main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series New animated series CONFIRMED Fall 2014: Star Wars Rebels!

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by rezpen, May 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sgt Crowfield

Sgt Crowfield Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 27, 1999
    [ahem] Wet dream. [/ahem]
    Seriously, a wonderful idea. This would be so fa- *faints*

07jonesj likes this.
  2. 07jonesj

07jonesj Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2010
    Depends when in the timeline this is. Later on, the Empire begins recruiting "regular" humans into their ranks as stormtroopers.

Assuming the show follows that information, of course.

3. rezpen

rezpen Jedi Master star 4

May 4, 2010
    Hopefully this series will address the transition from Jango clones to other clones and non clone recruits. I would love to see the clone rebellion(?) from the EU with Rex and Fives maybe even joining the rebels eventually.

TreborSabreon and Sgt Crowfield like this.
  4. ImNotAStarWarsFanboy

ImNotAStarWarsFanboy Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 25, 2011
    Is it the same writing team as TCW?

5. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Although this isn't exactly the same as the gritty underworld stories we heard about for the LAS, this has got to be what happened with that Dark Times era TV show idea. It could be cool, but I hope it doesn't overdo the "continuing adventures of the TCW gang" too much... especially, of course, Ahsoka. Also, I can virtually guarantee Tatooine will be in this. A lot.

TreborSabreon likes this.
  6. 07jonesj

07jonesj Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2010
    Simon Kinberg seems to be heading the writing team. His most notable prior work is Sherlock Holmes (2009 film) and X-Men: First Class. Having watched both of those films, this could be a step up, though SW is, of course, a unique beast.

7. Ani501st

Ani501st Jedi Padawan star 3

Mar 18, 2013
    Why stoping a show to begin another one ? No-sense. However, I will wait to see trailers to judge this new show but the title looks interesting. It is a good thing for me that Filoni is working on the show.

8. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    Brings me back to the old interviews where DBB said he'd had discussions with DF about the transition between Clones and Storm Troopers.

Cool news, Greg Weisman the man behind Gargoyles one of my all time favorite shows teaming up with Dave Filoni a animation genius sounds like a win and another chance for SW to make a contribution to western animation. Gonna need some more action cartoons. I'm glad this sounds like a continuation on TCW which is awesome. Hopefully since it takes place in The Dark Times it'll be far removed with whats going on in the movies and have some longevity. 3 season would atleast be nice.

9. Jose Luis

Jose Luis Jedi Youngling

Feb 10, 2013
    Great news.

My guess is that this is a big clue as to what we will see in Episode VII. Why? What happens and who pops-up between Episode III and IV must be important to the heroes of the Original Trilogy and their efforts to set up the New Republic, and since there can be little meddling with the timeline of the original trilogy, it would make more sense to pull characters and story arc from the intra-trilogy period and use those characters in the sequel trilogy so as to somehow give Episodes VII,VIII and IX some backstory, like a "dormant" enemy that could be foreshadowed in this new animated series, or simply give the Original Trilogy characters even more depth (if that is possible).

I don't know, either way I'm excited!

10. rezpen

rezpen Jedi Master star 4

May 4, 2010
    Also this will be the time frame if we are getting young Han Solo stand alone movie as promised so that might be part of the reason we are getting Kinberg involvement. It's not clear if the Boba Fett stand alone movie would be an origin story, but maybe they are putting Kinberg in charge of overseeing the dark times era projects?

11. LunarMoth

LunarMoth Jedi Master star 4

Nov 27, 2012
    I think you are missing or mis-understanding my point. Sure, there might not be much established for the time between Ep. III and Ep. IV, but we know led up to the time period and what it leads to.

For the time between Ep. VI and VII, again non-EU, we do know what led up to it, but have no idea what it leads to...

That being said, I totally understand the point that Ep VII is still being written, which throws an obviuos wrench into a well planned series leading up to it.

12. Feng Shui Engine

Feng Shui Engine Jedi Padawan star 1

Jan 24, 2013
    This is excellent news. The Clone Wars had become incredible in the later seasons; Dave Filoni and crew will be bringing all that they've learnt from making TCW into Rebels. Hopefully this means the new series will have a far better first showing than TCW did.

My only concern is the fact the show will be airing on Disney XD, which could mean the show may end up pulling even more punches than it already did on Cartoon Network.

13. Skaddix

Skaddix Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 3, 2012
    Depends on how success is defined big wins sure not going to happen some sabotage though certainly.

Excited that Greg is involved though.

14. Trebor Sabreon

Trebor Sabreon Former Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 15, 2010
    I think you've touched upon a good point, here. First, the look: I imagine, with so many of the folks responsible for the look of TCW on board with the new show (and Filoni saying "what if this [McQuarrie's paintings] was CG"), we will see Rebels build off of the fantastic work done of late on TCW. Expect more TCW than CW, I'd say.

Now, to the idea of Rebels having its own identity? I think a lot could depend on where in the 19 years between Episodes III and IV the show is set. I won't be surprised if we see any number of characters who survived The Clone Wars show up in the new production, including one prominent Togruta, in particular. While I have come to enjoy Ahsoka and Rex and any number of characters from TCW, my hope is that if they appear, it will be in a supporting role. This is a new show, set in a new time and with a vastly different landscape, and I hope the show reflects this. We may well have to prepare ourselves to see Tano becoming a major player in the development of the Rebellion. While I'm personally not against the idea of her having some influence in these events, there are already a number of the major players established, in this regard, and I wouldn't want to see their influence cast aside in the way some of the other stories were with TCW. Let us generally embrace and work within the framework of what has come before, please.

Other first thoughts include:

- As an incredibly huge Obi-Wan Kenobi fan, this news brings with it much excitement and hope over the possibility of seeing Kenobi active during his 'exile period' on Tatooine (a time spanning 1/3 of his life, but with precious little development, thus far). Oh, the possibilities!

- As with TCW, the new, original characters developed for the series should prove very interesting. I can't wait to see who we will meet next, especially surrounding the namesake Rebels. Anybody think we'll see Saw Gerrea? I think we just might. Additionally, unless he's wiped out sometime during the 'bonus content' episodes, I also see a role for Lux Bonteri as almost being a given.

- Vader and the Emperor. Well, as this show is set during the 'Dark Times,' we will get to see these two greatest of the Sith with their gloves off, fully engorged in the dark side, and at the height of their powers (I just hope Tim Curry figures Sidious out before he heads back into the recording booth!).

- Speaking of powerful force users alive during the Imperial period, any bets on whether Sam Witwer return, revisiting the role which first introduced him to the GFFA? I know that there are those who didn't care for Galen Marek, but I enjoyed the character and his story in the first TFU, at least, and I wouldn't say no to the idea, myself (just tone down the over-the-top Force powers, please).

- How about some Sate Pestage action? Emperor's Hands? Stormtroopers and the change for the 501st from galactic heroes to 'Vader's Fist'? Will Rex live to see the day? If so, what could his reaction possibly be?

Yes, there are many unanswered questions and much (very much, I think) to be excited about. Given the upcoming release of Episode VII, my money would have been on a post-ROTJ series, and while I would have been very interested had this been the direction for the show, I fully endorse the decision to run with the story of the 'Dark Times.' The story of Rebels.

15. hlc88

hlc88 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    My era is the prequel era.... that is probably why I have limited interest. My favourite SW characters are unlikely to be involved in the new series either...

If Ahsoka is a main character I'd be surprised... limited appearances please.

16. Darth Valkyrus

Darth Valkyrus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 12, 2013
    Garm bel Iblis would be awesome.

So-so on Starkiller.

Jar Jar's fate revealed?

17. DarthKreVass

DarthKreVass Jedi Grand Master star 3

Dec 27, 2008
    Friggin' Awesome. Can't wait :)

18. Circular Logic

Circular Logic Jedi Master star 4

Mar 3, 2013
    Excellent news! Having the new show set in the Dark Times and establishing the initial seeds of the Rebellion while the Empire solidifies its power base is a very good choice of setting. As others have noted, they can wrap up a few TCW plot points and resolve the fates of certain characters whose stories were left open-ended after TCW (assuming they aren't resolved in the bonus material): Rex, Ahsoka, Talzin, Maul... I do think this time period works well largely because there are so few stories in the EU that take place around this time, so there is less continuity that the team has to work around, unlike TCW. This should give the team more freedom to make new and unique stories without clashing with existing EU works.

I suspect that the show may not take place immediately after RotS, but some time after the initial Jedi Purge has already finished, so the vast majority of the Jedi who survived Order 66 would have perished at the hands of Vader and the Empire. Obviously, we can't start with the Rebel Alliance already fully formed, but I imagine the show will probably focus on both original and well-known characters that may play some role in defying the Empire and planting those nascent seeds of rebellion. It can then culminate in the formation of the Alliance at the conclusion of the series, leading directly into the events of ANH. I am quite excited for the possibilities that follow, and am glad other directors are working on the show besides Filoni. More ideas and more oversight.

19. hlc88

hlc88 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    I would honestly be surprised if they used Kenobi in this series...

CaptainRegor likes this.
  20. Grievousdude

Grievousdude Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 27, 2013
    I've always wanted to see more of this era. Though it dosen't quite make up for the Clone Wars ending I think its the next best thing.

21. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    Excellent news! I've always wanted to see more stories in this era! I'm very much looking forward to this!

22. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    I don't see how they would be able to resist using Kenobi in this series... or why they really should resist using him, for that matter.

23. Grievousdude

Grievousdude Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 27, 2013
    It would be cool if this new show ties in with the upcoming Kenobi novel.

24. Orrelios

Orrelios Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 21, 2005
    These news sound great and also interesting. Having the new series be set between ROTS and ANH was the most logical choice since it won't conflict with the post-ROTJ era which the ST will deal with and that title sounds good; guess that the rebels will be the main characters then. The series will also have the possibility to resolve some TCW stuff that won't get closure in the bonus material so that's all good.

Grievousdude likes this.
  25. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    No young Han please. Let's pretend Starkiller never existed.

I'd rather explore mainly new characters and new stories, as their track record for tying eras/characters together hasn't been great.

At least we shouldn't have the same issues of ignoring canon as TCW did ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.