main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate Pandemics in the Age of Globalization: Coronavirus (COVID-19) Discussion: See OP Warning

Discussion in 'Community' started by Darth Punk , Jan 21, 2020.

1. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Yes, we’re a Super Tuesday state.

Princess_Tina likes this.
  2. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Funny thing about that - apparently the 'boring' (read: anything Trump doesn't care about) parts of the convention will still be held in Charlotte, because the RNC didn't want to get sued for breach of contract.

3. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Yep. And we’ll still lose some money but those delegates will still need hotel rooms and food, so we won’t lose as much. Best case scenario for us.

4. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    Well as they say, always look on the bright side of life. [:D]

Last edited: Jun 11, 2020
  5. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    Well, that's a start. But can they also add an agreement that these idiots won't seek medical care as well?

6. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    They should. They definitely should. Unfortunately the medical personnel in the area will have to deal with the Covid surge. It's a very unfair situation.

7. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I have two COVID masks (is that the term?) one for winter and one for summer. I'm ready. I'M READY FOR A CENTURY OF COVID.

8. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    On cue, DeSantis is saying that the spike in Florida is due to "increased testing".

Seminole County, in Central Florida, indicated that testing there actually dropped as the number of new cases in the county rose.

Rew likes this.
  9. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    I can't imagine any GOP officials being able to stick to a believable, coherent story, it's all scapegoating and blame-shifting. And also, refusing to follow the best scientific advice, because science is for liberals, apparently.

10. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Vote the sacks of **** out of office in November. I know that I am going to.

11. black_saber

black_saber Force Ghost star 5

Apr 4, 2002

The only way out of this pandemic and for it to end is a vaccine. Phase 3 starts testing in July.

12. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    Or, in the words of the Twit-In-Chief:

13. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    In breaking news, the UK economy shrank a record 20.4% in April, due to the coronavirus lockdown.

14. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012

what a good boy, he knows his lines. Meanwhile, hospitalizations in FL are going up. But I suppose that’s because of increased testing as well. Or something.

15. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Hospitalizations are going up because of unrelated pneumonia and suffocation incidents, clearly.

16. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    Have read more detailed data about the economic downturn in th UK. Almost everything has been down sharply save for 2 categories -- e-commerce has gone up by 30% and online groceries up 84%

Last edited: Jun 12, 2020
  17. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    That's presuming Trump doesn't declare himself Palpatine and cancel the elections.

18. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    I have a bad feeling about this... [face_worried]

The pandemic seems to be completely out of control in Latin America, it doesn't look like any of the major countries have even been able to flatten the curve significantly. Most LatAm economies were not doing so great even before the pandemic...

19. Vaderize03

Vaderize03 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 25, 1999
    The lying about this will stop when hospitals are forced to ration resources and/or turn people away. We're almost at that point in Arizona. Florida isn't far behind.

No amount of obfuscating will hide the truth once that line is crossed.

Nobody145, Rew, Pensivia and 6 others like this.
  20. Lordban

Lordban Isildur's Bane star 7

Nov 9, 2000
    I can think of quite a bit of obfuscating to hide the truth well after that line is crossed. It happened earlier this year. It just requires a bit more authoritarianism than Americans are used to.

Rew likes this.
  21. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    I don't think the majority of Americans would put up with it, especially as the shutdown of hospitals would affect a very wide sector of the public - I could be wrong about it but I don't think people will put up with authoritarianism when everyone's lives (even those who don't have covid) are on the line.

22. Lordban

Nov 9, 2000
    Unfortunately, when the authoritarian plays their cards well, putting up with a lot they didn't use to accept is exactly what enough people do...

23. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    Personally I have a lot to deal with with generalized anxiety stuff, and I do find it better to try (as much as humanly possible) not to engage in catastrophizing. Having said that, I was already preparing for the worst since November 2016. I can see why many people like you think it could get much uglier yet (the idea doesn't seem completely unfounded) but I'm trying to hold on to a little bit of optimism.
    I mean it's hard to imagine 2021 being significantly worse than 2020, right? At some point things have to start looking up.

24. Lordban

Nov 9, 2000
    Then by all means do hold on to optimism - it is what would be required should dark times come.

I don't think they will, mind you. But I can't exclude it altogether.

25. Runjedirun

Runjedirun Force Ghost star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    I'm back at work. There's a sneeze guard on my desk. Numbers in Fairfax, VA have been so good this week. But we rolled into phase 2 now and I am worried. All I can do is wear my mask while out, wash and sanitize my hands. I only go out for work and food still.

Watching the theme parks in Florida open is scary. It's like watching a train wreck, I can't look away.

Pensivia and Juliet316 like this.