main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Mini Series Obi-Wan Kenobi - Part 4 - Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Todd the Jedi , Jun 7, 2022.

?

Grade the Episode

Poll closed Jun 15, 2022.
  1. 10

8.1%
  2. 9

15.2%
  3. 8

22.8%
  4. 7

23.4%
  5. 6

11.2%
  6. 5

7.1%
  7. 4

5.6%
  8. 3

2.0%
  9. 2

2.0%
  10. 1

2.5%
  1. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Because she’s a main character and they’re not. Seriously this is not rocket science.

2. Chris0013

Chris0013 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    I think they are trying to make her special...and I think that actually hurts her as a character. Why does she get to be called "Reva" instead of just 3rd Sister like all the other Inquistors? Grand Inquisitor, 5th Brother, 7th Sister, etc... Why does she get to know Vader is Anakin? That is pretty closely held information...even an Inquisitor should not have that.

Darth Weavile likes this.
  3. Darth Weavile

Darth Weavile Jedi Master star 3

Oct 10, 2017
    But why is she a main character? What makes her role in the story so much more important than the other inquisitors. If you want to introduce a new character as a main character, it’s important to give them a reason to have such a big role. In the originals, Vader was initially the guy who killed Luke’s father and Obi-Wan, then we find out he is Luke’s father.

Reva is just like any other inquisitor trying to find this Obi-Wan guy.

4. darth orange shirt guy

darth orange shirt guy Jedi Padawan star 1

Jan 14, 2022
    Or so we think…

Revas character is ok, but personally I only care about OW. If she’s not breaking OW’s character, she’s great.

naw ibo likes this.
  5. Ender_and_Bean

Ender_and_Bean Chosen One star 6

May 19, 2002
    Right now it’s because she has the most ambition and takes the
    most risks to try and get Kenobi by any means necessary.

Long term, if there’s a flashback involving her at some point within the next couple episodes it might be that we learn she was indeed one of the padawans from the opening, and that she herself has a personal vendetta against the Jedi council which Kenobi was part of. She might have come to buy the propaganda that it was them who turned on the chancellor and that their short sighted attempt to seize power lead to the end of the Jedi. Rather than wait to be eliminated like her friends she joined the side she feels the Jedi should have been protecting in the first place: Palpatine’s.

The other two Inquisitors here weren’t Padawans. The GI was a temple guard. So that would make her unique among the 4 of them. Especially since she would have been there and seen her friends be killed because of what the Council attempted to do (propaganda she’s since been told)

Last edited: Jun 10, 2022
  6. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    She’s the Inquisitor obsessed with finding Obi-Wan. Her obsession is what brings him out of hiding. If not for her he’d still be on Tatooine and Leia would be safe and sound on Alderaan.

7. Ender_and_Bean

Ender_and_Bean Chosen One star 6

May 19, 2002
    I doubt they’d do this but how cool would it be if they showed us Order 66 again but we saw Anakin on the way out this time and he runs into who will become the Grand Inquisitor and the GI is begging to join him and claiming no allegiance to the Jedi and that what they tried to do to Palpatine was wrong. We see Anakin tell him there’s someone he should meet. A child Reva sees all of this as she’s hiding.

CUT TO: years later, the GI and the other Inquisitors find her using the force for selfish reasons because she’s had to fend for herself.

She remembers what the GI said to Anakin, recognizes him here, sees the new power he has, and says the same thing he said to Anakin on that day. This catches the GI’s attention and he becomes more interested. She tells him she has no allegiance to the Jedi. That she hates the council for what they tried to do the Emperor. That she wishes to join him. He asks her if she could kill a Jedi council member if she were to find one. She assures him that if she saw Obi-Wan Kenobi she’d kill him herself. This makes the other, older Inquisitors laugh and the GI is also amused and tells her that with that kind of ambition she might someday have his job.

That would be a couple cool moments to see. Not only her joining but also seeing the GI approach Anakin directly on the way out of Order 66.

Come on Deborah! Give us some back story on her before the show ends! Please! Why do I get the feeling I’ll have to buy a comic series on Reva to find something like this out?

8. CrazyOldJedi

CrazyOldJedi Chosen One star 6

Oct 29, 2000
    It's her moment in the Sun, time to shine, the limelight is all hers.

She's not in the cartoons right?

Sarge likes this.
  9. darth orange shirt guy

Jan 14, 2022
    No, not that I am aware of. She might make an appearance in tales of the Jedi though.

10. CrazyOldJedi

CrazyOldJedi Chosen One star 6

Oct 29, 2000
    So... She could have been a bigger character than the other Inquisitors if she had made it to the cartoons. And if she was a bigger character then the other Inquisitors in the cartoons then we would quite really expect her to have top billing of all the Inquisitors in the OWK show. It's a bit like Marvel's 'What if...' in a roundabout sort of way.

They need to do a 'What if..' for the cartoons where Reva survived and not get blown up by Lola the flying Thermal Detonator.

11. oncafar

oncafar Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2017
    I've returned bc I became really into Reva who is the one I'm generally most interested in though I find most of the characters interesting and I like this dive into Obi-trauma, it makes sense to me. What he went through was horrifying.

Generally I see there as being two hero/villian combos: Vader/Obi-Wan and Reva/Leia and by that I mean who is the opposite of the other. So Reva can't have an epic lightsaber battle with her story heroine counterpart bc her heroine counterpart is a child. But Reva's pain is all from when she was a child, close to the same age Leia is now.

I don't know what will happen w Reva, if she will continue to double down on the dark side or if she'll go back to the light. But I think if she continues to double down on the dark side she's obviously going to die because she's too boxed in by the fates of other characters like Vader and the Emperor and the GI. But if she goes towards the light she has a great deal of plot potential.

For one, she's exposed Leia and the Organas too much. The other inquisitors know she's kidnapping Leia to get to Obi-Wan, which means Vader may already know. Vader would want to know why after all these years the kidnapping of Bail Organa's child is the ONE thing that will draw him out of hiding. If Reva starts to turn back towards the light, she'll try to protect Leia and the Organa's and make sure they won't end up on Vader's radar. (This would be bc she figured out that Leia is his daughter which she is just one step away from.)

One question I've always had from the OT is if Obi-Wan thought Luke could save his father and that would restore the light side in the galaxy as they would destroy Sidious together. OR if Obi-Wan believed there is no hope, Vader is more machine than man, Anakin is gone possibly forever. Obi-Wan has been struggling w hope. He didn't believe anyone would help them when Leia did. He chastised her as naive. In his flashbacks he hears Padme saying there is still good in Vader.

In the final confrontation bt Obi-Wan and Vader, Vader will disappoint him, he'll double-tripple-quadruple down on the dark side, though Obi-Wan may have one last lesson to teach him (so indeed in ANH Vader can still say last they met he was but the learner). But after that, when he is most downtrodden about Anakin, Obi-Wan watches Reva turn away from the dark side--someone so brutal and in some ways a bit similar to dark Anakin. It will show him there may still be hope for Anakin. He just needs to believe there is still hope. That's all.

Reva is hurt because she wasn't protected by the Jedi. I think she knows Vader = Anakin bc she was still in the temple when Sidious sent Anakin the transmission in which he addressed him as Vader. If Reva had tried to leave the temple earlier she would have been killed like the Jedi kid we saw trying to escape in ROTS who Bail couldn't help. She was still there, much longer, and she witnessed more.

Even now I wonder if she looks to Vader to be Anakin when he betrayed them all and he nearly strangled her to death in the last episode. It may not be that, it could be she also in the end wants revenge on him, the one who destroyed it all. But I don't know where the heart of her grievances lie. She mentioned she used to have a droid too like Leia before everything was taken away from her. I don't know if she meant before she was taken from her family (presumably) to the Jedi, or if it's after the Jedi temple was invaded, or both.

I think whatever Obi-Wans decides about Anakin/Vader will be interconnected with Reva's fate. If she comes back to the good side in some way even if she drifts to being an anti-hero and not an evil Sith, then Obi-Wan concluded Anakin is still in there. If she doubles down on the dark side, then Obi-Wan sees Vader as more machine than man, little to no hope. It was ambiguous in the OT and this can make it less so or reveal Obi-Wan as ambivalent. It can give answer to this question.

They are deeply interconnected in this sense.

But Leia is the real core connection. Leia was saved and protected. Reva was abandoned and left to die (collateral damage). But she sees in Leia, herself. And that matters. A lot.

12. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
    I suspect her story won't have as many layers as that.

Slater likes this.
  13. Chris0013

Chris0013 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    Obi Wan...and Yoda...thought there was no hope to save Anakin. They flat out lied to Luke about Vader killing Anakin and were training Luke to go out and take down his own father without him knowing who he really was.

14. darth orange shirt guy

Jan 14, 2022
    I suspect the lesson will be OW beating him.
    How does Reva change obi wans opinion of Anakin? If anything Reva is just another crazy Jedi killer to Obi Wan.

Slater likes this.
  15. oncafar

Jan 10, 2017
    I thought so too, but I do remember an interview w GL in which he said Obi-Wan was wanting/hoping Luke would save his father and restore the balance or whatever. My factual memory sucks I forget all factual references (I can't be a researcher bc I forget my sources and only remember the thinking in my mind after I encountered them), but I recall this bc it contradicted how Obi-Wan (and yes, Yoda) seemed to behave in the OT... So it became a "which is it?" for me.

And it's also wo Vader, Luke would have lost. All he needed to do was get Anakin to hear him. Love it or hate it, the ST bolsters this. Rey couldn't defeat Sidious on her own. No one can. But Anakin/Vader is the one with a special connection to Sidious that makes him more vulnerable.

16. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    Sloppy episode in my opinion.

17. KyleKartan

KyleKartan Force Ghost star 4

Feb 4, 2004
    May I suggest to let it go. The dude is clearly trolling you. Its fine and nice from you to explain so much but its wasted I'd say.

18. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    (nitpick3) How do you feel about the ship stopping mid air to shoot?
    There's nothing wrong in principle but I'm no fan of it. I personally like to see them moving more like planes when it comes to things like this, so ideally I would have preferred to see it making more than one loop to shoot Reva. But also about shooting Reva I have mixed feelings, since in my head canon ships' guns should be too powerful to be effortlessly stopped with sabers.

Riv_Shiel likes this.
  19. oncafar

Jan 10, 2017
    I was thinking if he saw her come back in a way to the light side to help Leia and family so Vader won't sniff in their direction, he'd see that people who seem lost to the dark side may not be so. And so, there could still be hope for Anakin even if he can't see it now. I think that Quinlan Vos was mentioned might also be significant and I don't know if he'll make an appearance. But it's interesting they mention the one Jedi from PT days I know of who turned dark and came back to the light. It's like everything in this story is whispering in Obi-Wan's ears: "see there is still hope."

Oh and I'd also mention I think it makes sense after living alone in the desert working in the meat slicing job and all this routine with little social contact and Owen also on his case... and all the trauma from before... I think it's realistic Obi-Wan started falling apart. Isolation alone can do that to someone. When he was spying on Luke through his binoculars I almost wondered if he was trying to remember what the point of this all is. 10 years of isolation is just... a long time.

20. Siphonophore

Siphonophore Chosen One star 4

Nov 13, 2003
    During the time of Part 4, who is the Grand Inquisitor? Did Vader give that rank and title to Reva?

"Perhaps I should just inform the Grand Inquisitor of your insolence." -- Tala

The security lead does not scoff at that threat. He should know if there's currently a Grand Inquisitor, unless the G.I.'s death is being kept a secret from the rest of the staff at Fortress Inquisitorius.
    Or, the security lead does not want Tala to intrude on the G.I.'s recovery, if he's still alive.

oncafar likes this.
  21. oncafar

Jan 10, 2017
    I think Tala doesn't know GI is supposedly dead, nor do most ppl. I really don't know what game is going on, but I think Vader also knows GI is alive. I mean Vader and the GI have been playing this brother/sister inquisitor thing for a while. Reva can't be the first who tried to rise up in the ranks. She thinks she killed GI, and they let her think this. The only question for me is... why. I have ideas but I don't know which one it is really. I also don't know if Vader might actually be considering replacing the old GI or not (since one of his underlings run him through haha). But the GI was way underplayed before Reva "killed" him compared to his appearance in Rebels. He didn't come off as nearly as sadistic as I remember. But this just makes me wonder if when he makes his comeback it will be terrible.

Also I kinda wonder if the collection of preserved um dead Jedi in FI is in part the GI's pride and joy. Like he is REALLY EVIL and mb that he didn't seem so in the beginning of this series wasn't a mistake...

I'm starting to wonder if who has Sith eyes is a legit indicator of how evil they are. GI has them.

I guess this could also be the story that launches GI into becoming more sadistic... This is a younger him after all.

Ithorians and Siphonophore like this.
  22. Ithorians

Ithorians Jedi Master star 4

Apr 26, 2016
    I understand your question about the power of the airspeeder´s firing, they looked dangerous enough.

I think the T-47 were said to being used as a civilian ship, so I imagine the canons they managed to install on them aren't nearly as potent as, say, an X-Wing´s. Could that be it? At least we had a cargo AT AT blown to pieces by an X-Wing in Rogue One, and we know how the T-47 worked against the (admittedly stronger) version of them on Hoth.

Sarge and 3sm1r like this.
  23. Olly Bishop

Olly Bishop Jedi Youngling

Jan 29, 2022
    Best episode yet. First time I've felt genuine tension in this series and the action created real jeopardy.

Ody_Mandrell likes this.
  24. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    Jedi in a Jar Jar.

25. darth orange shirt guy

Jan 14, 2022
    I am always clinging to the edge of my seat, but more sliding of my couch.

It could also be an a inherit pau’un thing. I do not believe this is all the GI’s ploy, but he will have a part to play.