main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Resource Earth Words and Their Star Wars Equivalents - a helpful index for writers

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by DarthThesaurus, Feb 15, 2007.

1. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    Would the expression "backrocket" work? I've seen it used for planets mostly, but it might also work to describe people, customs, etc...

Ewok Poet and Chyntuck like this.
  2. Goodwood

Goodwood Jedi Master star 5

May 11, 2011
    I can't help think of Obi-Wan saying "...so uncivilized." To me that seems quite the appropriate GFFA substitute. ;)

Chyntuck and gracesonnet like this.
  3. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    the translation of what we call Mohawk in Sweden is cook/roster-crest, maybe it is called something similar in SW?

Sound like something GrandAdmiralJello should know

Chyntuck likes this.
  4. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    Thanks guys (and gal ;)) Backrocket sounds good, I think I'll go with it.

After some browsing on the Wook, I see that "mohawk" is actually used for in-universe descriptions, so I might simply keep it, but somehow it feels wrong :confused:

5. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    You could also use 'rimmer' for somebody from any part of the Rim

6. gracesonnet

gracesonnet Jedi Knight star 2

May 20, 2014
    So: "birthday," "naming/name day," or "life day?" Or something else? "Life day" seems like it's actually an official holiday, a la Memorial Day or something. It also calls to mind the Star Wars holiday special and I still can't break my mind of that association.
    But naming day/name day reminds me of Game of Thrones too much.

Can I just use "birthday"?

7. Goodwood

May 11, 2011
    When it's become relevant, I've used the term "lifeday" just as a diminutive like "birthday," as something that just about anyone growing up on a "civilized" world would use. Life Day is a very specific thing—it being, for all intents and purposes, the Wookiee version of Christmas but held once every three years. Given how insular the Wookiees are about their culture (this is established in several works, including KotOR and the Han Solo trilogy by A.C. Crispin), only sharing it with trusted outsiders, I can't imagine that a whole heap of ordinary folks would even know it exists.

But hey, birthday works fine, just remember that not all species in the GFFA give birth to live young.

8. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    I would say it depend upon the culture. Not all cultures celebrate birthdays or name day (name day used to be big were I live but not so much anymore), for all we know spacers celebrate the day they made their first hyperjump.
    So what culture are we speaking about?

EDIT: Goodwood I would not use KotOR as an example for modern wookiee culture since it take place over a thousand years ago.

9. Goodwood

May 11, 2011
    Almost four thousand years, actually. But yeah, it does depend on culture. I can imagine more cosmopolitan cultures such as the citizens of most Republic worlds would adopt more neutral terms such as "lifeday" as opposed to "birthday" for mammalian species, "hatching day" for egg-layers, or "budding day" for those species that reproduce by parthenogenesis. It's a tricky balancing act, as you know... ;)

Gamiel likes this.
  10. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Maybe word day? The day you said your first word.
    Or in cultures who have a important ritual in which you pas into adulthood maybe that is celebrated?

11. Chyntuck

Jul 11, 2014
    gracesonnet I'm using birthday (but that issue of species not giving birth to live young is a fair point).

12. pronker

pronker Force Ghost star 4

Jan 28, 2007
    Chyntuck likes this.
  13. Goodwood

May 11, 2011
    Sadly, I don't think it does.

This shouldn't stop you from inventing such a tradition yourself. It could be something only done on one planet, or within one region of that planet, after all...I mean, most Brits don't celebrate Halloween, and the vast majority of Americans wouldn't know what the hell Bonfire Night even is, let alone what it's about. ;)

14. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Also: what do you mean with "a Halloween or equivalent"? What do you count in "Halloween or equivalent"?

15. Chyntuck

Jul 11, 2014
    jcgoble3 and Findswoman like this.
  16. gracesonnet

gracesonnet Jedi Knight star 2

May 20, 2014

Ah yes, this would be a "live young birth" situation (the character in question is Human). I can see your point about lifeday versus Life Day. Now I'm intrigued by all the possibilities.
    Thank you!

Goodwood likes this.
  17. Goodwood

May 11, 2011
    You're welcome!

18. Alice Elliot

Alice Elliot Jedi Youngling

Jan 5, 2015
    Hi everyone, I'm new, nice to meet ya.

I'm gonna be honest and say I'm usually okay handwaving on a lot of terms because yknow, I'm not being paid for writing this stuff and most of the small things won't throw people out of fic, but this one seems a little more important just for chronology and how often it would come up in everyday dialogue in the SW universe so I'm biting the bullet. I've googled this every way I could think of and had no luck, and I'm sure it's been asked somewhere here before but not that I found, so I apologize for any repetition, but:

How are hours of the day referred to? Are midnight and noon recognized? Is 2PM 1400 or 2 o'clock? Would 2AM be called something regency era-ish like second hour? Or could it be "two in the morning"? What times show up on Coruscant chronometers?

pronker likes this.
  19. Goodwood

May 11, 2011
    It's nearly universally done in military time, which is to say the 24-hour clock, so 2pm would be referred to as 1400 hours and 2am would be 0200. Mind you, this is going to be the case for spacers, people from "civilized" planets, Jedi and those in the Republic/Imperial/Rebel/New Republic/Galactic Alliance or Sith militaries. People from planets outside of the "civilized" galaxy may use different clocks, particularly if you are working with an original species/culture that lives on a planet with a different length day.

So while going with the 24-hour clock is the safest bet, don't be afraid to get inventive if you need to.

Chyntuck likes this.
  20. Alice Elliot

Alice Elliot Jedi Youngling

Jan 5, 2015
    Thank you so much!

Goodwood likes this.
  21. Chibi_Krayt

Chibi_Krayt Jedi Padawan

Dec 2, 2015
    Any idea what would be a safe equivalent to "guinea pig", in a laboratory experiment context? I almost went with something like "lab womp rat" before remembering that they're supposed to be like 10 feet long... talk about imperfect comparisons. 0.o

I guess I could go with something like "test gizka", but I'm curious if anyone knows of an existing EU term, because I like consistency. Or is "lab rat" good enough, since we see some real rats in Jabba's palace? I know the Earth animals on Dagobah were later explained away as lookalikes, eg. calling a monitor a sleen or something like that. I don't know about the rats though. *cough*

22. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Lab rat sounds good, you could maybe go with 'test rat' as in you do the tests on the rat.

Chibi_Krayt likes this.
  23. pronker

pronker Force Ghost star 4

Jan 28, 2007
    Hi and welcome - this is a fun playground. 'Second hour' and so forth I've read in many fics, although military time seems more common.[face_alien]

gracesonnet likes this.
  24. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    I'm going to tag leiamoody on this one, because she had a very interesting and creative version of the "nth-hour"-type system in one of her diary-format stories (the entries have titles like "written at half past the sixth veiled hour"). :cool:

25. Chyntuck

Jul 11, 2014
    What would be a good SW equivalent of "country bumpkin"? (Yes, I realise that I asked almost the same question on this very same page. I'm just looking for more/different ideas :p)