main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Marvel's Daredevil (Born Again, Again, Being Filmed Again)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Lazy Storm Trooper, Jan 7, 2014.

1. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Marvel hoping for 6 seasons of Daredevil.

“We find the best showrunners that we can, whether it’s Steve Lightfoot on Punisher or Erik on Daredevil, and we work together with them to craft the best story that we can… Does Marvel have an idea as to what Daredevil 4, 5, or 6 could be? Sure. But ultimately those things will be shifted and talked about by the two other important parties that are involved: the network — Netflix — and our showrunner. So we take it on a season-by-season basis, with a general idea as to where we want to be for all of our characters.”

2. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    No, whilst L. Ron Fist S2 was an improvement on S1 (and made me wonder who would win in a fight between L Ron Fist, L Ron Man, and L Ron Hubbard), and Luke Cage S2 was great, Daredevil is just the bee's pyjamas (as I believe the phrase goes).

heels1785 likes this.
  3. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    To me, "the network" (which is ABC/Disney) strongly implies that the Netflix deal could end after 2019. We know that Disney is pulling their MCU proper properties from Netflix in 2019 to move over to their own streaming service. Additionally, the network, ABC, has been struggling with their own Marvel TV series, with Agent Carter only lasting two seasons and The Inhumans being DOA. Bringing over any of these Marvel Netflix series to the network would greatly benefit themselves, and at the same time weaken their competition. Moreover, Disney's Freeform could use more content to accompany Cloak and Dagger, and there have been connections between that show and Luke Cage. So, I don't see Disney/ABC collaborating with Netflix that much longer.

That being said, I could see six season of Daredevil as there is so much from the source material to mine and adapt. The great thing about having these Marvel series on Netflix is the ability to flirt with "R-Rated" material. However, Disney Freeform appears to be a nice alternative to Netflix for such material.

Anyway. Kingpin.

heels1785 likes this.
  4. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    i think i've said this before, but d'onofrio as kingpin = ledger as the joker. that's as close to perfect as it gets.

5. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    Word! As great as D'Onofrio was in season one of Daredevil, he was even better in season two, and that was mostly behind bars! That "meeting" with Frank Castle was amazing. Too bad the first season of The Punisher didn't pick up right after this scene from season two.

heels1785 likes this.
  6. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I don't think it works that way- the Netflix deal ending in 2019 was specifically for their movies that were getting added on there shortly after their video releases and those are the movies and content getting pulled next year. AOS will probably go too since that's wholly ABC/Disney/Marvel TV. But Netflix is still involved in the shows they helped develop and is a separate deal since that predates the Disney movie deal by 3 years (the deal was announced in 2013, IIRC, and the movie deal didn't kick in until Civil War in 2016).

As far as I understand it, that means Disney can't pull the Netflix content from that service and can effectively keep producing them as long as they want- they just can't add any new shows about new characters that they don't already have the rights to. So, no Moon Knight, but maybe Misty Knight, etc.

Not to mention it leaves advertising for Disney content (the MCU/Marvel) on a competitor's service. Likewise, they couldn't pull the shows down to ABC because they're too violent or heavy on language and sex to air on broadcast TV or meet Disney's streaming service rating standards.

As for Freeform, I'm not sure what they'll do there. They had the chance to have more Marvel content on there but dropped New Warriors (probably going to the Disney service) so if they truly wanted something to pair with it they probably wouldn't have done that.

7. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Yah a deal's a deal for Netflix/MCU, think of it like the Sony Spider-Man dead. Sony does still have Spider-Man, they're just playing nice with Disney/Marvel for now but Venom is an all Sony joint. So Netflix could possibly spin off the Daredevil shows forever and ever. The only way Disney/Marvel could delegitimize it in fandom eyes is if they put in different Movie Daredevil or Movie Kingpin.

8. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    Have you watched Cloak and Dagger on Freeform? There's quite alot of mature content. And as I mentioned earlier, there's a connection between Cloak and Dagger and Luke Cage.

'Cloak & Dagger' Producer on How That 'Luke Cage' Reference Happened
    I don't honestly know what the details are in the Marvel/Netflix deal, but Marvel has planted at least one seed to connect the Marvel Netflix universe with the Freeform one, which may be very fruitful in the years. Anyway, I have to believe that Marvel didn't just sign over the rights to Daredevil and such to Netflix so soon after just getting the rights back from Fox. And as such, I don't think Marvel gave Netflix a license to keep the rights to the characters for a indefinite period of time, provided certain conditions are satisfied, like Spider-Man with Sony and X-Men/Fantastic Four with Fox. IIRC, Marvel/ABC have full creative control of the production and use of characters in the Marvel Netlix Universe.

So, while, Disney may not be able to pull the existing Marvel/Netflix collaboration content from Netflix for their own streaming service, I'm pretty sure they have the ability to either terminate their deal with Netflix or have the ability not to extend or renew their deal with Netflix, because the previous bad deals they have with Sony and Fox. The article linked above definitely states that both "the network" and Netflix would have to agree to continue their deal, thus providing a way to end the contract between the two companies.

Now, with Disney acquiring R Rated material from Fox, like Deadpool, Bob Iger has mentioned there's a place within the Mouse's House for such material provided they let the audience know what they're in store for. Additionally, with acquiring various Fox assets, which include the Alien and Predator franchises, among others, Disney is going to have to set up a platform to showcase those films and others with R-Rate content. It's very doubtful that Disney would buy those properties just to shelf them as they're not family friendly. So, wherever the R-Rated content Disney acquired from Fox is a possible landing spot for Daredevil, Jessica Jones, etc.

Let's not forget the Marvel has been creative when they have licensing issues, as such as the case with the Hulk. As I have come to understand, if Marvel was ever to produce a solo Hulk film, Universal would have the distribution rights to the film and therefore be entitled to a cut of the revenues. However, Marvel worked around that deal and has had Hulk appear in other Marvel films like the Avengers and Thor: Ragnarok to avoid sharing revenue with Universal. I could imagine that if the deal between Marvel and Netflix ends, Marvel could create alternative shows to feature Daredevil, Luke Cage, Iron Fist, Jessica Jones. Conceivably, Marvel could just create Heroes for Hire whenever the Netflix deal ends, or another TV show called "Secret War" teams up Daredevil with a variety of Marvel characters, or a new version of The Defenders, which Jeph Loeb mentioned is a possibility.

I just think that Marvel with end its deal with Netflix after they've run their course in 2019. Meaning, no more new or continuing Marvel series on Netflix.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  9. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Cloak and Dagger has a mature tone and subjects but the violence, language and sex is nowhere near the orbit of a NF MCU series. I think you may be reading too much into the reference on Luke Cage. Marvel TV is still overseeing all these projects and ensures that they are set within the same universe. AOS referencing DD S2 and LC S1 in minor ways is another example.

As for where the R-rated content goes, the general belief (and there may have been a statement to this effect) is that they'll likely go to Hulu since Disney gained a large share of that in the Fox deal. That doesn't mean they'll move the NF-owned shows to Hulu.

Sith_Sensei__Prime likes this.
  10. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    I think the most recent seasons of The Defenders, Jessica Jones, Luke Cage, The Punisher and Iron Fist have really toned down their graphic violence and sexual content. I really don't remember anything in the latest seasons of the properties that would warrant an R Rating or be altered for a PG-13 audience that could fit in something like Freefrom.

I'm for sure reading way too much in to the Luke Cage connection in Cloak and Dagger, but that's the fun of being a non-toxic fanboy.

Yeah, I read speculation that Hulu might be the landing spot of the assets that Disney acquired from Fox. But after the Disney/Fox deal closes, Disney would only own 60% percent of Hulu. To me, it doesn't much sense for Disney to dump the Fox properties they acquired at a cost of $71.3 billion on Hulu to share 40% of any of the revenues generated with Comcast (whom caused Disney to up there original offer) and AT&T. And Comcast is once again threatening the Disney/Fox deal by going after Fox's Sky assets in Europe.

Here's the basic thing, with Disney creating their own streaming service, they'll be in direct competition with Netflix. And therefore, I don't see Disney continuing a collaborative relationship with Netflix beyond the expiration of their current deal. Once the deal between Marvel and Netflix is terminated, Marvel could just create a new series called Hell's Kitchen (ala Gotham) that would include Daredevil and anyone else they want.

Personally, I'd rather see the deal end between Netflix and Marvel because outside of Daredevil, the content hasn't been very good as they're doing these shows on a dime. The last season of Jessica Jones was barely anything that resembled a show featuring a character with super powers. And Iron Fist has very limited use of a glowing fist, his signature power. I feel, if these shows move over to a Disney platform, they'll have better budgets and therefore better produced shows.

11. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    yah I don't think Punisher was toned down at all. In fact, Punisher has the first MCU f-bomb, when Micro is helping Frank with a battle wound or whatever he says "****" under his breath!

12. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    I barely remember much from season one of The Punisher. Perhaps I'm a little skewed with my thinking of R-Rated content as I've watch quite a bit of shows on FX and AMC that flirt with an R-Rating. I mean, The Walking Dead and Fear The Walking Dead always have people being eaten alive.

13. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    SSP didn’t mention the language at all. BCS also had its first uncensored “****” three weeks ago. Language would not stop a move to freeform.

14. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    Full season three trailer.

15. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
  16. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    Yeah, this trailer definitely hits the bullseye.

And it also shows why Daredevil is superior to all the other Netflix Marvel series. For one, it just looks so awesome. Two, this really does feel like a trilogy as they didn't kill off Kingpin but rather actually create as much as a story arc for him as they do for Daredevil. The series did right by Wilson Fisk.

17. Bilbo Fett

Bilbo Fett Force Ghost star 5

Apr 19, 2017
    So .. who is the faux DD?

18. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    As SSP just hinted, Bullseye is the most likely candidate.

19. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Though I'm not necessarily arguing, but seeing as how the other shows haven't had their third season (or had it air) yet, it's difficult to single out the "trilogy" approach yet. JJS2 felt like a direct extension of JJS1, for instance, even if it no longer had the same villain (but, then, JJ's main opponent has always been her past traumas rather than one singular individual even if Kilgrave fully embodies one)- but we won't really know until we see where the characters go next season. I just started LCS2 so I can't really comment on that or IFS2 yet, though I suspect they'll be more individually distinct seasons than DD or JJ. And Punisher could go either way with Jigsaw.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2018
  20. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    I'll say this.

*** Season One Spoilers of Marvel Netflix series ahead. ***

Season One of Daredevil the big boss was Kingpin. Wasn't killed off, but rather spared to spend time in prison.

Season One of Jessica Jones, the big boss was Killgrave and was killed off. I feel Jessica will always be suffering from PTSD and will be character trait rather than an opponent to overcome.

Season One of Luke Cage, the big boss was Cottonmouth and was killed off. Many critics and fans said that's when they lost interest in the series. And the way season two ends is in stark contrast to the happenings of Daredevil in terms where the character is left off.

Season One of Iron Fist, the big boss was the Hand and Harold Meacham, who was killed off. And the Hand was resolved in The Defenders.

Season One of The Punisher, I don't recall a big boss, but rather a conspiracy to cover up the killing of an innocent Afghan man by the US military.

21. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    @Diggy I legitimately have no idea what he's on about but I think he wants to marry a Ford 150.

Diggy likes this.
  22. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    The big boss in Punisher was a two-fer, the guy behind the black ops team and Billy who Frank made his face quite a jigsaw in the finale.

23. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    @Ender Sai seems like a 250.

Ender Sai likes this.
  24. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Oh, I read that as two 150s, and an impassioned plea for legal recognition of polygamy.

Diggy likes this.
  25. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    So prison corridor to be the episode 2 long one shot fight? If so that means a lot of Fisk in this, which can only be good.