starred all of the original cast of Star Wars except for Alec Guinness. Excluding commercials, the program ran about 90 minutes.
    The entire show is live-action, but there is an 11 minute animated segment, that is most popular as Boba Fett's first appearance in the Star Wars universe.
    George Lucas wrote the story for the program, but because of preparations for Empire Strikes Back he had hardly any further involvement.
    The program is about Chewbacca trying to fly home to his family on Kashyyyk. His family consists of his father, wife, and son. The show also has several special guest and musical appearances including the Jefferson Starship, Diahann Carroll, Bea Arthur, Art Carney, and Harvey Korman.

Pics coming in a few posts from now. And for those who are interesting to discuss Chewies family in special i point you all also to the tread on this board from YodaJeff.

2. Blackout

Blackout Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 7, 2000
    Dude, you forgot to mention how fantastic it is!! :D

{||||| ?||} -----------------------------

TheSithWriter likes this.
  3. Sabacc

Sabacc Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 9, 2001
    I have to agree. Lucas's own comments notwithstanding, I hear a lot of people writing in their columns that it's a horrible piece of schlock best left forgotten (and that they own a bootleg).

I, for one, love it. I remember watching it in '78 and have watched it at least once a year (during the Life Day season) since I acquired a copy of it about a decade ago, usually with a groaning non-Star Wars enthusiast in tow.

I honestly get pulled back into the nostalgia whenever I turn it on. I admit I like the kitsch: when stormtroopers hold guns at the faces of the good guys but never utter a word, Diahann Carroll shows the world, literally, the first version of virtual reality sex ("Do you feel me, [Itchy]? I am your fantasy."), and the long-faced Han from the animated portion scratches his groggy head. Sure, I've been known to fast-forward through the Jefferson Starship song, and Yes, I can get a bit bored while Harvey Korman's dated, otherworldy Julia Child wears out his (her?) welcome, but darn it, this is part of my childhood. This is the sort of thing that Lucas wants us to forget about. The hiccups and oddities that really gave the Star Wars Phenomenon its texture. It's time this thing gets remastered Officially and gets proper DVD treatment. ...but I'm not going to hold my breath. -Campbell

4. JediKnightOB1

JediKnightOB1 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 26, 2003
    Holiday Special on DVD you got a better chance of seeing God. The Star Wars Holiday special is Georges' "Bastard Child." It sucks "ass," people have said it was "so cool." Not cool, Boba Fett was introduced as a cartoon for cripes sakes. George owns the rights to that one, and most likely he will keep it more hidden that the final script for Ep III. Even with all of the digial abilities that he has he won't touch that with a 10-foot pole.

I have heard that there are bootleg copies that can be purchased from "sellers looking for suckers" on several auction sites.

Do yourself a favor, don't purchase a bootlegged copy, it is disapointing as it is. You don't need to be scarred for life.

5. Latorski

Latorski Jedi Master star 4

Dec 14, 2002
    I've got to agree with jediknightobi1 on this one. I'm not a fan of the EU but that holiday special is the worst Star Wars associated product I've ever seen. The Boba Fett cartoon is okay but the rest ranges from boring to painfully embarassing. Carrie Fisher sings a song set to Star Wars music, and Mark Hamill's make-up job is atrocious. There's a G-rated exotic dance from Diahann Carroll. Bea Arthur even does a cooking show! I won't comment on Art Carney, Jefferson Starship, etc. Thinking about it makes me laugh. Watching it makes me sleep.

6. The_Anakin_Wannabe

The_Anakin_Wannabe Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 21, 2003
    Oh god. [edited]. What an experience. Was it just me or did Hamill look a bit, nah, I dont want to be banned. It was dodgy. I love cheesy movies like this, but this was just too bad.

YJ edit: Don't mention illegal ways of obtaining bootleg copies.

7. Exar_Xan

Dec 29, 2001
    I dont think this was fantastic but not bad either. Sure there were some bad stuff like those mentoined above. But he its still star wars and dont we all want to see as much as possible of it? Well i do.

8. DarthSapient

DarthSapient Jedi Youngling star 10

Jun 26, 2001
    I have never seen this and have only ever seen a few screen caps. I really wish there was some way to get a hold of this.

9. Exar_Xan

Dec 29, 2001
    Well Sapient i know a way for you to get it, but i cant say it here. But i am sure you can find a way to get it. [edited]

YJ edit: Don't give hints as to where illegal copies can be found.

10. La_Capitan

La_Capitan Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 22, 2003
    I'm glad to say that I painstakenly sat through watching it once. Most of it anyway, there was a lot of fast forwarding. But what suprized me the most is that I can't remember there being one shot fired or one light saber lit up. In fact the only death I remember is a storm trooper falling off the tree house.

11. Exar_Xan

Dec 29, 2001
    La_Capitan, i cant remember any shooting of blasters either and I am sure of that there is no lightsaber lit. The only one we could have done that was Luke, but we saw him just twice (i believe). First time when he was contacted by Malla while cleaning something of his x-wing and later when they all came together. But i will check this later for you.

12. La_Capitan

La_Capitan Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 22, 2003
    Thanks.
    Question on lumpy and itchy. Would thier full names be lumpbacca and itchbacca?

13. k-man

k-man Jedi Youngling star 3

May 14, 2002
    While I agree THS is an abomination as a whole, I think there are some cool elements, campy as it may be. For starters, it's great to see the characters play out a story that's not one of the original films -- it's the only bit of EU that features the familiar faces of Mark, Harrison, and Carrie. The cartoon is fine and it helps that the actors did the voice characterizations. The imperial troops were great, with a little fight action at the end and an officer falling to his death.

It is WAY too long, and Diane Carrol -- uh...no comment.

I reccommend watching it at least once.

14. Exar_Xan

Dec 29, 2001
    Your welcome, always the pleasure to help a fellow poster here.

And the full names of Itchy, Lumpy and Malla are: Attichitcuk, Lumpawarrump (later changed into: Lumpawaroo) and Mallatobuck.

15. Spike_Spiegel

Spike_Spiegel Former FF Administrator Former Saga Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 12, 2002
    I saw it recently...oh god.

Harvey Korman in drag!

Bea Arthur dancing with Greedo!

Carrie Fisher singing...badly!

Mark Hamill with waaaay too much makeup!

What's not to like!

And Lumpy looks like Gary Coleman!

[image=http://www.starwars-universe.com/images/dossiers/holiday_special/prod_making_6m.jpg]

16. Alabak

Alabak Jedi Padawan star 4

May 21, 2001
  17. Courteney_Rox

Courteney_Rox Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 8, 2002
    There are Neimoidians sat at the bar in that Golden Girls woman's scene. A down and out Nute Gunray, Lott Dod and Rune Haako? Possible proof that they may not die in Episode III?

18. ratherkissawookie

ratherkissawookie Jedi Master star 3

Feb 17, 2002
    Well, I obtained a copy a while back and let me just say that that was probably the worst $10 I have spent in my life.

My recommendation: If you feel the urge to watch this, do so in a padded room with no corners and stay away from sharp objects for at least 24 hours.

19. Leavethattome

Leavethattome Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 10, 2002
    I think they should remake it.

20. The_Anakin_Wannabe

Jan 21, 2003
    Does anyone know what George and company thought of it? Who lets something so bad get on air??

21. Latorski

Latorski Jedi Master star 4

Dec 14, 2002
    I know Lucas hates it now. I'm guessing they were contractually obligated to CBS to allow them to air it.

22. The_Anakin_Wannabe

Jan 21, 2003
    Excellent, now I have another question :p

Is the Holiday Special considered EU? It was written by Lucas, however it isn't a part of the movies.

23. k-man

k-man Jedi Youngling star 3

May 14, 2002
    I don't believe it was written by George. I think it was written under conditions similar to the current EU -- the writer/publishing house comes to George with a story overview, he approves or disapproves certain things, and then they go from there.

On paper, back in the day, I'm sure it looked like a good idea -- a SW story about Han trying to get Chewie home for the holidays, focusing on Chewie's home planet, stormtroopers are looking for them, it's cut with musical and comedy acts by reputable people of the time, and has a cartoon.

It's just that something, somewhere, went terribly wrong.

24. Kizakh

Kizakh Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 27, 2002
    For some strange reason, I seem to remember Lucas' name being conspicuously absent from the Holiday Special credits.

So either he had next to nothing to do with it, or he wisely washed his hands of the whole mess.

And if nothing else, the Holiday Special teaches us that contractual obligations are bad.

25. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    Type in "Star Wars Holiday Special" into any seach engine... there are a few web pages dedicated to it...

GL once said that "if he had the time and a hammer, he would track down every copy of the *curse* ed thing and smash it to pieces".

I saw it a a frinds house... the VR machien... Art Carney... oh the horror!!