main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit STAR TOURS canon, retcons official Blog entry!

Discussion in 'Literature' started by CeiranHarmony, Aug 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    I don't mind Star Tours being worked into continuity, but I'm not a fan of things like dropping a DS3 in the post-Endor scenario without any elaboration. And the Earth System part is simply terrible: I would have enjoyed it if the rest of the article wasn't in full continuity patch mode but, as it stands... No. Just no.

fistofan1 likes this.
  2. Loupgarou

Loupgarou Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 19, 2010
    Take away the Earth system part and i'll roll with it, however silly another death star is. What if it's just a really realistic hologram being used for training purposes by the rebels? Yea, that's it.

Gorefiend likes this.
  3. Bib Fartuna

Bib Fartuna Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 4, 2012
    Really? Are you super cereal?

4. CeiranHarmony

CeiranHarmony Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 10, 2004
    actually given continuity mess Dark Horse produces with the new Star Wars series and Death Star 2... Death Star 3 is the solution to at least some issues they created there if it goes like this:

DS1 design is complete and superlaser tests worked. Palpatine orders a second Death Star even before the first is ready. This we see in the new Star Wars comic labeled DS2. But upon DS1's destruction a redesign was required turning it to be in the end larger and not sharing the same flaws as DS1 (but bigger ones I know :p). Thus they stripmined the unfinished DS2 which was an exact copy of DS1 of what they could and started DS2 construction shortly after the new SW series anew. Dumping the unfinished "empty" shell of former DS2 somewhere lacking most internal systems. This of course is a pure win for Grand Admiral Zaarin who finds it, completes it in secret... yet not before his untimely demise. So former Zaarin followers finish it post mortem of their Grandadmiral and employ it shortly after ROTJ with the rebels exploiting the same flaw easily again as with DS1.Tie in some more Glove of Darth Vader, Emperors Hands, Dark Forces Saga references and there you go.
    Thus DS3 is proto-DS2... much like the Lusankya is Proto-Executor... or the Death Star from Jedi Academy Trilogy is Proto-DS1 testbed.

CaptainPeabody and Plaristes like this.
  5. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    The problem really is not that the Empire was building yet another one, more that no one ever mentioned it again later. Oh and Earth system should just be made to be derived from some strange acronym

6. Bib Fartuna

Nov 4, 2012
    Such as "Eat All Raw Tauntauns Hungrily"?

7. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004
    Or Esselian Alliance for Responsible Tourism and Hospitality [face_dunno]

8. CeiranHarmony

May 10, 2004
    "Expeditionary And Refugee Transport Hub"-System... one of the Refugee Relief Movements major rerouting systems for streams of refugees in times of crisis located on a major hyperlane with connections to far off regions which is why expeditions use the same hub for their travels. Given up by the Movement when the Empire took over control and now reopened by Star Tours... right next to the Imperial Transport Hubs of KDY.

well.. so far for my fanon acronym

9. fistofan1

fistofan1 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2009
    Eh, I'm not a fan of the "everything is canon" policy in this instance. I've always just considered the big points, like the existence of the Star Tours company itself, to be part of the SWU. The missions were always, in my mind, just part of the ride and were not meant to be taken seriously. As much as I appreciate LFL's attempt to make continuity more cohesive, I'm not going to include the Earth System or the DS III in my personal canon.

Bib Fartuna likes this.
  10. Bib Fartuna

Nov 4, 2012
    Sounds like an anti-act of Faith ;)

11. fistofan1

fistofan1 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2009
    What can I say. At some point, things just start getting ridiculous ;)

12. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I don't mind some easter egg world being named after Earth -- Terra or Gaia or a Sol system or anything like that, so long as it's not actually intended to be earth in anything but name (and MAYBE visually).

13. Bib Fartuna

Nov 4, 2012
    That sounds like Battlestar Galactica.

14. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Not... exactly. ;)

But you know spoiler alert blah blah :p

15. CeiranHarmony

May 10, 2004
    we all know that Battlestar Galactica... the good old one, not the crappy reboot that sucks... is the future of Star Wars!

16. Tzizvvt78

Tzizvvt78 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 12, 2009
    No, but now we have an origin for all those Earth animals like ducks, horses, lions, wolves, falcons, etc. that show up in canon. :p

It could also explain the disappearance of at least one of these two so-called "peaceful" habitation spheres from The Illustrated Guide to the Star Wars Universe:

[​IMG]

I know this isn't the exact image, since the book version showed mainly the one on the left, but it'd still be a nice retcon for a future article... :cool:

The Venator was the symbol of the early, "good" Empire. I would welcome a retcon with Palpatine keeping a fleet of them around his headquarters as a PR measure. It's not like the Imperial-class completely floors the Venator-class in power. The Empire keeps the Rendili Dreadnaughts around, they're worse off than the Venator would ever be.

The Earth system has a full view of the galaxy, our system it ain't.

CeiranHarmony likes this.
  17. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Aren't Dreadnoughts pretty close to Victory-class in power and capability?

The smaller Strike-class cruisers are roughly half as capable as Victory-class ships- at least, going by the Order of Battle.

18. Tzizvvt78

Tzizvvt78 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 12, 2009
    I remember there were three Dreadnaughts to one ISD in one of the Thrawn novels, and they didn't believe they'd win against it. The New Rebellion had three state-of-the-art MC cruisers fighting against three Victorys and struggling. In the ROTJ novel the MCs were almost on par with ISDs. The Victory and Venator were more similar in capabilities than the Dreadnaught and Victory and closer to the ISD, overall.

19. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Dark Force Rising, p127:

The New Republic had a fair number of Dreadnoughts, and at six hundred metres long each they were impressive enough warships. But even three of them working together would be hard pressed to take out an Imperial Star Destroyer.

(edited quote)

20. JMM

JMM Author: The Forgotten War, SW Fact File star 3 VIP

Jul 9, 1998
    I will say that if I had been allowed to elaborate on the origins of "Death Star III", I likely wouldn't have just made it another Death Star. But I at least wanted to leave what was said about it vague to allow for a future explanation. I didn't come up with one answer, but my instinct is to make it kind of a funny explanation. How about a giant balloon? :)

And from my perspective, I also would rather the "Earth system" was not the one with OUR Earth in it. In fact, since Star Tours is not outside the SW galaxy, it really can't be our Earth, right? But everyone should be happy I didn't mention a joking reference made at the new Star Tours grand opening to the Anaheim system!

Other than those somewhat questionable items, I still don't see much reason not to include the ride in the Expanded Universe canon. But I also think we can ignore things like the OTHER Battle of Hoth or the old ships about Coruscant. But since there is no single version of the ride in the theme parks, I'd say none of the scenarios should be nailed down as the "real" one.

21. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Regarding the Earth system--I could care less if there happens to be a system in the GFFA with that name, considering that "a galaxy far, far away" is on pretty solid ground, canonically speaking. ;)

blackmyron likes this.
  22. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    The Venator is a lot flatter than the Victory and Imperial class though- which may mean a smaller reactor than that of the Victory.

23. rezpen

rezpen Jedi Master star 4

May 4, 2010
    Don't know how many people have seen this but the rides creators actually did have a conversation with GL trying to weave the story of ST2 into canon and he basically told them to ignore canon and just worry about making it as fun as possible. One cool thing you see from the original tying to follow canon idea is that the space battle of Coruscant (@16:50) was a mix of both OT and PT ships.

fistofan1 likes this.
  24. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    The Empire keeps them around in the Rim -- they're backwards cast-offs. Imperial Center has its own sector group of Imperial Star Destroyers, as well as Azure Shield and Azure Hammer Commands on close recall. The sources depicting Imperial Center always show a heavy Imperial Navy presence, full of the most modern ships available. Yet we're to believe the only ships around during a neo-Seppie attack were those outdated ones, and painted in Republic colors, too?

The Empire did NOT laud the Old Republic -- it presented as corrupt and past its prime. The only use the Empire had for it was a government that was once great and had lost its way. The notion of the Emperor keeping around Venators painted in Republic colors (something he changed right after the war, I'll note!) goes against everything we've seen about Imperial propaganda. The Empire shows its most beneficent face in the Core, yes, but the whole notion is supposed to be that it's the Empire that's good, not the remnants of the Old Republic.

It would be a terrible retcon and it would be terribly unwelcomed on my part, but I think retcons can be an incredibly shallow way to try to fit in every single possible thing we can possible fit into this jam-packed box that we call continuity. I would wish for just a little discipline and restraint once in a while -- just an acknowledgement that some things are just for fun. Sometimes it's just not worth it if it messes up too much stuff, and here I'd say the losses are not worth the potential gains.

And that's the crux of the matter. It's not that it's impossible to retcon -- it just shouldn't be. Just because we can doesn't mean we should.

blackmyron and darklordoftech like this.
  25. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004

Soldier of the Empire mentioned that the New Hope (a refitted Rebel Dread) should be able to fight a Vic to a standstill.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.