main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Before the prequels were made, how old were Anakin and Obi-Wan supposed to be?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by DarthStarkiller144, Nov 12, 2023.

1. DarthStarkiller144

DarthStarkiller144 Jedi Padawan star 1

Apr 14, 2023
    Before the prequels were made, how old were Anakin and Obi-Wan supposed to be? I always thought they'd be older, Anakin becoming Vader at 23 always seemed much younger than how originally he was imagined. Do you think Anakin was also originally intended to look like this James Dean-esque character?

Mod EDIT: Moved from Lit

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 12, 2023
  2. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    I feel like this should be for another forum.

And it's also kind of vague... are you asking what age they should have been when Anakin became Vader?
    If so, 20s makes sense, as that's when Luke was also tempted, and it's a popular age for protagonists. Obi-wan being about 15 years older also makes sense to me.

CLee likes this.
  3. iFrankenstein

iFrankenstein Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 24, 2020
    In ANH, Obi-Wan was 60, Vader was 55, and the Clone Wars ended 35 years ago. Palpatine didn’t rise to power until after the Clone Wars, and the Jedi Purge didn’t happen until the Empire had already been around for a while, but Anakin had already turned to the dark side and been killing Jedi in secret before that.

As for Anakin’s appearance, that comes from the ROTJ novelization: “striking, and grand, with a wry tilt to his brow that hinted of invincibility and took in all of life with a wink.”

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 12, 2023
  4. CLee

CLee Jedi Knight star 3

Jun 18, 2017
    If I had to say I would also see them as older, that by ANH Obi-Wan was Guiness's actual age 62 (give or take 5 years) and Anakin just 2-5 years younger so they would likely have been early 40s and late 30s for the turning dark 20 years ago. So Obi-Wan's actually seen depiction is pretty in line except with Anakin being much rather than just slightly younger than him.

5. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    I'd say it was intended to have a much more considerable time gap than that. As much as like 50 years or so. Imperial propaganda or not, people would know that Jedi were a thing literally not even two decades ago

But we have Han, for instance, who's what, in his 30s, saying he doesn't even believe in Jedi or the Force. Even growing up an orphan on the streets of Corellia, I find it hard to believe he wouldn't have heard of the Jedi since he grew up in the middle of the first galaxy-wide war in 1000 years

It's definitely implied (and likely intended by Lucas at the time) that it's been quite some time

6. Iron_lord

Iron_lord 35X Wacky Wednesday/25x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 2, 2012
    "Surely he must be dead by now"
    "Don't underestimate the Force"

Perhaps a hint that Force-sensitives live longer than regular people and that Obi-Wan is way past the normal human lifespan.

7. CLee

CLee Jedi Knight star 3

Jun 18, 2017
    But Luke is/looks about 20 and Obi-Wan couldn't have stopped being Jedi, gone into hiding after and due to the falling out *that* much more before Luke was born.

Watcherwithin and Ghost like this.
  8. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    You could probably fudge it as "first major Jedi purge takes place a few decades before Luke is born, but Vader eventually clashes with Obi-Wan a few months before Luke is born"

In the RotJ novel, Vader is estranged from his wife and doesn't know she's pregnant, when Obi-Wan sets out to hide her and the children.

9. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    That still only gives us a period of 9 months. Really less, for Anakin's wife to leave him before he realizes she is pregnant. Which means Anakin becoming Vader couldn't have happed more than 19-20 years before ANH.

I think it makes sense for Obi-wan to be that much older than Anakin, since Anakin was his student.

Watcherwithin likes this.
  10. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Han never said that he didn't know about the Jedi, just that he didn't believe in the Force. He called it a hokey religion and simple tricks done with luck. Vader snatching his blaster and Luke kicking ass and taking names changed his mind.

11. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Han also clearly knew the meaning of "May the Force be with you" in ANH.

12. Tia

Tia Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2022
    That's just being pedantic

you can believe in Shaolin monks without believing they have authority of gravity defying martial arts for example, I think it was quite clear what Seagoat meant

Sarge likes this.
  13. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Believing that they existed and were the guardians of the peace before the war is not the same as witnessing objects moved with a gesture. Much less Han seeing Luke take on a couple of dozen men with just a laser sword and winning.

14. Tia

Oct 11, 2022
    that's what I just said dude

15. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    I suppose you could say that even if Han heard stories about the Jedi that people were exaggerating, but take into account that ROTS establishes that Palpatine's story was that that Jedi attempted a hostile takeover of the Republic

He's been emperor for less than 20 years. For someone who's been "from one end of this galaxy to the other", even if he doesn't care about politics, doesn't it seem strange that even the official story is that their emperor survived an assassination attempt by space monks who can move things with their minds, and he's still a Force-atheist?

16. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    Doesn't seem strange at all to me. Han was very far away from that when it happened, and if he even heard of it, likely just dismissed it as exaggeration or assumed that the Jedi messed him up with their lightsabers. However, I doubt he gave it too much thought.

17. Tia

Oct 11, 2022
    yeah...but Chewbacca

"So this dude called Yoda..."

"stop talking bull **** again Chewy"

so yeah it is a bit strange...to me :p

Sarge likes this.
  18. Tom Skywalker

Tom Skywalker Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 18, 2020
    According to A Guide to the Star Wars Universe, Second Edition, it seems that Anakin's original birth year was 55 BBY instead of 41 BBY:

That would make him 37 years old when he became Darth Vader and 59 years old when he died in ROTJ.

Although Sebastian Shaw was 77 when he played Anakin in ROTJ, he could definitely pass as a man in his late fifties or early sixties IMHO. The prequel timeline just screwed everything up.

19. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    The idea that Anakin was already Vader, secretly, as of the tail-end of the Clone Wars, was certainly what Zahn went with - Vader discovers the Noghri around 35 BBY, very shortly after a Clone Wars warship crashes on their planet and devastates their ecosystem, defeats them, offers them mercy, and brings them into the Empire. Probably Zahn had that "35 BBY was when Clone Wars ended" timeline detail already when writing Dark Force Rising.

Presumably in that version of the pre-ANH period, Vader was able to keep his evilness from his wife for a while before she finally caught on, and left him.

BlackRanger and Sarge like this.
  20. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Where were you disagreeing, then?

And from Obi-wan and all the Jedi too?

It makes much more sense the way the timeline was changed.

21. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    It's not that different from Lucas's idea that Sifo-Dyas was a secret Sith, and Maul's predecessor as Sidious's main apprentice, despite being a Jedi Master and on the Jedi Council.

Darkslayer likes this.
  22. Tia

Oct 11, 2022
    I've actually no clue, lol

23. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Not really. Between October of 1986 and April of 87, we lived in a haunted house. My stepfather did not believe it because he didn't witness it, due to his being a truck driver. Same with my mom's dad. Until someone sees the impossible, they will deny it.

BlackRanger likes this.
  24. The Emotional Jedi

The Emotional Jedi Jedi Knight star 3

May 18, 2021
    To be fair, Lucas didn't put this idea into practice, so you can't really use that as an argument.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2023
    El Jedi Colombiano likes this.
  25. Tia

Oct 11, 2022
    nevermind

this seems right to me.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2023