main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Crossover Writers Support Group

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Theodore Hawkwood, May 18, 2017.

1. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Thanks for the suggestion but I don't think Sin would fit (unless I used the Phineas & Ferb Red Skull*) since she is truly her father's daughter with all what that means.

* that's acctually an interesting idea

Regarding a non-powered character having a powered sidekick so don't I think it would be a problem since Motor Ed is a mad scientist and many mad scientist that lack powers often have a superpowered sidekick/underling. For example Motor Ed's cousin Dr. Drakken, who has the green flame wielding Shego as a sidekick.

mavjade likes this.
  2. Darth Invictus

Darth Invictus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 8, 2016
    Any good star trek/star wars eu crossovers?

3. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Do you mean ideas or recommendations?

4. Darth Invictus

Darth Invictus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 8, 2016
    Recommendations? Ideas I suppose as well.

5. Darth Osnil

Darth Osnil Jedi Knight star 4

Sep 29, 2016
    If you were wanting a female DC character, I'd recommend Tool Girl, but as for Marvel I looked up what I could. I hereby recommend Lady Octopus.

*waves hand* You will write this crossover. You will tag me.

Sith-I-5 and Gamiel like this.
  6. Mistress_Renata

Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 9, 2000
    I am curious about this crossover. As I recall, when Motor Ed tagged Shego to team up with him, she was ready for mayhem, but he just wanted a hottie to make him look good while he cruised around in his sweet ride.

Are you SURE you don't want a DC villainess? Because Harley Quinn TOTALLY fits the bill! She might want to take the wheel at some point, but still...

Gamiel and Darth Osnil like this.
  7. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Since folks have shown some interest I will explain my idea, maybe it will help inspire some other people since I am rather certain I will not really be able to fulfil it.

First of I probably need to give some background: In 2014 (man have it been so long) Marvel begun a crossover event involving all their spider characters and then some, called Spider-Verse. The overall story was that a family of über-powerful totem eaters was hunting and eating spider-totems (like Spider-Man and his counterparts) allover the multiverse, this lead to the different spiders gathering together to stop this threat. This was later followed by the comic Web-Warriors were we have some of the spiders jumping from reality to reality (usually the ones that had lost their Spider-totem) doing good stuff. Another thing that came from the Spider-Verse event is the ongoing Spider-Gewn series.

Now all this rekindled my interest in writing Marvel AU stories and I have a wish to write a story about a ”Beta team” of web-warriors (if I could just get an idea for a storyline that would work). It also made me surf DeviantArt for fanart of the Spider-Verse and Spider-[person] redesigns (b.t.w. it is a bit disturbing how much fanart of the female characters is highly sexualised). One of the artworks I found was this one below of “Spider-Hulk” from http://sampleguy.deviantart.com/ (his overall gallery is abit NSFW)

[​IMG]

I liked the idea of a character that was both Spider-totem and She-Hulk (I think there was already a character in Spider-Verse that combined the classic Hulk and Spider-Man) and begun to wonder what kind of world she would come from. I did not want it to be just an What if… world (the same as the standard Marvel ‘verse up to a point), this is actually something the Spider-Gwen is doing great b.t.w., but could not really decide on how, then I realised that Marvel is now owned by Disney so why not have a world that combine Marvel with Disney shows and movies (right now mainly Big Hero 6 and Kim Possible), f.ex. Dr. Director from KP is the head of S.H.E.I.L.D. in this world.

The reason why I asked for a sidekick for Motor Ed is that he would be an excellent first villain that shows that the world is different and don’t really need any motives for creating chaos; but he is just an ordinary human and would not be any challenge at all against Spider-Hulk so I want to give him a sidekick/similar that would at least take some of her time before she just open the hood of Moter Ed’s mega-monster truck and rip out the cables.

You know I’m surprised that with all Marvels highway heroes (US Ace, Ghost Rider, Thunderiders, Razorback, etc.) that I don’t know of any highway villains.

Oh, Harley Quinn would be fit Ed perfect but sadly only Disney owned characters

8. Darth Osnil

Darth Osnil Jedi Knight star 4

Sep 29, 2016
    I remember Spider-verse. Before the dark times. . . before Sam Wilson Captain America. Why don't you go a step further and throw in everyone's favorite Platypus agent? The Avengers and Shield already exist in the Phineas and Ferb world.

Nehru_Amidala likes this.
  9. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Just something I have been thinking about: if the characters of Firefly where in SW (as part of the SW 'verse) what would Mal's background be if he appeared in the post OT? I mean him being a freedom fighter against an a big bad Alliance (or at least that's how he saw it) who lost is so important for his character that something like that would need to be in his background. In the Empire era it is easy to have him as an ex-Separatist but what would he be in a post-Empire era?

10. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    Mal would be New Republic in post-Empire. Maybe like Lando, he would retire and return to civilian life. Maybe like Lando, he would constantly be pulled back into the NR military / intelligence complex for missions.

11. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Sorry for the late reply
    But one of the important Points of Mal's character is that he fought on the losing side and really dislike the current government so having him as a Rebel turned NR Citizen don't really fit.

Maybe he could have belonged to one of the Rebel cells that existed in one of the longer lasting Imperial Remnant areas and saw his comrades being destroyed while waiting for reinforcement from the Rebels/NR that never came thereby being the loser of a conflict and having reasons to dislike both the Imperium and the NR.

Another possibility is that he was one of those idealistic Imperials who actually thought they were doing good and had not seen/realised (or was unwilling to realise) the Empire’s darker sides.

Which one do people think sound best or do you have any other suggestions?

12. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    Oh well, in that case, in the EU, Senator Bel Iblis ran his own smaller rebellion against the Empire because he did not trust Mon Mothma.

Also, COMPNOR and its various organs, such as ISB, "were kept ignorant of the darker sides of the Empire", so maybe he could be with them.

Gamiel likes this.
  13. Theodore Hawkwood

Theodore Hawkwood Jedi Master star 2

Jun 17, 2014
    For my fanfic I'm currently working on crossing over the 2009 Wolfenstein game into it. Basically what I've created is 'Operation Exodus' in which as World War II progressed and the Third Reich was being destroyed the Nazis launched 'Operation Exodus' in which they used ancient Atlantean technology to send a contingent into another universe, basically a world of my own design.

I'm just curious how best to show, and not tell that particular series of events without gigantic author's notes.

14. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    Use a stargate, and have your contingent walk through it. For the Third Reich being destroyed, you could have rubble collapsing within a base that has swastikas on the walls; we'll figure it out.

As an aside, I have always loved the name "Operation Exodus", ever since it was used as a Moonbase Alpha evacuation plan in Space 1999.

Theodore Hawkwood likes this.
  15. Theodore Hawkwood

Theodore Hawkwood Jedi Master star 2

Jun 17, 2014
    Sith-I-5, that's pretty cool that Operation Exodus was used before.

I thought about adding, perhaps, a last speech from the propaganda ministry into that scene too.

Weirdly enough I sort of bogarted the world of Nosgoth from the Legacy of Kain series. The only things I did was leave out anything relating to vampires, demons, etc. To me Nosgoth, as portrayed in the series, has a lot of German-sounding names (i.e. one settlement named Nachtholm comes to mind).

I've got my semi-original world of Nosgoth as having a roughly mid-to-late 19th Century technology level and within a few years Operation Exodus' fleeing Nazis manage to advance their technology to a mid-twentieth century level. Any good ways to show that particular phenomenon?

16. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Inspiered by this
    I would love to see a SW/LotR crossover with the Skywalkers as hobbits

Tarsier and Iron_lord like this.
  17. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Do anybody know of any Sailor Moon/Barsoom crossover stories?

Voltron64 likes this.
  18. Nehru_Amidala

Nehru_Amidala Force Ghost star 7

Oct 3, 2016
    Nope sorry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    After just three episodes of tv series Bulletproof, I feel like getting E-Branch to help out the National Crime Agency team.

20. Wannabe Scholar

Wannabe Scholar Jedi Knight

Mar 21, 2014
    Welp, I'm a late arrival, but I'll give a go. I've been a fan of crossovers for a long time (oddly enough, this site is where I first came across them), and I always prefer crossovers of two or more franchises as long as I can make some connection between them (e.g. mixing Avatar: The Last Airbender with Lego's Bionicle since both have heroes who wield elemental powers and are based on non-Western cultures). The crossovers I roll my eyes at are ones that have a character of one franchise (OC or canonized) act as the author-insert while roaming around the world of another franchise, as I always see those as too much pandering to the author's own personal tastes without any real character growth (which is strange because those are the ones I read most as a kid). There are exceptions though, but they're few and far between.

21. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    Welcome, @Wannabe Scholar

If the writer has enough of a grasp of a franchise's character, to know how they will react in the other world; I think those types of crossovers can be good. Besides, if you have no guarantee that others will read your work, you might as well write for yourself.

Vek Talis and Tarsier like this.
  22. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    The best crossover I ever read was an Escape from New York/Man from U.N.C.L.E. story that was written about 25 years ago.

I wrote some Kurt Russell character stuff back then including an X-Files/The Thing crossover (but unlike ‘Ice’) I had MacReady meet with Mulder and Scully.

That is about it, because my fan fic reading and writing long term memory was erased.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2018
    Vek Talis, Sith-I-5 and Nehru_Amidala like this.
  23. Vek Talis

Vek Talis Jedi Master star 3

Oct 12, 2018
    So, I've only just stumbled on this discussion, but I have a few thoughts, musings, etc.

I like a good crossover. (Who likes a bad one?) One where the 'verses seem to meld well already (or where the writer is very skilled and can weave them together). I haven't seen too many, though.

Is it common to take different genres and mix them together? For instance, I can see Star Wars/Star Trek (I'm a little more sophisticated than that, or so I like to think, was just giving the most obvious example), but is something like Sherlock Holmes (the books, not the tv shows or movies) and Stargate, for another example, a thing, too? I can't even imagine how you would link those two worlds, except to say maybe the Stargate team came through and found themselves in 1880s London, which I guess could work, but I doubt I'd be too interested in reading it, lol.

If you've deciphered my ramblings, are cross genre crossovers a popular thing, or very niche?

And, it would be wild if a writer were to take something from all the 'most common' genres and put them all together.

But, the ones I like best, are related genres, like all different sci-fi 'verses, or all mystery (like have Hercule Perot and Inspector Clouseau have to solve a terrible [and hilarous] case).

24. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    I have never seen Sherlock and Stargate.

One idea that I was amazed to discover, was the NCIS team investigating the loss of Marines in the Stargate programme.

Vek Talis likes this.