main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Comics Ahsoka Season One Adaptation from Marvel Comics

Discussion in 'Literature' started by The Positive Fan, Feb 2, 2024.

Tags:
  1. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
  2. clonegeek

clonegeek Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 28, 2022
    Weird they aren't doing Boba and Season 3 first

3. The Positive Fan

Jan 19, 2015
    Strike while the iron's hot, I guess. The fact that we're getting a Thrawn: Alliances adaptation six years after that novel came out does allow for a sliver of hope they might circle back and complete BoBF and Mando season 3, but I don't suggest holding your breath for it.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2024
  4. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Please I am begging you stop adapting shows into comics!

also why has every show except Andor and TBOBF gotten comic adaptions? It can’t be views as BOBF got plenty of those.

anyway as I have said countless times adapting on screen material to a comic makes no sense. What should be done instead is adapt it into a book or junior novel. At least your getting inside the characters head there

ironically this will be the first time Ahsoka shows up in a marvel comic not in a vision or flashback (she has about five of those)

I’ll probably read this when it gets to Marvel unlimited.

5. Sturm Antilles

Sturm Antilles Former Manager star 6

Jun 22, 2000
    Meh. I think the last movie/series adaptation I actually read was Attack of the Clones. If there was additional content from expanded and/or deleted scenes, that would be great, but we know there won't be, which is why this is a skip.

6. The Positive Fan

Jan 19, 2015
    As a completist I buy and read everything and that won't change for this, but yeah, I feel that. It would be nice if these adaptations gave us something a little different - additional scenes, a different POV, something. But Marvel's series adaptations of late have hewed so close to the source material that telling the story as a comic adds little or nothing to the experience.

This is a criticism that doesn't apply to novel adaptations like Thrawn, where the visual format is enough by itself to freshen the story. I'd love to see more novel adaptations - Shadow of the Sith would be an interesting one.

7. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006
    I liked the ROTS adaptation. Especially due to them preserving the conversation Yoda has with Qui-Gon on Polis Massa.

son_of_skywalker03 likes this.
  8. The Positive Fan

Jan 19, 2015
    The Rogue One adaptation was actually really good, which had a lot to do with great artwork but also with it including several moments we didn't see in the film.

Sturm Antilles likes this.
  9. Dream-Thinker

Dream-Thinker Jedi Master star 4

May 20, 2020
    I myself would love more comics based on books, if only so I can see what all of the text-only aliens look like.

10. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    IMO I would much prefer book adaptions to show adaptions

11. Sturm Antilles

Jun 22, 2000
    Sign me up for more book-to-comic adaptations as well. The Thrawn Trilogy comics in the '90s were hugely awesome (despite the fact that I still prefer WEG's depiction of Karrde, Noghri, Bothans, and a few other things) and although it didn't come to pass, Dark Horse originally had plans to adapt The Truce At Bakura as well.

MercenaryAce likes this.
  12. SyndicThrass

SyndicThrass Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 25, 2016
    Make it happen Marvel.

13. clonegeek

Oct 28, 2022
    Honestly, I think it might be just a good idea if Marvel would adapt a mix a of NuCanon and EU books for the comics. I should make a thread on this

14. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    I feel like these comics that are show and movie adaptions are made for the fanatical collectors like some of us are and the rubes who are like my child will like this.

because I will tell you now. If there wasn’t a 50% off sale when I saw the mandalorian in the comic book store I wouldn’t have bought it. And I have read nearly all of canon.

Also this is a genuine question what does a writer do when adapting a movie or show almost word for word? I get that they do the actual writing and cutting out lines when appropriate.

but take TFA which I just read recently on marvel unlimited. There was not an added line in there at all. It’s literally word for word what is said in the movie (minus like a total of 5 blurbs at the start being like (this is Rey she is a scanvager)

So are writers mostly there to figure out what needs to be cut? Like writing a movie adaption doesn’t seem like it would be all that fun. Especially if you cannot add anything.

15. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    ^Yeah, I have absolutely no interest in a comic if it's just 1:1 the same as its original. The only comic adaptation I got for the new canon so far was the Thrawn one, because it actually had some unique stuff, and it's fun to compare how something either looks exactly the same or entirely different to what you imagined while reading a novel.

I feel like they might have some leeway to do add some creative additions to this Ahsoka series, even if it's just small moments to better develop some of the characters. Whether they are allowed to add anything, and if they chose to do it, are the real questions.

16. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    I'm abstractly interested in the purely technical details of adaptation here, because while comic issues in a series are generally all one length, Ahsoka - like many shows in the streaming era - had episode lengths that varied by like 10 minutes or more in some cases. So even if they do a 1:1 issue:episode adaptation it would still involve difference choices from one to another.

That said, I agree that I don't see much of a point to this and I'd be more excited to hear about another novel-to-comic adaptation.

17. Noash_Retrac

Noash_Retrac Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2006
    Yeah, the WEG did well in some regards, particularly Governor Staffa and his aide Fingal. The comic design rubbed me the wrong way when I first read it (though we more or less got an idea of where Dankin's homeworld is from).

Dark House would've done well doing comic adaptions of EVERY novel. To be able to put a face to minor characters would've been cool.

So long as they don't "borrow" fan designs for starships. Give the Marvel illustrators time to breathe and actually research the proper Star Wars starship designs.

18. AvarandElzarsittininatree

AvarandElzarsittininatree Jedi Master star 4

Nov 13, 2021
    Yeah I try to get most all the Marvel Star Wars material but I have no interest in getting movie and TV show adaptions. I like getting new material and I already know that story of the movie and TV show.

When they were still regularly posting sales reports for comics I noticed that adaptions really never sold as well as the regular stuff. Clearly though there is enough of an audience for them to keep on doing it. And perhaps they see it as a way to advertise for their other stuff as some people who normally don't touch comics might consider getting an adaption of a show that they liked.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2024
  19. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    One of the cover variants is by Jan Duursema; that's pretty cool.

WMIRTUTSF and Sturm Antilles like this.
  20. clonegeek

Oct 28, 2022
    They really need to give her a mini series

21. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006
    I really liked the Splinter of the Mind's Eye comic adaptation too.

WMIRTUTSF and Sturm Antilles like this.
  22. Sturm Antilles

Jun 22, 2000
    That is probably my favorite book-to-comic adaptation of them all. Chris Sprouse's penciling is incredible, as were the stunningly gorgeous covers by Hugh Fleming. Throw on a new scene of Vader conferring with Captain Piett and flying out from the Executor and you basically have a perfect package.

QuinlanSolo and Dawud786 like this.
  23. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Well, it's a Marvel Star Wars comic adaptation alright. Art's nothing special, but not bad either.