main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Gaming Zelda Fans Come Hither...

Discussion in 'Community' started by alpha_red, May 11, 2004.

1. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
  2. Rew

Rew Chosen One star 5

Dec 22, 2008
    So I was a bit bored and decided to post the strengths and weaknesses of all the Zelda games, in an attempt to provide some objective insight on the games. Let me know your thoughts as well as what you think are the pros/cons of the various games!

The Legend of Zelda
    Strengths: Established the franchise, sandbox playstyle
    Weaknesses: Very primitive by later gaming standards, secrets hidden in arbitrary fashion

The Adventure of Link
    Strengths: Music, intricate combat by NES standards
    Weaknesses: Too great a departure from what made the original great, overly difficult

A Link to the Past
    Strengths: Improved on top-down play style of the original, benchmark for the Zelda series for just about every succeeding title in the franchise
    Weaknesses: More linear and not as exploration based as the original

Link's Awakening
    Strengths: Successful without series staples of Hyrule, the Triforce, Zelda, etc.; whimsical standalone title with bittersweet plot
    Weaknesses: Bound by limitations of Game Boy hardware

Ocarina of Time
    Strengths: Introduced targeting mechanism and successfully transitioned series into 3D
    Weaknesses: NPCs such as Navi and Kaepora Gaebora slow down pacing (especially early in game), many battles require waiting for an opening

Majora's Mask
    Strengths: Dark plot, deepest NPCs and side quests of the series
    Weaknesses: Time limit mechanic a deterrent for many players

Oracle of Seasons
    Strengths: Season changing mechanic well implemented, interesting boss battles
    Weaknesses: More derivative than Ages, plot much more simplistic

Oracle of Ages
    Strengths: More plot oriented than Seasons, has elaborate puzzles
    Weaknesses: Goron dance, time travel mechanic is clumsily implemented (unskippable animation each time)

The Wind Waker
    Strengths: Cel-shaded animation and art style, vibrant combat system
    Weaknesses: Island exploration can be repetitive, the Triforce shard quest near the end was anticlimactic

Four Swords
    Strengths: Randomized stages makes for a fresh experience each playthrough
    Weaknesses: Multiplayer required, unless you purchased and downloaded the Anniversary Edition on DSiWare during the relatively short window it was available

Four Swords Adventures
    Strengths: Best Zelda multiplayer party game (easy to play single player too), fun formations and battles; features Shadow Link, Vaati, and Ganon
    Weaknesses: Extremely linear, items can only be held temporarily

The Minish Cap
    Strengths: Shrinking mechanic is well implemented, Ezlo's and Vaati's backstory is well done
    Weaknesses: Game is a bit small, Kinstone fusion mechanic can be wonky

Twilight Princess
    Strengths: Music, cinematic moments, Midna's character development, hidden skills to acquire, and some of the best dungeons in the series
    Weaknesses: Slow start, too many sequences forcing you to play as Wolf Link, Ganondorf and Zelda feel tacked on at the end

Phantom Hourglass
    Strengths: Ship navigation mechanic is good, Linebeck is a good character, and boss battles are fun
    Weaknesses: Temple of the Ocean King, controls are difficult to get used to, barebones plot

Spirit Tracks
    Strengths: Improves on a lot of what was lacking in Phantom Hourglass, better plot, music, and central dungeon (Tower of Spirits)
    Weaknesses: Train mechanic makes travel very limiting and a chore, worse bosses, and difficult controls are the same

Skyward Sword
    Strengths: Music, dungeons, one of the strongest stories in the series, interesting characters
    Weaknesses: Very linear gameplay, motion controls are a deterrent (only partially resolved with HD remake), The Imprisoned

A Link Between Worlds
    Strengths: Based on A Link to the Past but less linear, great music, wall mechanic is well done
    Weaknesses: Mini-games are annoying, travel between Hyrule and Lorule can be cumbersome

Tri Force Heroes
    Strengths: Surprisingly good music, more cooperative multiplayer gameplay than the Four Swords titles
    Weaknesses: Poorly implemented single player mode, cringeworthy plot

Breath of the Wild
    Strengths: Huge overworld to explore, vast amount of content, dynamic combat, beautiful art style and environments
    Weaknesses: Weapon durability system, weak story (marginally improved by DLC), repetitive shrines, lacks many traditional Zelda series gameplay elements

3. InterestingLurker

InterestingLurker Force Ghost star 5

Jun 15, 2011
    Breath of the Wild 2 trailer at The Game Awards this year.

Yay or nay?

Who's placing their bets that it'll happen?

4. InterestingLurker

Jun 15, 2011
    Apparently there's a rumor going around that there will be Remakes of the "Oracles" games.

5. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 7 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    I'd be down for that. Like Link's Awakening I never played them back in the day so pretty remakes (or a single combined remake) for the Switch would be perfect.

6. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Yeah, plus they could reuse assets & tech from the LA Remake.

Probably too much to hope for them resurrecting the cancelled Zelda II remake third installment as a bonus feature aside the two Oracles.

InterestingLurker likes this.
  7. InterestingLurker

Jun 15, 2011
    This has been a dream of mine since I learned about that third installment that never saw the light of day...

8. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    At this point it's unlikely- I could see a real Zelda II remake one day, but it would be unconnected to the OOX duo. Basically, once they changed Zelda 1 into Ages (I think), Z2 being a sidescroller wouldn't really fit in with it and Seasons any longer. Even if we've evolved past the problems of the password system that caused the project to be downscaled in the first place.

9. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony 18x Wacky Wednesday Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    I'd love a top-down remake of Zelda II or even in the style of BotW. I never understood the level up system, so if they could replace or improve on that, I think that would be beneficial to the gameplay experience.

10. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    A top-down remake of Z2 wouldn't be Z2, though. That's all about the combat system and platforming. You could do a 3D remake of Z2, though.

The level system is not intuitive, but does make sense after awhile. They just need to lower the level-up thresholds so that there's a more balanced difficulty with less grinding involved.

Basically, you have the opportunity to level up an ability at each of those XP milestones (or any below it). You can decide to take the first one available or bank the XP to try for a higher level-up (but if you die, you lose the XP, so there's a risk).

So, if you have 100 XP, you can upgrade your magic level or bank it and try to save for 200 to upgrade your attack meter (and upgrade the magic later when you get more XP, if you choose). Or you could, at that 200 threshold, upgrade your magic for 100 at that point in time and your life for 50 (if you haven't already) (and have 50 banked remaining).

11. ReyPrescott

ReyPrescott Jedi Master star 3

Oct 3, 2015
    im thinking of emulating these, never played one outside twilight princess as a.. 5yo at my cousins house.

12. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    If you don't haven't played or own BOTW for the Switch, now would be the time to invest in it. It's $29.99 at Best Buy. That's a STEAL!

13. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Also, if you have a Switch, you presumably have Nintendo Switch Online, so you'll have access to the first three games in the NES & SNES collections. Plus Ocarina if you are paying for the Expansion Pack (with Majora's coming soon).

If you have a Wii U (or can get a used one for cheap), it is a Zelda beast when it comes to Zelda games you can get access to on it. It doesn't come with them or anything, but you can play almost every single Zelda game on it in one form or another.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2021
  14. InterestingLurker

Jun 15, 2011
    If you're interested, I'd start with BOTW, to be honest.

But the story sucks so don't expect anything good in that regard.

Other than that suggestion? If you want to know the "classic" Zelda experience:

Try Ocarina of Time.

Sure, it's a trite suggestion on my part, and there are plenty more, but I feel that that's usually the best introduction to the series (that, and I usually hope that anyone that finishes that game plays Majora's Mask next as it's my favorite in the series lol)

15. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    Personally, I could never get into Zelda 1 or 2 as a kid, so my first Zelda was ALLTP for SNES, so I would definitely recommend that game as a starting point @ReyPrescott
    If you prefer the 3D Zeldas, then I second @InterestingLurker suggestion of OOT.

P.S. I wouldn't say the BOTW story sucked but it was disjointed ... which it had to be that way because of how open world the gameplay was. Heck, you can go right to Ganon and defeat the game understanding zero of the story. So while the game could have more structured and linear with the story, I'm kind of glad it wasn't.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2021
  16. InterestingLurker

Jun 15, 2011
    Friendship ended with The Game Awards.

Now January Nintendo Direct is my new friend.

(And my hope for BOTW 2 footage and info of any kind.)

:p

TiniTinyTony likes this.
  17. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
  18. InterestingLurker

Jun 15, 2011
  19. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    I got myself a brand new 50 inch 4K Roku TV for an early Christmas present the other day. Once I get it installed (and find a new owner for my current TV that’s taking up space in my living room), the first game I’m going to play on it is Breath of the Wild. I can’t wait to experience that game all over again on my new toy.

TiniTinyTony and Rew like this.
  20. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    I got "Cadence of Hyrule" for X-mas. I want to like the game, but I keep dying. Any tips/pointers?

21. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    I'd never played a Zelda game before, but I bought my sister a Switch and BOTW this Christmas and spent a couple of days playing it. I though it was excellent.

solojones and TiniTinyTony like this.
  22. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    5 years ago today, I was playing BotW on the Wii U for the first time.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  23. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000

It's not even the best Zelda game but it is very good..overrated but good. Horizon was better the same year and was overshadowed.

What you should do now is play Ocarina of Time.

24. Reynar_Tedros

Reynar_Tedros Force Ghost star 6

Jul 3, 2006
    Counterpoint: Breath of the Wild is not only the best Zelda, especially if you’re new to the franchise (which I was when I played it), it’s one of, if not the best game ever made.

Lots of air quote “real” Zelda fans pretend to dislike it because they… have something against franchises evolving, I don’t know. But someone new to the series doesn’t need to worry about all that. Just kick back and enjoy impeccable gameplay in an open world designed so brilliantly you’ll still be marveling at things you uncover a hundred hours in.

Ocarina of Time, if you don’t have the necessary nostalgia required to enjoy it, is actually overrated and has aged pretty poorly. But I certainly respect the influence it had.

TiniTinyTony likes this.
  25. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000

I don't dislike it. I like it. But it wasn't even the best game that year. It has almost no story which is boring.