main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate Problems with perceptions of masculinity

Discussion in 'Community' started by poor yorick, Jul 21, 2018.

1. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    I see this bandied about in the media but I've never really connected with it. For me, how to "be masculine" never came up as much of a distinct concept. I had lots of positive male role models including my father, uncles, grandfather, and some older community members. I have in some ways consciously and unconsciously shaped my behavior after a mix of these influences. But I haven't found anything in the lives of the most important ones that is just plainly no longer workable--or even controversial--in modern society. I notice that some depictions of males in the media have changed but those always seemed less real or important to me. For instance, the fact that whatever the lady's name is now more prominent on the He-Man cartoon than she was in the original doesn't really change my self-perception because I was never trying to wave around a giant barbarian sword.

Can someone shed some light on what they are feeling? What is this big sense of dislocation?

2. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Did you listen to the podcast or read the transcript? It talks about the need for a roadmap.

3. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000

I mean .... Welcome Men of the last 20 years to what it's been like to be a woman for the last 10,000 I guess.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  4. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    I think there is also an inconsistency within society as a whole about what a man should be, which doesn't help.

I've met plenty of women who expect more traditional man behaviour, I've also met plenty that don't want that.
    Deciding which one you need to be at any one time is not easy, nor does it help anyone make a clear decision about what is the "right" way to behave.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2023
  5. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Right—women are not a monolith by any stretch of the imagination (despite the responses of ‘yes they are’ in this thread several months ago) and generalities about “what women want” are both and unfair, and not a way to make a roadmap.

The podcast points out, among other things, that men need positive role models/mentors in their own lives, one that will encourage them to be the best version of themselves.

The new masculinity

This section talks about needing a new definition of masculinity for the 21st century.

Jedi Merkurian and solojones like this.
  6. The Jedi in the Pumas

The Jedi in the Pumas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 23, 2018
    Uh… no. It’s not the same, due to a number of different factors that you wouldn’t be sensitive to even if you understood.

——-
    @Jabba-wocky

I’ll speak from personal experience, since you did. I had no male role models. I was raised by my mother. There are things that my mother would say like “a man is the head of the household and grounds the house.” Men had to be strong, mentally and physically. I had no reference for these.

Then, in the late 2000s, I was told by feminism and society as a whole that not only was that not what women needed, it was something that a woman could do for herself and when a woman did it, it was something to be praised and celebrated, but when a man did it it could be seen as oppressive and toxic. When I first became a progressive feminist, I was very much in agreement with this approach; I thought traditional gender roles were ridiculous and archaic.

It wasn’t until a few years ago that I discarded this thinking and realized, through my own personal growth, that I had to pursue whatever worked for me and my family. My family prospers when I am strong; My role is the protector and provider.

And before someone says “well no one said you can’t do what works for you!!” - when I have expressed this is how my household and family dynamic functions in this thread, I was told that my wife could do as good of a job as I’m doing and that there was nothing unique about my performance as a man as a parent.

So, without a very meticulous internal and personal construction of my masculinity without the noise from society telling me about toxic masculinity and what I shouldn’t be, I would be a very different, less successful, and likely more harmful person.

7. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
  8. The Jedi in the Pumas

Jun 23, 2018
    This was part of the podcast. I think this video essentially boils down to “positive masculinity is just being yourself… as long as it’s not these things” which isn’t novel in the discourse.

It’s a roadmap that is essentially universal to both men and women. Not specifically about masculinity. I think itd be a great video for a kid below the age of 10, but having been an adult for a while now, it just comes off as “just be a good person who views things this way and you’ll be a great man.”

9. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    "Don't be a jerk" is pretty easy life advice.
    Though a surprising number of people still don't follow it

10. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I’m not sure why ‘positive masculinity is being yourself as long as being yourself does not mean being misogynistic’ is such a terrible take.

I know it’s part of the podcast. That’s why I found the video.

Of course there is going to be an ‘as long as it’s not these things’ aspect—not every character trait can be considered ‘positive masculinity’ just because a man has that character trait and thinks it is unique to men (which means he would be stereotyping both men and women and assuming both are monoliths).

Not sure what you’re expecting—‘it’s OK to stereotype and look down upon women because it’s part of being a man’ or ‘there’s no such thing as toxic masculinity’?

So much talk about a lack of positive role models and a lack of a road map for men, and the response to posts about a road map is ‘But not that kind of road map, something closer to compromise with Andrew Tate and Jordan Peterson’, which just seems like wanting a post that says ‘Andrew Tate and Jordan Peterson are OK or not terrible as role models’.

That’s not wanting a road map “specific to masculinity,” that’s wanting a road map specific to misogyny.

The video talked about Fred Rogers—so his character shouldn’t be a road map for men? Seriously?

blackmyron and solojones like this.
  11. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    To give Peterson some credit, he has at least always been openly emotional which is something many men are told they should not be doing.

12. The Jedi in the Pumas

Jun 23, 2018
    Who the **** said anything about Tate or Peterson?

I’m not going to rehash the conversation from a few months ago with you. I’m going to reiterate what I said earlier: there may be no roadmap going forward, men will have to do some internal work to discover what their own masculinity looks like and how to live in harmony with the world around them.

13. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Oh I see is this your "being a man means being condescending to women" part of your message?

You're right, it's not quite the same.. because women still have way less societal power than men, and you're losing it just because men have *slightly* less power in the last 20 years than they used to.

Honestly what it takes to be a good man is the same things it takes to be a good woman or nonbinary person... The nonsense about men needing to be XYZ that you keep propagating here are the reasons for your own insecurities. There are certainly women who subscribe to toxic masculinity, but given that those women are not the power structure, their push still ultimately comes from the toxic men in power. Yet you inevitably find ways to blame all women for it, over and over. Us mean women don't want you to be toxic or a misogynist. How horrible.

Edit: Dude there's no roadmap for being a human, period. You're just describing the process of being an adult.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2023
  14. The Jedi in the Pumas

Jun 23, 2018
    That was…. A lot of responding to things I didn’t say.lol.

So… I’m going to just let you keep responding to…. Whoever champ.

15. solojones

Sep 27, 2000

Lol ok more condescension. You do you. Keep telling men here they need "aggression" to be men.

16. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I would add that when providing a positive road map for men—making that positive road map exclusive to men would be making the statement simultaneously that women are not supposed to follow this positive road map. Which is messed up—I would not want my sons to be given a set of positive traits to aspire to while my niece is told not to aspire to those same positive traits because they’re ‘only for boys’ or vice versa—if a trait is positive for her, it is also positive for her brother, or her cousins (my sons).

Men being “strong mentally and physically” is only oppressive when that strength is used to oppress women, and the same would be said about women using mental or physical strength to oppress men (actually oppressing men, not the so-called “oppression” that right wing men think they are experiencing when they aren’t automatically treated like an authority).

Some households work best with traditional gender roles because of the personalities of the couple, which is fine, but the danger is in the narrative that it is ‘supposed to’ be that way or that it is ‘natural’ to be that way. (Tell me that I’m supposed to do the cooking and my husband is not, and my family’s meals will be much less delicious. He’s the better cook by far, and his masculinity has not suffered for it at all.)

Some of that goes back to childhood. Don’t tell a little boy that he needs to play with dinosaurs and cars instead of dolls if he wants to be a real man, or vice versa. There’s a fun meme circulating in which a woman says that her daughter was told by another woman in the store that ‘dinosaurs are for boys’ so her daughter roared at the woman.

17. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Trying to learn something only by theory without a real example is incredibly hard. I see your point and can imagine my journey would have been much more difficult if not for the constant, easy access to men I’ve had throughout my life.

Mamas for roadmaps in general, I’ve said this about race as well. Society has defined expectations that will inform how people react to you. A person can be as typical or controversial as they want, but they deserve the ability to make that choice consciously. You can learn what conceptions of gender are without endorsing them, and that has some value. Especially if someone couldn’t pickup ideas about how to navigate these challenges from a father figure, it’s totally fair to ask for some clarity about how to do so. In the same way, a Black kid adopted by a white family might have more struggles figuring out what their race means to them as opposed to one raised in a black family.

It’s a skill to “read the room” and a challenge to be received the way you want to. Part of figuring that out is knowing how other people see you.

18. The Jedi in the Pumas

Jun 23, 2018

I thought this was a good video to post for a number of reasons but primarily due to one of the quotes at the beginning:

“Two instruments playing the same note will sound quite different.”

The creator is saying that masculinity and femininity aren’t the same, but can exhibit the same virtues. Thought he put it better than I could.

19. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    The thing with MOTU:R was that it came out on the heels of the ST, which killed off Luke and replaced him with Rey, "a Mary Sue of epic proportions". They jumped to conclusions as fans often do, and believed the same thing was happening again. It was made worse by the fact that Teela's hair cut has become the subject of scorn with modern feminism and the implied lesbianism applied to the character.

Really, though, it was fans who were gatekeeping because they wanted to be the arbitrators of their favorite franchise. But most people who were upset were millennials who grew up after the fact. People like me, who actually grew up with the franchise in the 80's, weren't fussed about it.

SHAD0W-JEDI likes this.
  20. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    The American Masculinity Crisis

This is really good, and talks about creating a more egalitarian society by addressing income stagnation among non-college-educated white (and Black) men.

It also talks about how culture determines, for better and for worse, how masculinity is expressed.

21. The Jedi in the Pumas

Jun 23, 2018
    I’ll have to listen to all of it at a later date but from what I’m hearing in the first 5-10 minutes, I’m finding pleasantly surprising:

-the fact the left is owning up to having basically ignored issues with men
    -the subtle half-explanation of why the wage gap is misleading
    -the very surprising (somewhat capitalistic) understanding/acknowledgement that simply paying women more didn’t solve all of the problems it was supposed to solve

Seems dope.

22. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    My reaction to the acknowledged statistic about Black men making $.67 to every dollar that white women make was, hmmm, I’ll bet nobody tries to excuse that by ‘b…bu…but Black men have babies and choose different jobs.’

It needs to be addressed, and discussion of the solutions probably belongs more in the education thread, but I would start with the fact that promoting and pushing four-year universities so much beginning in the 90s was a mistake, and we need to do more to equally promote trade schools. And the minimum wage needs to be a living wage.

But yeah, check out the rest of it, I’m curious as to what you think about the way other countries are addressing issues that men are having.

23. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 10

Jul 19, 1999
    Don't worry. I'm certain a different but equally pungent line of bullcrap will be issued in defence of that inequality.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  24. The Jedi in the Pumas

Jun 23, 2018
    Eh… there are actual reasons that don’t all have to do with discrimination or enforced inequality.

The popular myth (or rather misunderstanding) of the gender pay gap for instance states that women make less simply because they are women, as if to exclude the agency of said women and the choices they want to make. So if a woman chooses to be a schoolteacher, because she wants to teach children and that, by effect, means she makes less money, it should be noted that no one forced her to make that decision.

It also presupposes that people make all of their career choices directly because of money and no other factors.

So, and I’d have to do more research into it specifically, but when I hear that white women make more than black men, I’d probably include other factors in addition to race (education, economic background, types of jobs available, etc) before making a determination.

25. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Or maybe being a teacher should not be so undervalued as a profession, and the reason it is undervalued is because for so long it was female-centric and there was the assumption that women did not or should not “need” to make a decent salary because they “should” have husbands to support them, and teaching should be a “love” profession.

The NC state treasurer has used this argument to justify making cuts to our health insurance—he flat-out said ‘maybe teachers should get on their husbands’ insurance’, ignoring the fact that many teachers do not have husbands, or their husbands are underinsured.

Stating that ‘well these women chose that profession’ just seems to justify—or at least ignore the fact that it is blatantly morally wrong—to underpay these professions. I would also include nursing in that.

As far as white women making more than Black men, I definitely think that systemic racism and historic inequitable opportunity is the cause, and there is not a benign reason for it.