main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph HBO's Watchmen

Discussion in 'Community' started by Adam of Nuchtern, May 8, 2019.

1. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    I forget the exact quote about life at the end of the Watchmen comic but it ends with "I think I'll go create some. So he's on Mars creating life?

I do like the idea that Adrian is a prisoner on Mars but I do wish to see or hear about why Doc M decided to take him off the Earth instead of just leaving him there on Earth as when he left.

In honor of the Doc M toy scene, from Attack Of The Show:

2. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    The car falls (and many suspect it is Angela's van) and then right after, Laurie looks up and sees a bright star (Mars) which it seems indicates that John heard her. This makes sense especially after she had lamented that she didn't think he was listening. That he then tossed her a 'brick' makes sense and explains her laughing at the end

As to Irons

Listening to The Game Warden's letter, the implication is that Adrian agreed to certain terms upon his arrival. That begs the question of whether John imprisoned Veidt on his own (if that is the case) or if Adrian requested it and John agreed so long as their were rules which included creations of his keeping Adrian company. The other option that I am not ruling out is Lady Trieu. We meet her this coming episode and given she is a trillionaire, it is not hard to fathom her creating a giant island prison for Adrian along with the resources he would need to make his clones of Philips and Crookshanks.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  3. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    I'm very much enjoying this series. They done a wonderful job with the Laurie Blake character (aka Silk Spectre II). Right off the bat, they made her character impactful, insightful and a badass. Which was embodies when she stepped into the elevator with the other suits. Now she got jokes like her dear old dad, she is her father's daughter. Although, I think Rorschach was the only character that told a joke in the source material/film. Anyway, her jokes were quite telling. We'll see if she's truly a god killer.

The show has done a wonderful job in making every featured character interesting as well as the subplots and tangent story lines.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  4. Mortimer Snerd

Mortimer Snerd Force Ghost star 4

Dec 27, 2012
    So having rewatched the first three episodes again...

I am fully on board with @PymParticles theory about Will Reeves being Hooded Justice. If he's not, it would certainly seem like a meaningless red herring.

5. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    The writers said the giant blue sex toy is not just there as a giant blue sex toy. There are any number of pages speculating on its symbology, but the writers seem to hint there is more to it.

6. Mortimer Snerd

Dec 27, 2012
    I bet they thought long and hard about that.

7. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    Yeah, I'm sure there's more to it than just good vibrations.

8. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    I'm sure the answer is deeper than some think.

9. Mortimer Snerd

Dec 27, 2012
    Sixteen more minutes...this is brutal.

10. Bacon164

Bacon164 Chosen One star 8

Mar 22, 2005
    That was some weird ****

11. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    So Lady Trieu is certainly an interesting addition:

Guess Will really did kill Judd. My guess is Judd was getting too close to whatever Will and Trieu are planning. I also wonder if the 7th Kalvary is what they are using as a smokescreen. Not sure if Senator Keene is also involved.

Curious how Laurie got figured out Trieu’s vehicles were involved. They sort of ignored that.

Pretty clear now that Veidt was imprisoned and that Jon was their maker. What is not yet clear is whether Jon put Adrian there or if someone else did. I still think Lady Trieu is behind Veidt’s imprisonment. I think she wanted the smartest man out of the way as she likely saw him as the only one to stop whatever she and Will are planning. And given that Lady Trieu can just make babies, we should not rule her out as possibly even being the maker of Philips and Crookshanks yet- though Manhattan is still the most likely suspect.

Thanks to Petey, we know that we should not trust Minutemen the tv show which helps with the theory that Will is Hooded Justice.

Lot of interesting backstory hinted at tonight. Wonder what Cal’s accident was and why he would need to hide it from Laurie.

Mortimer Snerd likes this.
  12. Bilbo Fett

Bilbo Fett Force Ghost star 5

Apr 19, 2017
    Curiouser and curiouser is really the only way to describe this series so far.

I wonder if Adrian's experiments with the trebuchet are behind the alien squid events. Like maybe that is what his ready made "servants" devolve (or evolve) into after traveling through space?

13. Mortimer Snerd

Dec 27, 2012
    Ok...I have a slightly out of left field theory about Lady Trieu.

What if she and Laurie are half sisters? If her empire was built on medical and bio tech, obviously with an advanced ability to grow babies, is it not possible that she's the daughter of the woman killed by the Comedian (her own father in this case) in the bar in Vietnam? The last we ever saw of her was as a recently shot woman on the floor with Dr. Manhattan looking down on her in a contemplative way. The very next panel is Dr. Manhattan at the Comedian's funeral in the same exact pose/expression. Perhaps in that moment we never see is his decision to save the unborn child and imbue it with a knowledge that would make it all but impossible to fail in life. She's probably been in intermittent contact with him her whole life. She's also the one whose company would go on to create the Dr. Manhattan phone booths. She knew when and where something was going to fall out of the sky and appropriated the land with an offer that couple couldn't possibly say no to. She's about the right age. I think her daughter is a clone of herself, having inexplicable dreams of the horrors of was as a child, suggesting that somehow some elements of consciousness could be passed from one person to their clones. I also think she's the one who's imprisoned Adrian Veidt...her tech once again supporting that, especially the pond of babies. The lobster trap baby harvesting scene was equally hilarious and weird. I need to watch it again but these are the thoughts that have been stewing around for me all morning.

14. Mortimer Snerd

Dec 27, 2012
    This has got to be Petey.

[​IMG]

15. JEDI-SOLO

JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost star 6

Feb 12, 2002
    That last was rather freaky! Lube Man!

don’t want to jinx it but if it keeps up this quality it ll easily be the best of 19’ for me.

Mortimer Snerd likes this.
  16. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    Watching this makes me sad. G4 was my jam back in the day. X-Play and AOTS were really formative for me as a kid.

17. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    Jean Smart is excellent. I mean, she was good in Legion, but here she's got much more to sink her teeth into and she's killing it.

18. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    I still have no idea what is going on but love this show all the same.

BigAl6ft6 and soitscometothis like this.
  19. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    Well its very much more Lindelof than Moore .

So is Nite-Owl in prison , was that the implication?
    The general public are unaware that Veidt created the giant squid still , right?

in the back of the Watchmen book there's notes about the characters , it seems that Hooded Justice was originally called Brother Night !

20. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Dan, Nite Owl II, is indeed in prison, according to supplemental materials (and obviously hinted at heavily in the show itself).

Amazing catch with Brother Night! I didn't read that part. I'm re-reading the graphic novel right now though.

21. Mortimer Snerd

Dec 27, 2012
  22. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
    "Recharge nightly". "Place in boiling water between uses" [face_hypnotized]

23. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    I mean, it has the power of a god.

24. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
    Tough act to follow for Nite Owl if he gets out. Esp at his age.

solojones likes this.
  25. Mortimer Snerd

Dec 27, 2012
    Made by him though. Maybe he's got a humiliation fetish.