main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussions Sek'nos Rath Discussion - A Thread to Discuss Sek'nos Rath and DOTJ

Discussion in 'EU Community' started by Tython Awakening, Jun 27, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tython Awakening

Tython Awakening Force Ghost star 4

Oct 12, 2017

[​IMG]

Sek'nos Rath is a major character in Dawn of the Jedi. Sek'nos was featured on the cover of Dawn of the Jedi: Force Storm #3. Remember that? That issue hit the stands in the April to May 2012 period. Is it time to remember Sek'nos Rath and his role in the three story arcs of Dawn of the Jedi?
    [​IMG]

Sek'nos came from a family of force healers. The matriarch of the Sek clan, Temple Master Miarta Sek, his grandmother, raised Sek'nos and taught him the healing arts of the force. Sek'nos's grandfather Thok Rath is also a Je'Daii master and helped raise Sek'nos. Young Sek'nos yearns for adventure, to be like the storied Je'Daii, past and present.

Miarta and the Sek clan came from a family of pureblood Sith, castaways, galactic representatives of their home planets, brought over to Tython in the Deep Core on board the Tho Yor in approximately 36,453 BBY.

[​IMG]

Sith Purebloods from Book of Sith

As Temple Master of QiGong Kesh, Miarta Sek teaches the Je'daii to hone their abilities in mental and sensory uses of the force. Students come to Temple QiGong Kesh to hone their force skills through mental, physical, and sensory challenges. Like all other temple masters, she guides students in the force towards becoming Je'Daii. Force Storm Issue #2 shows the Temple QiGong Kesh is built from a natural rock cavern in the silent desert. The sand in the silent desert is one of the great mysteries of Tython by having the property of nullifying all sound.
    [​IMG]

In Dawn of the Jedi: Into the Void, brother and sister Je'Daii students Lanoree and Dalien Brock journeyed to QiGong Kesh and traversed the silent desert. At Temple QiGong Kesh, Lanoree Brock expanded her abilities in the force. She trained under Je'Daii instructor Ter'Cay, a human male.
    [​IMG]

We are introduced to Sek'nos Rath as he conducts a force experiment in Force Storm Issue #2. He suffers some minor burns as a result. As he is conducting the experiment, a certain someone seems to show up out of nowhere. Will the Je'Daii on Tython ever be the same? Sek'nos's grandparents, Miarta and Thok, step in with a brief cameo and give him a reprimand.
    [​IMG]

Sek'nos continues to recite the Je'daii philosophies of balance throughout the three story arcs. Faced with the necessity of dispensing with the Rakata menace up to Force War Issue #5, Sek'nos is put into the situation of having to walk a tough line against Force Hound Trill. As he comes to the realization that Tython has been turned into a staging ground for the Rakata, Sek'nos continues to fight for the Je'Daii and expose the galactic-reaching plot of the Rakata. In the events of the Dawn of the Jedi, Sek'nos Rath is at the Je'Daii rank of Journeyer.
    I hope this thread can be a place to discuss Sek'nos Rath and his role in Dawn of the Jedi. Also, that the Sek clan are Sith purebloods who are descendants from Sith brought over on the Tho Yor is worthy of discussion.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2020
  2. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    I wonder what became of Rath after the events of DOTJ. Perhaps he brough Je’daii and Rakata teachings and Terentas to Korriban, and over time the Sith (species) refined Terentas into Terentateks? Maybe the legend of Sek’nos Rath aroused the curiosity of Ajunta Pall, XoXaan, Karness Murr, Sorzus Syn, etc.?

Last edited: Jul 8, 2020
  3. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    I wonder if there was a belief that Sek’nos Rath was wronged by his fellow Je’daii and if this was part of the founding myth of the Sith Order.

That an order named itself “Dark Lords of the Sith” makes me think that the Sith species was seen as important. I suspect this was a result of stories about Rath.

Tython Awakening likes this.
  4. Tython Awakening

Oct 12, 2017
    Well, these are the sorts of questions I hope we can discuss in this thread. There is no doubt that Sek'nos was one of the major characters in Dawn of the Jedi. He got cover #3 of Force Storm. His character was developing through most of the issues. We didn't get a glimpse of his character after Force War, Issue #5. But, we did see Sek'nos go through many life-changing events through the three arcs. His character development was one of the many casualties that resulted from the series being cut off.

To quote a lady sith in Issue #2 of Force Storm: "Sek'nos Rath told me that no has ever done this before!"

Then, Sek'nos talking out loud to himself (after some cross-gibberish): "Keep focusing Sek'nos..." "Focus...like out in the desert. Do the impossible."

Sek'nos was trying to do something unique in the QiGong Kesh Temple that was a product of his training out in the silent desert. Out popped something or someone no one had seen before. The Je'Daii Order would soon change as Force Hounds of the Rakata hastened on their approach to Tython.

Did Sek'nos's little experiment bring about the Rakata invasion or did Sek'nos gain a vision that helped prepare the Je'Daii for the arrival of the Infinite Empire?

Sek'nos got reprimands from his grandparents and minor burns as a result of the experiment. But were the Je'Daii ready to stone Sek'nos to death as a heretic to the Order? Or, were the Je'Daii ready to embrace Sek'nos as a hero?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 16, 2020
  5. Amon_Amarth

Amon_Amarth Force Ghost star 6

Jan 27, 2005
    Yes, I always thought there was a lot more to come in DOTJ, and I'm sure Sek'nos would have played a bigger role. The idea of a Sith species as Je'daii is pretty interesting. Not to mention his grandparents are awesome.

Just started re-reading DOTJ for a book club. It's amazing how much worldbuilding they did for this series. Issue 0 reads like an RPG sourcebook.

Either of those reactions sound a bit harsh for an order that practices balance. Perhaps he'd be a cautionary tale. But he'd probably end up on Bogan.

6. Tython Awakening

Oct 12, 2017
    Je'daii Daegan Lok is an interesting contrast to Sek'nos Rath. We know Lok was put on Bogan before Force Storm begins. I'm interested to go through the three arcs and compare these two.

Sek'nos could have been sent to Bogan if the Jed'aii Order found a big enough problem with him. Sek'nos loyalty remained to the Je'daii. We have some of what Daegan Lok did to get sent to Bogan.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2020
  7. Darth Invictus

Darth Invictus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 8, 2016
    Given the instrumental role the rakata player in Sith civilization, I wonder if he would have come into contact or conflict with the Rakata at some point had the series continued.

8. Tython Awakening

Oct 12, 2017
    My reading is that Sek'nos Rath intercepted the planned Rakata invasion of the Tython system early. He then continually put himself on the front line against the Rakata and their force hounds, Xesh and Trill. Sek'nos came into contact with Xesh early in the Force Storm arc. When the Rakata invasion of the Tython system reached fruition in the Force War arc, Sek'nos became imprisoned by the Rakata. Despite the Rakata infiltrating his mind and energy to throw him off-balance, Sek'nos managed to find his way back to defending Tython with the Je'Daii. The Force War arc resolved with Sek'nos's loyalty being towards the Je'daii. When you look at the brutality and genocide of the Rakata and their force hound scouts, you can see why Sek'nos rose to such a heavy response.

He did come into contact with the Rakata and their force hounds, and they did disrupt his connection to the force. Young Sek'nos had dreams of becoming a great Je'Daii and being remembered in story just like his ancestors. We don't have many examples, if any, of pureblood Sith who are Jedi.

The Rakata Infinite Empire invasion of ancient Korriban of 27,700 BBY happened before the events in the three DOTJ arcs. I'm referring to the actual story events and not the flashbacks.

[​IMG]

Daegan Lok was sent to Bogan as punishment. Daegan Lok ventured into the Chasm on Tython. Lok then experienced visions which disrupted the Je'daii Order. Some of the visions were of light swords. Other visions were of Lok, himself, becoming ruler of the Tython System. The vision of Lok ruling the Tython System was never explained.

EDIT: forgot to post my links:

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Chasm
    https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Daegen_Lok

Last edited: Aug 12, 2020
  9. Darth Invictus

Darth Invictus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 8, 2016
    Silly me, I’d forgotten the timelines there.

10. Tython Awakening

Oct 12, 2017
    Also, the Je'Daii in the three Dawn of the Jedi arcs and Into the Void were locked into the Tython System. The arrival of the Rakata Infinite Empire brought with it light swords and hyperdrives that could be backwards engineered. The Tythonese might have broken out of their system with hyperdrive technology after the events in DOTJ.

Issue #2 of Force Storm opens with Ranger Hawk Ryo on watch at Furies Gate. The text (Page 2) explains that Sleeper Ships have been launched from Furies Station out into the Deep Core but none have returned. No ship has ever been detected entering the Tython System.

So the Rakata Infinite Empire brought strife and domination to systems it conquered. With that, they brought lost technologies that were later backwards engineered. And then a holocron opened with recordings of the Kwa and their observations as they traveled the galaxy through Infinity Gates.

The Sith on Tython were not connected to the Sith on Korriban in any way as far as I can tell. The gathering that originally brought the Sith purebloods to Tython happened in approx. 36,000 BBY. My interpretation is also that the Rakata had a devastating impact on the Sith. The pureblood Sith species might have not been aligned with the dark side before its interaction with the Rakata Infinite Empire. Whatever insight there is to that question, it is obviously important for understanding galactic history in Legends, which may become galactic history in the new Disney-owned....or not...

LINK: https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Sith_(species)

According to the Kwa, the Rakata lacked moral development. The darkside is mentioned in Dawn of the Jedi in reference to the Rakata force hounds, and the Rakata as well, I think. For example, Prisoner of Bogan #3 has this in the intro page: "Xesh, a powerful warrior attuned to the dark side of the force....."

Last edited: Aug 12, 2020
  11. Tython Awakening

Oct 12, 2017
    Je'daii Daegen Lok was the rogue member of the order banished to the Bogan moon.

[​IMG]

Jedi Knight88 likes this.
  12. Jedi Knight88

Jedi Knight88 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2018
    Oh I did Not know that Thanks for the info

13. Tython Awakening

Oct 12, 2017
    How could I miss the opportunity to mention that Sek'nos Rath will be hitting the stands one month from now?

Sek'nos Rath at the Rakata Infinite Empire invasion of Tython

Here is to the many mysteries in the force that this Je'Daii and others hold

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Apparently, there are other Sek'nos Rath "Respect Threads" ....
    LIKE THIS ONE https://comicvine.gamespot.com/profile/wollfmyth209/blog/seknos-rath-respect-thread/106658/

"and a shared vision drew us all to the crash site." - Tasha Ryo, Force Storm, 2012

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 29, 2020
  14. Jedi Knight88

Sep 4, 2018
    I think I have that Comic

15. Tython Awakening

Oct 12, 2017
    Those panels are either from the beginning of the three story arcs or the end. I mixed them up so they can't give away the plot.

I guess the Sek'nos Rath Respect Thread goes through Dawn of Jedi and lists out all of Sek'nos's powers with the panel artwork.

If there is anything valuable at https://comicvine.gamespot.com/profile/wollfmyth209/blog/seknos-rath-respect-thread/106658/
    , besides displaying his force abilities, it's that the blog shows which side Sek'nos was fighting for.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 1, 2020
    Jedi Knight88 likes this.
  16. Jedi Knight88

Sep 4, 2018
    Thanks for the link.

17. Tython Awakening

Oct 12, 2017
    Variations on Force Storm #1 Flores Variant Edition cover.

Both of these draft covers are signed by Gonzalo Flores.

Also, check out the sword in the foreground for the first draft cover.

Sek'nos Rath in two different poses

I wonder if we will get any bonus artwork in the Dawn of the Jedi Epic Collection released this month?

Source:

[​IMG]

Final of Flores, Sek'nos Rath (Center, Middle) in a third pose and holding a steel sword

[​IMG]

Duursema / Parsons, Force Storm, Issue #1, Opening

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 16, 2020
  18. Jedi Knight88

Sep 4, 2018
    I would like to see some concept art too

19. Tython Awakening

Oct 12, 2017
    I guess we will find out this week when it's released Nov. 25.

I just found a Dark Empire Epic Collection scheduled for Feb 24, 2021. Dark Empire #1 is the cover art.

[​IMG]

darklordoftech and Jedi Knight88 like this.
  20. Jedi Knight88

Sep 4, 2018
    Thanks for the info^

21. Tython Awakening

Oct 12, 2017
    The release of the Dark Empire Epic collection following the Dawn of the Jedi Epic collection takes the EU back full-circle for me. In terms of world-building these collections represent, to me at least, the start point and end point for the EU (after the original trilogy). Sure, there was Legacy and other short stories that expanded the timeline further. But in terms of development and growth of the EU as an extension of George's original ideas, these collections are the start and end point for me. And he approved these stories while heading up Lucasfilm. I would like to think the EU started strong and finished strong.

Bernael Edit: Thread locked by moderator due to inactivity. Should you desire the thread reactivated please contact Sinrebirth, darthbernael, or Bardan_Jusik.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 4, 2022
    darklordoftech likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.