main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Amph Rocks Fall, Everyone Dies - The Tabletop RPG Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ender Sai, Aug 13, 2015.

1. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Got the new edition of Twilight: 2000 from Free League in the mail yesterday. Woo hoo!

Twilight: 2000 was a classic RPG made by Games Designer Workshop in the late 80s/early 90s; you played US military personnel in Poland (as default, you could play any nationality or locale) during World War III, predicated by a war between Russia and China. Everything spirals out of control until the inevitable use of nukes happen, and the war keeps on going. The game's default start is in a final push by NATO forces into Poland, that encounters unexpected Warsaw Pact forces that ends with both sides basically disintegrating and falling apart, and the players trapped in the middle of war-torn Poland.

The updated version keeps most of the same storyline, although with some alterations (and including Free League's home country of Sweden prominently as an alternate starting point - Sweden wasn't even mentioned in the original edition!).

2. Jedimarine

Jedimarine Force Ghost star 5

Feb 13, 2001
    Similar attitude here.

Though stupidity tends to get them maimed rather then death.
    I have issues with people (noobs or vets) who "give up" and want to re-roll.

As I tend to run campaigns with players developing their character builds well in advance, I hope for some investment.
    Accordingly, I tend to be merciful, to protect that investment.

But if the player does something REALLY dumb, or gets mad when something doesn't go their way and tries to end the character...I don't make it easy...or pretty.

2 decades before Princess Leia survived it, I had an idiot in a SW game blow himself out into space on purpose, and I made him LIVE. If you want to call it living. [face_skull]

Jedi Merkurian , Lordban and Sarge like this.
  3. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Hell, same -- I planned mine though, and planned to live (I did)... made sure the rest of the party was on the other side of the blast door, the bad guys were closing in on me, and only one easily blow-uppable access door between us and vacuum -- cut a hole with a lightsaber, cross my arms and legs, and exhale... with the shuttle flying around to try and pick me up...

Lordban and Sarge like this.
  4. Lordban

Lordban Isildur's Bane star 7

Nov 9, 2000
    My highest accomplishment in a Star Wars game to stave off certain doom is a little less glorious to retell: I waved a hand in front of Stormtroopers and told them "I'm a shrubbery".

I escaped arrest :p

InterestingLurker likes this.
  5. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    Agreed. The question I pose to my players at character creation is “why does your character wanna take up the lifestyle of the well-armed hobo?” Likewise, their opponents have their own motivations as well.

6. InterestingLurker

InterestingLurker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2011
    Honestly, my highest accomplishment was giving a *ahem* Trump-like speech to a bunch of Rebels to inspire them, saying:

"The Imperials, they're no good, folks, and I know a lot of them. They're bringing spice, they're bringing war crimes, and some - I assume - are good people."

:p

Jedi Merkurian and Lordban like this.
  7. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    [​IMG]

8. InterestingLurker

Jun 15, 2011
    Ahahaha, I hate Trump, believe me, but I wanted to make fun of him, and my player character was kinda a "fool" character.

Sarge and Lordban like this.
  9. InterestingLurker

Jun 15, 2011
    Honestly, that Mork Borg game looks pretty interesting.

Anyone play it yet?

10. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
  11. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Bruh. Too soon.

12. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    Can we say that Aragorn and the witcher would be rangers in D&D ?

13. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    The ranger class was created based on Aragorn.
    Gygax always downplayed the influence of Tolkien on D&D, whereas it actually permeated the entirety of the 1st edition.

14. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Geralt's a ranger but for reasons that get a little weird in terms of descent, it's kind of like: Aragorn inspires the ranger class, but Aragorn also inspires 80% of all fantasy protagonists going forward, Geralt is a fantasy protagonist who butts up against detective novels, this somehow makes him more like the ranger class than the archetypical ranger.

Jedi Merkurian and 3sm1r like this.
  15. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Isn't there (or wasn't there) an Investigator archetype for the Rogue class?

16. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    There was a 3E Rogue variant called the "Adventurer", but when I played it, I had one player constantly pissed off that I couldn't pick locks, etc., no matter how many times I told him "I'm not a thief, jackass"

Lordban likes this.
  17. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Yeah, but considering the investigation Geralt does is about monsters the ranger still fits better.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  18. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    One of the Ranger Archetypes is literally Monster Slayer

EDIT: From the description-

You have dedicated yourself to hunting down creatures of the night and wielders of grim magic. A Monster Slayer seeks out vampires, dragons, evil fey, fiends, and other magical threats. Trained in supernatural techniques to overcome such monsters, slayers are experts at unearthing and defeating mighty, mystical foes.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2021
    blackmyron and Lordban like this.
  19. InterestingLurker

Jun 15, 2011
    Why is it that I only see [​IMG]

20. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    I don't know, it's still showing fine on my end.

21. Lordban

Lordban Isildur's Bane star 7

Nov 9, 2000
    You seem to be hotlinking quite a bit, Mr. Lord of Memes, which often causes issues.

22. bstnsx704

bstnsx704 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 11, 2013

This Twitter thread has been the highlight of the Christmas season thus far.

23. InterestingLurker

Jun 15, 2011
    I quit Twitter and have no intention of even clicking that site for at least a few months.

Must. Resist. More. Twitter. Threads.

:p

24. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
  25. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998