main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Deepfake or Recast? You decide! - Now with Poll

Discussion in 'Star Wars: Future Films - Spoilers Allowed' started by PimpBacca, Apr 16, 2023.

?

Would you prefer Deepfake or Recasting for future films?

1. Deepfake

40 vote(s)
    42.6%
  2. Recast

54 vote(s)
    57.4%
  1. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
    Luke's outfit evolves just like his character, it's starting to change by the time we get to The Mandalorian, he's changed the black tunic of ROTJ for a Jedi style undershirt similar to Anakin's. It's just a natural evolution, like in ROTJ and TM Luke wears tall leather boots but in BOBF he wears puttees/wraps like he wore in ANH and again later in the ST. The way the lighter shades show how he might've transgressed to days before he was a Jedi.

Then again it sells more toys if there's more variations of the same character.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    I'd say go with neither.

For minor roles it is not that important, especially if the time between the appearances is big. When it comes to playing a character at different ages, I think it is fine to use a different one, provided it fits to the age bracket, and you don't flip flop between actors. Meaning that having Jake Lloyd and Hayden Christensen play Anakin is fine, so long as you don't suddenly go back to having Jake Lloyd play Anakin at an age older than the one Christensen played him at. There is also a difference between one actor playing the role at age 10 and another at age 20 (a period with a ton of physical development) on one hand, and an actor playing the character at age 25 and another at age 35 on the other hand. Switching actors for the latter is rather glaring, especially when it comes to main roles.

Outside of that, unless you absolutely definately cannot live without a character appearing again, don't use him. If Mark Hamill is too old to play a Luke in his 30s or 40s, then don't have Luke appear in his 30s or 40s. There isn't really a need for the character to appear from a story-telling perspective. He mostly gets added because they can, and because it adds to the nostalgia-factor, not because you cannot write a story without him in it.

Riv_Shiel likes this.
  3. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
    I think they put Luke in the black outfit because they were afraid the allusion may not work without keeping everything as recognizable as possible.

The thought process being that if the effect doesn't hold up, it would mean people would find it harder to accept the visual if we see him in a costume we didn't recognize. The costume completes the allusion and recognition.

I think if he was wearing white in TBOB, it could end up being kinda to the eye, along with the effect.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2023
    Sarge likes this.
  4. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    Why DeepCast when you can ReFake?

5. Anakin's Daddy

Anakin's Daddy Force Ghost star 4

Aug 13, 2002
    While it was great to see the Luke Skywalker deep fake in Mando/Boba, (and the Tarkin one in Rogue One) I think it's still best to recast. I had no problem with the casting in the Solo movie. Kennedy's comments about the Solo recast being a mistake I do not think are correct. The movie bombed for other reasons. Look, they just released indy 5 with the actual Harrison Ford, and that bombed too. That was for other reasons.

Watcherwithin and cwustudent like this.
  6. Jedi_Jade-Skywalker

Jedi_Jade-Skywalker Jedi Grand Master star 3

Oct 8, 2000
    I haven't seen any deepfake that I've found convincing. Not Leia or Tarkin in RO. Not Luke in BoBF. Luke in Mandalorian is kinda close but there is still a lot of work to do to really make it actually convincing. The only replacement of an OT character that convinced me at all was Leia in Rebels.

I respect the desire to see live action Star Wars movies, and there's room for them. I'd just prefer than any movies that take place after ROTJ that involve Han, Luke, Leia, et be done in animation a la Clone Wars. Then you can just deage Mark's voice as Luke, work with the lady who voiced Leia in Rebels and then either see if Harrison wants to be Han or cast a voice actor.

Reepicheep775 likes this.
  7. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    The uncanny valley effect shouldn't be much of an issue for Force ghost characters, but, somehow, HC in Ahsoka looked awful.

8. Daxon101

Jan 7, 2016
    Because there was no force ghost effect. Maybe because the idea isn't for that to be a force ghost.

9. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    There’s also the option of recasting.

10. BalanceOfTheForce

BalanceOfTheForce Jedi Master star 4

Dec 18, 2016
    I'm surprised deepfake is winning. At the end of the day the acting is more important and deepfake can't give the same level of performance as an actual person which is why I chose recast.

A recasted Luke could theoretically carry a show as the lead, the deepfake could not.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2023
    Watcherwithin likes this.
  11. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    It’s really great to see that the poll shows an equal amount of support for recasting as deepfaking. Demonstrates that at least here, there’s not an overwhelming amount of opposition to recasting Star Wars characters. 50% opposition is still high, but hopefully as time passes, attachments to actors will as well, and we’ll see new faces play the OT gang, Anakin, and a number of other important characters.

Watcherwithin likes this.
  12. Daxon101

Jan 7, 2016
    I don't think we will see a recast of Luke post ROTJ. I think they made their decision to go deepfake and now they will likely stick to it. Was it the right decision? Well it was definately the most ambitious and to a point restricting decision. But i think effects wise they just couldnt help themselves knowing they could do a CGI younger Hamill with todays effects.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2023
  13. Cos Palpatine

Cos Palpatine Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 5, 2022
    As time passes the deepfake technology is just going to keep improving, making recasting even less likely I think.

14. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Plausibly. Though I think it’ll be a long time before a TV show or movie lead is all deepfaked.

Cos Palpatine likes this.
  15. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    Having a preference is not the same as being completely opposed.
    Yes, I'll die one day. Until then, you're just going to have to wait me out.
    Also, a desire for consistency is as much of a reason for people's preference as attachment to actors.

16. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    But consistency is so uneven in other ways. Major differences in tech between the OT, PT and ST era, stylistic differences, etc. To such a degree that I personally think recasting is a pretty light form of inconsistency. Shrug. We’ll see what the future brings.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2023
  17. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    Tech & style < Major characters that people emotionally connect with

This is really a night & day comparison. A major character not looking, sounding, or having the same mannerisms as previously established over many years and media forms is a HUGE inconsistency.

18. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Well, subjectively, sure it’s night and day. That’s a fair opinion to have. And enough fans feels that way that it probably shouldn’t be attempted for now. But I don’t agree. For me, digital animated mannequins disrupt my suspension of disbelief more so than recast characters. I can accept that a different person is interpreting the same character in a story, but I have trouble accepting things that look obviously digital. No brain is the same! :)

Last edited: Sep 11, 2023
    StoneRiver likes this.
  19. StoneRiver

StoneRiver Force Ghost star 4

Oct 6, 2004
    If I don't watch the LA shows, ignore the ST and only watch the rest of the films - recast away!!
    If I watch the LA shows with deepfake MH, don't ignore the ST with older MH, then I can only agree with a deepfake between the MH portrayals.
    I'm using MH as an example because of what's already there.
    If you want to show a character younger, or just before the first portrayal of said character by a particular actor - recast.
    If you want to show to show a character older, or just after the final portrayal of said character by a particular actor - recast.
    If you want to show a character that is between a particular actors first and final portrayals of said character - deepfake (especially when there is already a deepfake there).
    It's not as black and white as recast or deepfake.

2Cleva likes this.
  20. Watcherwithin

Watcherwithin Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2017
    If you’re only concern is surface level physical resemblance, then i guess that follows. But the anti deep fakers are more taking issue with the ethical, cultural and artistic concerns. I know I would rather know that I’m seeing real human skin and speech rather than have a perfect face continuity

21. StoneRiver

Oct 6, 2004
    Alden did a good job as Han.
    Glover did a good job as Lando.
    RO did a good deepfake as Tarkin.
    TBOBF did a good deepfake as Luke.
    All 4 used actors. The deepfake used voice actors too.

Six of one and half a dozen of the other.

2Cleva likes this.
  22. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    Is there a way they can do a bit of both? Recast but tweek the faces with help from Hamil and Ford?

Is is that the reason actors are going on strike in the first place? I firmly believe and expect that Han and Luke will be in Filoni's movie with Leia having slightly more than a cameo while expecting Ben.

23. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Can we please stop calling deaging and digital recreations "deepfakes" unless they're actual deepfakes? Tarkin in RO was not deepfaked. Luke in The Mandalorian was not deepfaked. Luke in TBOBF used a blend of deepfaking and "traditional" CGI.

Deepfaking refers to a very specific method of using machine learning to create a new performance through old footage, not just deaging in general.

Yes, that's how they've done it so far.

24. StoneRiver

Oct 6, 2004
    Perhaps we should change the poll to reflect that? Unless you have another term to cover all digital recreations? In my post I used the 2 terms in the poll, because I think the examples of Tarkin, possibly Leia and more specifically Luke are what is referred to originally, unless I am mistaken?

Last edited: Sep 18, 2023
    Sarge and 2Cleva like this.
  25. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    You're fighting an uphill battle. "Deepfake" has become the catch-all term for digital shenanigans on characters. Accurate or not.

2Cleva, Bor Mullet and TCF-1138 like this.