main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Last Jedi Discussion Thread - **UNTAGGED SPOILERS WITHIN**

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by mavjade , Dec 10, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    By going with "slight element of sexism", you are at least acknowledging that the majority, or at least another element, are experiencing concerns are nothing at all to do with sexism.

Just because she would have known George's mind and intentions, doesn't mean that she has to, or intends to, follow his lead.

She created the Lucasfilm Story Group, to decide the direction of the Saga (I haven't followed this at all, so any accuracy is purely coincidental), and Lucas is not even on board as a consultant. That says to you that she intends to follow any of his story ideas beyond the Original Trilogy?

Hey, maybe they were crap? Maybe she has a reason for taking a different route.

On a slightly different matter, back when I was criticising TFA for the amount of questions that it raised, and left hanging, staunch TFA defenders insisted they would all be answered in the "next film". I didn't see why they thought the next guy was going to limit his own creativity in order to address all the issues that the incumbent left behind. That is a bit unfair.

And turns out, that is almost exactly what happened. I did more of an update on the Knights of Ren than Rian did! Nothing confirmed on Rey's special parentage; no background data on Snoke.

I enjoyed TLJ more than TFA. It might have not been helpful to Lucas' vision, but I feel that TFA had already damaged it to **** in the first place.

I do appreciate Kathleen for saving Rogue One from being the dumpster fire that I was sure Gareth Edwards would have turned out if left to his own devices.

Gamiel and SwordoftheMorning like this.
  2. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    Straw man argument.

Watch out, they will come for you now. I never made a statement like this, nor did I ever dislike Mara the way she was written in the EU, I only joked about quality of majority of fanworks across the whole of the internet once in February 2015, and this group of people APPARENTLY left the board because of me in...2017. [face_rofl][face_rofl][face_rofl]

*removed the "so wude" bit. ;)

Um, no. Just have her dye her hair blonde and she'll be A-OK! Bad Kathleen! Bad, bad Kathleen! She ruined our childhoods, our adolescence AND our adulthood.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2017
  3. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    I didn't expect to start my Christmas morning reading a description of this board's L/M fans as a "pack" with a "leader" that "trails" people (in a TLJ thread no less), but there you go.

4. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    Bullies need to be called out as what they are - bullies. I was bullied by 40-somethings as a teenager, twenty-something AND thirty-something. In midlife, people should learn how to be at least remotely nice to others and not call somebody whom they have never spoken to a "fetishist with smelly friends", in a public place. But yeah - give them a hand of peace, they'll throw stones at you, because what you said three years ago about fictional characters is 101% more important than the person you are, your kind heart and your empathy towards every single person, with no exceptions. Live and let live.

EDIT: Removed that part. <3

That said, I enjoy L/M, and individual Mara fics. [face_love] And I don't mind editing this for the sake of our kind mods and the good folk who write L/M and never attack anybody. :c3po:

OT: This was on New York Times this morning. If anybody's ten articles per month expired, I'll gladly make a PDF or put it on Google Docs. :)

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/12/22/movies/star-wars-last-jedi-women-run-universe.html

5. Mistress_Renata

Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 9, 2000
    Liked that article, @Ewok Poet; I hadn't seen it. A very diverse story group, sounds like. Curious to see what else comes from them. :)

I've never been a Mara fan, most everyone knows it (well, everyone here). I don't make a big deal about it, and don't read L/M, so can't say I've been bullied much about it.

Ewok Poet likes this.
  6. Cowgirl Jedi 1701

Cowgirl Jedi 1701 Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2016
    I usually call her Admiral Purple Hair, mostly because I can never remember her name.

Gamiel, Kahara and Ewok Poet like this.
  7. divapilot

divapilot Force Ghost star 4

Nov 30, 2005
    I loved the development of the characters,especially Poe. In TFA, he’s a Neo-Han, the hotshot, reckless, shoot first adventurer. Here we see him learning that actions have consequences. Leia feels each loss intimately; her face as she watches the ship indicators flicker out proves this. Poe also has to learn this, and by the end he does. He goes from being a talented but reckless pilot to a leader. I wonder if he will take over the Resistance in IX, since Ackbar and Hondo are gone and Leia won’t be there.

8. gaarastar58

gaarastar58 Jedi Master star 3

Dec 19, 2010
    Hondo would make a great addition to the Resistance leadership!

I'm not entirely clear on why the Resistance even needs any soldiers apart from Poe. He seems capable of taking out enemy fighters with such ease! Even Luke and Wedge are saying "jeez this guy is a bit of a show-off". He makes Anakin look like a novice.

Having said that yes he gets some great development. In fact the reason TLJ is one of my favourites is because it is all about the characters and not driven by the plot as much as other episodes.

Kahara, Mistress_Renata and Ewok Poet like this.
  9. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    Character-focused ANYTHING for the win! =D=

10. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    Believe me when I say I hated a majority of the story arcs of the EU. Years ago I also argued for an EU reboot because I didn't like all the death and destruction. Unfortunately for me I thought a reboot would be like a Star Trek reboot where you still have all of your favorite characters. Could you imagine a reboot where Spock was replaced by a purple blob alien and Scotty was now played by a robot? It would infuriate people. Fans want new and better stories, but they want their characters. No matter how much I loathed what was happening to the EU and wanted a reboot...I still wanted my favorite EU characters to reappear in their basic roles. Jacen, Jaina and Anakin would be the kids of Leia and Han, but they wouldn't have the same fates. Mara would be around as Luke's love interest and other fan favorites would be there. I guess I imagined a reboot to be like fanfiction where you take the created characters and put them in a AU situation. Tim Zahn created some of my favorite characters. It is a shame that the authors thought horrific story arcs were needed to make interesting reading. I blame this on the increased power of the Jedi. If you turn them into almost invincible people, then you need an equally deadly enemy. But when I complained online about the slaughter I was reminded that this was Star WARS.

I have sort of given up on getting any entertainment out of the franchise. The new books I have read recently are boring. I know they are hampered by the movies. The authors can't write anything that might go against future movie-canon.

I still have not warmed up to the new characters in the movies, either. I liked Poe a little better in the last movie. That same goes for Hux. I don't like Rose, Finn, DJ or Rey. I can't explain it. It just seem unlikable to me. And Snoke was a disappointing bad guy.

But this movie was better than TFA and it is always nice seeing Luke. :bluesaber::greensaber:

Wait...who is the leader of this nefarious pack of L/M 'shippers? I am fairly certain I can be counted as part of the L/M crowd, but if there is a leader... that is one memo I didn't receive.

gaarastar58 likes this.
  11. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    Let's remember this thread is about TLJ and not about ships.

Sith-I-5 likes this.
  12. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    @Briannakin - Just a suggestion...move the posts to the OTP thread and leave a link? The discussion is deffo interesting and this is probably the first time we can discuss it without anything, well, hardcore, happening.

13. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    From a quick look, several of the posts in the convo have comments both on the topics in question and TLJ, so it won't be a coherent move, but I encourage the topic to be civility discussed over in the OTP thread.

Ewok Poet likes this.
  14. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    That's a good idea, IMHO. :) I'll have the sock take it there...

Until then - wondering what is not likeable about Rose? Curious. I found her very relatable.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2017
  15. Mistress_Renata

Sep 9, 2000
    I know there has been discussion that Poe could be slightly Force-sensitive, because of this special tree that Luke Skywalker apparently gave his mother as a gift. I'm not sure I like the idea... one of the things I like about Wedge is that he's an amazing pilot just because...he's an amazing pilot & he works hard. I like the idea that sometimes, people are skilled and the Force has nothing to do with it, it's just talent and hard work. And Han is an amazing pilot... because he's worked at it.

I did like his development... he is going from "win whatever the cost" to "calculate the cost and decide if it's worth the win."

Even thought it's Star Wars, sometimes, I think, it shouldn't always be about the Force.

16. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    TLJ got me thinking. Why do capital ships need to have the bridge on the outer edge of the ship, protected only by transparisteel or whatever, where they are vulnerable to attack? This especially applies to a flagship carrying the majority of the faction's leadership on the bridge, as was seen in TLJ. Why can't the bridge be deep inside the ship, with the transparisteel window replaced with a large electronic display screen fed by cameras built into the outer hull? That way the enemy can't decapitate your leadership with a single missile.

Kahara likes this.
  17. Mistress_Renata

Sep 9, 2000
    Maybe an actual window is a backup? If all systems go down, at least with a window you can see what's going on. Agree, though; you'd think that at least there'd be an auxiliary bridge somewhere, with some of the leadership in there. And it has to be said... NOT ADMIRAL ACKBAR!!!!! :_|:_|

Kahara, Lady_Misty and jcgoble3 like this.
  18. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    I think the main bridge should be deep inside the ship, with an auxiliary bridge on the outer edge. Leave the leadership on the main bridge, and send lower-ranking officers to the auxiliary bridge only when the main bridge is incapacitated.

Kahara and Lady_Misty like this.
  19. Thumper09

Thumper09 Force Ghost star 4

Dec 9, 2001
    I rewatched part of TFA this past weekend, and I noticed how often Rey is referred to as a "scavenger" both by herself and others. Hearing that now with the events of TLJ in mind, there's a possible new aspect to the word. Rey could be trying to "scavenge" bits of knowledge and techniques from the Jedi going forward. Finding the usable nuggets and discarding what's broken. Maybe a scavenger is exactly what the Light Side needs. :)

20. Lady_Misty

Lady_Misty Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 21, 2007
    Kahara likes this.
  21. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    She seemed flaky to me. At first she is all hero worship with Finn and then she suspects he is going to desert so she attacks him with a taser. Then she is hot for him again...enough that she rams into him with her airspeeder when he is trying to save the lives of all behind the blast doors on that salt planet. And what was that stupid quote she said, "That's how we're gonna win. Not fighting what we hate, saving what we love." What? She did save Finn, but if Luke didn't pull his astral projection magic, her actions would have meant the death for all of those people inside the secret base. So her infatuation with Finn was more important than the lives of a dozen other people. I also think the Finn/Rose relationship seems awkward and forced upon the audience. They just don't have any chemistry.

What would be interesting to read is a FanFic where Luke doesn't show up. The First Order slaughters all inside the base and captures Finn and Rose. Finn hates her for the rest of his short life because she was the responsible for the death of the Resistance. He would rather have died a glorious death than to be tortured by Imperials and then shot as a traitor. I'd read that fic.

22. gaarastar58

gaarastar58 Jedi Master star 3

Dec 19, 2010
    That would be dark. But yeah I think Finn sacrificing himself would have carried a lot of weight and completed his character arc. I didn't dislike Rose, I just felt she didn't really add a lot to the film.

23. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    I...wanna...be...the...minority. Wait, I *am* the minority. I liked her a lot. [face_love] I want to write Finn/Rose, even, and the only thing of that kind I wrote more than once was A/P.

Wait, maybe it's not tragic enough for me. We'll see, we'll see...

Kahara likes this.
  24. Mistress_Renata

Sep 9, 2000
    Rose came off to me as having some sort of psychological issues... like that type of person who just doesn't really get social interactions, so they appear awkward. I don't know if that was their plan or not. She had been deeply attached to her sister, who had died, and now was trying to find a new role or a new attachment. She felt very keenly for the animals and the children. So... I don't DISlike her, but I do think she needs more development. As to Finn, I think he's her new crush. He's a hero, she's heard about what he did on Starkiller base, and now she's falling for him. And Finn... he's still trying to adjust to a new life where he's allowed to have friends and forge relationships. He went for Rey, who wasn't interested, and now Rose is into him and he can't quite deal.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.