main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit A/V The Force Awakens and the EU [TAGGED spoilers.]

Discussion in 'Literature' started by TypoCelchu, Oct 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jeff_Ferguson

Jeff_Ferguson Force Ghost star 5

May 15, 2006
    Where'd you find Nihl, Deliah, Sigel, and Krayt? They always go for really hefty sums on eBay.

2. newdawn12

newdawn12 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2013
  3. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    I don't have the $$$ to get any of those figures, except Mara, whom I already have. Kriffing Jacen is $150!

4. Darth_Henning

Darth_Henning Jedi Master star 4

Jun 1, 2007
    Something to keep in mind though is that at this point, we don't know that it actually hasn't been. Its unusual for a movie script these days to take over a year to write after it's first announced to the public.

I doubt that LOTF and FOTJ can be salvaged (not that that's a disastrous loss), too much happens in-universe in way to short a period of time, but pretty much everything else from the EU could be salvaged in some form or another with minimal complications. So....who knows...

I am SO glad that I picked up the ones of these I wanted when they came out. Emperor's Black Bones those are expensive now. Had never realized that.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  5. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    Well, whatever happens, even if the Expanded Universe is killed off and consigned to the wastelands of oblivion, a New Canon will arise from the ashes, stronger, more powerful than ever before, and when Episode IX comes to be written, the Voice of Chee shall smite the film purists, and declare that all things must henceforth obey the Will of the New Canon, even if that New Canon is a game or a comic book, and so shalt the films be subject to the New Canon, and the Expanded Universe shall have its revenge, maybe not in this life, but in the next, striking fear into the hearts of all film purists. [face_skull]

(Okay, so in reality I'm sure they'll backtrack on that "It all is equal!" claim the minute Episode VIII came out, but for the time being I shall entertain myself at the ideas :p)

GrandMasterKatarn and Iron_lord like this.
  6. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 20, 2010
    If people forgive the repetition, I'm gonna copy the post I made over in the ep VII forum on the subject. I believe the outcome from Disney can now be broken down into approximately 5 different outcomes. Some of which I'm going to be more content with than others...

As an added point, I'd like to suggest that Cade's adventures in the Legacy comics could potentially survive if they choose options 1 or 2, (for 3, we'd have to assume there's some 'other' off screen Vong invasion, which is a stretch) simply because it happens far enough down the timeline. Heck, Legacy 'started' (and planning began on it even earlier) when the latest novels were the Dark Nest trilogy. It can survive perfectly fine without LOTF and FOTJ.

Valin__Kenobi, BigAl6ft6 and Zorrixor like this.
  7. Zorrixor

Sep 8, 2004
    Yeah, I've often felt that. You don't even need the NJO to survive, as you just need some aliens to have captured Hett once.

There's that one line about Jaina and Jagged once, but it's not like that'd be a big retcon to say that's ignored now -- bigger things happened to TTT after TPM.

GrandMasterKatarn and Iron_lord like this.
  8. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    SW Legacy would be like the Thrawn trilogy talking about the Clone Wars. It isn't a big deal.

9. Guy-Gone_Weird

Guy-Gone_Weird Jedi Master star 2

Jul 28, 2003
    HEDGESMFG One thing I haven't seen discussed much is the possibility of a time-jump in the trilogy. I mean, what if Episode VII takes place before the YV invasion, then Episode VIII takes place 10 years later? They did it with the prequels, and the Dark Knight trilogy to name a few, so it seems entirely possible to me.

A lot may depend on what the story is going to be about. If it really is about some return of the Sith as some rumors claim, then there's no real harm in having the YV war be an off-screen "between movies" event, as it wouldn't really impact the story of the sequels in a direct way. They also don't have to discuss any of what transpired unless it directly affected the main characters. I think options 3 or 2 are my personal preference. I'm okay losing the Legacy era and maybe the NJO, but the Bantam era is what I grew up with and I think that even non-EU fans have an idea of who Thrawn and Mara Jade are.

There's a lot of contradictory rumors about the Lucasfilm Story Group going around that say either they intend to wipe out past EU canon or try to adapt it, and I'm of the opinion that they are adapting it as best they can - why else would they have been working on it all this time if it's as simple as wiping out everything? I even remember that Lucas' son talked about how his father had spent a long while researching and preparing the sequel ideas before the Disney sale. Researching what? He created Star Wars, what would Lucas need to research? My guess - the EU stories and characters. Maybe I'm being to optimistic, but I think there's some kind of effort here to respect at least some of what came before.

Valin__Kenobi likes this.
  10. son_of_skywalker03

son_of_skywalker03 Force Ghost star 4

Dec 7, 2003
    You can guarantee there will be some time jumps. It's just a matter of to what degree?

11. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    The prequels had a time jump because Anakin was 9, and Anakin was 9 because Lucas wanted to depict him as an innocent child and subject him to a traumatic separation from his mother at an early age to inform his characterization.

I doubt we'll see a child protagonist in the ST, and consequently we probably won't see a time jump exceeding the real time between films, e.g. SW-TESB was 3 years and AOTC-ROTS was 3 years.

12. Zorrixor

Sep 8, 2004
    After the fallout from Anakin in TPM, I'd be very doubtful of a child protagonist this time either, yeah. Disney may do kids films, but they also do Pirates, Marvel, etc.

I keep looking at Harrison Ford on some TV adverts recently and thinking... damn, you're old dude! Which has kinda left me expecting a later than earlier setting.

13. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 20, 2010
    I doubt we'll see a time jump be used as a means to save canon, though it is possible. However, the Vong war had implications that were far too large to have it happen between films and just ignore it. If it's going to be saved, it'll be treated as backstory to a time period that's 35ABY+, I think.

I do think saving it is a pretty good idea. There'd be no need to mention Anakin Skywalker directly, and a Chewbacca survival retcon (which is inevitable if the EU does survive) couldn't be worse than Maul's survival and would probably be written offscreen while the audience never knows he was gone. But if it's saved it's better to establish a world that's had a least a 6-7+ years to recover from the invasion, so as to minimize the impact somewhat.

Personally, if they save the NJO and Bantam era, I'll actually be quite happy. If they save everything, I'll be ecstatic. If they save at least the Bantam characters and stories, I'll be satisfied, and if they toss out 'everything' post ROTJ, I'll be somewhat miffed.

And if they toss out everything? Outright decanonize?

Heads will roll, and they won't see a cent of money for ep VII+ from me.

Darth_Henning and Zorrixor like this.
  14. newdawn12

Feb 9, 2013
    What if they save the characters, but not the stories?

Darth Xalfrea likes this.
  15. Zorrixor

Sep 8, 2004
    Although I do not expect (and sincerely hope there isn't) a big time jump between films, I think you can leapfrog the Vong war, albeit to those who care about the NJO they'd dislike that.

I mean, LOTF exists, and half the reason people bashed it was the dislike at the lack of fallout from the war. Or you've got stories like Crosscurrent and Riptide, that are almost a "sequel" to Jedi Academy the video game, but can be read and understood perfectly fine by someone who has the most fleeting knowledge of anything else that happened in the period between.

Iron_lord likes this.
  16. RC-1991

RC-1991 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2009

No thanks. The stories involving those characters inform their characterizations. Strip them of that, and you have an empty name and appearance without what made that character special in the first place.

Valin__Kenobi and Nom von Anor like this.
  17. newdawn12

Feb 9, 2013
  18. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
  19. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    He looks like a sociopath... but that may just be Breaking Bad talking :p

Revanfan1 likes this.
  20. windu4

windu4 Jedi Master star 4

May 15, 2008
  21. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Maybe he's Cade Skywalker. Would go well with the Breaking Bad angle.

JoinTheSchwarz , CooperTFN and windu4 like this.
  22. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    Yeah I was going to say LOTF did a pretty good job of pretending the YV War didn't exist.

Zeta1127 likes this.
  23. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    If Meth Damon is a Skywalker I'm out.

windu4 and Barriss_Coffee like this.
  24. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

what if he's a Solo?

25. Zorrixor