main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation Post-TROS state of the galaxy (Newer Republic? Multiple regional powers? Other?)

Discussion in 'Star Wars: Future Films - Spoilers Allowed' started by Ghost, May 8, 2023.

?

What should be the new state of the galaxy?

1. Newer Repunlic/Third Republic (the Galactic Republic restored. with some changes from the NR)

33.3%
  2. Multi-state galaxy (dozens to thousands of independent republics, kingdoms, other types, etc.)

60.0%
  3. Something else? (please describe)

6.7%
  1. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    Did he?

Toppling the Empire =/= creating a well functioning government. Lucas never showed that. Defeating Nazi Germany didn’t usher in a Golden Age for Germany.

Filoni and Favreau are the ones showing a post-RotJ Republic and highlighting how right from the start it’s stretched too thin, can’t meet everyone’s needs, has again been infiltrated by bad guys, etc.

You have multiple generations of dysfunctional government, why would the Galaxy come together now? I would think it more plausible that centralized Galactic wide government would be looked upon with great apprehension.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: May 11, 2023
    Megazord likes this.
  2. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    It…eventually kinda did though. Germany’s never had a more stable, prosperous and democratically-legitimate society than it does today.

3. TaradosGon

Feb 28, 2003
    Which glosses over its division post-War. What I’m saying is that to show a fully functional Republic post-RoS right from the start, glosses over what must be a slow/difficult process of state building after the failures of the previous ~60+ years perhaps 160+ years as Acolyte seems like it’s going to show the beginning of the decline.

Yoda warned Mace against alerting the Senate of their weakness due to the proliferation of their non-Sith enemies. The Jedi are in “disarray.” I would imagine the Galaxy is not in the best state.

Megazord and Bor Mullet like this.
  4. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    I’m not against showing a slow and difficult rebuilding of the Republic. But the ST then blasted that to smithereens. So I’d like to see, fifteen years after TROS, a functioning but not perfect galactic Republic of some kind.

5. TaradosGon

Feb 28, 2003
    Which is fine, especially if it’s perhaps a very reduced rump state remnant of the New Republic that now has to spread back out again.

But when there’s ~1,000 years of peace, interrupted by a few decades of war, to go back to restoring the peace as it was, IMO, would be the equivalent of “and they lived happily ever after.

Like if the film ends with Rey (or new hero) receiving commendations in the Galactic Senate building for their role in safeguarding democracy to “thunderous applause” as the light side mirror to Palpatine’s scene.

At that point the story basically ends; the Jedi Order is flourishing, the Republic is running smoothly, a nice little bow has been put on things for several hundred or thousand years, and then pick back up with a new character and crisis far into the future.

rocknroll41 likes this.
  6. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    A couple hundred years of democratic peace sounds good to me.

7. DarkGingerJedi

DarkGingerJedi Chosen One star 7

Nov 21, 2012
    It’s so hard to know what should happen next logically when the ST gave us so little to rely on and left us with even less.

The NR is destroyed but it wasn’t even a galactic government and it seems very few even cared to fight for it.

The FO reigned through power and weaponry but wasn’t even a government let alone a galactic one.

And then parts of the galaxy come together to finally defeat Palpatine and the FO … but there’s no greater sense or need to stay united to form a galactic government. Democracy might certainly reign again but there’s no guarantee that there’s gonna be another galactic republic

Riv_Shiel likes this.
  8. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    The FO feels so inconsequential in terms of its impact on the galaxy during its weekend reign, that you could conceivably simply set the galaxy back to what a post-ROTJ state might’ve looked like (New Republic with a smattering of systems outside it). I mean, OK, the Hosnian system is now gone, and the Imperial wannabes are defeated. So maybe now let’s make the movies that the ST should’ve been, but without the OT3.

9. Riv_Shiel

Riv_Shiel Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 12, 2014
    Perhaps poor word choice on my part. I didn't mean to suggest that he showed the system being restored in the OT, but that is clearly what the heroes are fighting for. I was intending to counter the point that Lucas' movies were intended to show that large democracies don't work. If you don't think the heroes in the OT were trying to restore the over a thousand generations of peace and justice in the old Republic, I don't know what to tell you.

10. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Yeah. Nowhere was Lucas promoting a message of “large democracies don’t work.” He was making mythically resonant movies, not political science presentations.

11. mattman8907

mattman8907 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2012
    as long as it aint called the Galactic Federation of Free Alliances or the GFFA.

Jedi Merkurian and Sarge like this.
  12. TaradosGon

Feb 28, 2003
    I agree that he was never anti-democracy, it’s very much a pro-democracy story.

It’s just that my the time that TPM starts, the corruption is already heavily entrenched, which escalates across three movies until the Republic collapses.

The OT shows the heroes fighting to restore the Republic but we don’t see the Republic. We see the Emperor die, some celebrations across the Galaxy, and then the trilogy ends.

In the ST we don’t really have any scenes on the capital world other than to see it destroyed. We don’t really see the functioning of government. The books tried to fill things out a bit, but IMO it’s convoluted and went into the direction of Leia’s relationship to Vader being a source of scandal, and her fight against the First Order being something that Senators oppose as war mongering (something that will probably seem even more ridiculous after Dave’s movie, in which the Imperial remnant will presumably be shown to be very much a real threat).

Then the Mandalorian goes back closer to RotJ in the timeline, and we do see a little bit of the government, but it also highlights the shortcomings and infiltrations of it soon after the Emperor’s death.

Leslye Headland has talked about her interest in wanting to show how things could have reached the point in which a Sith could infiltrate the government. So presumably that show should start from a place in which the government is functioning as it should and serving its citizens to then show the cracks over the course of the show.

George showed the cracks from the beginning. And while his message is that democracy, even when frustrating or slow, is a system worth saving lest it give way to evil, we never really saw the “ideal” Republic that could stand for 1,000 years.

I just think that if Episode I started with the fall of the millennium long Republic that “Episode X” should end with the restoration of such a strong government, but it shouldn’t start at that point.

I’d rather see the government still in a process of rebuilding when (insert antagonist) attacks. As opposed to the Republic being up and running smoothly and then collapsing yet again in the face of a new threat.

And maybe there isn’t an “ideal” Republic, and maybe the bickering, conflict and the corruption is just the nature of the beast. And maybe the Jedi were just better about handling it for the previous millennium.

Last edited: May 12, 2023
  13. jaimestarr

jaimestarr Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 13, 2004
    I really don't care. How the galaxy is ruled/governed is less a lot less interesting to me than the story/struggle/relationships of our main characters.

Simply put: Give me a SW story with compelling heroes and villains (and those in between) and I'm good. Whether it's an Empire, a Republic, or some other system is simply a narrative backdrop to me. The less exposition wasted on the ins and outs of the galactic/geo-political situation, the better. Save that for Star Trek...

Last edited: May 12, 2023
  14. DarkGingerJedi

Nov 21, 2012
    I look at as though the galaxy is a character in SW. it’s the stage that informs rte story and the other characters.

15. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    I think you could call it the Galactic Alliance, but there's no centralized government or ruler. It would reflect how so many different people arrived on Exegol to destroy Palpatine and the Final Order. Also, the New Republic had obvious candidates to succeed as Chancellor, but there's no clear choice this time around, so you don't need that figurehead in a post-New Republic galaxy.

I think removing the idea of a centralized government would also make the New Jedi Order more independent than when the Jedi were beholden to the Republic, and further raises the question of their collective purpose.

Jedi Merkurian and Sarge like this.
  16. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    I look at the galaxy as not just an empty stage, but an integral and organic part of the character’s stories. Political systems are made up of people, and so when those systems are presented as a thin backdrop, it hurts the character stories for me. Not just the “world-building.” The worlds these characters inhabit should be just as compelling as the characters. Otherwise it all feels false. Like a bunch of individuals operating independently of their featureless surroundings.

17. DarkGingerJedi

Nov 21, 2012
    It's not even just 'what is the gov'ment'. Its setting the stage for what the characters are up to and how they might behave. Without that stage, and without it making sense, or feeling 'real', then the characters are just in a void.

Star Wars broke it down to very black and white themes (at times, and more nuanced at other times), but the reason why the universe feels lived in and why the characters feel more real, is because the galaxy is alive. Thought was put into its makeup and history.

18. SyndicThrass

SyndicThrass Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 25, 2016
    So long as they don’t try to do another Imperial Remnant I’m open to whatever.

Ghost likes this.
  19. Konrad Pietrzak

Konrad Pietrzak Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 6, 2020
    Ok, so its looks like we have propably some information about Galaxy State after Exegol.

"Rey's movie:

The First Order has fallen, the Jedi are in chaos — there’s even a question of how many exist anymore — and Rey’s building the New Jedi Order, based on the text that she was given and that Luke imparted on her."
    Information from this link.

I'm courius, First Order fallen is of course thing for many. But I'm wonder what could mean this fragment about Jedi in chaos

20. jaimestarr

Sep 13, 2004
    I don't look at the galaxy as an empty stage. These planets are certainly characters unto themselves. However, I loved/cared about characters like Han Solo, and Princess Leia while having minimal to no information about their home worlds and the political structure of those worlds.

It's only been very recently that we've delved deeper into planets like Corellia and Alderaan. I would argue that, while this certainly can organically enhance a character, or story, it's not usually integral.

Again, I think of the original trilogy. Aren't the planetary systems (and how they operate) often presented as (relatively) thin backdrops in the story? You often had the idea that there were countless and varied worlds/systems in the galaxy, yet the movies rarely did a deep dive into the ins and outs of these worlds. The films themselves gave you a good sense of the planets, but I often had to look to ancillary materials (books, video games, etc) for more detailed dives into say, Bespin, Endor, or even Tatooine.

Last edited: May 13, 2023
  21. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    No, actually. The OT did a brilliant job of presenting a complex galaxy (starting with the instantly layered Tatooine full of farmers, herders, scavengers, droids, spaceports, organized criminals and strange wizards), and a complex dynamic between a dominant and professional Imperial military and government (made even more complicated by the presence of a weird dark warlock who was viewed with some skepticism by his military peers) and Senators of that same government accused of participating in Rebel activity. And this is just in the first part of the first movie. One would then suspect that more than ten films into the franchise, we’d get more layers, not less.

And so I’d argue that part of the success of the very first Star Wars films (the OT) has to do with a layered and believable world, navigated by compelling and fun-as-heck characters.

I think the instinct to strip the world down to a thin backdrop is perhaps the biggest mistake, and biggest misinterpretation of the appeal of Star Wars, made by JJ Abrams.

El_Machete12, Megazord, Ghost and 5 others like this.
  22. jaimestarr

Sep 13, 2004
    Perhaps we are talking about different things then?

The OT certainly created a layered and believable world. Yet, it was done though visually and aurally rather than through dialogue. Lucas also relied on well established tropes and archetypes. Point being, not a lot of time/exposition was wasted on belaboring the set up. A 5 year old can watch A New Hope an instantly get the set up, rules, background, etc. One doesn't have to know the intricacies of the galaxies geo-political situation to appreciate the story and characters. It's just not essential.

Is there nuance and layers? Sure. As you point out, the GFFA becomes more layered with each new story. Yet, to bring this back to my original point, all of this world building is done in service to the characters and the story. It is quite minimalist, bare bones, and efficient compared to a lot of other sci-fi/fantasy franchises.

Consider: It took decades to delve into Mandalorian culture. Yet, not knowing anything about Mandalore (nor clones) didn't do anythings to take away from the character/legacy/cool of Boba Fett. The backdrop/backstory behind this character is cool, but it's not always necessary to the character. Darth Vader without the fully fleshed out backstory (ie The Prequels) is still Darth Vader. No?

Megazord and Sarge like this.
  23. Watcherwithin

Watcherwithin Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2017
    A lot of the dialogue in ANH served as exposition about people’s ranks and histories.

And you’re right that the layered world is shown visually without exposition. I think both exposition and visual world building is lacking in TFA compared to ANH

24. TaradosGon

Feb 28, 2003
    In TFA, it seemed like a lot ended up on the cutting room floor in such a way that if I watched the movies alone, I would have a radically different interpretation than if I include what the books say.

I believe the opening crawl says something to the effect of Leia is leading the Resistance against the First Order with the help of the New Republic.

But then the books establish that the New Republic is more-or-less disarmed and many Senators do not support Leia and she’s something of a rogue element.

Hux saying that the New Republic is lying to the Galaxy makes sense if looked at in that context. He’s accusing the New Republic of backing attacks on the First Order. But the film itself is missing that context. Also missing is the scene where Leia sends a messenger to Hosnian Prime to ask for help.

Then in TLJ the Resistance just kind of becomes the Rebellion again. And in RoS, The First Order becomes the Final Order after getting assistance from the Sith Eternal… it’s a mess.

The next film offers a clean slate. The New Republic was gone, the Sith and First Order are gone. The Jedi are few.

Hopefully whatever they do, it’s not overly convoluted.

25. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    The world-building exposition is efficient, yes. But otherwise it is by no means minimalist or bare bones. I think a fundamental mistake in making Star Wars content is confusing efficient storytelling in the OT with stripped-to-the-bones, and even throwaway, world-building. ANH and ESB feel like real places because of a combination of dialogue and visuals that gives the impression of a world that exists outside the frame. Rogue One is the same: very efficient in its storytelling, but the world has an incredible amount of texture that’s conveyed visually and through dialogue.