main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE
  2. ATTENTION: All leaks and rumors MUST be spoiler tagged. Information from official sources or the big trades do NOT need to be tagged

The Mandalorian The Music of The Mandalorian

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Current and Future Shows' started by Darth_Accipiter, Nov 12, 2019.

1. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
    it sounds like the opposite side of the coin to Moff Gideon's theme. 5 note melody, electronic drum and beat

2. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    When will the S2 soundtracks start coming out?

3. Darth_Accipiter

Feb 2, 2015
    saw a report in one of the other threads that said after Episode 12.

4. smudger9

smudger9 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 29, 2007
    Chapters 8 to 12 Soundtrack is up!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Force Smuggler likes this.
  5. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Bought several songs on iTunes, and man. I love the soundtrack, so far.

Bor Mullet likes this.
  6. smudger9

smudger9 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 29, 2007
    Track 9 is amazing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Grey Matter likes this.
  7. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    Seems we get more and more ST themes in Mando, even Snoke's theme witch is surprising.

8. Darth_Accipiter

Feb 2, 2015
  9. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    I have to say it's pretty ballsy that we've seen much of the remains of the Empire's presence throughout these episodes so far and not once has the Imperial theme/march been utilized. Ditto the Force theme in connection to the Child.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2020
    Sarge and Bor Mullet like this.
  10. Ghost Ryder

Ghost Ryder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 16, 2016
    I hadn't given the score a proper listen before, but this is cool stuff! The varied instrumentation really fits the eclectic nature of Star Wars, and there are still themes woven in (e.g. I know Gideon's now). On the orchestral side, I love the rendition of the Resistance theme in "Quite a Soldier".

And speaking of which, did the main theme (at the title card) have more orchestral backing in Chapter 12 or was I hearing things?

11. RaspyGeneral

RaspyGeneral Jedi Youngling

Nov 23, 2020
    The music totally rubs off as western. Especially with the environments like Tatooine, and the episode names such as "Gunslinger" for example. I love that they introduced a familiar theme to all these alien planets. It's very clever and fits the show well. Mando is totally like Clint Eastwood in those old Western films.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2020
  12. Generational Fan

Generational Fan Jedi Master star 4

Oct 21, 2015
    I love that they've got Ludwig Goransson producing the music for this show. Every Chapter, every sound, every piece of music (whether it be original or a blended form of something already known) just fits these scenes perfectly. I found alot of the music in this latest Chapter to sound quite haunting and Chinese and it helped to capture the landscapes and the civilized areas perfectly.

Its just sheer genius brilliance from this incredible producer.

Bor Mullet likes this.
  13. BalanceOfTheForce

BalanceOfTheForce Jedi Master star 4

Dec 18, 2016
    You could hear Ahsoka's theme from Clone Wars and Rebels in chapter 13.

14. Disciple-of-Tython

Disciple-of-Tython Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 12, 2006
    Plus, Yoda’s theme. So good!

15. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    He’s the heir to Williams. Without a doubt. The future Star Wars soundscape will be shaped by him.

Darth Derringer and DarthFixxxer like this.
  16. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    I loved the Ahsoka Theme and the Yoda theme, witch might be a tease at a Yoda cameo.

17. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    The best was the confused and melancholy recorder/ flute music (a deconstructed Mando theme, I believe) as Din was saying goodbye to Grogu. Absolutely perfect complement, in every way, to the emotional content of that moment.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2020
  18. bstnsx704

bstnsx704 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 11, 2013
    I loved the way Williams' Yoda theme was woven into Ludwig's work here, but also... I seriously appreciate that during Grogu's big Force moment, snatching the knob from Din's hand, they opted to use a variation of The Mandalorian theme instead of the Force theme. To me that moment was more about the bond between the two core characters than it was about the Force itself, and the music choice really emphasized that.

Also, worth posting here in regards to some of the really great music/sound design in this series, and how the two work in tandem with one another:

Bor Mullet and Grey Matter like this.
  19. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Yup. They could’ve just blared the music over that scene, as has been done in some other recent SW movies. Instead they took the time to use visuals, music and sound to create the most satisfying impact. This is not sloppy or milquetoast filmmaking. This is the way.

Darth Derringer likes this.
  20. Darth_Accipiter

Feb 2, 2015
    Eager to hear Boba's full theme. It reminded me of the low string accompaniment to this arrangement of Kallus' theme from Rebels. Boba's letimotif is pretty dang cool as well. Very Western, with maybe some didgeridoo in there.

also, last minute edit: the supposed Snoke/Palpatine theme is pretty generic. Kevin Kiner also used chanters as generic music for the Lothal Temple in Rebels.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2020
  21. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Ludwig is a goddamned genius.

DarthFixxxer likes this.
  22. Master Jedi Fixxxer

Master Jedi Fixxxer Force Ghost star 5

Oct 20, 2018
    He is really really amazing.

I came to this topic to say that the reason Robert Rodriguez's direction and quasi-b-movie sense worked SO WELL, is Ludwig Goransson's music. The Boba Fett theme when Boba is shown destroying the stormtroopers, with or withour his armor, elevates those scenes and transforms them from what could be cheesy action scenes, into majestic badass moments in an episode full of them. The horns of war that sound throughout Chapter 14 really added to the quality of the episode in total.

I am really disappointed they did not release all the playlists separately for Chapters 9-12, as they had done for Chapters 1-8.
    I really liked the art that went along with the original scores of each episode.

Bor Mullet likes this.
  23. Ghost Ryder

Jan 16, 2016
    I watched Chapter 1 again tonight, and noticed nearly the same variation of the Kylo / First Order motif (at least that's what I think it is) used in "Experiment" at 1:14. In "Face to Face", it's right at the beginning and then at about 1:04.

24. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Nobody ever backs me up on this, and I understand because it borders on the heretical, but I prefer Goransson’s musical approach to Star Wars to Williams.’ There, I said it. Now just let me get my beskar armor so I can deflect all the stones. ;)

25. Ghost Ryder

Jan 16, 2016
    I'll back you up on this, at least because you're free to have that preference. :) But I think the Mando score really is refreshing, and having to incorporate more of the Williams themes (as some folks expressed wanting earlier in the thread) would be restrictive. One of my favorite pieces from Williams is "Padmé's Ruminations", which has an unusual vibe for those scores but fits well, and I think it's nicely meditative on its own.

Bor Mullet likes this.