main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion How open ended should the ending of Ep. IX be?

Discussion in 'Star Wars: New Films - No Spoilers Allowed' started by Wrenegade, May 9, 2016.

1. Big Bad Yoda Daddy

Big Bad Yoda Daddy Force Ghost star 4

Mar 8, 2000
    It's crazy, but I believe you! What's even more, how many of us were absolutely certain that we had seen the end of cinematic Star Wars 10 years ago. I remember leaving RotS in 2005 all depressed because it was the last new Star Wars movie I would see. I saw it as many times in the theater as I could because I wasn't going to be able to see Star Wars in the theater anymore. What a time to be alive!~

2. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    I think it all depends if they are doing another trilogy,
    If they are then (IMO) they should/could leave alil open ended!
    If not, give us a full, non JJ Abrams ending!

3. TheOneX_Eleazar

TheOneX_Eleazar Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 24, 2013
    I can't say I remember exactly how I felt at the time, probably similar to you, but after some thought I also figured that once Lucas retired or died someone would take over who would want to make more Star Wars movies. Only being 16 in 2005 meant I would most likely see the day when it happened. Although I did not expect it to happen as quickly as it did.

4. Rax

Rax Jedi Master star 3

May 1, 2015

I'm not sure I understand what you mean with start a new saga. Do you mean like, a saga set in an entirely different time than this? For example a KOTOR saga, or like a continuation of this saga by starting a new saga.. Eh.

Anyhow, I'm not entirely sure how I feel about this, but I'd say put as an open ending as return of the jedi was and it's cool. As for future movies in the saga, right now I feel like there shouldn't be an episode 10, but rather maybe a KOTOR trilogy or something similiar. I'm very uncertain about this topic though.

5. Dark Ferus

Dark Ferus Chosen One star 8

Jul 29, 2016
    Here are the ways I would accept a new trilogy:

Kylo kills Snoke and becomes supreme leader

Rey becomes leader of Jedi and/or resistance after the death of Luke/Leia

Snoke is revealed to be Plagueis and revives the Sith

Rey dies and Finn must take her place

6. episodenone

episodenone Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 13, 2001
    So many of you guys... sheesh.

Of course the movies will continue -- and of course you will buy your tix the day every single film is released as long as you live.

THAT is why you are here. So short sighted to think anything other that. My biggest fear is being on my death bed and being told about the newest unreleased trilogy and knowing that I'll never see it.

7. Nehru_Amidala

Nehru_Amidala Force Ghost star 7

Oct 3, 2016
    I want there to be a definite end. So we can get closure and a first rate ending. Leave the rest to a new EU book series.

8. WriterMan

WriterMan Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2012

I very much doubt that'll happen (not that I wouldn't want it). Disney made a huge investment and I know they plan to make quite a bit back on it.

Luke'sSeveredHand likes this.
  9. Darth Basin

Darth Basin Jedi Master star 5

Aug 15, 2015
    Death of Kylo in 9 with a Rey Random reveal in 8 I say end it. Kylo lives and Rey Skywalker is the last Jedi I say 1 last trilogy.

10. The Vanguard

The Vanguard Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 12, 2016
    Yes to all of that. Except instead of Finn replacing Rey, he aids in the development of a new hero, similar to the hero of Tython.

Darth Basin likes this.
  11. emanswfan

emanswfan Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 2, 2016
    I'd kinda hope for something similar to the ROTS ending. Yes there is a definitive end to the most crucial aspects, but with little hints of what is to come. In one word: bittersweet. Difference would be not knowing what actually lies ahead vs for many in ROTS people knew what would folllow, having already seen the OT. An ending like this would be wholly more exciting when you don't know what happens going forward.

I just hope there's a good 10 years between trilogies. It wouldn't be right to have it follow so soon after.

I'm well hoping they start a new saga someday, probably after Episode XII. With how expansive the SW universe can be, I see no reason to always stay somewhat connected to the same set of people and stories.

12. Big Bad Yoda Daddy

Big Bad Yoda Daddy Force Ghost star 4

Mar 8, 2000

I certainly wouldn't mind seeing them visit the Old Republic for a good trilogy or so before heading back to this timeline.

13. Keycube

Keycube Jedi Master star 2

Jan 19, 2009
    I'm not sure what I really want from Ep9 (other than something that definitely is NOT a buttoned-up, happy ending), but I do know the prospect of the franchise's future makes me nervous.

Just like a rock band that grows older has a hard time tapping into their initial motivations because their perspective on the world is different, Star Wars became derivative with ROTJ; and although we had some new ideas from the PT, pretty much all of the essential building blocks of what Star Wars is, were in place with ANH and TESB, and a young, motivated, and focused George Lucas.

Unless someone steps up as that new visionary, I admit I fear the future a bit. We've already been exposed to something magical, and you can't put that back in the box. And there is no doubt that CGI's influence in regards to hands-on filmmaking (and acting), has made for a very different animal in terms of visual and storyline compromises (and for us faux-engineering freaks, just giving us proper weight-bearing designs with realistic packaging).

I'm resigned to the notion of having already seen the best that Star Wars will ever have to offer. And I'm not complaining, I feel LUCKY to be able to say that. But the thought of a watered-down version of the love of my life makes me sad.

Sorry, kind of went off the beaten path there, but it was just a stream of consciousness.

As Always, IMHO.

ZodaEX likes this.
  14. Martoto77

Martoto77 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 6, 2016
    Keycube That was sort of how I felt before The Force Awakens. I'm not saying it's a visionary film or that it should be every Star Wars fan's cup of tea either.

But as far as the rhythms of the Star Wars episodic saga are concerned, it felt more like it. Like a band getting its mojo back on stage after spending perhaps too much time in the studio.

The word about Rogue One's reception and the nature of its conception, with people at LFL willing to step up and say "that's not good enough, try this" and, more importantly, people there willing to listen, fills me with encouragement too.

Not that this wasn't case beforehand. I wouldn't know.

15. Jar-Jar Binks

Jar-Jar Binks SWC Late Show With JJB Host star 8 VIP - Game Host

Nov 17, 2016
    I think it depends on how long a break they'll take until EpX, which I assume they'll do. If they wait ten years then I say wrap it up.

16. dva3842

dva3842 Jedi Master star 1

Apr 2, 2008
    haha, clifhanger ending for Ep IX, segueing immediately the following year to Ep. X "Star Wars: The Clones of Vader"!.

17. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Eventually we'll come to Ep XXX: State of the Republic

Darth Basin and CowMoo like this.
  18. Martoto77

Aug 6, 2016
    Episode IX will end with ghost Yoda v ghost Sidious - the rematch.

Lulu Mars likes this.
  19. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    Open ended or not, I do hope the ending is somewhat unpredictable.

The Vanguard and TheOneX_Eleazar like this.
  20. Martoto77

Aug 6, 2016
    Like Finn riding a tauntaun and stumbling upon the statue of liberty sticking out of the snow.. ;)

21. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    YES!! Exactly like that! :)

22. Darth Basin

Darth Basin Jedi Master star 5

Aug 15, 2015
    Did we finally really do it? You Maniacs! You blew it up! **** you! God! **** you all to ****!

Then the Smurfs crawl out of Liberty's nose.

GregMcP and Martoto77 like this.
  23. Martoto77

Aug 6, 2016
    I would like to refer back to my previous answer - If it doesn't end with Poe Dameron smashing his forehead against a mirror and repeating "How's Annie?" over and over, like Lynch wanted to episode VI to end if he had directed it, then I'll be very disappointed.

I would also like to see Kylo Ren fall from a balcony to his apparent death but then his body will have vanished. Followed by .a montage of shots of the Doyle house, the Wallace house and finally the Myers house with Vader's breathing played over the top.

Darth Basin likes this.
  24. Martoto77

Aug 6, 2016
    Staying on a JC tip.

After a climactic battle in the snow (again), Rey and Ren fall down exhausted. Neither is sure if the other has fallen to the darkside or pulled back to the light. Whether they are friend or enemy. They discuss what should happen next -

Rey - If you're my enemy, then I don't think we're in any shape to do anything about it right now,

Ren - Well. Let's just sit here for a while. To see what happens.

Ren pulls a bottle of J&B out of his coat pocket. Takes a belt. Hands it to Rey. She swigs from it.

They both smile

The End

KEEP WATCHING THE SKIES!!!

25. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    The more I think about it, the more I'm convinced that Episode IX will end in a cliffhanger, or at least a ROTS-style "sad" ending. I'm sure they'll make an Episode X-XII. Disney wouldn't want to just stop cold turkey. Not as long as SW films are still bringing in well over a billion dollars per release. That would be a dumb move from a business standpoint. I'm sure they'll want to keep going as long as people are still interested in SW (like that will EVER stop! :p)

But there's definitely some bankable storytelling opportunity there. I could be wrong, but given how things seem to be progressing in this ST, and given also what we've learned up to this point about the tone of TLJ and the state of the galaxy at this time, even after TLJ they'll still have quite a ways to go to resolving things, to the point that it feels like it will take more than just one more episode after that to fully resolve it and wrap the story up in a nice pretty bow.

Now, as to whether they will continue right away, or wait several years before starting with a new trilogy (presumably with our new "big three" taking over as the main focus) is anyone's guess. If I had my way in all of this, and if LFL called me up and asked what they should do, I would say end Episode IX with a positive note, but with that door left open just a crack for the possibility of the story to continue. It would give us closure after this trilogy, while still keeping us wondering what's coming next. Then wait a few years for Ep. X-XII, and explore some other ideas for spinoffs, or even a different trilogy or something. Then, have the new saga trilogy take place several (even perhaps like 10 or so) years later, bringing back Rey, Finn, Poe, etc. to "continue the adventure," as it were...

Sarge likes this.