main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

RJ Trilogy The Rian Johnson Trilogy

Discussion in 'Star Wars: Future Films - Spoilers Allowed' started by Darth Chiznuk , Dec 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blackhole E Snoke

Blackhole E Snoke Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 26, 2016
    Down in the fans opinion, not that of the access media and reviewers that score movies on their wokeness.

2. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    Nah. I'll tell you what we're not going to do, we're not going to play the "SJW/feminist agenda/Woke" game in here.

3. Blackhole E Snoke

Apr 26, 2016
    It is a reality, not a game, but ok we won't talk about it here.

4. El_Machete12

El_Machete12 Jedi Master star 2

Oct 30, 2012
    I was always a bit soft on Rian. I didn't love The Last Jedi, but I do recognize the how wonderfully crafted it is. Some story decisions aside, it's just a beautiful, visually stunning, and emotional film. It is also the only new Star Wars film that, to me, feels like it has the heart of the creator behind it. I enjoy the other films, particularly Solo and to an extent TROS, but they felt rather surface level at times and (especially in the case of the spin offs) felt a little too corporate or made-by-committee. Star Wars always had the heart of George behind it, but when he sold the company he basically passed the torch down.

TFA, Rogue One, Solo, TROS are all films I enjoy as a fan in different ways, but they all felt like someone trying to make a Star Wars movie with nostalgia taking the wheel rather than it just being an aspect of the movie. Again, I can't reiterate enough how thoroughly I enjoy the new films, but the heart of the creator just isn't there. When I watch Star Wars, I sit down to watch something from the mind and heart of George Lucas. I may not completely enjoy all his films, but I can feel every ounce of his creativity and personality poured into them. That aspect just isn't there for the new films.

With Last Jedi, it is perhaps the only film where I feel that, but with Rian Johnson instead... because it feels like a Rian Johnson Star Wars film. Considering how I love the rest of his work, I find that amazing and heartwarming. Now I don't think the movie is perfect, but it's genuine nature goes a long way to cover up any faults it has... well that and the sheer brilliance of the parts I do like. I feel quite similarly with The Mandolorian. You can feel Jon and (to a certain extent) Dave's love and understanding of the Star Wars mythos in every episode, making it project as a genuine story and not like a corporate nostalgia-trip that it could have easily been.

TROS was quite a ride. It wasn't perfect and will inspire debate among fans for years to come, not unlike TLJ has. But after the generally mushy-gushy ending of the saga with TROS I'm ready to see a slate of films where Rian has free reign. The dude seems to understand the emotional, mythological, and Campbellian aspects of Star Wars, and seeing his own take on the universe built from the ground up just sounds like too good of an opportunity for Lucasfilm to pass up. The internet will go crazy, but hey maybe he could win some detractors to his side with another film.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2020
  5. ladygrey45

ladygrey45 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 30, 2015
    Like now really isn’t the time for him he should make more great original works.

6. Darth_Articulate

Darth_Articulate Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    Agreed. His own SW trilogy would be a great original work! Now is this time!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. BalanceOfTheForce

BalanceOfTheForce Jedi Master star 4

Dec 18, 2016
    I still don't think Rian will direct or write another Star Wars movie ever again. The damage TLJ did to the franchise is really clear now and all the praise Rian is getting for Knives Out will probably make him want to stick to original films instead.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2020
  8. Merrin

Merrin Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 12, 2019
    I certainly hope this trilogy is still going to happen. TLJ is the only reason I still have some hope for Disney Star Wars after TRoS.

9. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    He's just making a film that is called "Trilogy". HA! Joke's on you! Shuck it Trebec

10. Harbour

Harbour Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 15, 2015
    Id wish to know what RJ deep down thinks about TLJ. If he regrets some decision he made, i can see him wanting to prove himself as good SW maker.
    But if he is not, then i see no reason why he would want to make that trilogy. He strikes me as the guy who always want to implement own idea whether its original story or established franchise. He may very well want to make only his own stuff without people calling him out constantly.

As for his chances to get it - they are literally 1%. Business is business.

ImpKnight likes this.
  11. JFettG

JFettG Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 12, 2002
    I really enjoyed TLJ, even with its flaws, and I liked his "take" in one of the saga films. With that said, I think this year we will hear about him and LFL parting ways over "creative differences" to appease the people who hate TLJ with everything they have.

It's unfortunate because I think he can make a SW movie removed from the saga that would be refreshing and would surprise those that disliked TLJ. The saga films are always going to be hit or miss with fans because we all have preconceived ideas or thoughts on how these characters should act and expectations of their future. A new story and characters completely changes that.

12. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    How is it clear, exactly? The fact that TROS is on track to make at least one billion worldwide, once and for all, puts to rest the ridiculous conspiracy theory that Solo's disappointing box-office was down to universal hate of TLJ. I mean, think about it, surely TROS would be doing a lot worse if that were true? Or are you referring to another bit of evidence?

13. rocknroll41

rocknroll41 Jedi Master star 4

May 28, 2013
    With the reports yesterday and today suggesting that Project Luminous is gonna set the stage for the next cycle of movies, I’m starting to believe less and less that RJ’s trilogy will still happen.

Glitterstimm and Krueger like this.
  14. PymParticles

Oct 1, 2014
    Unless they fit into this in some capacity, or they've been merged with it. If this is an extension of what Benioff & Weiss were working on, Rian Johnson would have been a part of the meetings with them and Kennedy back in May. We also still have Kevin Feige's movie, which sounds like it's a one-off, but the thing about MSW's description is it doesn't sound like this is going to be structured like a continuing "Part 1, Part 2, etc." single narrative like we're used to, but rather a collection of different films set in the same timeline that collectively build a bigger picture.

So while I don't personally think he'll be involved, there's still technically room for RJ's concept to exist in this tapestry, even if it's not as a trilogy. It's just impossible to say at this juncture in time.

EHT and rocknroll41 like this.
  15. Glitterstimm

Glitterstimm Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2017
    Knives Out seemed to confirm that he's found a niche for Hollywood-izing liberal politics and I wouldn't be surprised if his next film is another topical comedy that dresses up as a genre flick. I'm not sure LFL has room for that right now.

rocknroll41 and DarthFixxxer like this.
  16. Darth Buzz

Darth Buzz Jedi Master star 4

Jun 25, 2018
    This report makes me thing RJ is definitely still in play. The rumor was alway B&W to explore the past and RJ to do films in the future of the Skywalker Saga. This report sounds like the past confirmation was correct, and when they figure out what they want to do with Star Wars post Skywalker Saga, that will belong to Rian Johnson.

17. zackm

zackm Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 22, 2015
    I'm guessing everything will be part of Project Luminous.

rocknroll41 likes this.
  18. PymParticles

Oct 1, 2014
    It sounds like Project Luminous is a more elaborate version of the "Journey to Star Wars: Insert Title Here" initiatives we'd seen in the lead-up to each ST film, but instead of preceding a specific film it'l be building up to an entire era.

Mostly Handless and rocknroll41 like this.
  19. Blackhole E Snoke

Apr 26, 2016
    Only 1 billion is a huge failure. That is half as much as it should be making as the conclusion to their new trilogy (and being massively marketed as a conclusion to the whole star wars saga).

20. PymParticles

Oct 1, 2014
    For what I promise you is the eight billionth time, I counted, this is not the place to discuss The Last Jedi (there are many threads for that) or the box office results of The Rise of Skywalker (there is one thread for that). The next person, I swear to Babu Frik, who tries to turn this into a "TLJ ruined Star Wars RJ ruined Star Wars" conversation will be taking a vacation from these forums.

ewoksimon, EHT, TCF-1138 and 2 others like this.
  21. ladygrey45

Dec 30, 2015
    Yeah idk if he will make them tbh - unless he’s the one behind these new films which I don’t know there’s a lot of love from directors of the Mando. also how like offical is Jason Ward does his stuff usually come true?? Has he ever been right??? everyone takes it as gospel and I’m like ??

22. Aximili86

Aximili86 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 28, 2018
    Yeah, Ward's stuff comes true. Like 80%ish of the time, he & Paxis are about the only ones worth taking seriously on SW news outside of the actual trades.

Given there's someone else saying it too and the two reports match up, it's accurate in the basics.

23. ladygrey45

Dec 30, 2015
    Yeah I hope it’s first jedi and sith luke a battle between the two this is exciting this basically what I wanted.

24. Aximili86

Aximili86 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 28, 2018
    "First" Jedi and Sith? 400 years before EpI?

Uhh...

But I guess more on topic, doesn't sound like this is what Rian's working on anyway, it's the Thrones' guys' thing, being passed off to new people.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2020
  25. rocknroll41

rocknroll41 Jedi Master star 4

May 28, 2013
    I’m starting to think that whoever reported that the B&W trilogy was supposed to be about the Jedi origins misunderstood the info they were given. They probably heard that the next cycle of films would take place 400 years before the Skywalker saga and would focus on a group of Jedi, and simply jumped to conclusions and assumed that meant “Jedi origins.” The reporter of that info was from Hollywood Reporter or Deadline or something, so I assume he or she wasn’t a big starwars fan, and was unfamiliar with the fact that Jedi have actually existed for thousands of years before the Skywalkers.

PymParticles likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.