main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga - PT Code Breaker: The Journal of Kash Ferros (DDC 2017) concluded 12/27

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by divapilot, Jan 2, 2017.

1. Lady_Misty

Lady_Misty Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 21, 2007
    Our Kash is growing up; I'm so proud!

Gentle rains are good and even preferred by farmers because they water the ground/plants without damaging them while heavier rains could wash the seeds out or drown them, thunderstorms carry the risk of hail and a downpour and a week of rain rarely is good unless there was a lack of water and the rain is gentle but if you need to harvest the plants then there could be trouble.

Kahara, divapilot and Ewok Poet like this.
  2. Mira Grau

Mira Grau Force Ghost star 5

May 11, 2016
    So the Jedi farms supply the clone army? Intersting I had always wondered were all of this food would go they produce.

Its nice to see Kash starts accepting his new role more and more.
    He defenetly grows up and its good that he tries to become a role model for the younger ones.
    Though it seems he still hasn´t given up the hope that he can return to the temple completly.
    I´m curious how this goes on. Nice chapter. :)

3. Mira_Jade

Mira_Jade The (FavoriteTM) Fanfic Mod With the Cape star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jun 29, 2004
    Oh, I'm so very happy for Kash! [face_love][face_love] He's finding his place - and what a place it is! There's an importance in what he does, and I'm glad that he's embracing it. I too have to echo fascination that he's feeding the clone army - he's contributing to a very large circle, and, in his own way, helping the galaxy. I'm adoring the good influence he's having on Saleris, too - they're both growing up, and I'm thrilled to see it!

You're telling a fantastic story, once again, and I am eager to read more! :) =D=

4. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    Catch-up time! [face_blush] I had started a comment for entry 3 some days ago, but it got eaten when I inadvertently closed the browser. So I’ll try again

I have to second what the others have said about the way the rain enhances the mood of this chapter—it kind of put me in mind of the similar use of rain in the opening acts of the PC game Gemini Rue. I really feel for Saleris here (gaah, I keep wanting to type “Salieri”)—there are few things as dispiriting as that feeling that one’s last chance is creeping up on one, and I wonder if he will end up drowning or floating in the end. Once again, it’s so neat how he and Kash respond to that same feeling in such different ways.

Quinnus’s advice to Kash puts me in mind of that stunning line from Milton: “They also serve who only stand and wait.” Which is true, of course: all those people who do seemingly ho-hum things like farming food are doing immensely important work. All those Knights fighting out on the battlefield can’t fight on an empty stomach, can they? But of course it can’t be an easy thing for Kash to hear. I too would be curious to know how Quinnus ended up where he is now. Kash repeats again and again that his master is “a good man,” and I wonder if that might be a big part of it: Quinnus’s kind, caring, patient nature is no doubt a huge asset to him in working with and getting through to the “not quites” of the Jedi Order. He no doubt has gone for similar walks under the oliviara trees with others of his students too.

Things are beginning to look up! The fact that Saleris has made so much improvement seems like a good sign—he’s happier and no longer falling so much prey to dejection. And Quinnus is right: he has an excellent role model in Kash’s quiet patience, which I’m sure is a lot of what leads to good results with the children Kash looks after.

Kash seems to have a pretty remarkable ability for figures and business, and I’ll be intrigued to see where that will lead him. That was, of course, one of his “strengths” he mentioned in the very first entry, though back then it was so “in passing” that I didn’t guess that it would turn up again later. You did mention in one of your comment responses above that Kash will turn out to have a gift that neither he nor Master Quinnus anticipates, and I am beginning to wonder if this is (at least part of) it. What a plum for him that he gets to be the one to introduce the visiting Jedi to the operations of the farm, and for Saleris too, since he gets to help out! I can really see this lifting both their spirits in a good way—there is nothing, nothing at all that has the power to lift one’s spirits as much as the feeling that one has a purpose.

Go Kash and Saleris—I’m rooting for you! :)

Kahara and divapilot like this.
  5. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    Argh, hate being the last, everybody said almost everything.

So, there is a nerdy side to Kash. Me likey, me likey. :) And he is slowly discovering his purpose - to help and nurture others, on whichever scale. He is a protector, but no material for a Jedi Guardian. His ways of protection are more likely to be non-violent (he even has that effect on Saleris!) and reaching far deeper.

Is it OK to assume that a significant amount of time passed between entries 3 and 4?

Kahara and Findswoman like this.
  6. Raissa Baiard

Raissa Baiard FFoF Artist Extraordinaire star 4 VIP - Game Host

Nov 22, 1999
    Wow, Kash is really starting to grow up! It's so good to read an entry where he's content with himself and starting to accept that he may not become a Jedi. It sounds like he's starting to realize the truth of Master Quinnus's words, that different is not lesser.

Kash sounds like he's an admirable young man. He's taking on extra duties, completing courses and using his talents to benefit the farm. He's respected by the other younglings and by Master Quinnus. He's starting to mature, and you can see that by the way his focus is no longer solely on himself and his wants. He's thinking of the other children and how he represents the farm first. He's realizing that he's good at what he does and that he actually enjoys it. That's a big step for him towards finding out where he truly belongs.
    This is such a huge realization for Kash, and huge shift in his attitude. He's finding out what really makes him happy and what he really wants, and letting go of old assumptions and even youthful dreams. It's been a painful process for him, but it looks like Kash is on the right path. :)

Once again, bravo for this portrait of young man who's growing and maturing. Kash is great character and I look forward to seeing more of him. =D=

Kahara, Findswoman and Ewok Poet like this.
  7. A Blind Prophet

A Blind Prophet Jedi Master star 4

Mar 25, 2016
    really enjoying this diva, you're writing has improved a lot since the last thing i read however many years ago that was. was always a pleasure, but it's much more so now. as i think someone else mentioned, there's a lovely subtlety to your writing, and i really appreciate and enjoy it.

so kash... i had a sneaking suspicion where you were going with this when you got to the third entry, and it was starting to seem like this was really his place. there can be a bigger difference made on salliche than he realizes, especially as an influence on the new teens coming in. be interesting to see where you take that whole thing. you definitely have a good voice here, very introspective and sincere. very honest.

looking forward to more. be fun to follow along on this journey.

Kahara, Ewok Poet and Findswoman like this.
  8. divapilot

divapilot Force Ghost star 4

Nov 30, 2005

Thanks for the reply and for the thoughtful insights into the farming life.[face_cowboy] Admittedly the closest I’ve been to farming is my backyard garden. I appreciate the help with the description. Yes, Kash is starting to settle into his reality. He hasn’t really given up entirely on his dream but he has decided that maybe what he has isn’t so bad after all.

Thank you! I figure the AgriCorps probably helps supply the clone army, the Jedi Temple and any other Jedi outposts, and they supply food to the surrounding systems, including Coruscant. Anything that the Jedi are in authority over, the AgriCorps probably feed. :)

Kash is starting to accept his life on the farm, and he is realizing that it really has its benefits. Some time has passed since the beginning of the story and he is really maturing. You’re right, he hasn’t given up hope completely of becoming a Knight, but he is becoming more realistic.[face_thinking]

Thank you so much! Kash and Saleris are a couple of unlikely buddies. Kash sees Saleris as a little brother and he feels responsible for him. They have become a family. Although Kash would still want to have the exciting life of the Jedi, he is starting to realize that the life he has is really pretty good and maybe this is home after all.[:D] I’m very happy that you like this story.

Thank you! I appreciate your comments very much. I was a little concerned that the rain was too cliché but I think I got away with it. I was more going for the cabin fever kind of feel rather than the rain reflecting his spirits. As for Saleris/Salieri/Salami, I had the Stevie Smith poem “Not Waving But Drowning” in mind – the desperation of someone’s absolute last chance at being saved. Saleris has finally figured out that there is nothing more to come, it’s the end of the road for him to become a Knight.:( That’s a tough pill to swallow, being washed up at 13. Kash has had longer to adjust to it.

Master Quinnus knows the dogma, he knows the Code and the things he is supposed to say. He also knows that these are very vulnerable kids and they need someone who still believes in them.[:D] I am sure he has walked that path under the oliviara trees many times with others. It’s his job to convince kids like Kash that “they also serve who only stand and wait,” and that the Knights are never alone – they depend on the people like Kash to complete their work. Without the food that the AgriCorps supplies, the Knights’ adventures would never be able to occur. o_O

There are many roles on the farm, which is more of a corporation than anything, and Kash seems suited for this challenge. The guys are very close, so when Kash has a chance to put in a good word for his friend Saleris, he gets it done. Kash may not be a big fish in a big pond as a Jedi Knight, but he can be a big fish in a little pond by learning how to run the business end of a farm as huge as an AgriCorp operation.o_O Thank you again for your thoughtful comments!

Thank you for your reply! I really appreciate it. Yes, there has been some time between 3 and 4. I would say at least a few months, possibly up to a year but no more than that. Kash is very laid back, although he feels things intently. He does act as a protector. His diligence in mentoring Saleris shows that he takes his protective side seriously. I agree that he is the kind of person who works intensely with individuals, advocating for small groups who are in need, rather than sweeping actions as you might find with Jedi Guardians. He’d rather protect a village than a planet, because he cares so deeply about every single one of the inhabitants as individuals that he knows personally. [face_love]

Thank you for the reply. Yes, he is starting to realize that he has a home, and it’s here with Saleris and Master Quinnus and the others in AgriCorps. He may still dream about adventure and excitement, but a Jedi craves not those things and Kash is starting to understand why. What is the point of adventure and excitement when you aren’t sharing it with someone you care about? He’d rather be with his friends after all. :)

Kash is growing up. He is realizing that the dream of being the dashing Jedi Knight is more illusion than reality, and he is discovering that he actually likes living in the country, in the slow, serene, peaceful life on the farm. These are his friends, his family. He has grown to the point where he would miss them terribly if he went back to Coruscant, and it is a revelation to him. Now Salliche is as much a home as Coruscant had been.[face_love]

Thank you! :D

Thanks for the comments and the reply. I’m glad you are enjoying this. Thank you! :D

Kash has spent the last four years desperate to leave Salliche and go back to Coruscant, and now that it’s a possibility, he realizes that he really doesn’t want to leave Salliche that badly after all. He’s grown to love it here, where it is calm and peaceful and where he can breathe easily. :) He is very attuned to the Living Force, and he finds serenity in the natural world. I hope you continue to enjoy Kash’s journey as a Jedi, as a protector, and as a survivor.

9. divapilot

Nov 30, 2005
    Entry 5.

We had the visitors from Coruscant today. Master Fisto came with about a dozen other Jedi. We took them on a tour of the fields and facilities and then we met back at the dormitories for midmeal. It was nice; we set the tables up in the arbor and we ate outdoors. Fresh bread baked in our own ovens, greens from our fields, meat from the nearby town. The sun was shining through the oliviara trees, and there was a soft breeze that cooled everyone down. There was such a feeling of fellowship. I was actually proud of what we accomplished. It was simple but it was from the heart.

You could feel the intensity in the Force. There was such good company and positivity that the Force was almost like you could touch it. It reminded me of when I was a kid, during my meditations in the Temple. The Force was a river and you could just step into it and feel it swirling all around you. That’s how it was when we sat down to share our meal. I was so proud of what we had accomplished and all the visitors really enjoyed themselves. Master Fisto said that they had never had such a delicious and generous meal and he personally thanked each of us for providing it.

We had all had such a great meeting that I was completely unprepared for the strange thing that happened later. I thought I had met everyone from the delegation, but later in the afternoon as I was checking some irrigation equipment in sector 107 I saw someone I didn’t recognize. He was about my age but not dressed in the crossover tunic that identifies a service order Jedi, but more like civilian clothes. He was a little taller than my height, with dark wavy hair like me. I am sure I didn’t see him before at the midmeal.

I went over to him and asked him if he was with the group or if he was from one of the farms, since the Salliche Agricultural Corporation had some adjunct members along too. He said he was from a farm. I didn’t recognize his accent.

“What do you grow?” I asked.

He brushed the hair out of his gray eyes. “We have a vineyard. We own a winery and sometimes we do a little hospitality when it’s tourist season.”

I frowned. Tourists? On Salliche? Who would come to Salliche? And a vineyard needs specialized soil and climate. “Is your farm part of the corporation? Are you part of the collective?” I asked him. Maybe SAC had a division I wasn’t aware of.

“No, it’s a family business. I live here with my mom and my stepdad. It belonged to his father, and now it’s ours.”

This was strange to me. Why would such a small operation like a family vineyard be represented on a major SAC consultation, along with Jedi who want to secure supplies for the Clone War? He must have seen the confusion on my face. He pointed toward the west. “That’s our house. See? My mom’s in the doorway.”

Now this is the weirdest part. I knew there was no house where he was pointing, but I looked anyway, and I swear I was being watched. I could feel this very odd sensation in the Force, like an electric tingle all over my skin. I raised my hand against the bright sunlight and squinted in the direction that he was waving, but I couldn’t see anything. “What’s your name?” I asked him.

“Silas,” he answered. “I was named after my father. He died before I was born. For a long time it was just me and my mom.” His serious attitude faded and he laughed lightly. “Then the boss’s son fell in love with her, and I guess she fell in love with him because they got married. Now I have a stepdad and two stepbrothers.”

I turned back to Silas. A broad smile slowly lit across his face. “Hey, are you hungry? It’s almost time for midmeal. Come join me. My mom makes this amazing jam with grannaberries, and she just baked some bread.”

I turned back to the west, where I had that strange feeling that someone was watching me. When I turned back to Silas, there was nobody there. Just the green grain rippling in the wind. It was as if the guy had never existed. Then I felt woozy and my knees buckled. I went down like I’d been slammed with a sack of rocks. I just lay there, watching the sky and the clouds and the birds all swirling around violent, crazy spirals, and tried unsuccessfully not to pass out completely.

That’s when I realized it was all a vision. Whenever I touch the Force, it leaves me weak and sick. It was a vision, but it was so real. I swear it was real.

When I finally got up from my involuntary midday nap in the middle of the grain field, I realized I must have been out for a while because the sun was beginning to set. I was wobbly and nauseous, but I staggered my way back to the dormitory. Saleris had been out looking for me, and when he saw me he asked if I wanted to go to the infirmary but I told him no. I just wanted to go to my bunk and lie down for a while. Saleris must have been worried about me because a few minutes later, Master Quinnus came in.

He pulled up a chair next to me and sat down. The tips of his montrails were twitching, making the blue stripes ripple, which is what he does when he’s concerned. I told him what happened. He was quiet before talking. “I know that we’ve discussed your visions in the Force before. But I don’t think that was a vision, Kash,” he told me somberly. “I think you experienced something rarer. In a vision, you are a witness, an outsider. But in this, you actually interacted with someone. You were there.”

“But how could I be there – wherever there was – when obviously I’m still here?”

He frowned. “There is a very rare technique called distance projection. It’s claimed that those who master it can actually travel along timelines and insert their Force presence into another place and time. You may have gone to a planet across the galaxy. You might have been fifty years in the future or two hundred years in the past. Of course, your body was here on the farm, but you appeared as a projection of yourself somewhere else.”

That made my head hurt even more. “Isn’t that dangerous? What if I get stuck there? Or what if I do something to change the way time works?”

He shook his head. “I don’t know, Kash. I will meditate and study on this, and I recommend you do the same.”

“So who was that guy and why did I meet him? What was it all for?”

Master Quinnus shrugged. “I don’t know. The Force can be inscrutable. Perhaps you were supposed to learn something from him. Perhaps you were there to teach something to him. But we must trust that there is a reason and it will eventually be revealed in the right time and place.” He stood up and patted my shoulder. “Rest now. I will get someone to cover your shifts. But you must learn to recognize the signs that such an event is going to occur so as to prepare yourself for the next one.”

Honestly, I hope there never is a next event. Once was enough for me.

10. Lady_Misty

Mar 21, 2007
    An interesting ability that can't be called a gift or a curse.

My head would hurt if I tried to think of all the possible ramifications of potentially projecting myself to another time or another universe and what would happen if I got stuck their.

Ewok Poet and divapilot like this.
  11. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    Yowza, was that one trippy experience! :eek: At least Silas seems like a friendly and hospitable person—but was he really there? And was his house really there? Or was it not? I'm not even sure what "there" means at this point, just because this not-quite-vision-but-not-quite-real experience is so hard to classify (and the implications are indeed staggering—Silas may not even have been from the same time as Kash!). And of course I wonder, too, what set the whole thing off to begin with—was it just one of those "untapped power manifesting itself in surprising ways in a less experienced Force user" type situations? Or something external to Kash? I read the start of the scene again and couldn't find any particular clues about anything in the latter category, but I may have missed something all the same. Quinnus says that one can learn to recognize the "signs" that this is about to happen; kind of like a migraine aura, I guess? What are the signs, I wonder? Like Kash, I'm hoping this kind of "event" doesn't happen anymore than it needs to, because it sounds mooie disorienting and disconcerting!

You mentioned earlier that Kash is going to end up discovering a very unique talent, and I am starting to think we might be seeing it here for the first time—very, very cool! Looking forward to seeing how what he will do (or won't do) with this newfound ability. :cool:

Ewok Poet and divapilot like this.
  12. Mira Grau

May 11, 2016
    That's an interesting skill Kash is developing there.
    To send his conciousness to space and time. I wonder if he was on Marfa for a moment as Silas mentioned family property and tourism.

Also a nice little cameo from master Fisto its good to see the Jedi knights don't completly ignore the farmers.
    A nice new chapter. :)

13. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    There is a lot hidden in this entry, it's like a little goldmine to dig through. =D= Doesn't help that it's the longest one so far. :p

Kash's idealistic vision of things did not clash with anything this time around - perhaps because this kind of unity and this kind of oneness with others is more up his alley than what would be expected of a fully-trained Jedi.

...the river can either sink below the ground or flow into a sea or an ocean. And each of those things can have that "from a certain point of a view" vibe. Isn't philosophy wonderful, Kash?

And then, whoa....DAT VISION. It reminds me of some things happening in Edward Eager's book, Half Magic. Things happen halfway, and the consequences are sometimes hilarious, but sometimes downright frightening. Kash does not seem to be able to master the Force abilities in the way expected of him, it's like he's...unable to manipulate the Force to his will and use it as a tool. The Force seems to be using him as a tool instead.

Now, we know of a seaside town from the stories further on in this timeline, but I can't wait to see what the connection to Silas is. If I could make one guess, just one...

...it's his son, the one implied to have been conceived before his death. Mirany has gray-green eyes and Kash's own eyes are dark, so why wouldn't her son have grey ones? Sure, being named "after his father" doesn't fit, but maybe Kash had an alias at some point? And when past and future create a ripple like this, Kash is lucky to end up just passing out and not ending up somewhere among different space-times like Mara Jade in Seasons of Migration to the North!

If that's what it is, then I don't like the idea of more such events, too. Except if I'm right aaaand...

...Silas will turn out to have a key role in the Rebellion, in some way and this will be vital to Kash's decision that his wife HAS to make it somehow and give birth.

Looking forward to more. And more. And more. :)

Findswoman and divapilot like this.
  14. Findswoman

Feb 27, 2014
    Whoo boy, I just read Ewok Poet 's hypothesis, and then the relevant parts of the vision, and I suspect she may be on to something... the hints all seem to be there... [face_thinking]

Ewok Poet likes this.
  15. Raissa Baiard

Nov 22, 1999
    Sorry for being so late to respond :(

Your description of the meal that Kash and his fellows in the AgriCorps shared with the Jedinfrom Coruscant is lovely. Good food, grown with care and lovingly prepared, a beautiful natural setting, and good fellowship...no wonder Kash can sense the Force so strongly. It recalls stories of the early Christian church, where believers would gather to break bread with one another and God's presence was said to be wherever two or more were gathered in His name.
    This is such a wonderfully evocative way of describing the Force's presence, its currents as tangible and powerful as a river. Reading this, I would love to have been present at such a beautiful, joyous meal.

Once again, Kash shows his growing maturity by taking pride in what he has accomplished instead of yearning after what he may never have. His contentment and acceptance are heartwarming.

Kash's vision is rather unsettling, though. Who--and when and where--is Silas? And what is Kash meant to learn from him? Or teach him, if Master Quinnus is correct? I can't blame Kash for thinking that one such incident is enough! (And after reading Ewok Poet and @Findswoman's comments, I can see that I need to catch up on your other stories about Kash!)

Once again, great entry. I'm enjoying seeing Kash develop :)

Findswoman and Ewok Poet like this.
  16. divapilot

Nov 30, 2005

Thank you for your response! It’s an unusual ability, to say the least. Kash can’t control it and it really threw him when it happened. There is definitely a dangerous side to this, as you point out. But it’s terribly disorienting, too. At least he will understand it better if it happens again. ;)

Thank you for your very thorough reply! Silas was real, and Kash appeared to him just as suddenly as Silas appeared to Kash. Even so, Silas managed to get over his initial surprise and make him feel welcomed and safe, as Kash did with Silas. There’s a definite connection between them that places them on the same timeline, but not the same place and time. :)

Kash is still learning how to manage the way that he interacts with the Force. He senses it differently than others do, as you can tell by the way it takes a physical toll on him. It’s more elemental, more corporal with him. He can literally feel the Force. And when he uses it, there is a rebound affect on him. This manifestation of the Force was so powerful it knocked him unconscious. Master Quinnus is unfamiliar with this ability, and he is just hoping that by examining what happened, Kash may be able to identify when another event like this will occur. Master Quinnus doesn’t have any answers either. But it’s up to the Force to send Kash the messages he needs to hear and experience, not Kash himself, so he may be caught off guard again. [face_worried]

Thank you for your response! Yes, Kash has an interesting skill indeed. If only he could control it! But the Force sends Kash where he needs to go. He may not understand what he is doing there or why he sees what he sees, but as he gets older, things will make more sense. And Marfa? Hmmm. Could be….[face_thinking] Glad you liked Kit Fisto’s cameo. He doesn’t get much screen time and he seemed to be the kind of man to enjoy a trip to Salliche. But Master Fisto is there, ultimately, on business, and he needs to get this project up and running so that the troops will have a dedicated line of supplies.

Thank you for your thoughtful reply! Kash is a bona fide “Living Force” kind of guy. It is taking him a while to appreciate that he isn’t going to be a swashbuckler, but he finds himself at peace and truly happy when he is nurturing. This “picnic in the arbor” really is up his alley. He gets to protect and nurture. As for the river, that river of the Force can be a turbulent flood, too. o_O

That’s it exactly. He expects to be able to control the Force, to bend it to his will and manipulate it, but the Force has other ideas. The Force wants Kash for a reason and he cannot react to it the way that every other Jedi does. He can’t even do so if he wanted to because he can’t control the physical toll it takes on him when he tries. He is a conduit, and the Force flows through him.

Added to @Anedon’s theory and you have something here. ;) Kash will remember this vision for a very long time.

Again, you may be on to something! o_O

Thank you! I appreciate your comments! I like to think that the Jedi have different ways of interpreting the Force, that there is not “one size fits all” for all the different people who experience the Force. Those who are service Jedi in AgriCorps are closer to the Living Force, and such a dining experience would be natural for them. A simple life, a gentle communion with each other and the Force. [:D]

Kash is starting to figure out where he belongs. He still wants to be “important,” but he is beginning to realize that being famous and being important are not necessarily the same thing. [face_thinking]

Both Silas and Kash have learned important things from this encounter, although it may be years before they realize what happened. Silas was as surprised to see Kash in the middle of his vineyard in the late morning as Kash was to see Silas in his grain field in the late afternoon. This is the first time that such a Force projection has hit Kash, and he would be very happy if it never happened again. o_O

Thank you to everyone for reading and/or replying!

17. divapilot

Nov 30, 2005
    Entry 6.

I can’t believe it. I’m going to Coruscant! Master Quinnus told me that I was selected for a program to help set up a stronger line of support from the SAC food supply to the front lines and to the Jedi programs. I’ll be working with analysts and supply specialists to give them guidance on how to plan the imports. Usually, most of what we grow goes straight to the consumer lines on Coruscant, but the war has diverted a portion of our harvest to aid the war effort.

Saleris is coming too. Master Fisto said that he was impressed with the way he could sense Saleris’s strength in the Force. Saleris was so excited. I think he had his bag packed about an hour later.

Master Quinnus wants me to be prepared for the trip, so he is going over the SAC guidelines with me every day until we leave. I’m a little young for an assignment like this, but I think I can handle it. I hope it can handle it. The war is really heating up. I hear that there have been many battles with the Separatist armies, and it takes a toll on the Clone warriors and the brave soldiers and officers who fight along with them. Someone once said that an army’s success depends on its food and supplies, so it’s important work that we do. If the Republic Army didn’t have us, they would be in trouble.

I can’t help wondering what I will find when I make it back to Coruscant. Is Master Yoda still showing up unexpectedly for the youngling’s lessons? And that old librarian – what was her name? She always scared me. Is she still there? How many of the elders have gone off to fight? The Council must be in constant activity.

I hope I can fit in. I’ll be there in my Service Order uniform and I will stick out like a weed. Will the others in my work group accept me? Will they look down at me for being AgriCorp? I don’t know.

I think Master Quinnus caught on to my worries. He told me that I am equally worthy as any other. The Force does not pick favorites, people do. If I trust the Force and listen to what it tells me, then I will know the right path to take. I don’t know how he’s so sure, but he insists that the path I will walk may be an unusual one but it will be the right one in the end.

My documents are almost all in place, and the ship arrives for Saleris and me in two days. I hope this adventure works out for the both of us.

Chyntuck, Kahara, Anedon and 3 others like this.
  18. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    I am SOMEHOW not behind this one like I am with the other two and I am NOT going to cry, OK?

Just kidding, I'm crying because of those two, since I have two chapters to catch up with in each and you are this SCHEDULE PERSON.

I just realised that the word Saleris contains the word Silas. That's just GOT to be significant.

I sense a fanboy here. :D He's so sincerely excited, dat Kash. :D

Let's hope that the Seppies won't spoil the fun of this trip. Then again, it could be a chance for Kash to show his intuitive ways...hmmm. Undecided here.

Short, but sweet.

EDIT: WAIT. WAIT.WAIT.WAIT. JOCASTA IS NOT SCARY. SHE IS HARMLESS.

Findswoman likes this.
  19. Lady_Misty

Mar 21, 2007
    Well I hope things go well for Kash and Saleris.

Kahara and Ewok Poet like this.
  20. Findswoman

Feb 27, 2014
    What a plum for both Kash and Saleris! Particularly Kash, given his earlier uncertainties about his future; it's great now that he has the confidence to realize the importance of the work he'll be doing with the SAC—armies do run on their stomachs. :D Of course it's understandable too that he's a bit worried about coming back to this pivotal place from his earlier year: about "sticking out like a weed" in his AgriCorps attire and in how he'll get on with all those old things and people he remembers with some consternation from his past (the "old librarian" was a nice touch, and now I wonder if we'll see her later on in this). I remember having a few similar feelings last year when I went back to my college for a choir reunion after not having been on campus since graduating some 14 years earlier. (Yes, feel free to do the math! :p )

About this sentence, which in a way seems to encapsulate the entire theme of this story:

Yes, it's certainly looking that way. And this ties in to Kash's (and us readers') earlier curiosity about how it was that Quinnus ended up with the "leader of the losers" job, since I bet the answer to "how he's so sure" is related to that. [face_thinking] ;)

Kahara and Ewok Poet like this.
  21. Mira Grau

May 11, 2016
    So Kash is returning to Corusant?
    It´s nice to see him becoming more and more acepting of his role in the agricorps. Master Quinnus lessons defenetly sink in as Kash grows up.
    A nice chapter I´m looking forward to Kash arriving on Corusant. :)

Kahara, Ewok Poet and Findswoman like this.
  22. Mira_Jade

Mira_Jade The (FavoriteTM) Fanfic Mod With the Cape star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jun 29, 2004
    Oh my goodness, but what a fascinating ability that is for Kash! I was intrigued throughout the entirety of the last update, and I'll admit that my mind boggled a little when Master Quinnus sat down with him and explained what was happening. The potential plot possibilities are endless there, and I can't wait to see where you go with this! [face_thinking]

Then, for this next update, I am so excited to see Kash - and Saleris - handed more responsibility, even though it is sad to see the war suck up younger and younger souls to help aid it. Even for something as relatively safe as aiding the supply lines. But, I'm so excited to see Kash take this bend in his path. I am looking forward to seeing what comes next for him! [face_love] =D=

Kahara, Findswoman and Ewok Poet like this.
  23. Raissa Baiard

Nov 22, 1999
    Oh, good for Kash! His diligence has paid off. :) He's going home, in a mannner of speaking, but as he noted in earlier entries, it's not really his home anymore. No wonder he's simultaneously excited and worried. I hope that those who are at the Temple will be kind and welcoming to him, but the idea that the AgriCorps is the place for losers doesn't come from nowhere, so I am concerned [face_worried]. Still, it is good that Kash and Saleris see this as not just an opportunity, but an adventure.

I love Kash's reminisces of the Temple:
    [face_laugh] for the description of Jocasta Nu. Yep, she's still there, and still scaring even brave Jedi. Poor Kash. Makes me wonder what Master Nu said to him. [face_laugh]

And again, I adore Master Quinnus. He's the mentor and spiritual counselor all of us need. He is so gentle and wise in his advice to Kash and so absolutely right.
    I hope that Kash will take this to heart and remember Quinnus's words now that his path is leading in a new direction. Looking forward to seeing what the future holds for him. =D=

Findswoman and Ewok Poet like this.
  24. divapilot

Nov 30, 2005

Lol! Nope, sometimes a cigar is just a cigar. Nothing significant. :p

Kash is excited! He’s trying to be all cool kid but really he knows he has gotten a plum assignment and he’s hoping to take it somewhere. And I can totally see the scary librarian in Jocasta.[face_skull] His intuitive ways are definitely going to get a workout. Thank you for reading and replying.

Thanks for reading and replying! Things will be interesting for our boys. o_O

Thanks for your kind words! Kash and Saleris have hit a sweet deal, that’s for sure. Kash is anxious but it’s understandable. He wants to make a good impression and he knows just by being AgriCorps he is already at a disadvantage. There’s lots of nostalgia about coming back to the place he grew up – but then again, once you are back you see it in a new way. [face_thinking]

Master Quinnus is very insightful. He knows that Kash is different. He can’t be a “traditional” Jedi because of his differences, but that doesn’t mean he’s broken. He just has a different destiny than the others, and that could make him more important in the long run. Perhaps Master Quinnus knows a thing or two about being nonconforming, too. o_O

Thank you for your comments! Kash is becoming comfortable in his new role, and although he would still love to be a Jedi Knight, he is beginning to accept that his destiny in life runs in another direction. Master Quinnus has been the confidant, the counselor, and the father figure that a kid like Kash really needs. [:D]

Thank you for reading and replying! I appreciate it very much. Kash’s ability is a wild card. It’s incredibly powerful but he has absolutely no control of it. As someone earlier said, it is more like the Force uses Kash than Kash manipulates the Force. It’s terrifying for him and it takes a huge physical toll. But part of being a Jedi is bowing to the will of the Force, even if it is a difficult and dangerous thing to do. In a strange way, his lack of success at becoming a Jedi Knight is helping prepare him to better experience the Force projection he underwent. He has to accept the fact that he is not the master of the Force, instead it controls him, and he has to trust that the Force knows what the heck it’s doing. [face_thinking];) This DDC story interweaves with the other longer fic I am writing, so the plot possibilities with Force projection show up in both works.

The war demands a great deal from its youngest. It seems that being a teenager in the GFFA meant you assumed a huge amount of responsibility, especially in wartime. Those young padawans are in the middle of the battle when they should be in high school.:( And the effects of the war are felt as far as Coruscant. I’m glad you are still enjoying this.

Thank you very much for your kind response! Kash is just the kind of guy who is naturally a hard worker and he’s also very intelligent. This trip will give Kash the experience of understanding how the economics of the temple work, and he can bring that knowledge back to Salliche with him. There will be issues, of course, with coming home to Coruscant – you can never really go home again, after all. But this is of itself another learning opportunity for him.;)

Master Nu would scare me too! Don’t get between a librarian and her archives. I doubt she had little patience for kids running around in the stacks.:eek:

[quote="Raissa Baiard, post: 54211638, member: 236814] And again, I adore Master Quinnus. He's the mentor and spiritual counselor all of us need. He is so gentle and wise in his advice to Kash and so absolutely right.
    I hope that Kash will take this to heart and remember Quinnus's words now that his path is leading in a new direction. Looking forward to seeing what the future holds for him. [/quote]

Master Quinnus is taking on a life of his own. He is a true believer in the Force, a loyal Jedi, yet humble enough to spend his life with the most vulnerable of the Jedi – those children who have been dealt a crippling blow by being shuffled off to the Agricorps. He has to instill in them a sense of worthiness and confidence. He truly loves his kids, and he wants each of them to succeed.[:D] Master Quinnus recognizes that he has something unique in Kash and he isn’t too proud to admit to Kash that he doesn’t really understand Kash’s abilities himself. However, he assures Kash that together they will figure it out. Kash doesn’t have to go it alone – there will always be those reflective walks through the orchards with a wiser, older ally.

Anedon, Ewok Poet and Findswoman like this.
  25. divapilot

Nov 30, 2005
    Entry 7.

We took a transport to Gallacia, the capital city of Salliche, and Master Quinnus kept fretting over us like a mother avian but I told him we were fine. I mean, what can happen. I’m seventeen now and Saleris is fourteen. There are Jedi our age across the galaxy fighting a war. We can handle this. We were just going to Coruscant; we’d both been there before of course, and we would be with another delegation from Salliche and Marfa.

It’s been five years since I saw Coruscant, and I have to admit it was impressive to approach it. The flight only took a few hours – we spent most of the time in hyperspace. Coruscant looked like a beautiful jewel. It has a metallic gleam when the sun hits it, and on the horizon you can see the glitter of the artificial lighting coming on line. All kinds of communication network outposts are in orbit, which makes it look like a glowing web that surrounds the planet. Saleris and I stood at the viewport as the shuttle floated along the travel lanes, then descended through the clouds to the familiar Federal Center, near the Senate. I hadn’t seen it in a while but my heart still leapt when I saw the towers of the Jedi Temple.

When our shuttle landed and the delegation disembarked, Saleris practically ran down the ramp. I took my time. Got my bearings back. The air smelled faintly of mechanics. The gravity was a little heavier than what I’d gotten used to at Salliche.

Saleris turned back to me. “Come on, Older Brother! Let’s find out where we’re staying.”

I shook my head and smiled at him and picked up my bag. I sighed. Kids. “I’m coming, Little Brother.”

Saleris was practically running around, he was so excited to be back. We walked through the huge entrance to the Jedi Temple, the enormous statues flanking its sides. The agenda called for us to meet up with the representatives we would be working with. They were Jedi, experts from the Archives, people who spent most of their time running analytical simulations and doing statistical modeling of projected profit ratios. I hoped at least one of them would be interesting, since I was going to be dealing with them every day for the next three months.

Saleris must have been thinking the same thing because he poked me with his webby finger. “Brother, I think I see the others,” he whispered. His snout nearly quivered with excitement.

I looked over. Sure enough, sitting around a table was a group of maybe ten people. From our group, Master Fisto waved, and one of the humans waved back. Some of them got up and started walking toward us.

The people in the front of the group parted and I could see the others who were still sitting there. Among the group I saw a Devaronian male, a Selonian that I think was a female, and a dark-skinned human male. Then there were three human men, all about the same age, skin tone, height, and weight. They had differences, of course; one had a beard, one was heavier than the other two, and one wore his hair quite short. They were clones. I had never seen a clone before. The dark-skinned man came over to our group.

“Welcome to Coruscant,” he said, a wide smile brightening up his face. He shook all our hands. He introduced himself as Master Si-Korran, a Jedi archivist. We met everyone and exchanged greetings.

After a brief introduction, we were given our assignments for our rooms. I was so tired. The room was small but clean, with a simple bed and an attached fresher. There was a desk and a comm unit for me to use. I didn’t have to share anything with anyone. When I was here last, I lived in the communal area with all the other children. When I moved to Salliche, we lived in a dormitory. I have never had my own room.

It’s very nice. I think I’m going to really like it here.