main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit [Fantasy Flight Games] Because it just keeps getting better

Discussion in 'Literature' started by The Loyal Imperial, Sep 7, 2012.

1. sidv88

sidv88 Force Ghost star 5

Aug 22, 2005
    I still remember the days when we were debating whether Zayne Carrick would turn into Darth Nihilus or Darth Bandon. Then the Old Republic bulldozed all that with their Carrick Station business.

2. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    I remember the days when Darth Bandon was one of the most Google searched Sith names outside of Sidious, Vader and Revan.

3. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Never heard of him.

Hopeless likes this.
  4. sidv88

sidv88 Force Ghost star 5

Aug 22, 2005
    You should go play Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic (available on Steam and GOG) as soon as you can. Not just a good Star Wars game, but one of the greatest computer games of all time.

StartCenterEnd likes this.
  5. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    To be fair, I think one can easily have played KOTOR and still not remember who Darth Bandon was. He's not too colorful as Sith go. :p

(I think TOR's hilarious Smuggler Alderaan storyline actually helps here).

6. anakincol

anakincol Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2009
    His armor was kinda nice though

7. son_of_skywalker03

son_of_skywalker03 Force Ghost star 4

Dec 7, 2003
    sidv88 likes this.
  8. Giovs

Giovs Jedi Master star 3

Apr 29, 2013
    Anyone plays the Outer Rim boardgame? Is it worth buying?

my kind of scum likes this.
  9. JediBatman

JediBatman Jedi Master star 4

May 3, 2015
    I played it a while ago when it first came out, but haven't played since. (That dosn't necessarily mean anything though, I love the hell out of Rebellion but haven't played that in a while either cuz things get busy).

I remember it being fun, but I also remember being a bounty hunter was annoying because I spent a long time landing on random planets and hoping that they had the bounty I was looking for. Also I played a two player game, it might be better with more players.

Giovs likes this.
  10. FS26

FS26 Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 8, 2018
    On the RPG-side, Sam Gregor-Stewart, former RPG manager at FFG, has been hired as RPG manager at Edge Studios, which means he will continue working on the Star Wars RPG, Genesys, etc. Hope that they'll also take at least some of the other staff on board as well

11. DarkEagle

DarkEagle Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 10, 2009
  12. bsmith7174

bsmith7174 Jedi Master star 3

Apr 17, 2015
    I’m probably out of the loop but can you clarify? Is the Star Wars rpg continuing in its current form or is it being “rebooted”?

13. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    Do you have to get friends over and set aside a chunk of time to play these games in-person? Or can you just have someone set it up in their living room, and then use a smartphone camera or something and play with people over the internet?

14. KerkKorpil

KerkKorpil Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 7, 2016
    For the board games, yes. In person is required although there is sort of a PC Version for X-Wing in a game called Tabletop Simulator.

For the role playing game you can get the rules and play over the internet. I’ve played using discord which even has a die roller plugin.

Mario
    @Korpil

Alpha-Red likes this.
  15. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    You can play board games over the internet if both people have the game. People were playing chess by mail hundreds of years ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    That sounds incredibly fun, actually.

17. FS26

FS26 Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 8, 2018
    It's likely that the Star Wars RPG will continue as it is. Asmodee, FFG's parent company, dissolved the RPG departments of their separate companies and transfered the licenses to a single new company, Edge Studio. Edge now holds the Star Wars role-playing license, and since it's ultimately still the same publisher I don't think they're going to create a new game; as for the Star Wars board and table-top games, FFG will continue to be producing those themselves.
    Most of the solid info we have on upcoming things from Edge/FFG deals with the in-house products, such as Genesys and Legend of the Five Rings, but since those seem to continue more or less unchanged on the consumer end I'm pretty certain Star Wars will as well.

bsmith7174 likes this.
  18. son_of_skywalker03

son_of_skywalker03 Force Ghost star 4

Dec 7, 2003
    FFG has been developing a "solo mode" for X-wing. I'm not sure where they are with finalizing it.

Alpha-Red likes this.
  19. DarkEagle

Jan 10, 2009
    Obviously in person is better, but you can play online. For Xwing, there's a Tabletop Simulator (TTS) add-on that people use to play each other. There's also a Vassal mod that serves the same purpose. TTS looks nicer but costs money ($10 - $20), so it comes down to preference. There's also Fly Casual which is a program that lets you play against an ai. I recommend Fly Casual if you're starting out and learning how to play--it's pretty user friendly. FC's advantage is that it has the rules baked-in whereas vassal or TTS are just simulators and do very little rule-wise on their own. As S_O_S pointed out, Xwing has a single player rule set to approximate a real game; I think FC works better for that purpose though.

You could play with a camera and a set-up, but the distance player will be at a sizeable disadvantage because it will be difficult to guage distances and angles. Better to play online imo

Legion has a TTS add-on as well, not sure how popular the online scene is for that.

Pretty sure Armada has TTS and Vassal mods too, but I haven't tried them out

Last edited: Aug 2, 2020
  20. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Did anyone get a copy of the RPG Starships and Speeders book? It looks like FFG put out a very limited run of the book, and copies are selling for $150 on Amazon.

DarthJaceus likes this.
  21. DarkEagle

Jan 10, 2009
    Asmodee is moving the Star Wars miniatures from FFG to Atomic Mass Games (also owned by Asmodee)
    Atomic Mass Games Takes Its First Steps Into The Star Wars™ Miniatures Games Galaxy
    Development of Star Wars: X-Wing, Star Wars: Armada, and Star Wars: Legion Moving from Fantasy Flight Games to Asmodee’s Miniatures Games-Focused Studio

SEATTLE, WA, November 16, 2020 – In a strategic reorganization of its Star Wars miniatures titles, Asmodee is announcing today that oversight of its three Star Wars miniatures titles will be moving to their dedicated miniatures games studio, Atomic Mass Games.

Development of all future miniatures games will be handled by Atomic Mass as well. The move to a specialty studio positions Asmodee’s miniatures titles for even greater success in the future.

“Atomic Mass is committed to bringing people together through fun games, and Star Wars has been bringing people together through the power of myth and story for over 40 years,” Steve Horvath, Head of US Publishing, said. “Combining their talent with the strength of our current Star Wars miniatures games and the limitless possibilities of a galaxy far, far away is going to lead to incredible new experiences for tabletop gamers and Star Wars fans to enjoy.”

Simone Elliott, who has shepherded Fantasy Flight’s relationship with Lucasfilm Licensing since 2015, will lead Atomic Mass Games during this time of expansion as Head of Studio. Will Shick assumes primary creative oversight as Head of Product Development. Joining them will be key members of the teams involved in the creation and evolution of Fantasy Flight’s current Star Wars miniatures games, Star Wars™: X-Wing, Star Wars™: Legion, and Star Wars™: Armada.

About Atomic Mass Games
    Composed of veterans from the tabletop miniatures games industry, Atomic Mass Games is committed to delivering immersive lifestyle hobby games that combine industry leading tabletop miniatures and fast, fun, kinetic game rules to create lifelong collectors and players.

About Asmodee USA
    Asmodee USA is a sales, marketing, and distribution arm of the global Asmodee Group, a leading international company dedicated to bringing great games and amazing stories to all corners of the world. Asmodee USA represents the strongest portfolio of board games in the industry, including such favorite titles as CATAN®, Ticket to Ride, Spot It!, Pandemic, Just One, Dixit, Dead of Winter, and many more.

About Asmodee Group
    Asmodee Group is a leading international games publisher and distributor committed to telling amazing stories through great games with over 34 million games sold in more than 50 countries. Through our portfolio of iconic game titles, including CATAN®, Ticket to Ride, Pandemic, Dobble/Spot it!, Arkham Horror, Splendor, KeyForge, and Star Wars: X-Wing, we create a dynamic transmedia experience for players across a variety of digital and physical platforms. Asmodee also creates inspiring and innovative products in partnership with leading entertainment and technology companies. Asmodee operates in Europe, North America, South America and Asia and is headquartered in Guyancourt, France. Learn more at corporate.asmodee.com.

22. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    I guess that means Imperial Assault won't have any more expansions considering it wasn't even mentioned, or does that not count as a "miniatures title"?

23. DarkEagle

Jan 10, 2009
    They've previously said that IA was a "complete game" and not to expect any new physical product (they mentioned there might be scenarios or something released online, no idea of the status on that). So I don't expect any more IA stuff; same for Destiny

24. JediBatman

JediBatman Jedi Master star 4

May 3, 2015
    I'm a bit confused. So is FFG no longer involved in the miniature games at all? Or is it like they're outsourcing them to this different company?

25. DarkEagle

Jan 10, 2009
    Asmodee owns both FFG and Atomic Mass, they are moving the minis from FFG to AMG. AMG handles other minis games so this is just a consolidation of production lines (mostly/hopefully). FFG should keep going with board and card games (they don't mention Outer Rim moving) while AMG handles all the minis (they currently run the Marvel Crisis Protocol game)

JediBatman likes this.